Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
You guys/girls do realize that PS3 is outselling 360 by like 3:1 right? :rolleyes:

You think MS is on some sort of roller coaster ride to the top?

What have they done to show that they have longevity in the industry........absolutely nothing.
The ONLY reason MS has a lead over Sony is that they released their ***** hardware way before.
(with no sign of the division getting out of the red anytime soon)

PS3/Wii defect rates are said to be below 1%, whereas 360 is rumored to be as high as 30-35%
(and you think Sony is doomed?)

I guess ignorance is bliss.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
You guys/girls do realize that PS3 is outselling 360 by like 3:1 right? :rolleyes:

Are you absolutely bonkers?
US Sales Numbers
Japanese Sales Numbers
I see the 360 outselling the PS3 2-to-1 in the U.S. and similar numbers in Europe. The only place the PS3 outsells the 360 in is Japan.

Is that what you are thinking of? The PS3 DID manage to outsell the 360 3-to-1 this week in Japan only. But that's only because both consoles did pitifully bad; the XBox 360 made up 1% of console sales and the PS3 made up 3% (meanwhile DS was 56% and Wii was 22%).

The XBox 360 in the U.S. outsold the PS3 in Japan literally more than 16 times over (160,000 vs 9,500).

If you add the U.S. and Japanese sales numbers together, the XBox 360 outsells the PS3 two-to-one. I haven't seen European sales numbers recently but as far as I know the 360 leads there too.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
1.no they dont have identical graphics, one is better in terms on throughput. most ps3 gaems just arent maxing out to its full potential.

Realistically, the XBox 360 actually has a better graphics card than the PS3.

PS3 has a POTENTIALLY better processor but whether that will have any significant advantages remains to be seen; the Sega Saturn had a complex processor that could potentially do cool things and it was too complex for developers and helped kill the system.

And don't blab about potential. I haven't seen one game, existing or announced, that has graphics visibly far superior to the XBox 360's capabilities.
(pre-rendered footage doesn't count. No Killzone.)

Until a game comes along that shows otherwise, I consider both systems equals. Except that the PS3 has Blu-ray and costs $200-$300 more and has fewer exclusives.

would you not call that cartoony say compared to.......

...are you blind? I said "EXCEPT FOR PAPER MARIO" and you pull out a screenshot of Paper Mario?

Explain how this is cartoony:
2426_15.jpg

Or Resident Evil 4.

Viva Pinata is cartoony, but I don't say all XBox 360 games are cartoony.

Besides, why does "realism" make something superior? I'd take a game with a good art style any day. I'm actually quite interested to play Viva Pinata.

I agree, a PS3 without BluRay could easily be priced at $300 if not cheaper. But it comes the the BluRay! So it's a little more. (In my case just $100 more for the 20GB)

In a world where the majority of households still do not have HDTVs...the value is not visible to all.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Aren't we talking about Japan here?
"Wii outsold PS3 6:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:

My retort to all the blind people who say PS3 is "t3h d00m3d!"

"PS3 is outselling 360 3:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:
Oh, and thats total buddy not just last week.
JPN LTD - 372,550(360) 928,569(PS3) 2,713,666(Wii)

We can talk all territories(if you want to go there), but 360 is a failure in Japan, and that was my point.
PS3 is failing nowhere....yet. That doesn't mean it will/won't, but it is doing fine.

I've always stood by the position that this "gen" the war will be decided in America, and I will agree that MS currently has the advantage. However, it may be a different story in 4 years.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Besides, why does "realism" make something superior? I'd take a game with a good art style any day. I'm actually quite interested to play Viva Pinata.

Dont... it's too adictive :D My favorite 360 game to date, and personally I think it's one of the most visually accomplished titles on the system, a pure joy to behold and it's style aesthetics work brilliantly.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've always stood by the position that this "gen" the war will be decided in America, and I will agree that MS currently has the advantage.

I'm interested to see the NDP figures, since following the current trend the Wii is set to overtake to the 360 either in June or July.
Amazing when you consider the lead the 360 had.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yes indeed.......I do expect Nintendo to take the lead, however what I am uncertain about is whether or not they can keep it
MS is already proving how hard of a task that is.
(Sony and Ninty both blew by the 360 in Japan during the launch window - after its year long head start)

MS is an American company that caters to American gamers(generally speaking).
But they, like Nintendo - need to release software that can keep the momentum.
Yes, Sony does too, but they have had the better track record the last two gens(As far as releases).
Certainly the PS3 is also off to a slow start, but so was the PS2.

