Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaidBack

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
The Chinese government needs to shut down companies that are making counterfeit apple products and confiscate all the merchandise to destroy it.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
The Chinese government needs to shut down companies that are making counterfeit apple products and confiscate all the merchandise to destroy it.

While I agree copying is highly unethical, in this particular example the Chinese government can't do much, as the iPhone 6 is not even announced yet. Goophone might even be in the position to sue Apple for copying, when the mockups turn out to be correct :eek:

That's maybe the plan and that's why, the device is sold for 150 bucks only. The profit will come from the legal case against :apple: :p

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
It would be funny if all the mockups we have seen are actually bits and pieces from a GooPhone, and not an original representation of the next iPhone. I would laugh so hard if the final product looked nothing like this.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
But with an unrealeased ip6, no one can persecute them for copying a phone that doesn't exist

Technically would goophone be able to sue Apple when the iphone 6 comes out (looking like we think it will, just liek this "fake")

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Irrespective of the speed of the iOS emulation on screen.
And perhaps the single screw, and the camera lens protruding a little.

I'm guessing this, visually MIGHT look exactly the same as the iPhone6

So, given this COULD be the case, what do you think of it?

At the moment you are rubbishing it as a cheap looking piece of junk, But if its 95% identical to the Apple iPhone6 that's interesting.

Should you not be saying, it looks Gorgeous, apart from the few small issues?

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Irrespective of the speed of the iOS emulation on screen.
And perhaps the single screw, and the camera lens protruding a little.

I'm guessing this, visually MIGHT look exactly the same as the iPhone6

So, given this COULD be the case, what do you think of it?

At the moment you are rubbishing it as a cheap looking piece of junk, But if its 95% identical to the Apple iPhone6 that's interesting.

Should you not be saying, it looks Gorgeous, apart from the few small issues?

Good comment and spot on!

My personal opinion about that design:

The bezels are way too big and makes the phone too large for that screen size. In fact, the front part is rather boring, just a bigger, lazy clone of previous designs.

I know, I am repeating myself here on this forum, but I find it surprising that after years of building rather smallish phones which were able to be operated by one hand, they build this thing, which is probably the opposite to what they have heavily marketed before.

LG could probably build an entire phone from the materials used in those bezels :p

I hope we will get pleasantly surprised in a few weeks time, but I think the years of total product secrecy are over.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
They can even copy the a whole country.

They have copied whole cities and nobody shows up to live in them.

----------

What effort? They compiled together a bunch of intel/nvidia/ati/broadcom/realtek/etc drivers that were already available. Granted they made the touchpad/keyboard extensions, a little bootcamp app so you can choose what os to boot into, and a read only hfs driver. Overall quite small fry in the scheme of things. The hardware is quite generic, and already capable of running windows.

Boot camp OS a better "package" of drivers than you get with most WINDOWS PCS out of the box. Apple tried to make setting up WINDOWS more reasonable than an actual Windows install.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
It would be funny if all the mockups we have seen are actually bits and pieces from a GooPhone, and not an original representation of the next iPhone. I would laugh so hard if the final product looked nothing like this.
I have come to fully believe this.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
i'm gonna laugh my ass off if Apple comes to market with a completely different iPhone shape and what we've all been saying is iPhone 6 mockups is actually this GooPhone and we've been following the wrong product.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
That's funny, considering all the effort Apple went through to make drivers for those who wanted to run Windows on their Mac through Boot Camp.

There were people who had to use windows. There aren't really any people who have to use android. Apple does not have to support android in order to appeal to their customers in the same way they had to support windows to sell more macs.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Will send order on 1 of Aug.

Got to love that! For me, will send order to Apple when I can order online from apple.com.

----------

I'm sorry, but dude, what is it with these Asian nails? I may be ignorant, but is that a culture thing?

----------

lawsuit in 3..2..1..

Um, this is China. The courts will probably side with the Wico or Goo, or whomever else is native, unless Apple hands over some location data... In any event, the Chinese government look the other way. After all, this stuff does help their economy.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
It will sell way over 100,000. I travel several times a year on business through the Philippines. I was shocked at how huge the chinese iPhone clone market is in the Philippines. They even sell iPhone clones that run a clone of iOS!

