Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
:facepalm: in what world would it ever make sense for Apple to build Android phones?

Lol ask Woz

----------

lawsuit in 3..2..1..

GooPhone has been around for a while now. Somehow, lawsuit free. I doubt they pose enough threat to spend the money on suing them. Just because someone buys one of their devices, doesn't mean they would have bought an iPhone had the GooPhone not been an option. If someones getting the GooPhone, its because they cannot afford the real thing anyway.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Far from the same.

In the computer world, Apple was a minority who had already rebuilt their OS to run natively on the same hardware as windows. They realized they could open things up to run either, and it would work well. They did it because it could work well, with minimal effort, and they were in the (rare) mood to be purely on the side of consumers.

In the phone world, a third party made not a native adaptation like windows running on mac hardware, not an emulation like windows running on mac hardware via software (like vmware), but a simulation of the iOS GUI running on top of Android. Nobody will ever enjoy using this hack.

In china cost comes before experience.

kdarling

macrumors P6
While I agree copying is highly unethical, in this particular example the Chinese government can't do much, as the iPhone 6 is not even announced yet. Goophone might even be in the position to sue Apple for copying, when the mockups turn out to be correct :eek:

Back when the iPhone 5 came out, Goophone publicly threatened to prevent Apple from importing it into China. AKAIK, nothing came of it.

Here is Goophone's official video about it back then. The goofy translation is humorous as well:

Legally, they had the right. You see, China has the same Design Patent rules as the new ones the US just passed. That is, a patent goes to the First-to-File, not the First-to-Invent.

Therefore if Goophone files a design patent for something that looks like the iPhone 6, then legally they can sue Apple. OTOH, China courts generally find defendents not guilty if there's any kind of difference, which there would be.

It's ironic that big companies like Apple pushed for First-to-File, because they can afford to do that constantly, giving them an advantage over smaller and home inventors who used to rely on First-to-Invent. However, First-to-File can obviously backfire.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
CleoMcdowells_zpsdd3859da.jpg

Cleo McDowell: Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
your only experience with Android was using a midlevel, 2 year old device running an android a very old version of android (that phone shipped with 2.3)

you don't have "first hand experience" of where google is now and selling.

The software of Android back then was crap. 2.3 was laggy as hell (i'll agree even up to 4.2 there was some significant lag as part of Android's OS).

But to claim you have 1st hand experience here is like me saying "I ran iOS3 back in the day, it sucked, so iOS7 sucks!"

don't get me wrong, this is a horrible device. People will get the wrong impression here. It's clearly got serious performance issues, and it is purely trying to bilk consumer who are uninformed that this isn't an iPhone out of their money.
I also do agree that there is no place for Android on an iPhone.

There were more issues about the phone of mine (Sony Xperia P, mid-end Android) than I said before. Auto-restart itself, software update problem, no support from community and after sending it to repair for 40 days it came back with the same issue.
These were my experiences. And I had enough of it. So I came back to iOS.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
There were more issues about the phone of mine (Sony Xperia P, mid-end Android) than I said before. Auto-restart itself, software update problem, no support from community and after sending it to repair for 40 days it came back with the same issue.
These were my experiences. And I had enough of it. So I came back to iOS.

oh, those are legit valid complaints. And I understand why with such an experience one would go try something else. (it's why I eventually left Blackberry).

But my point wasn't that. my point was you can't compare an OS from 2+ years ago, to one released today, and claim you know everything there is about that OS of today.

Satyampandey786

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Wow Amazing..!
Months before Apple is expected to release its next-generation iPhone, functional iPhone 6 clones already are starting to appear in China's mobile phone marketplace. One of the first clones, the Wico i6, is profiled by (via Nowhereelse.fr ) in a two-part hands-on video. (Note: Contains fairly loud soundtrack of The Carpenters' "Top of the World") Like most clones, the Wico i6 is quite detailed for a fake, with authentic-looking FCC labeling and the characteristic Apple branding. The phone also closely mimics the rumored styling of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 with a thin chassis that houses a side-mounted power button and elongated volume buttons.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Sure, Apple makes money off of the hardware, some good money but do you know where they make more money? The App store, why give up that revenue to Google?

What? The App Store is a drop in the ocean compared to iOS device sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.