Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Shying away from the intensity of this thread, I thought that it might be useful to add my experience.

1. I have had a wii since launch, and imo it is quite clearly the best console for having a laugh with mates (for example, after work a few of us met up for beer and pizza, and despite having a 360 and ps3 to hand, it was wario ware smooth moves that kept us entertained the most). Similarly, it is the wii that has allowed me to play games with friends who would have never been excited by the idea in the past, and has also encouraged said people - who have never played games - to go ahead and buy the console.

2. The way that the wii is being marketed by the media is only going to increase its ownership by traditionally non-gamers, as can be shown by its 'weight loss' benefits (http://wiiweightlossplan.com/), its price, and unobtrusiveness in the living room.

The problems however lie with where revenues are to be gained after purchase, as it seems reasonable to suggest that your typical wii owning non-gamer will not buy all of the latest accessories and titles, whereas a traditional 'gamer' would spend more on such items.

In this way there is much room for microsoft and sony's machines, however it seems to me that there is to be a more definite split within the console gaming world, so that in the same way that pc gaming has typically been a more expensive route, while consoles catered for the masses, now the ps3 will adopt the old pc role, with the basic 360 versions and the wii accepting the role as 'console for the masses'.

Assuming this to be true, it is nintendo and microsoft, from a business perspective, that are in a stronger position, as there will always need to be an affordable console, whereas the need for such a highly priced (and speced) console such as the ps3 is yet to be proven. Sony therefore, are currently in an uncertain position.

I seem to have written an essay, so I will stop! but finally i'd just like to add that from my personal experience with friends, most people accept all of the next gen machines for their merits, and will happily sit down for multiplayer resistance or red steel, and similarly await halo three with open eyes. However, it seems to me to be the PS3 owners who are calling for some sort of console genocide, perhaps they are more insecure over the future of their £430 system?

Student_trap

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
There is only 1 game I would want for the Wii. I can't understand all the hype. It doesn't even have many games. I guess its a $250 paperweight. Are they going to come out with some RPGs? A final fantasy type game before the next lunar eclipse?

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I wouldn't really even consider TP a RPG...my friends and I all felt it was way more action game than RPG...it had a pseudo RPG plotline (cheesy) but lacked a lot of really basic RPG elements.

Paul

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
There is only 1 game I would want for the Wii. I can't understand all the hype. It doesn't even have many games. I guess its a $250 paperweight. Are they going to come out with some RPGs? A final fantasy type game before the next lunar eclipse?

Wii is not a great single-player system at the moment. It is, however, really, really great for parties or with a few friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.