It wouldn't surprise me to see several lead changes throughout the regions in the coming years. And while I do think it will be a close race, there will definitely be a clear cut winner in the end. Who that is....well that's any body's guess.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I was referring to software titles being released, not hardware sales.

"In 2002 Sony went on an absolute tear for nine months straight, launching hit after hit with such speed it was like watching the Nazis blitz their way through Europe (perhaps a bit of a stretch, but it was pretty remarkable nonetheless). Red Faction, Twisted Metal: Black, Gran Turismo 3, Ico, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X, (although not loved by me) GTAIII, Hot Shots Golf 3, MGS2, Tony Hawk 3, Madden 2002… the list is almost endless."

There wasn't a whole lot out before that except for a few good titles and a whole lot of bad publicity. (production issues, DRE's, doomsday jouranlists, etc..)

If Sony can deliver in the same manner(which I think they will), then MS and Ninty better have some Aces up their sleeves.
As we all mostly agree its about the software not the hardware(even though faulty hardware and/or defects do come into play).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Realistically, the XBox 360 actually has a better graphics card than the PS3.

1PS3 has a POTENTIALLY better processor but whether that will have any significant advantages remains to be seen; the Sega Saturn had a complex processor that could potentially do cool things and it was too complex for developers and helped kill the system.

2And don't blab about potential. I haven't seen one game, existing or announced, that has graphics visibly far superior to the XBox 360's capabilities.
(pre-rendered footage doesn't count. No Killzone.)

3Until a game comes along that shows otherwise, I consider both systems equals. Except that the PS3 has Blu-ray and costs $200-$300 more and has fewer exclusives.

4...are you blind? I said "EXCEPT FOR PAPER MARIO" and you pull out a screenshot of Paper Mario?

5Explain how this is cartoony:
2426_15.jpg

6Besides, why does "realism" make something superior? I'd take a game with a good art style any day. I'm actually quite interested to play Viva Pinata.

1. yes the ps3 DOES have more potential in the graphics, and they can be seen now!!

2http://au.gamespot.com/features/6162742/ take a very close look at the 3rd image, hover your mouse over it and see the difference!!!!

3 i rest my case above ^^^

4 sorry about that, i tend not to read things in full detail, mybad

5look at that thing... i mean come on... u cannot be serious!

madd.jpg

6 realism does not make a game superior at any means, noway. the most effective games are the simplest ones (cept dynasty warriors!!!) the realistic onesjust look better and prob cost way too much to make

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm sorry here, but the PS3 has better graphics than 360? Has there actually been any realtime proof of this yet? All I'm seeing is the complete opposite. Heck have you missed the news about the halved frame rate in the PS3 version of Madden?

ps. in that 3rd pic all the PS3 version has is less contrasting colours and deeper bump mapping.
Anyone got a link for that upcoming baseball game on both systems? The audience on the PS3 version looked completely hideous and didn't even have shadows on the players.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I'm sorry here, but the PS3 has better graphics than 360? Has there actually been any realtime proof of this yet?

ps. in that 3rd pic all the PS3 version has is less contrasting colours and deeper bump mapping.
Anyone got a link for that upcoming baseball game on both systems? The audience on the PS3 version looked completely hideous and didn't even have shadows on the players.

ps3 is worth about 2 6800 ultras.. thats saying something i spose

i wonder hu makes that baseball game. a lot of competitiors are rushing to bring out games to get the money cauz there isnt much of the market...yet

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
well, E3 is less than a week a away......there should be several new demos, trailers, and pre-rendered cgi garbage for us to fight over.
(i.e. new content in a few days, so lets be patient) :p

As far as graphics go, I would have to admit they are very similar.
Nothing multi-platform has been impressive at all, but First Party and/or exclusives are starting to show potential.
Remember we are still fairly early in the dev life of either platform(not nintendo), so time will tell.

I think PS3 biggest advantage thus far is blu-ray....while we could argue which games look better(and obviously some of our opinions are gonna vary), I think most can admit that there aren't many games with the same scope as whats coming on PS3. I have yet to see any game with levels/worlds on the same scale as WarHawk and Lair, or even Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.......

