Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Ok. I was just checking, because the idea that the next iPhone would have 4K is beyond wishful thinking. I would be really stoked if Apple did it in 2020, but given that Samsung hasn't even done it yet, and they had 1440p 6 years ago (while the iPhone still doesn't have it), it's pretty unlikely.

I did say more for the 2020 iPhone as this year will see the camera upgrade and A13.

But it would be amazing to have.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
It also depends on the quality the video was upload, rather than internet speed.
[doublepost=1560511132][/doublepost]

Well of course.

4K HDR has been done in phones.

120Hz has been done on iPad and Phones.
[doublepost=1560511188][/doublepost]

Yeah, exactly.

You would think that Apple can simply allow the iPhone to decode the 1440 / 2160 footage.

Fair play to Google - they ADDED HDR Support for iPhone!

So I think the reason it defaulted to 720P maybe due to me coming from either Facebook or Web Browser, when I go from YouTube and select a video it still defaults to 480P, very interesting.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Googles an awful company that participates in wildly anticompetitive practices, like when they put an invisible div over YouTube videos to disable hardware acceleration on Edge browsers because it was rendering YouTube much faster than the POS chrome browser.

No, it's not because Apple won't support VP8 - it's because if they support vp8 google would just switch to something else out of being a garbage company

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Googles an awful company that participates in wildly anticompetitive practices, like when they put an invisible div over YouTube videos to disable hardware acceleration on Edge browsers because it was rendering YouTube much faster than the POS chrome browser.

No, it's not because Apple won't support VP8 - it's because if they support vp8 google would just switch to something else out of being a garbage company

So it’s a feature you just can’t have on iOS?

Sad.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
And Apple can’t do anything as simple as Support a codec...
It's a cat and mouse game that Apple can't win, as google will probably just keep figuring out ways to gimp the competition with obscure self-developed codecs.

So it’s a feature you just can’t have on iOS?

Sad.
For you maybe. I couldn't care less. YouTube is a garbage platform (just ask any of its top creators) and Google is a joke of a company in this industry. Every announced decision they make in regards to Chrome or YouTube (like their latest ad blocker policies) reads like a bad onion article. You wanna support that kind of anti-competitive BS, go for it champ

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Google didnt pick the codec to make apple suffer. It was to reduce royalties costs. So it is not a cat and mouse game.
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for the million examples of them being horrid to competition, but you're probably right.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Google didnt pick the codec to make apple suffer. It was to reduce royalty/licensing costs. So it is not a cat and mouse game.

Exactly.

Apple could easily support the codec.

Google wouldn’t change it.

Apple just don’t want to support it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Both companies do not seem to want to address the issue.

I agree with this.

I believe if it’s both parties.

Historically Google have actually tended to treat iOS users better than Android, up until recently, so to me it seems on this particular thing, there may be something between both parties.

Google want to ensure they keep iOS users, so I am sure there is a lot of work being done behind the scenes.

I would not be surprised if Apple and Google at some point announce a special codec that is especially made for iOS or some other special YouTube app for iOS that goes further.

Google do not want to lose their share of the user generated content market at all, they are hypersensitive to any competition coming in, nobody wants to be another BlackBerry or Microsoft Windows Mobile, hence they still pay $billions to remain the default Search Engine on iOS. They would rather improve the iOS YouTube experience, rather than have Apple build a YouTube competitor.

YouTube already has to compete with Facebooks onslaught on Facebook Watch, Instagram/IGTV, then there is also Twitch, Vimeo etc etc....

If Apple do not get their way, they could easily partner up with one of the competitors and literally change the game overnight OR build their own and Google knows it.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for the million examples of them being horrid to competition, but you're probably right.

I think saying that Google/YouTube are gimping the iOS YouTube experience on purpose is rather shortsighted, let’s think about the business implications on Google if Apple decides to develop its own offering, and then installs it by default on every Apple products from iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad , MacBook, Mac, Apple TV etc.... I can bet 100% Google have thought about this and they know it be a huge loss. Google would absolutely hate to lose iOS users as they still make up a huge chunk of their users, also their stock price would take a huge beating if that happened. Business wise it makes no sense to ruin the iOS Youtube experience and both Google and Apple know it. Google Search, GMail, YouTube are some of the few ways that Google are able to data mine from Apple users, they definitely do not want to be locked out of that!

Let’s wait and see what is coming.

Last edited:

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I agree with this.

I believe if it’s both parties.

Historically Google have actually tended to treat iOS users better than Android, up until recently, so to me it seems on this particular thing, there may be something between both parties.

