Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
So, is that wico phone really running android? If so, how did they manage to get the OS "exactly" looking like iOS? Or is it a clone of iOS? If so, how did they accomplish that? Just curious. Any tips, links?

I too would really like to know.

Edit: If you follow the link in the article and then translate it from french you will see that both phones are running Android.
http://www.nowhereelse.fr/video-iphone-6-clone-wiko-i6-99184/

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Because they're likely not breaking the law.

So it's not against the law to create a carbon copy of another company's product and claim it was made by said company? That first one said 'Designed by Apple in California'. At least the Goophone was trying to be its own product.

----------

Because China. China doesn't care so the companies will copy anything they want. What about all the fake Apple stores they have there, they copied entire stores selling fake product.

I believe they were fake stores selling genuine products. The staff didn't realise they weren't working for Apple. Mad.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So it's not against the law to create a carbon copy of another company's product and claim it was made by said company? That first one said 'Designed by Apple in California'. At least the Goophone was trying to be its own product.

----------

I believe they were fake stores selling genuine products. The staff didn't realise they weren't working for Apple. Mad.

Likely not is what I said. I don't know the trade laws in the place where they operate.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sure, Apple makes money off of the hardware, some good money but do you know where they make more money? The App store, why give up that revenue to Google?

It's strange that you, and everyone apart from one person on these forums is actually admitting people don't like iOS.

If you read what I wrote. I said that current Apple "fans" can still buy their iPhones that run iOS, so everyone who loves Apple hardware AND iOS can carry on exactly as now.

But IN ADDITION, not instead of. Apple could also make iPhones, the same hardware that run Android, and make a premium Android handset.

That way Apple would get MORE sales. They would still sell to Apple fans as they do now, but also, would sell phones to those who want to use Android, but are currently buying say, Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC etc phones.

What people here, seem to be saying, or thinking is that people don't really like or want iOS at all.

And that if Apple did do this, then everyone would be flocking to buy Android iPhones and not iOS iPhones.

Would not more sales in both camps be better?

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's strange that you, and everyone apart from one person on these forums is actually admitting people don't like iOS.

If you read what I wrote. I said that current Apple "fans" can still buy their iPhones that run iOS, so everyone who loves Apple hardware AND iOS can carry on exactly as now.

But IN ADDITION, not instead of. Apple could also make iPhones, the same hardware that run Android, and make a premium Android handset.

That way Apple would get MORE sales. They would still sell to Apple fans as they do now, but also, would sell phones to those who want to use Android, but are currently buying say, Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC etc phones.

What people here, seem to be saying, or thinking is that people don't really like or want iOS at all.

And that if Apple did do this, then everyone would be flocking to buy Android iPhones and not iOS iPhones.

You may not like the "walled garden," but it's what has worked for Apple since the beginning. And I don't mean just the beginning of iOS, either.

Expecting them to cannibalize that when the status quo is working out so well for them is just beyond unrealistic.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

Apple makes the money from the hardware because they are NOT and Android phone. And what they are selling is the Hardware/IOS/AppStore bundle

If they released an Android phone it would just be another Android phone out there that would have to compete on price.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
So I bet that's what we've been seeing with these supposed iphone 6 "leaks" is just these clones. We probly have no idea what the actual iphone 6 looks like.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012

WRONG WRONG WRONG
The consumer would see the Apple on the back and say if its good enough for Apple its good enough for me. An Android phone would KILL Apple.

You can see the marketing from other Android makers "Android, so good that Apple had to make one"

That is all it would take to destroy the iPhone and IOS.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
WRONG WRONG WRONG
The consumer would see the Apple on the back and say if its good enough for Apple its good enough for me. An Android phone would KILL Apple.

You can see the marketing from other Android makers "Android, so good that Apple had to make one"

That is all it would take to destroy the iPhone and IOS.

Still seems odd

Again you are pretty much saying there is nothing special or worth having or THAT likeable about iOS, and the public don't really want is, as if they had a choice of 2 handsets from Apple. One iOS on Android, they would not mostly go, yes, iOS it's better, you are saying they would do YAY Android and it would destroy the iPhone and iOS

Strange you feel there is so little love or desire for iOS that people would want to not have it so quickly if they had a choice.

very odd........

If Apple was selling iPhones at break even and making their money in Apps then sure I'd accept this argument totally.

I never realized that, as you are implying people want iPhones and are just having to put up with iOS being on them, but would rather not, given the choice

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
In a world where people who love Apple quality hardware and iOS and the ecosystem can buy an Apple phone as they do now.

Also, as Apple make a LOT of profit on hardware.

The majority of people who don't want iOS but prefer the openness of Android, BUT would enjoy the look and build quality of an Apple device.

Then Apple can offer their hardware to both camps, people who want to use iOS and people who want to use Android.

Why would that be such a crazy concept if they make money either way?

Unless you feel that current Apple users would leave iOS as they could get Android, on Apple build hardware.

You obviously do not understand how Apple operates at all. This would go against their entire philosophy.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Suprisingly well made copy.
The design is just as dull as 4/4S was, but the replicated details are quite amazing.

Im sure the pricepoint also justifies the phone more than the real iPhone 6.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Dude, just stop. You're totally missing the point. No one is saying that people don't like iOS and would choose Android over it, you're adding that.

The point that you are somehow missing is that by EVEN HAVING another OS as a choice, de-values iOS. Currently, if you want an iPhone, you have to take the pill. You have to be in iOS. There is no choice. iOS integrates so well with OSX, the natural progression would be that eventually you would buy a MAC as well. This is the core of Apple's entire market strategy.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Apple should use Wico and Goophone as their contract manufacturers for the iPhone 6.

They seem to have done a great job and gotten the product out much faster than Foxconn.

----------

iPhone users do like iOS. iOS is the main reason people buy iPhones, not the hardware.

iPhones are decent devices, in hardware terms, but not the best in every measure. Sure, they're well built, and have nice features like Touch ID, but are expensive. They have small screens and poor battery life. Android devices exist today that beat the iPhone is many respects.

Apple making an Android device would make no sense at all. Not for Apple, and not for their users.

huntermaclean

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
**** me. The Chinese can copy pretty much anything with just a few schematics.

Yep. I live in Hong Kong and my wife will show someone a picture from a catalog of a couch/cabinet/etc and they'll send it off to china to be replicated for super cheap. But the quality if furnishing can't really be compared with electronics.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
In the same way that you can run Windows on a Mac right? I’m sure there are plenty of people that want do do exactly as Piggie has said although I’m sure Apple won’t do it.

Being able to run windows on a Mac isn't the same as Apple creating a MacBook preloaded with windows. That would also never happen. Also that was allowed out of necessity by apple. Many users have to use windows for certain programs, that really isn't true of iOS/android.

mac*jedi*g

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Where's the pull-out antenna? --- features notoriously added in these fakes from these Chinese vendors. Beverage heater attachment, Swiss Army knife made with real lead, etc...?

Someone's getting frugal....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.