Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
functionality was the most important aspect of web design, now just pure analytics.

Yes, but there's a feedback loop between analytics and design. Good design will produce good analytics.

I think the suits do care about good design, but good design is HARD. Some people think designing a website is easier now that you have so many tools at your beck and call to simplify the task, but the availability of better tools is more than canceled out by the explosively expanding universe of options and possibilities. I think it is harder than ever to design a good website. It used to be common to find one person who could spin up a professional looking modern website from soup to nuts. Now they are few and far in between.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Parallax design is otherwise known as a design whose main method of navigation is scrolling instead of clicking. That AAA site most definitely uses parallax design. It appears to me like a site that might have been solid in the concept phase, but got crapified by too many stakeholders having power to force changes.

So, I agree with you that the OP's and other people's complaints sound like people who think everything was always better before. I've been building websites either as a hobby or professionally since the first days of the Web. I see no dramatic increase in the prevalance of badly designed websites. They were just badly designed in other ways before.

Bad design used to look bad. I mean really bad. It looked so bad you felt sorry for whoever did it or paid for that work before you closed out your browser and went somewhere else. Now bad design often looks visually attractive because we have so many strong design patterns to borrow from and robust templates that can be setup (badly) even by novices.

I think that bad design can appear to be pleasing leads more people to be offended by it because they no longer recognize it as simply being bad design, but as something that is attempting to insult their intelligence. It looks so good that it gives you the impression that somebody out there thought that if they threw up some pretty pictures and fancy fonts, most people would be too placid to care or even notice.

I would argue that people who think design is worse today than it was yesterday are just late to the party. I also think they're wrong.

I suggest you read my first post that kicked this off, to calibrate your assumptions of what I'm judging. :) We may have different thoughts on what we call bad websites. I don't think any of my critiques have to do with preferences or just not liking the looks of what young whippersnappers are doing nowadays. Mine are more about the UIx and a more cumbersome, less intuitive and efficient experience on certain platforms, primarily desktop/laptop or even iPad.

I've gotten some answers as to why "bad websites" (bad, IMHO) are prioritized for mobile-first, desktop/laptop user be damned (or just disregarded in the shuffle).

I contended and still do that the abandoning of designing an intro web page so the main content (or links to get there using a menu hierarchy that appears and isn't buried under a hamburger or gear icon) fits on the load screen, to get the user situated and started without having to go on a scroll tour, is asinine. I contended and still do that abandoning the smart use of borders, high-contrasty colors, buttons, etc. just to have an iOS-ish whiteout appearance is just asinine. I.e., certain UIx tools once heralded as best in class 10 years ago but now considered to be "clutter" and "distracting" to "smart users who no longer need them." When navigating a mouse on a small screen that's zoomed out in order to compensate for today's too-expansive too-vertical scroll-requiring large-unnecessary-image websites, a large-ish button to hover over & click is sure nice vs. being presented with a small < or > or ^ or v symbol that's flat-design (and therefore often unclear if it's clickable) just because of some imagined need to make websites look like iOS. When it takes 2 trips down then up then back down again just to understand what's on a 100-foot tall website like AAA, that's just asinine. At that point why not make it an infinite loop and have a special link and oversize picture to every link in the webpage and link within the menu hierarchy.

Those are the elements of bad design. Critiques more about the UIx and user experience than about how it looks.

look at the new cars on the road today, they look similar and nothing breath taking.
the racing bicycles all look the same dark frame, one color type.
the world produces simplified and inside this "box" things.
of course, websites will look similar now.
functionality was the most important aspect of web design, now just pure analytics.

Bingo. that's something I've been saying all along. You can refine the Kleenex, hotdog, pencil only so far before you start lipsticking a pig and changing just for the sake of change. iOS, websites, computers....they're a lot more complex than Kleenex but the point is, what was good 7 years ago was pretty damn good, and what's new now will be old later. So is it right we should expect a radical overhaul of iOS soon, something that looks worlds different than iOS 6 & prior, and iOS7-iOS11/12? Does that seem like the right thing to do? How many "best" ways are there to do things on a small screen?

