Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
Wow who would pay for that PoS. I'd rather have an iPhone 4S over that. Hell a 3G looks faster than that slow clunky POS.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
The majority of people who don't want iOS but prefer the openness of Android, BUT would enjoy the look and build quality of an Apple device.

That statement is wrong on every level.
Apple is not the only one having hardware build quality. What about HTC One, Sony Xperia or Nokia? People who want quality hardware + android should go with these already. To be true, many bought android devices because of the screen sizes, not the fu.king breakfast/snack-OS.
People love iPhone also because iOS ecosystem, apps, security and future compatibility. Who wants an OS with great risk of malware and fragmentation? Please.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I realize that the don't clone android phones because they don't have to, but I still find it amazing that China is so blatantly ballsy about copying IPhones.

That is not true. You can buy cheap knock offs of Galaxy Notes, etc, in China as well. My colleague bought a Note look-a-like a few weeks back. It was very, very similar to the real thing.

Not that is particularly hard to match the apologetically plastic feel of a Note... :p

And while the specs were probably much lower than the original, it actually felt as fast, if not faster, because of the lack of TouchWiz :p

Last edited:

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
It's strange that you, and everyone apart from one person on these forums is actually admitting people don't like iOS.

If you read what I wrote. I said that current Apple "fans" can still buy their iPhones that run iOS, so everyone who loves Apple hardware AND iOS can carry on exactly as now.

But IN ADDITION, not instead of. Apple could also make iPhones, the same hardware that run Android, and make a premium Android handset.

That way Apple would get MORE sales. They would still sell to Apple fans as they do now, but also, would sell phones to those who want to use Android, but are currently buying say, Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC etc phones.

What people here, seem to be saying, or thinking is that people don't really like or want iOS at all.

And that if Apple did do this, then everyone would be flocking to buy Android iPhones and not iOS iPhones.

Would not more sales in both camps be better?

This is so wrong... this is what makes Apple... you can copy the design..but you can't copy the OS...

and beside software is also big business for Apple... they excel on the area too..

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
In a world where people who love Apple quality hardware and iOS and the ecosystem can buy an Apple phone as they do now.

Also, as Apple make a LOT of profit on hardware.

The majority of people who don't want iOS but prefer the openness of Android, BUT would enjoy the look and build quality of an Apple device.

Then Apple can offer their hardware to both camps, people who want to use iOS and people who want to use Android.

Why would that be such a crazy concept if they make money either way?

Unless you feel that current Apple users would leave iOS as they could get Android, on Apple build hardware.

Because the experience of using Android will destroy the Apple brand. Look at this Android-based iPhone6. It doesn't matter how beautiful the hardware is. If the software is laggy as ****, it is a bad phone. And I used Android once. It was Sony xperia P. It had a nice design but ****ing software. So I have the 1st-hand experience.
P.s. Openness is just some characteristic of Android. It's not necessarily a good thing. I don't want to config my phone. I want to use my phone.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I miss the old days when Apple products were actual surprises when they launched.

No I don't. Why? I don't want to wait for 6 months to buy my iPhone. That's why.
Apple can still do that if they announce iPhone 6 in March and sell it in September just like in the old days. But the consequence is that by the time they sell the device, others already release new phones to beat Apple not-yet released features. Would you want to do that? The reason Apple announce iPhone in Jan and sold it in Jun 2007 because the world was not ready for such leap-frog device at the time and Apple also knew that it would be impossible for someone to make something similar within a few months (not only hardware but software).

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
People will buy it because it's only about $150 retail, and does everything they need.

Exactly. The target market is China. Not everyone can afford to spend a month salary on an original iPhone or Galaxy. And the functionality will probably be enough for most of the users anyway.

I think Goophone has been around for years. In any case, what would the owner need support for? No doubt spare parts are available from lots of shops.

And in Asia you can find those packed computer or phone malls on every corner. They will have shops which can fix any phone within an hour for a dollar and a dime ;)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Wait till Apple puts the Goo on these phones by asking the Chinese govt to shut down this crap!

What a blatant theft!

Apple you gotta put your foot down on your suppliers for leaking parts!

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Because the experience of using Android will destroy the Apple brand. Look at this Android-based iPhone6. It doesn't matter how beautiful the hardware is. If the software is laggy as ****, it is a bad phone. And I used Android once. It was Sony xperia P. It had a nice design but ****ing software. So I have the 1st-hand experience.
P.s. Openness is just some characteristic of Android. It's not necessarily a good thing. I don't want to config my phone. I want to use my phone.

your only experience with Android was using a midlevel, 2 year old device running an android a very old version of android (that phone shipped with 2.3)

you don't have "first hand experience" of where google is now and selling.