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
As far as graphics go, I would have to admit they are very similar.
Nothing multi-platform has been impressive at all, but First Party and/or exclusives are starting to show potential.
Remember we are still fairly early in the dev life of either platform(not nintendo), so time will tell.

I think PS3 biggest advantage thus far is blu-ray....while we could argue which games look better(and obviously some of our opinions are gonna vary), I think most can admit that there aren't many games with the same scope as whats coming on PS3. I have yet to see any game with levels/worlds on the same scale as WarHawk and Lair, or even Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.......

yea agreed. we shall halt this debate and come back in 3 years time when the games are maxing the system out ;) ya?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Aren't we talking about Japan here?
"Wii outsold PS3 6:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:

My retort to all the blind people who say PS3 is "t3h d00m3d!"

"PS3 is outselling 360 3:1".......in JAPAN! :rolleyes:
Oh, and thats total buddy not just last week.
JPN LTD - 372,550(360) 928,569(PS3) 2,713,666(Wii)

We can talk all territories(if you want to go there), but 360 is a failure in Japan, and that was my point.
PS3 is failing nowhere....yet. That doesn't mean it will/won't, but it is doing fine.

I've always stood by the position that this "gen" the war will be decided in America, and I will agree that MS currently has the advantage. However, it may be a different story in 4 years.

You're seriously using the XBox 360's Japanese sales compared to PS3 in Japan as a benchmark of success? The original XBox crashed and burned with an under-1% marketshare. The fact that the PS3 is outselling it three times over is not just unimpressive; it's pitiful! The GameCube outsold the original XBox 15-to-1 easily, often 30 or 50-to-1 at times.

You're claiming that the PS3 is not a failure because it is outselling the worst failure in the country? That's not particularly impressive at all. The PS3 has sold less than the GameCube did over the same time period in Japan.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ossom :) The Macworld of gaming. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for the Wii.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
You're claiming that the PS3 is not a failure because it is outselling the worst failure in the country? That's not particularly impressive at all. The PS3 has sold less than the GameCube did over the same time period in Japan.

Yet you are calling it a failure because it didn't blow the xbox out of the water like the GC did(GC didn't fail). It really doesn't have anything to do with whats impressive(to you) at all. The PS3 has sold over 3.5mil world wide....leading in maybe one country and yet its a failure.

You guys are looking at sales numbers now when this thing is far from over and already announcing a dead console.

PS3 will do just fine....and with a $100 price drop...damn!

Bless

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Explain how this is cartoony:
[/img]
Ummm.... You are an elvish looking character that goes around and kills ficticious beasts. Explain how it is NOT cartoony.

If you think that it is not cartoony you have an impaired view of reality.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Ummm.... You are an elvish looking character that goes around and kills ficticious beasts. Explain how it is NOT cartoony.

If you think that it is not cartoony you have an impaired view of reality.

...isn't that the same concept as Oblivion, depending how you configure the character?

And weren't we discussing graphical styles, not story?

Fine then. EXPLAIN TO ME HOW RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS CARTOONY, and then I will concede. Good luck to you, really, I'd be really impressed if you succeed :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Yet you are calling it a failure because it didn't blow the xbox out of the water like the GC did(GC didn't fail). It really doesn't have anything to do with whats impressive(to you) at all. The PS3 has sold over 3.5mil world wide....leading in maybe one country and yet its a failure.

You guys are looking at sales numbers now when this thing is far from over and already announcing a dead console.

PS3 will do just fine....and with a $100 price drop...damn!

Bless

I did not declare it a failure; I merely strongly disagree with the poster who claimed that the PS3 is doing better than the 360, that Sony has proven their longevity because the PS3 is outselling the 360, and that Microsoft is only in the lead because of their early lead and not because they continue to outsell the PS3. Because that is a load of crap.

I think the PS3 still has a chance to come out a successful console (but not the leader). I just disagree with anyone who thinks it is doing better than the 360 right now.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Elf ears are cartoony?

Joysus chroyst I didn't know Peter Jacksons LotR was a cartoon.

I always thought the definition of a cartoon game was down to the rendering technique rather than using fantasy elements. Guess I was wrong :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.