The unavoidable need to dabble unnecessarily in the quest for more sales growth is the root of my complaints, I believe.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I suggest you read my first post that kicked this off, to calibrate your assumptions of what I'm judging.

Those are the elements of bad design. Critiques more about the UIx and user experience than about how it looks.

That's actually in line with what I thought your point was. I'm not distinguishing between whether something looks good and if it has good design. In my book, something that had good design will almost always look pleasing if not good. An all text page looks pleasing if the right fonts are chosen in combination and the layout is right for the content and purpose of the page.

My point is that, design isn't any worse than it was back in the day. It was always this bad if not worse. We simply have moved on to a different expression of bad design. I've been pushing back on clients asking me for the wrong design approach for the wrong message for the wrong organization for over 15 years.

Websites that existed entirely as Flash animations used to be a significant chunk of the Web. That alone is something that today's bad design can't even hope to touch.

Flat design is an important element of good modern design, but as I said above, good design is HARD. Yes, there are plenty of half wit designers out there or no wit management forcing the wrong approach, but it is not hard to imagine scenarios in which flat design was the right call for the original goal, but expanding complexities of the project outstripped the design toolbox or skills available to the project team. You can get to this point in more ways than just hipster designers.

One thing you have to consider is that yesterday's websites were never asked to do as much as our website are asked to do today. It was a lot easier to come up with a solid design 10 years ago and stick to it. Now sites are so enormously large and far more complex that even when your current design has outlived its original purpose, coming up with a new one isn't always a viable option. If you design with the sensibilities that were prevalent before the mobile age, you will fix one glaring issue of our day, but end up with a whole host of different design issues.

Designers understand this better than anyone. This is HARD and a lot of people are in above their heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tozovac

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i just finished a free website (3 hours, 4 days to improve) that only has published cartoon i drew for newspapers in those 1980-90s. no text, no effects, no java, no about, no contact, just swipe to the next cartoon.
I'm just happy the feeble platform performs on all devices with downloading every click!

i used to build webpages from scratch on dreamweaver CS3 from background to links pages.
[doublepost=1534192952][/doublepost]
My point is that, design isn't any worse than it was back in the day. It was always this bad if not worse. We simply have moved on to a different expression of bad design. I've been pushing back on clients asking me for the wrong design approach for the wrong message for the wrong organization for over 15 years.

i don't not miss those days of clients moaning "I love red...really i do!"
after finishing a nice medium brown themed site for a coffee shop.
those buttons and GIFs are hard to replace,

Reactions: smirking

Eightarmedpet

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
London's famous London
Parallax design is otherwise known as a design whose main method of navigation is scrolling instead of clicking. That AAA site most definitely uses parallax design. It appears to me like a site that might have been solid in the concept phase, but got crapified by too many stakeholders having power to force changes.

So, I agree with you that the OP's and other people's complaints sound like people who think everything was always better before. I've been building websites either as a hobby or professionally since the first days of the Web. I see no dramatic increase in the prevalance of badly designed websites. They were just badly designed in other ways before.

Bad design used to look bad. I mean really bad. It looked so bad you felt sorry for whoever did it or paid for that work before you closed out your browser and went somewhere else. Now bad design often looks visually attractive because we have so many strong design patterns to borrow from and robust templates that can be setup (badly) even by novices.

I think that bad design can appear to be pleasing leads more people to be offended by it because they no longer recognize it as simply being bad design, but as something that is attempting to insult their intelligence. It looks so good that it gives you the impression that somebody out there thought that if they threw up some pretty pictures and fancy fonts, most people would be too placid to care or even notice.

I would argue that people who think design is worse today than it was yesterday are just late to the party. I also think they're wrong. There have never been more people who have an awareness of what design is for and what it's supposed to do. Case in point: a lot of the people commenting in this thread aren't designers, but they have a rather strong awareness of design. I don't think this is a conversation we would be having 20 years ago unless we're shacked up in the headquarters of a design agency.