The software of Android back then was crap. 2.3 was laggy as hell (i'll agree even up to 4.2 there was some significant lag as part of Android's OS).

But to claim you have 1st hand experience here is like me saying "I ran iOS3 back in the day, it sucked, so iOS7 sucks!"

don't get me wrong, this is a horrible device. People will get the wrong impression here. It's clearly got serious performance issues, and it is purely trying to bilk consumer who are uninformed that this isn't an iPhone out of their money.
I also do agree that there is no place for Android on an iPhone.

xensaenigma

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Besides the obvious cheap look of the phone it runs Android, which is pure crap. I feel bad for the people that would purchase this. They'd be a lot better off getting an older generation iPhone.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
[/COLOR]

Getting the software to layout on all the different screen sizes and look good in all form factors is an innovation. Don't forget about the software. Its the biggest part of the user experience.

sure,
it was innovation the first time it was included in an operating system.

years ago.

Resolution independence is not a new or novel idea. Even Apple can handle it on their desktop OS.

For some reason, They have been really bad at doing it for iOS. Either not capable of it, or don't want to do it.

If apple puts it in now, it is hardly innovative. Still would be necessary should they ever support different scales of resolution (like perhaps moving to 1080p for one size and 1440p for another as an example)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
How do you know they aren't?
I've yet to see one "leaked" iphone 6 part that looks like real Apple hardware.

Oh come on. Every single part of the phone has been on here in one form or the another. All that's left is to see the fully assembled phone during its unveiling.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Cool wico

My next phone is wico i6 cool luv it! It looks like iphone 6 and has bluetooth fileshareing and customizable themes ringtones message tones alarm tones and adobe flash...

Last edited:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
**** me. The Chinese can copy pretty much anything with just a few schematics.

Yeah. I don't approve of what they're doing, but it's damned impressive.

That being said, they say it's Android-based, which means it's emulating iOS, no? One might expect a lot of lag.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Reminds me of all the hard-to-articulate reasons I like Apple stuff over Android stuff.

• OS speed (this isn't even lag– this clone OS is obviously responding to swipe gestures with long scroll animations, iOS is a live accurate drag from the first touch moment)
  • Micrometer accurate laser cutting (the apple, the sim card slot, the buttons)
  • Flush mounted non-functional hardware (camera bezel, screws, etc)
  • Low (< 1mm) mounted functional hardware (volume buttons, sleep/wake button, etc)
  • Kerning and deliberate contrast, even in the legalese on the back
  • Optical alignment over actual alignment (calendar icon text)
  • Grammar rules defined and followed (Note Pad vs Notes, Video vs Videos, Email vs Mail, Stock vs Stocks, Setting vs Settings)

EDIT: I know not everyone cares about this stuff, and I don't care about any of them individually, but it adds up to an overall tight UX package that can't be beaten. If Apple could get their **** together with their online services (iCloud, syncing, iMessage, etc) they would be winning.

EDIT 2: And good god, look at the font. I know Helvetica and Helvetica Neue are pretty similar, but if you want to fake an OS, get the font right.

Last edited:

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
It's a ridiculous idea. Hardware/ Software integration is what makes the iphone so great. Apple likes to control every aspect of their device. They would never, I repeat NEVER use a direct competitors software on their hardware. It makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. I can't tell if you honestly think it's a good idea or if you're just saying it because you want an iPhone with android.

That's funny, considering all the effort Apple went through to make drivers for those who wanted to run Windows on their Mac through Boot Camp.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
That's funny, considering all the effort Apple went through to make drivers for those who wanted to run Windows on their Mac through Boot Camp.

What effort? They compiled together a bunch of intel/nvidia/ati/broadcom/realtek/etc drivers that were already available. Granted they made the touchpad/keyboard extensions, a little bootcamp app so you can choose what os to boot into, and a read only hfs driver. Overall quite small fry in the scheme of things. The hardware is quite generic, and already capable of running windows.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003

Far from the same.

In the computer world, Apple was a minority who had already rebuilt their OS to run natively on the same hardware as windows. They realized they could open things up to run either, and it would work well. They did it because it could work well, with minimal effort, and they were in the (rare) mood to be purely on the side of consumers.

In the phone world, a third party made not a native adaptation like windows running on mac hardware, not an emulation like windows running on mac hardware via software (like vmware), but a simulation of the iOS GUI running on top of Android. Nobody will ever enjoy using this hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.