Google want to ensure they keep iOS users, so I am sure there is a lot of work being done behind the scenes.

I would not be surprised if Apple and Google at some point announce a special codec that is especially made for iOS or some other special YouTube app for iOS that goes further.

Google do not want to lose their share of the user generated content market at all, they are hypersensitive to any competition coming in, nobody wants to be another BlackBerry or Microsoft Windows Mobile, hence they still pay $billions to remain the default Search Engine on iOS. They would rather improve the iOS YouTube experience, rather than have Apple build a YouTube competitor.

YouTube already has to compete with Facebooks onslaught on Facebook Watch, Instagram/IGTV, then there is also Twitch, Vimeo etc etc....

If Apple do not get their way, they could easily partner up with one of the competitors and literally change the game overnight OR build their own and Google knows it.

I think saying that Google/YouTube are gimping the iOS YouTube experience on purpose is rather shortsighted, let’s think about the business implications on Google if Apple decides to develop its own offering, and then installs it by default on every Apple products from iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad , MacBook, Mac, Apple TV etc.... I can bet 100% Google have thought about this and they know it be a huge loss. Google would absolutely hate to lose iOS users as they still make up a huge chunk of their users, also their stock price would take a huge beating if that happened. Business wise it makes no sense to ruin the iOS Youtube experience and both Google and Apple know it. Google Search, GMail, YouTube are some of the few ways that Google are able to data mine from Apple users, they definitely do not want to be locked out of that!

Let’s wait and see what is coming.

Google added HDR support for YouTube.
It’s just the high resolution support we need.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Sigh.

You can definitely tell the difference. I used to have a Galaxy S9+ and the evidence between 1080 and 1440 was obvious, and that was on an even smaller screen than the iPhone XS Max.

I agree. I can tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on android phones. I would love to be able to stream at 1440p on my iPad.

I can easily tell the difference between 720, 1080 and 1440.

2160 would be useful if Apple move to 4K on iPad or iPhone (SONY Xperia 1 has 4K HDR).
[doublepost=1560186969][/doublepost]

I don't doubt you can see the difference between 720 and 1080P, but I do doubt you can see difference between 1080P and 1440P. Especially on your Mobile Screen.

The problem is 1440P are usually encoded with much higher bitrate on Youtube, hence even on quality per resolution / pixel they have much more data rate to play with. And therefore 1440P will look better better than 1080P. If Youtube had encode 1080P at the same bitrate as 1440P, I doubt you can tell the difference. Again, especially on your Mobile Screen.

Because Google is forcing its VP8 codec for higher res video.

Quite the contrary. Google is using VP8 which is a open source royalty free codec. Apple refuses to support it (for no good reason). YouTube has to compress and host all this video - it makes sense they won't support multiple codecs.

This sad to know.

Apple logic is really backwards sometimes.
[doublepost=1560269179][/doublepost]

I have 100GB a month and also WiFi virtually everywhere.

When I watch something, I’d rather watch it in the best quality possible and make use of the “Super Retina” Screen in my XS Max and especially on the iPad.

It’s Apple refusing to support the codec.

Too slow?

So my iPhone XS Max is too slow to do YouTube 1440p?

First, it is not VP8 but VP9 for christ sake. 3 pages into the discussion and more than a dozens appearance on each page but no one bother to fact check this.

Second Support VP9 means additional silicon for hardware acceleration, and yes, even your iPhone XS Max could do Youtube 1440P software decode your iPhone will only last less than few fours. That is why Hardware Acceleration is important on mobile. No one wants to burn their CPU cycles just to watch something.

Third, VP9 is Open in implementation, but not Open in Spec. Its Spec is the Implementation itself. Which means if you want a VP9 encoder you have to get it from Google. Or a Derivative of its Open Sources Encoder. It is also NOT patents free, but Royalty Free simply because you have to sign an agreement to not sue each other. And Apple has always believe in patents, hence they tend to choose codec such as AVC and HEVC.

Google didnt pick the codec to make apple suffer. It was to reduce royalty/licensing costs. So it is not a cat and mouse game.

Oh hell no, May be Google should stop paying for AVC and HEVC patents fees in their Google Pixel Phones? You don't need to pay for Streaming for using HEVC since 2018. Google simply dislike the idea of Patents. or Payment. ( While simultaneously stealing other people's idea and patent them, as happened in AV1 )

Personally I wish Apple would never support any of these Google Codec.