Parallax is where items at the front move at a different speed to items at the back.
[doublepost=1534347772][/doublepost]Intro page... you guys crack me up. Can I recommend you guys buy something called bitcoins, because I imagine they are still sub $10 where you’re from.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Parallax is where items at the front move at a different speed to items at the back.

Otherwise known as another "change for the sake of change" feature since Jony was unsatisfied with 3-D looking buttons that worked pretty effectively as a UIx tool and looked great, so he taxed the operating system/processor with parallax. Because parallax was so much better, I mean, different, than before.
[doublepost=1534349999][/doublepost]
Intro page... you guys crack me up. Can I recommend you guys buy something called bitcoins, because I imagine they are still sub $10 where you’re from.

The point is more - having to constantly scroll around the web designer's "portfolio of huge images with lots of wasted space" in order to understand what basic content lies before you has gotten to be a real hassle over time. When logging into paypal or my electric company to get my bill, I don't need a fancy large image at the "intro page," requiring me to scroll lower just to get to some key info. These huge images seem more for the sake of giving the designer something interesting to do rather than the user. Maybe being greeted with a large image was cute the first time in 2013. Now with that at most every site, it's a cliché in the least and an efficiency-buster at the worst. Example:

https://www.duquesnelight.com

I know there's not a universal screen size that designers could all cater to so that all users can see the "main" info needed at first load and w/o having to scroll, but if more sites were more like Amazon where you can do 99.9% of what you need to do upon the 1st screen load (intro page) since the tools are so well arranged up top, the world would be a better place.

Making things feel "easy" and effortless to the user, as if things just happen, is good design practice which has been strayed from, because once one big player (Apple) does it, all the lemmings must follow, for better or for worse. Just like automotive design. You can take that bitcoin money to the bank.

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Thank you! You're correct. I had been using that term wrong. I simply meant "scrolling website" where scrolling and link anchors are the dominant form of navigation.
[doublepost=1534366211][/doublepost]
Maybe being greeted with a large image was cute the first time in 2013. Now with that at most every site, it's a cliché in the least and an efficiency-buster at the worst. Example:

https://www.duquesnelight.com

I do think that hero image banner at the top is a slight bit too large, but if that's your example of egregious waste of space, I suspect that if we put you in a time machine back to 1998, you're still going to be unhappy. In 1998, we were getting greeted with something even worse. We got useless splash pages, homepage Flash animations, and autoplaying movies that took forever to load because we didn't have real streaming video yet.

Making things feel "easy" and effortless to the user, as if things just happen, is good design practice which has been strayed from, because once one big player (Apple) does it, all the lemmings must follow, for better or for worse. Just like automotive design. You can take that bitcoin money to the bank.

I don't know why Apple is so central to this complaint. They made minimalism and use of negative space look good by doing it well (most of the time), but that style of low information density design had been growing in popularity long before Apple became relevant again. Microsoft was well known for creating all sorts of pages that had nothing but a ginormous image with text at 100 pt. size on it.

It'd also be a stretch to say that people are still taking their media design cues from Apple. My clients used to always point to Apple as an example of what they wanted their sites to look like, but they don't do that anymore. Now they point at Tesla or some other hot company du jour and like the conversations we'd have about "your company isn't Apple," I now have to explain, "Your needs are different from Tesla. That might be cool, but I don't think it's the right approach for you."

Last edited:
Reactions: Tozovac

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
look at the new cars on the road today, they look similar and nothing breath taking.
the racing bicycles all look the same dark frame, one color type.
the world produces simplified and inside this "box" things.
of course, websites will look similar now.

Hmm.

Racing cycles look the same because they follow the UCI pro-competition design rules which were laid down roughly in the stone age. Plenty of people don't like these rules but like F1 if you want to ride in the Tour de France, you gotta follow the design rules. There are plenty of non-UCI road bikes that look very different and are often faster on the road, e.g. recumbents or partially / fully faired road bikes but people don't buy them en masse because they 'look different'.

