Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
In Japan. According to the BBC.

Nintendo's Wii console outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 in Japan last month by six to one, says research.

Nintendo sold 270,974 Wii consoles last month while Sony sold 41,628 PS3s, according to Enterbrain, a Japanese publisher that tracks console sales.

Nintendo has sold about 2.76m Wii consoles in Japan since the launch last December, while Sony has sold 970,270 PS3s since it debuted last November.

About 17,616 Xbox 360 consoles were sold in June.

Last week, Phil Harrison, PlayStation's head of worldwide studios, told US Game Informer magazine that pundits should not judge the success of the console based on the launch software line-up.

Struggled

He said: "You only have to go back to the games that launched PlayStation 1 and Playstation 2.

"If you took those few dozen titles and analysed them, you would never have imagined that either of those formats would have on to sell over 100m units each."

Globally, Sony has struggled so far to replicate the success it had with the first two PlayStation consoles.

The machine has also suffered from a lack of "killer" exclusive titles which showcase the power of the machine.

PlayStation fans are still awaiting some of the biggest franchises on the machine to emerge, such as Metal Gear Solid, Killzone 2 and Gran Turismo.

Linkerty Loo

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
To be honest, it's not like its major shock horror, I owned a ps1 & 2, but never wanted to get a PS3 (after they announced the price) I'm getting a xbox 360 and sharing my girlfriends wii, Sony's lost the market, i doubt there will be a ps4.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Unsurprising really. One of the best games consoles to come along since ever, against a hype train that crashed long ago.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Imagine how much the wii would be winning by if they got some killer games out. Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Brawl, I wanna see what happens when these games come out :D
It's been said before, but the PS3 was overpriced, used unproved technology, and sony seemed to assume they knew what people wanted in a console-serves them right :p

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Sad, really :s Microsoft has genuinely created a good console and I find it hard to root against them for that; but on the other hand, Microsoft entering a market has ALWAYS caused the stagnation of said market, perhaps with the sole exception of PDAs (we don't know how Palm would have done if the PocketPC hadn't come along), and Microsoft always tries to monopolize once they get a dominant market share.

You just have to look at history to see that if Microsoft becomes dominant, they'll be even worse than Nintendo was at the beginning of the N64 era.

Yet, Sony has acted like Nintendo when they were dominant; they've been arrogant and made stupid decisions that alienate their userbase. This is the result.

If you went back in time two years I would have not been able to imagine such a scenario (me not wanting Microsoft to lose and Sony doing so badly).

Oh, and the Wii will be the next DS IMHO. The DS had few good games in the first year, but the sales beat out the PSP so all the developers came. After the second Christmas all the good games hit and sales took off. More devs came and by the third Christmas the DS owned Japan.

Well, we've had the early games drought. We also have a slew of good games coming this holiday season, and tons of developers are rapidly jumping on board as they look at the Wii's sales numbers. History will be repeated.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
History will be repeated.

What's funny is the army of Sony fans who said otherwise. That people don't mind paying that much for the system, or that everyone wants a next gen video player etc.
Plus all those who said the success of the DS was no indicator of how well the Wii will do :D

Finally, just to get it out of my system, the "Wii is a gimmick/fad" line is the best I've heard yet :D

JGF0x

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2007
That's a shocking but entirely possible prediction. Personaly I'd prefer the xbox kick the bucket but I'm more than glad that Nintendo is finally regaining it's place.

I doubt Sony would drop out of the videogame business so quickly. At the very least there will still be a PS4 but if it sinks like the PS3 then Sony may just end up pulling out or morphing the Playstation brand away from videogames exclusively and just turn it into a media center for all their other proprietary crap to play on. I disagree with your statement about the Xbox kicking the bucket immensely. I'm really not a fan of Windows or Microsoft's handling of the monopoly they gained over operating systems but there are tremendous pockets of innovation within the juggernaut. For example, the Mac unit of Microsoft are about as hardcore of Mac fans as you can get and without them we'd be without a decent word processor let alone a number of other Office products. Also, I'd suggest reading Dean Takahashi's book Opening The Xbox which profiles the difficulties the team behind Xbox had in getting Microsoft to approve it but finally did win approval. Microsoft was also the first to bring a usable online gaming network to consoles with Xbox Live which has changed the face of videogaming. They might not be Apple but they are innovative in some ways.

By the way, I was a little surprised that the Wii has managed to be so successful but that's what happens when you take chances against the "norm".

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Imagine how much the wii would be winning by if they got some killer games out. Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Brawl, I wanna see what happens when these games come out :D

tbh the prospect of these games is the only thing that's keeping me from selling my Wii off. Kinda wish I had waited to buy the wii - like I did with the DS.

My DS get's played everyday (more brain-age, tetris and clubhouse games mostly), whilst my Wii hasn't been switched on for weeks...

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
*reads classic fable; The Tortoise and the Hare*

Oh N03Z......Sony are teh D00M3D!
They hype train crashed, and their console is too expensive!
They should just pull out now and hand the victory over!

