Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I absolutely loathe the current music app on iOS, it's buggy and terribly designed. Sorry Apple, but not all of us wanna subscribe to your streaming service so stop shoving it down our throats within the app, either separate it or forgo it altogether. I have stopped using my iPhone for music since the iOS 8.4 update, iOS 9 hardly improved upon it. Even though I hope we can get a substantial overhaul in iOS 10, it probably won't happen knowing Apple :(

I really hate how my personal music collection has been effectively sidelined in favor of the streaming service. Gone are the customizable bottom tabs, instead all of my music has been crammed into single, fixed tab and it's extremely unintuitive. Basically, if you wanna use the current music app for only the traditional iPod functionalities and not subscribe to Apple Music, 90% of the rest of the app is pretty much unusable.

The Now Playing screen is so ugly with the status bar bleeding into the album art. It's very distracting and inelegant for Apple's GUI standards.

I also wish they would bring back some form of landscape mode and the Shake-to-Shuffle feature. How could any sane person call this app an improvement over its predecessors if they keep removing previously established features?

I have been spamming Apple with feedback regarding these issues and more, but I'm just one person and we all should submit feedback, otherwise Apple is gonna continue making crappy stock music apps for iOS. I wanna be able to properly use my iPhone as an iPod again.

For anybody that's interested in restoring the music app to its former glory:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Reactions: trifid

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I have been spamming Apple with feedback regarding these issues and more, but I'm just one person and we all should submit feedback, otherwise Apple is gonna continue making crappy stock music apps for iOS. I wanna be able to properly use my iPhone as an iPod again.
Think this is the most significant bit.

Things can always be better but the app works just fine. Separating Apple Music from the app is a no-go; people who use the service like being able to add songs from their personal collection and the Apple Music catalog to the same playlists. It may not be ideal for you but it works just fine for millions of users. Unfortunately for you, Apple has to cater to them too.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Will the app in iOS 10 be "better"?

No one here knows. End of thread. (FWIW - I also have issues with the Music app, but it's a dead horse long since beaten)

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013

Things can always be better but the app works just fine. Separating Apple Music from the app is a no-go; people who use the service like being able to add songs from their personal collection and the Apple Music catalog to the same playlists. It may not be ideal for you but it works just fine for millions of users. Unfortunately for you, Apple has to cater to them too.

The streaming service would work so much better a standalone app, as with the radio functions. Did everybody forget that Podcasts used to be part of the iPod/Music app before it was spinned off? By having separate apps, they can each do their respective functions to their fullest while still being able to communicate with each other.

I would like the music app to look and function more like the previous incarnations. Right now, it's incredibly cluttered and convoluted. The app used to be simple and enjoyable, now it's something I'd rather avoid using.
[doublepost=1457147831][/doublepost]

Apple Music has 11 million subscribers (idk how but they do) so that only amounts to a small fraction of the total user base.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple's history suggests that sometime in another eighteen months or so, improvements may result in a better experience. They just need time.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The streaming service would work so much better a standalone app, as with the radio functions. Did everybody forget that Podcasts used to be part of the iPod/Music app before it was spinned off? By having separate apps, they can each do their respective functions to their fullest while still being able to communicate with each other.

I would like the music app to look and function more like the previous incarnations. Right now, it's incredibly cluttered and convoluted. The app used to be simple and enjoyable, now it's something I'd rather avoid using.

Splitting Apple Music off from Music app would not be better. That would be taking away one of the key features of Apple Music - It seamlessly integrating with your own music library. It's not very seamless if you're listening to something in your own library, forced to leave the Music app, launch Apple Music, find something on Apple Music, tell it to add to you library, close Apple Music, re-launch Music, find what you just added, listen to it or download for offline.

If you love seperate apps so much, why not download one of the many dozens of music player apps on the App Store. I'm sure you'll find one that is stripped down and all about your precious music and nothing else.

You rather avoid using the Music app? So don't use it, no one forces you to use it. (see above) There are dozens of music player apps for you to use that can suit your needs available on the App Store and have been for many years.

This thread is as ridiculous as the last identical motive thread you made that got closed just over a week ago. Not very well thought through either. It's nothing but you rambling on and on about what you hate and demand change (on an app that got changed less than a year ago) for all, because you have some personal vendetta towards it.