New cars look similar because of aero, safely rules, mass market appeal, and because there are only a few car companies left. You're also ignoring the differences between pickup trucks, hatchbacks, sedans, estate cars, people carriers, camper vans, three wheelers, chelsea tractors, SUVs etc. For minority tastes, there's the Caterhams, TVRs, Minis, Mazda MX-5, a dozen others I don't know about; Japanese styles - Bosozoku, Onikyan, Kei, Bippu, Itasha, Dekotora etc; auto-rickshaw styles - tuk-tuks, chingchees etc in India, Pakistan, Philippines and other places.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Remember, Humans do not want to think anymore, or they forgot how to.
what is popular? those 14 XMen yearly movies, hippide hop'n music an texting while driving.
who wants to look at a website that is creative and has any depth?

SO
i wanted to see when the NFL Denver Broncos are playing this week
So
I visit denverbroncos dot com their official website
SO
I click the schedule part on the menu
SO
the first game shown was Seattle Sept?
SO
i tried looking when the Broncos are playing this weekend
SO
i got tired of looking, or trying to figure out were to look
SO
i came here to support how bad websites are being made today.

please don't not reply about the politics of NFL, or Kapernick not being a bronco, i just don't care!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Hmm.

Racing cycles look the same because they follow the UCI pro-competition design rules which were laid down roughly in the stone age. Plenty of people don't like these rules but like F1 if you want to ride in the Tour de France, you gotta follow the design rules. There are plenty of non-UCI road bikes that look very different and are often faster on the road, e.g. recumbents or partially / fully faired road bikes but people don't buy them en masse because they 'look different'.

New cars look similar because of aero, safely rules, mass market appeal, and because there are only a few car companies left. You're also ignoring the differences between pickup trucks, hatchbacks, sedans, estate cars, people carriers, camper vans, three wheelers, chelsea tractors, SUVs etc. For minority tastes, there's the Caterhams, TVRs, Minis, Mazda MX-5, a dozen others I don't know about; Japanese styles - Bosozoku, Onikyan, Kei, Bippu, Itasha, Dekotora etc; auto-rickshaw styles - tuk-tuks, chingchees etc in India, Pakistan, Philippines and other places.

Racing cycles, F1, Tour de France... contests not for the common man but for a very limited set of participants who volunteered to compete for entertainment value where it makes sense to level the playing ground and prescribe participants to use same/similar tools if they wish to compete.

Who's forcing websites to design "art" splash hero images in place of efficiency to the user? Who's forcing websites to be so mobile-centric and handicap the desktop/laptop experience? They themselves are, by their own decisions. I have yet to read of issues iOS users experienced before 2013 that suggested a radical new UIx redesign was required, other than the whims & decisions of Jony Ive & co.

Nobody forced Apple to compete in some minimalism design contest where the least amount of colored pixels could be used and where the world needed to morph away from headphones and USB-A devices like disposable one-use straws. But Apple forces users to be participants in seeing how many pixels, details, ports, buttons, jacks, etc., they can remove and still keep making billions.

For the automotive example, I tend to think @Expobill was referring to how all passenger cars look virtually alike beyond the mandated high-hoods...most all automakers lemmingly pirated Audi's badge grille, sometimes to caricutare-like silliness (even Audi now has added hard edges that look more like Hyundai's 2014 interpretation of 2000's Audi badge/shield grilles...)...or that stupid blacked-out c-pillar floating roof fad we're stuck with for now...10 years ago fake front vendor ports were all the rage... One could argue that in the 60's everyone pirated fins...70's had landau tops and velour interiors... But before ~2005 a Toyota looked like a Toyota, a BMW looked like a BMW, a Pontiac, a Saab, etc....Now everyone looks like everyone in the areas they *could* be different from others.