You guys crack me up! :p

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Coded_Dude: after the same amount of time the gamecube which was a failure in japan had already sold 500k more in japan
but the ps3 sold more than the DC did in the same timeframe by a whole what ? 150k ?

sure it's only one region but it's a very important region in regard to software developer and going from selling 6 times as much hardware to selling 6 times less hardware isn't going to be turned around by magic or brandname alone

what heavy hitters has the ps3 up in the _next half year_ for the japanese market ? while soem good games here and there .. the big hitters like dragon quest and final fantasy main series are simply not there ready for the time frame

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

LOL. Don't tell me, that after all that "wait until E3 2005", then the following E3's, then the launch, then Xmas, then until Motorstorm, then until F1, Virtua Fighter... We're now at "wait till an unknown time in the future". Out of milestones already? :D

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
in addition in my area the elite is sold out and PS3 are everywhere. ps3 is not doing well.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I don't think any reasonable gaming fan can look at the PS3 launch and think that Sony has positioned themselves exactly where they wanted to be after almost 8 months [since US launch]. That being said, I don't think the final chapter has been written for either Sony's demise or Nintendo's re-ascension.
I have all three consoles, and I'm playing the 360 most right now. Both the Wii and the PS3 have some stellar titles coming out starting in the next month and running straight through the holiday season and frankly, they both need them badly. Niether system has enough decent games to buy/play.

I'll be quite surprised if, at the dawn of the next gen, all three players are not still kicking.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I doubt Sony would drop out of the videogame business so quickly. At the very least there will still be a PS4 but if it sinks like the PS3 then Sony may just end up pulling out or morphing the Playstation brand away from videogames exclusively and just turn it into a media center for all their other proprietary crap to play on. I disagree with your statement about the Xbox kicking the bucket immensely. I'm really not a fan of Windows or Microsoft's handling of the monopoly they gained over operating systems but there are tremendous pockets of innovation within the juggernaut. For example, the Mac unit of Microsoft are about as hardcore of Mac fans as you can get and without them we'd be without a decent word processor let alone a number of other Office products. Also, I'd suggest reading Dean Takahashi's book Opening The Xbox which profiles the difficulties the team behind Xbox had in getting Microsoft to approve it but finally did win approval. Microsoft was also the first to bring a usable online gaming network to consoles with Xbox Live which has changed the face of videogaming. They might not be Apple but they are innovative in some ways.

By the way, I was a little surprised that the Wii has managed to be so successful but that's what happens when you take chances against the "norm".

It's not that I dislike the people at Microsoft in the games division, I just distrust what the company will choose to do if they do obtain a high marketshare.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

Oh N03Z......Sony are teh D00M3D!
They hype train crashed, and their console is too expensive!
They should just pull out now and hand the victory over!

You guys crack me up! :p

Isn't Sony the Hare in that story? They got a huge lead on the PS1 and PS2 and then got overconfident and crashed and burned. Meanwhile, the Tortoise (Nintendo and XBox, both of which had a 20% marketshare during the PS2 era) all of a sudden shoot past over the finish line.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I can't believe how the demand is still outstripping the supply chain.

Every day the Nintendo store has a line outside, and you may or may not get a Wii depending on what time you get there.

Not even the iPhone could do that for 6 months straight.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I can't believe how the demand is still outstripping the supply chain.

Every day the Nintendo store has a line outside, and you may or may not get a Wii depending on what time you get there.

Not even the iPhone could do that for 6 months straight.

I'm starting to see them around here, but they are gone within a day. Then after a few days, you see them again. The cycle continues over and over.

PS3's are always on the shelf...

Funny, while talking to line waiters for the iPhone, I asked if people were going to resell them on eBay. "Nope, all consumers here..." one guy said.

From what I heard, over half the people in line for a PS3 were eBay resellers.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Recently, PS3 sales seem to be picking up. The other day, the store near me only had 1 PS3 available but had several Wii's.

But, the DS is still selling out here. I was at a store a few weeks ago and 2 girls bought the last two DS's and the employee had to make an anouncement throughout the store saying that they were now out of DS's. :D

And a quick question to everyone that thinks the PS3 is overpriced... What would a good price be for the PS3?

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Isn't Sony the Hare in that story? They got a huge lead on the PS1 and PS2 and then got overconfident and crashed and burned. Meanwhile, the Tortoise (Nintendo and XBox, both of which had a 20% marketshare during the PS2 era) all of a sudden shoot past over the finish line.

*Clapping*

So true, so very true. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What should they have done? No BluRay, no Cell. Just a DVD drive and an off the shelf CPU. Just a games console and a price that reflects that - £250. £430 is a joke and so it gets treated like one.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
What should they have done? No BluRay, no Cell. Just a DVD drive and an off the shelf CPU. Just a games console and a price that reflects that - £250. £430 is a joke and so it gets treated like one.

Not off the shelf- just more standard.

Actually, Sony should have used the same processor as the 360; IBM was obviously willing to sell it to them as they've got one of those cores in every Cell. Same processor as the 360, but keep the NVidia graphics card and use the DVD drive. If you really want the superior machine give it 1 GB of RAM.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ironic isn't it. That Sony came along in the mid 90's and brought us CD gaming (though actually, they didn't. Thanks Amiga, Sega and Phillips too!). Everyone flocked to Sony because of the vast amounts of potential storage space compared to cartridge.

And now it's the biggest downfall. Looks like we just didn't need that much storage space *looks at super epic 360, PC and Wii games on single DVDs*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.