Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Quite the contrary. Google is using VP8 which is a open source royalty free codec. Apple refuses to support it (for no good reason). YouTube has to compress and host all this video - it makes sense they won't support multiple codecs.
Google went back on its intent to support youtube 4K on iOS. They are not without fault here.

Reactions: martyjmclean

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Also the ability to LEAVE videos @ 1080p. This is annoying to have to do over and over.
I don’t care for 1440p. What I care about is iOS not remembering the setting and defaults to 360p! All the freaking time. That’s redicilous.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don’t care for 1440p. What I care about is iOS not remembering the setting and defaults to 360p! All the freaking time. That’s redicilous.
Yeah. iOS YouTube app does not remember quality settings at all! On the flip side however, I do not need to worry about eating away too much of my data allowance when watching a YouTube video, and I now often just listen to video than actually watching it. I want to have something English grinding my ears more than before.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Quite the contrary. Google is using VP8 which is a open source royalty free codec. Apple refuses to support it (for no good reason). YouTube has to compress and host all this video - it makes sense they won't support multiple codecs.

This sad to know.

Apple logic is really backwards sometimes.
[doublepost=1560269179][/doublepost]
Yeah. iOS YouTube app does not remember quality settings at all! On the flip side however, I do not need to worry about eating away too much of my data allowance when watching a YouTube video, and I now often just listen to video than actually watching it. I want to have something English grinding my ears more than before.

I have 100GB a month and also WiFi virtually everywhere.

When I watch something, I’d rather watch it in the best quality possible and make use of the “Super Retina” Screen in my XS Max and especially on the iPad.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The annoying thing about not it is my XS max has a awesome screen. And when you watch a video and it looks like the persona talking is melting because of the poor video quality I’m like really? At first I thought there was something wrong with my phone or internet connection. But nope not even close.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I never have this issue. Just checked on WiFi and cellular only and it never defaults to 360p

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Despite costing up to more than $1,440 US dollars, the iPhone XS Max does not have 1440p resolution, unlike my Galaxy Note 4 from 2014. I know that's not the reason, but it technically doesn't meet the full height requirement beyond 1080p.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Google could also bend, IMO.
It would cost apple nothing to add vp9 decoding support in the media player framework in the iOS SDK.

Exactly!

Far easier for Apple to just support it.
[doublepost=1560444803][/doublepost]
Despite costing up to more than $1,440 US dollars, the iPhone XS Max does not have 1440p resolution, unlike my Galaxy Note 4 from 2014. I know that's not the reason, but it technically doesn't meet the full height requirement beyond 1080p.

You would see benefit of 1440pHDR60FPS

I hope the next phone will have 4K HDR 120Hz or at least, the 2020 one.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I don’t know who it’s easier for but neither side wants to tackle this.

Ignore who it is easier for to implement and look at who is getting paid. iOS users pay apple for a premium experience. It is apple that has failed in this situation.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ignore who it is easier for to implement and look at who is getting paid. iOS users pay apple for a premium experience. It is apple that has failed in this situation.
What does getting paid have to do with this? Nothing. I put the blame on YouTube as this is the web, but that is my opinion and your opinion is your opinion.

Reactions: martyjmclean

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Just a note, on my XS Max, it seems to depend on Internet speed, I opened YouTube today and the video went straight to 720P and another video then followed on with 720P@60FPS.

It also depends on the quality the video was upload, rather than internet speed.
[doublepost=1560511132][/doublepost]
Are you talking about the iPhone?

Well of course.

4K HDR has been done in phones.

120Hz has been done on iPad and Phones.
[doublepost=1560511188][/doublepost]
I just don't understand why on AppleTV there's no option to use a software decoder for vp9. If a core 2 quad can decode vp9 4k an actively cooled a10 could as well.

Yeah, exactly.

You would think that Apple can simply allow the iPhone to decode the 1440 / 2160 footage.

Fair play to Google - they ADDED HDR Support for iPhone!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well of course.

4K HDR has been done in phones.

120Hz has been done on iPad and Phones.
Ok. I was just checking, because the idea that the next iPhone would have 4K is beyond wishful thinking. I would be really stoked if Apple did it in 2020, but given that Samsung hasn't even done it yet, and they had 1440p 6 years ago (while the iPhone still doesn't have it), it's pretty unlikely.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.