Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
I’m not complaining but the new “midnight green” took me by surprise. I keep asking myself how they came up with that color for a flagship. Not much made by Apple is green except a few cases. The name is also weird. Midnight green... in most places it’s known as forrest green. One of the logical answers I can come up with is that glass looks green sometimes and they wanted to go for a glass look but it’s too green. No hate, just wondering. Also does anyone remember rumors of a green iPhone launching since at least last year with the XS? Do y’all like tho?

Reactions: dotnet and MareLuce

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
I’m sure Apple conducts research on color trends, especially colors that are popular in China. Green appears to be right up there with red and gold in China. I figure Apple would have chosen more of an emerald green, but I guess this shade of green is a bit more neutral. Color isn’t gender specific, but we’ll hear less complaints on it being “feminine”.

Name colors are just that, names. It varies from company to company and from product to product. Color profiles can be similar or exact, but marketing decides which names works best for the product and brand.

Would you rather buy the iPhone in midnight green, forest green, or baby poop green? It’s pretty much similar. :p

Last edited:

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I greatly preferred the colours of the lineup last year, especially on the XR as opposed to the 11. Here comes another model year I won't be upgrading to.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I’m getting it because it’s different, but if I don’t like it, I’ll return it for Space Gray. Some rumors indicated that the new green would have a rainbow-like effect under light, but I’m not seeing that in any pics so far.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I keep mine in a case, so I'm not too picky about the color. I took the case off the other day because I couldn't remember if I had silver or space gray this year.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I keep mine in a case, so I'm not too picky about the color. I took the case off the other day because I couldn't remember if I had silver or space gray this year.

The problem with the phones this year is the camera backing matches the color of the phone not blacked out like usual so you will know which color you have. I too like the midnight green but I use cases and there aren't many cases IMO that will look good with a green camera bump sticking through. The forest green leather but that may be too much green for my liking. Even the black case on the Apple website looks odd with the green bump. That said, I am going with SG this time around even though the green is intriguing.

Reactions: yaboid01 and gjr74

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
I’m not complaining but the new “midnight green” took me by surprise. I keep asking myself how they came up with that color for a flagship. Not much made by Apple is green except a few cases. The name is also weird. Midnight green... in most places it’s known as forrest green. One of the logical answers I can come up with is that glass looks green sometimes and they wanted to go for a glass look but it’s too green. No hate, just wondering. Also does anyone remember rumors of a green iPhone launching since at least last year with the XS? Do y’all like tho?

it looks more olive green to me, the phila eagles jerseys are midnight green and def not the same color

Reactions: gjr74

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Honestly I think the reason is... it's a neutral shade. So you have other colors that pop like Gold and Silver... then you have the dark shades covered with Space Grey.. sometimes black depending on device.. so instead of flashing fire engine red which does appeal to a lot of people but not all.. Apple went with an out of the box color like a green... but not kermit the frog green.. more of a neutral shade. True a tad on the dark side with midnight in the title.. but I think think that's why Apple made the decision. Some asking for blue.. yes that would really be a great choice as well if done their way.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
A metallic blue would have been better. Maybe they want it to represent all the money they expect to make.

Reactions: SamRyouji

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Darker colours like this midnight green are my preference over the lolly/pastel/rose gold themes they've released in the past.

But, nothing beats Space Grey.

Reactions: Azathoth123

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
There isn’t a single Apple Leather case that looks good to me with the green.

100% agree. If you go caseless then its fine but even a black case looked odd. Forest green is the only one that looks somewhat decent. Something about the colored camera now throws it off.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It looks completely stunning and gorgeous. It just works. Also, it guarantees I'm standing out as one of the iPhone 11 Pro crowd because no other iPhone has this color. I'm buying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.