Reactions: wickerstick

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Sigh

I don't doubt you can see the difference between 720 and 1080P, but I do doubt you can see difference between 1080P and 1440P. Especially on your Mobile Screen.

The problem is 1440P are usually encoded with much higher bitrate on Youtube, hence even on quality per resolution / pixel they have much more data rate to play with. And therefore 1440P will look better better than 1080P. If Youtube had encode 1080P at the same bitrate as 1440P, I doubt you can tell the difference. Again, especially on your Mobile Screen.

First, it is not VP8 but VP9 for christ sake. 3 pages into the discussion and more than a dozens appearance on each page but no one bother to fact check this.

Second Support VP9 means additional silicon for hardware acceleration, and yes, even your iPhone XS Max could do Youtube 1440P software decode your iPhone will only last less than few fours. That is why Hardware Acceleration is important on mobile. No one wants to burn their CPU cycles just to watch something.

Third, VP9 is Open in implementation, but not Open in Spec. Its Spec is the Implementation itself. Which means if you want a VP9 encoder you have to get it from Google. Or a Derivative of its Open Sources Encoder. It is also NOT patents free, but Royalty Free simply because you have to sign an agreement to not sue each other. And Apple has always believe in patents, hence they tend to choose codec such as AVC and HEVC.

Oh hell no, May be Google should stop paying for AVC and HEVC patents fees in their Google Pixel Phones? You don't need to pay for Streaming for using HEVC since 2018. Google simply dislike the idea of Patents. or Payment. ( While simultaneously stealing other people's idea and patent them, as happened in AV1 )

Personally I wish Apple would never support any of these Google Codec.

You make a few assumptions here.

You can see the difference.

Battery life isn’t a concern if you manage it.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
You make a few assumptions here.

You can see the difference.

Battery life isn’t a concern if you manage it.

Have you tested the 1080P with 20Mbps? Or even higher, since VP9's closest competitor is actually HEVC. The AVC / h.264 used in Youtube isn't even high profile.

The point is, it really doesn't have much to do with VP9 as a Codec. Nor do Resolutions matter after certain point.

And I have already given the reason why Apple aren't choosing VP9.

Battery life is a concern to majority of users, and especially Apple. One reason why HEVC was later disabled from the initial Roll Out of FaceTime.

Last edited:

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
You can definitely tell the difference. I used to have a Galaxy S9+ and the evidence between 1080 and 1440 was obvious, and that was on an even smaller screen than the iPhone XS Max.

Might be a difference, but unfortunately you’re using chrome :(

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If a apple car cant drive smoothly on a dirt track that google built, it isn't Google's fault.
google builds dirt bikes, apple builds road bikes.
google builds a dirt track. and for road bikes, google builds a lower quality road track.

im not sure this is anyones fault...

M E

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Kuala Lumpur
Wow, you people are... First you say you don't need it, 720p and 4k looks the same. To these people, please get eye surgery, your eyes are failures.

I just got a used iPad Air for 100usd, and i want to watch 4k video. Seems to be limited to 1080p so i googled and here i am.

There has to be a way, I'm still searching. But if there are visually-impaired sheep who are saying "you don't need it" obviously neither Apple or Google are going to do anything about it. Wake up humans.

Ps it's my first time seeing a discussion where users are saying they rather not or don't want a better feature. The world of Apple....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
QUOTE="narc1981, post: 28455179, member: 861544"]
Sorry man, that's physically impossible on an iPhone screen.
You can't.
[/QUOTE]
I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my iPhone.

I can also tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on Samsung devices.

It's ironic. I'm typing this on a galaxy S5 which came out in 2014. It can do 1080p on YouTube. The same resolution mu 2019 11 pro max is stuck on.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I do hope we get somehow a "fix" in the upcoming year.

Every time I wanna watch something in the 4K I have to either do so in Chrome on MacOS or broadcast to my LG OLED.

Again I wouldn't keep our hopes up unless Apple makes a move to support VP9 in both hardware and software

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wow, you people are... First you say you don't need it, 720p and 4k looks the same. To these people, please get eye surgery, your eyes are failures.

I just got a used iPad Air for 100usd, and i want to watch 4k video. Seems to be limited to 1080p so i googled and here i am.
You do realize the iPad Air has a resolution of 2048*1536 so a 1080p video will really be displayed at a letterboxed 2048*1152, right?

The iPad Air (both 1 and 2) doesn't actually have the screen resolution nor the dynamic range to display 4K UHD in all its glory.

If watching videos is the primary use, a 16:9 or 16:10 Android tablet with OLED really is a much better fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.