I repeat, Music app isn't forced upon you to use. You have the freedom to use other apps. It's not rocket science. Don't like it? Don't use it, and use something you do like. The options are there, you're just refusing to use them and rather complain.
[doublepost=1457153190][/doublepost]
haven't they just partially redesigned the music app

Yes. Not even 1 year ago.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The music app is atrociously bad in iOS 9.There are HUGE lags everywhere and on top of that the UI is not at all user friendly.The first time I played a music I had no idea I had to drag the song bar up too see the scrubber and other functions.I actually had to Google it.Thats how horrible it is

Reactions: Arran

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The music app is atrociously bad in iOS 9.There are HUGE lags everywhere and on top of that the UI is not at all user friendly.The first time I played a music I had no idea I had to drag the song bar up too see the scrubber and other functions.I actually had to Google it.Thats how horrible it is
Seems like quite a bit of this kind of feedback was coming from people even with iOS 8.4 (basically from around the time when the app was actually redesigned).

Reactions: lagwagon

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

[doublepost=1457147831][/doublepost]
Apple Music has 11 million subscribers (idk how but they do) so that only amounts to a small fraction of the total user base.

No.

Apple Music is supposed to work with music on the phone as well as streaming. It works best as a single application.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
No.

Apple Music is supposed to work with music on the phone as well as streaming. It works best as a single application.
It's way too cluttered as a single app. It tries to do too much and when you try to be good at everything, you end up being good at nothing.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a rock in my shoe (Music app) but I don't want to take the time and effort into removing it from my shoe (downloading another music player that I will be happier with)

Instead I will just continue to complain about the rock in my shoe every time it jabs into my foot (create weekly threads on how much I don't like the Music app)

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I have a rock in my shoe (Music app) but I don't want to take the time and effort into removing it from my shoe (downloading another music player that I will be happier with)

Instead I will just continue to complain about the rock in my shoe every time it jabs into my foot (create weekly threads on how much I don't like the Music app)
Or maybe I just want Apple to get its **** together and stop pretending as if everything is perfect and justified.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Or maybe I just want Apple to get its **** together and stop pretending as if everything is perfect and justified.

Nothing is going to be perfect for everyone. That's why the App Store exists. So that people CAN use something more to their needs or wants.

Stock apps only serve the purpose having it available and ready to use right away, the second you buy the device and turn it on for the first time.

Some people use Apple Maps (actually most people who are on a iOS device do) but those that don't find it quite as robust, download and use Google Maps. Solving their problem of the stock app not fitting their needs and using something that does.

Same can be said for just about every single app. The stock app is either good enough and fits their needs or it's not, so they use a different app that does.

Once again. That is the point and purpose of having an App Store. Puts the choice in the hands of the user to use what fits their needs. For millions upon millions of users the stock apps work and do exactly what they need. That's what stock apps purpose is, good enough for the MAJORITY. Those in the minority have 3rd party apps to satisfy them.

Apple is not going to redesign an app that they redesigned less than a year ago to satisfy you, the minority.

Reactions: ohio.emt

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Nothing is going to be perfect for everyone. That's why the App Store exists. So that people CAN use something more to their needs or wants.

Stock apps only serve the purpose having it available and ready to use right away, the second you buy the device and turn it on for the first time.

Some people use Apple Maps (actually most people who are on a iOS device do) but those that don't find it quite as robust, download and use Google Maps. Solving their problem of the stock app not fitting their needs and using something that does.

Same can be said for just about every single app. The stock app is either good enough and fits their needs or it's not, so they use a different app that does.

Once again. That is the point and purpose of having an App Store. Puts the choice in the hands of the user to use what fits their needs. For millions upon millions of users the stock apps work and do exactly what they need. That's what stock apps purpose is, good enough for the MAJORITY. Those in the minority have 3rd party apps to satisfy them.

Apple is not going to redesign an app that they redesigned less than a year ago to satisfy you, the minority.

I'm sorry but I don't beat around the bush unlike the majority of people here. The fact that the stock music app went from near perfection in iOS 1-6, then deteriorated from iOS 7-8.3 and fully transformed into an utter POS from iOS 8.4+ really irks me. It truly shows how much Apple has forgotten why it become so incredibly popular in the first place. How could anybody in their right mind believe that it's an improvement over previous versions? You'd have to be a complete fanboy to think the current music app is the best and definitive version.