Funny you list all the different vehicle types. If only Apple felt slightly the same way - all they offer is a grey sedan with a crappy keyboard, a slightly slower grey sedan but with a few more creature comforts, and a small coupe with a crappy keyboard and even less cupholders. I would love an offroad iPhone to fix the fragility design flaw. Or a party bus iPhone with....a headphone jack.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
bad website design:
upload_2018-8-19_7-50-42.png

who scored the top points?
who scored the bottom points?
ahh, you do the math!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
yes, it hard to find REAL information on the site, Thursday i wanted to check when the broncos were playing this weekend, i could not find out, so i forgot about the game and forgot to watch. the website features too many miss directs and bad photography ex: bunch of fannies were depicted on the practice squad instead of action photos.
lazy carless design, but hey who is their competition? no one! thanks NFLs!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
bad website design:
View attachment 776753
who scored the top points?
who scored the bottom points?
ahh, you do the math!

This is a really great example of my critique over all the recent (past 5 year) dumbing down of digital design in general.

Before: Apple puts their best tools forward...best UIx principles developed upon decades of study. The world's lemmings designers having varying degrees of skill and wisdom follow Apple's best-in-class methods to generally good results.

After: Google/Microsoft go flat & monochromatic since they have to be different than the world-class Apple iOS; Jony Ive seizes this as an opportunity to insert his penchant for flat/monochromatic/minimalist into the software with a completely unnecessary iOS redesign that's form-ahead-of-function and rather unintuitive at times, "catching up" to Microsoft & Google's "fresh new designs." The world's lemmings designers follow blindly because that's what they do, but they target uncluttered, borderless gradient-heavy low-contrast minimalist presentations like the above example; but since their willingness to blindly follow far outweighs their actual talent, what results too often are these rather unintuitive "fresh, uncluttered" presentations that require a little extra cognitive processing more often than 5 years ago, and is just plain stupid.

Those dumb horizontal sports scores seen often in Facebook the past few years are just plain stupid. Waiting for this fad to pass...

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Websites are bland. There are truly very few spectacular west's in today's world. We've seen it done before. Someone has to come up with something new. What will it be?

I'm curious - what's bland today?

I've asked often but with never a reply: what was truly broken & needing fixed with iOS and non-flat non-mobile-prioritized websites before around 2013 that required iOS7, which has been the root of today's flat/clean-look/spread-out websites?

What's gained when you one day log into Ebay and see an item where the page is completely redesigned in mostly blue-on-white where all the info is spread out more than before and more difficult and time-consuming to find than before? At least it's different (and the advantage is...?)

It's so easy in the digital world to quickly iterate and come up with something really good. That was Apple OSX in the 00's (I started using Apple in 2005), where each OSX was just a minor tweak/improvement, compared to Windows' complete reinventions every few years (which I'd always considered to be their admitting what they had before sucked so try THIS, only to repeat it in 4 years).

I'm curious to see the how Jony Ive extricates himself the corner he painted himself into. iOS 7 was just a change for sake of change. So what will be the next radically reinvented iOS? I'm somewhat frightened at the prospects of a new Jony IveOS, and the resulting cascade of redesigned websites and digital content that will inevitably follow Apple's lead.

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Because flat design is cheap.

Anyone can draw a rectangle with “Click me” written inside it.

3D effects, shadows, illusions of reflections and other things, that thing takes time and talent to do.

Only skilled artists can make Aqua style GUI.

Everyone can make flat single colored polygons.

And, I have more sad news for you who hate flat design, you will not see this leaving anytime soon. It seems everyone is going this way, and it will not change anytime soon.

Me, personally, I do not really like it, but I got used to it. And I am glad that at least Mac OS has preserved some of the non flat elements. I miss Aqua, but this Mac we have today is OK also.

As for webpages...they are ugly, but what can you do. Keep browsing. :)

MacDaddy85

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Personally, I love the modern style of minimalist design with high-res photos and large, beautiful header fonts, so I disagree completely with the thread title. It's easy on the eyes and makes for clear, simple navigation. What's not to like?