Numbers aside, my point is that Apple ships huge numbers of these devices in very short periods of time. It's much easier to ship 100,000/month until the law catches up with them and they have to close shop.

----------

You can't sue a Chinese company that clones your device if they only sell it in China. China has no international patent laws. If this company attempts to export this product then Apple can block the export, but Apple can't do anything about this if the product is only sold to the Chinese.

Good point but it doesn't just come down to patents. Many U.S. companies have worked with Chinese authorities to stop manufacturing and selling of stolen IP both inside and outside of China. Apple's relationship is much closer to China now and will continue to grow. They can make demands because China's economy is affected by Apple's decisions. China might throw them a bone.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
knock-offs...

China has issues with iPhone and location info the device puts out/track people, but they put out their own 'fakes' ??

Someone pinch me and tell me this doesn't make sense either.

More should be done here for control tightly, including all parts and assiated companies to make them for Apple.

Its like a knot that's not tired tight enough.. Apple needs this knot as so it will be fool proof..

Some may say, Apple thus, is allowing this to happen, because they don't take full control, even though they keep saying this, its clearly not helping.

Last edited:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
In a world where people who love Apple quality hardware and iOS and the ecosystem can buy an Apple phone as they do now.

Also, as Apple make a LOT of profit on hardware.

The majority of people who don't want iOS but prefer the openness of Android, BUT would enjoy the look and build quality of an Apple device.

Then Apple can offer their hardware to both camps, people who want to use iOS and people who want to use Android.

Why would that be such a crazy concept if they make money either way?

Unless you feel that current Apple users would leave iOS as they could get Android, on Apple build hardware.

It's a ridiculous idea. Hardware/ Software integration is what makes the iphone so great. Apple likes to control every aspect of their device. They would never, I repeat NEVER use a direct competitors software on their hardware. It makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. I can't tell if you honestly think it's a good idea or if you're just saying it because you want an iPhone with android.

That's just a bunch of words put together in the blind hope that some or any of it will make sense.

Two words: DUAL BOOT

My MBA can do it. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Now I use OS X almost exclusively but 0.1% of the time when I need windows I NEED windows. There are a few android apps not available on iOS so I keep an old android phone around for those rare need occasions as well. It would be nice to not have to do that.

I wonder if there would be a way of optimizing a CyanogenMod to run on a jailbroke phone.

Otherwise, Apple making an android phone? Seriously? The whole point of Apple's iPhones is the incredibly tight integration of hardware and software for optimal performance.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
wow, look at all those quotes :eek:

If Apple did go to working hand in hand with Android, then you can wave good-bye to security as we all know and love from legitimate iOS products.

Which direction do you wanna go ? Up or down ?

Seems China wants to be in the middle.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
lol that clone was hilarious.

Setting was incorrect. Password didn't work. 100 plus apps and you've only used 1GB of a 32GB. #badclone.

It's hilarious at its best.

ColdShower

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
If you are into creativity or if you support creative people but the real deal. Support The people that have put their sweat and tears into this project. China is the epidemic of why this country fell into a recession. People that buy knock offs are as guilty as people that knock stuff off.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Why would someone buy this? Just wait until it comes out.

It's cheap.
Not everyone drools over an iPhone.
I'm pretty sure iPhone snobs are not the target market.

----------

this is what I was thinking... can they even clone an iPhone and get away with it??

BMW and Toyota tried to bring lawsuits against manufacturers of X5 and Yaris clones respectively. I believe either both were quashed or they made it to court and both lost. :rolleyes:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
How do you copy (clone) something that doesn't exist yet?

I agree completely. Currently there is no iPhone 6 and nothing is known about its design and any similarities between a goophone and a future iPhone 6 release would be total coincidence at best. Non-iSheep could also see such similarities as evidence for Apple actually stealing the design of the goophone and selling it as their own - oh the irony. Well, time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.