I just can't wrap my head around someone claiming today's web design is ugly, but the past's was not.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Because flat design is cheap.

Bad design is cheap. Flat design that's done well is rare and isn't cheap at all. UI/UX designers are paid better than graphics designers. You could hire a couple of graphics designers for the cost of a middle level UI/UX designer. Besides that, hardly anyone is doing truly flat design anymore. It was too hard to get right. Most of what people think of flat design is actually something that could be called skeuminimalism.

Skeuminimalism is something in between the old skeumorphic school of design and the flat school of design. It veers more toward flat design, but it rescues some useful conventions from the skeumorphism days.

3D effects, shadows, illusions of reflections and other things, that thing takes time and talent to do.

Those aren't really hard to do. There are libraries and plugins galore to do all sorts of visually offensive things to your website and people have abused those libraries so much that experienced designers wouldn't even want to touch those effects.

It's true that a skilled graphics designer can create something truly stunning way beyond the reach of some Web jockey clicking their way through a bunch of Photoshop plugins and packaged jQuery UI animations. It's just that hardly anyone thinks it's a good idea to overdesign a website like that because if you're designing a website the way you design a glossy magazine cover, you're probably doing it wrong. Too much design for the job at hand leads to poor usability.

Personally, I love the modern style of minimalist design with high-res photos and large, beautiful header fonts, so I disagree completely with the thread title. It's easy on the eyes and makes for clear, simple navigation. What's not to like?

I just can't wrap my head around someone claiming today's web design is ugly, but the past's was not.

Well, I do agree with some of the peanut gallery that minimalism is overdone and tired. I just think they're being way too charitable to their memories of the good old days. I don't remember those days at all. If anything, I side with you on thinking that there was way more hideous design to be found in the good ol' days than there is today.

On the other hand, we tend to have more boring designs today. We could use a little more creativity to liven up modern interfaces without getting carried away back to 2004, but I'd rather have pedestrian design than hideous design. Few of us visit websites to admire the beautiful work of the site's designer. We go there to do a task.

Reactions: decafjava

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Bad design is cheap. Flat design that's done well is rare and isn't cheap at all. UI/UX designers are paid better than graphics designers. You could hire a couple of graphics designers for the cost of a middle level UI/UX designer. Besides that, hardly anyone is doing truly flat design anymore. It was too hard to get right. Most of what people think of flat design is actually something that could be called skeuminimalism.

Skeuminimalism is something in between the old skeumorphic school of design and the flat school of design. It veers more toward flat design, but it rescues some useful conventions from the skeumorphism days.

Those aren't really hard to do. There are libraries and plugins galore to do all sorts of visually offensive things to your website and people have abused those libraries so much that experienced designers wouldn't even want to touch those effects.

It's true that a skilled graphics designer can create something truly stunning way beyond the reach of some Web jockey clicking their way through a bunch of Photoshop plugins and packaged jQuery UI animations. It's just that hardly anyone thinks it's a good idea to overdesign a website like that because if you're designing a website the way you design a glossy magazine cover, you're probably doing it wrong. Too much design for the job at hand leads to poor usability.

Well, I do agree with some of the peanut gallery that minimalism is overdone and tired. I just think they're being way too charitable to their memories of the good old days. I don't remember those days at all. If anything, I side with you on thinking that there was way more hideous design to be found in the good ol' days than there is today.

On the other hand, we tend to have more boring designs today. We could use a little more creativity to liven up modern interfaces without getting carried away back to 2004, but I'd rather have pedestrian design than hideous design. Few of us visit websites to admire the beautiful work of the site's designer. We go there to do a task.

Interesting thoughts, thank you.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014

I didn't call websites ugly, I do feel they're awful in many instances now in ways that weren't an issue some time "before." (or before iOS7, to be blunt)

My critiques are focused on the loss of function often, for the sake of meeting a certain fashion trend that to me started mostly with iOS7. I say that because with Apple as (still) the undeniable trend-setter that "everyone" tends to follow (sometimes off a cliff), it seemed the issues I noticed started soon after iOS7 landed.

Rather than ugly, I call many of today’s sites unnecessarily trendy and, in many cases, oversimplified by inexperienced designers trying to appeal more to today’s minimalist aesthetic fad than yesterday’s smart focus on efficiency and intuitiveness. When a designer strove to follow functionality trends, some of their weaknesses wouldn't be so apparent. But when a designer strives to follow a certain look, their weaknesses are rather strongly noticed, IMHO.

Like an actor or actress who prioritizes wanting to look and be famous instead of be a great actor first.

As a result, many functions are much less intuitive and less easy to find than they were five or so years ago IMHO, due to some blind adherence to things that feel timely and updated but ultimately have noticeably questionable trade offs.

If you're lucky enough to land on a site which hasn't succumbed to the "mobile-experience-first"aesthetic which renders desk/laptop users having to endure much wasted white space and flat icons, you're too often presented with a "grand entrance" of a large pretty image or movie. A year or so ago (it's been mobile-first updated since then), going to PayPal‘s website or several of the websites of banks where I have an account, I don't need a grand mini movie or well-staged photograph taking up the entire screen instead of the oils-hat way of using the space efficiently and for intuitive usage. It’s as if they're set up for first-time users only who need eye-candy to stay on the site. Like the first time you walk into a new kitchen that was just remodeled. Then, and maybe even the second time that you are introduced to it, it’s OK to take a pause and be given a grand tour of something new and beautiful. Perhaps it’s the owner or the remodeler who wants to take a moment and show you around because they are proud of their work. Everything is clean and put away. You’re not sure where everything is because things are in new locations, buried behind closed drawers, but you take the pause to see something new and then you're soon ready to get down to business. After your second visit, the grand presentation is pretty useless if not downright annoying. Plus the toaster you use every day is behind a cabinet drawer every new day. At today’s sites vs. the olden days of 2012, You now have to click through buried icons/menus to find a function that used to be out in the open, since they were removed in order to have an updated-looking clean aesthetic and not distract from the grand presentation. You often have to click on an hourglass icon to then be presented the search window, which you then have to click in to start typing to be do what you need to do, taking several steps that used to be accomplished in one back when it was function-first you used to click on the search window that was always present at the top of the screen.

This:

Few of us visit websites to admire the beautiful work of the site's designer. We go there to do a task.

I also call "dumb" the all-light-blue (or grey) -on-white flat presentation which is pretty commonplace now, for "updated" websites who change in order to keep up with the Joneses. It's as if everyone's ignored what's been forged into user's brains from the early 90's to early 2010's where anything light blue or grey on plain white used to mean a "dead" website or unselectable option. Now, light blue or grey buttonless text is a function? That's still issue-causing to me, especially when you do land on some site where light blue or grey buttonless text means "not available." Worse, it's frequently light-light-blue or light-light-grey, and often very difficult to read (if not downright impossible outdoors).

Similar to the post a few days earlier about sports scores: Minimalist, somewhat contextual-less, but "new" and updated. And mostly flat, and with a sort-of gradient effect, two fads which haven't died yet.

I know this is all a repeat. But each week I seem to stumble to find something in a new site where I need to get some business done, where what should be out in the open is not nearly as apparent as all the white open space or grand figure/animation.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I know this is all repeat :) but I so love todays websites more than the olden days when the UI was designed by non UI experts, often computer engineers who have a mind that only works for other engineers. It used to be a mess with functions and little buttons all over the place. Give me this minimalist look that only provides you what you need when you need. So much better.

In fact it is actually rather old design principle. Saab started it in their fighter jets for their pilots, and then trickled that down to their cars as well. I was pretty cool to see most of you dash and buttons switched off at night, helps keep the focus on what is important, and only when the situation arises then the relevant groups of functions will appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.