I totally understand the purpose of the App Store and 3rd party apps, but that should inspire Apple to make its own default apps even better, not the other way around.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm sorry but I don't beat around the bush unlike the majority of people here. The fact that the stock music app went from near perfection in iOS 1-6, then deteriorated from iOS 7-8.3 and fully transformed into an utter POS from iOS 8.4+ really irks me. It truly shows how much Apple has forgotten why it become so incredibly popular in the first place. How could anybody in their right mind believe that it's an improvement over previous versions? You'd have to be a complete fanboy to think the current music app is the best and definitive version.

I totally understand the purpose of the App Store and 3rd party apps, but that should inspire Apple to make its own default apps even better, not the other way around.

If it irks you so much then find an app that works for YOU. It's your unwillingness to make yourself happier that is the problem. Not the app that works well for the majority.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Apple Music works great for me, so I guess you're wrong. I like the design when Connect is removed.
The current music app can only be used to its full potential as long as you're subscribed to Apple Music but if you're not, it's only about 10% usable and effectively the rest of the app became an advertisement for the streaming service. That in itself shows Apple's greed and contempt for its users. The fact that you have to pay a monthly fee to get the most out of a stock app is an absolute spit in the face.
[doublepost=1457217696][/doublepost]
If it irks you so much then find an app that works for YOU. It's your unwillingness to make yourself happier that is the problem. Not the app that works well for the majority.

Most people that I've talked to hate it. I tend to think for myself and formulate my own opinions but I always like to go around and see what others think just to make sure I'm not crazy or anything. I did the same thing when iOS 7 was realized and not one positive thing was said about the redesigned UI. It was either an extreme dislike or at very least, indifference, but not a single heap of praise. The only people that love the current music app are the fanboys who wouldn't dare speak out against the mighty Apple.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I wish the tabs were customizable again.

Also, when I tap a song to play, why can't the full album art with the controls automatically pop up? I hate that I constantly have to try and tap the tiny player after picking a song.

Also, I miss being able to tap on an artist and be taken to a full list of their albums with all of the songs SHOWING. Sometimes I forget what particular album a song is on and I have to go into each one until I find it (rather than just scrolling down until I see it).

You're right though. The new music app REALLY pushes you to use their streaming service. I can't even search my own music library without it defaulting to Apple music search! Just let me play my OWN music locally on my device!

Also, about Apple music. Let's say I'm listening to a song from Apple music, there's no EASY way to purchase that song from within the music app. How stupid is that??

Reactions: BillyMatt87

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The current music app can only be used to its full potential as long as you're subscribed to Apple Music but if you're not, it's only about 10% usable and effectively the rest of the app became an advertisement for the streaming service. That in itself shows Apple's greed and contempt for its users. The fact that you have to pay a monthly fee to get the most out of a stock app is an absolute spit in the face.
[doublepost=1457217696][/doublepost]

Most people that I've talked to hate it. I tend to think for myself and formulate my own opinions but I always like to go around and see what others think just to make sure I'm not crazy or anything. I did the same thing when iOS 7 was realized and not one positive thing was said about the redesigned UI. It was either an extreme dislike or at very least, indifference, but not a single heap of praise. The only people that love the current music app are the fanboys who wouldn't dare speak out against the mighty Apple.

Hyperbole much?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wish the tabs were customizable again.

Also, when I tap a song to play, why can't the full album art with the controls automatically pop up? I hate that I constantly have to try and tap the tiny player after picking a song.

Also, I miss being able to tap on an artist and be taken to a full list of their albums with all of the songs SHOWING. Sometimes I forget what particular album a song is on and I have to go into each one until I find it (rather than just scrolling down until I see it).

You're right though. The new music app REALLY pushes you to use their streaming service. I can't even search my own music library without it defaulting to Apple music search! Just let me play my OWN music locally on my device!

Also, about Apple music. Let's say I'm listening to a song from Apple music, there's no EASY way to purchase that song from within the music app. How stupid is that??

It's hilarious you mention not being able to see full track lists on every album and instead it just shows the album (when it's over 4 or more albums)

One of the big complaints (and a complaint made by the majority) during 8.4 beta when it was being redesigned was the fact that it showed all the tracks regardless if you had 1 album or 20. People complained it took forever to scroll down to the 20th album. They fixed that and made it 4 or more albums doesn't show tracks.

So now you want something that Apple fixed due to lots feedback to be reverted. I guess it's only an issue if it only effects you right? Screw the majority.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
It's hilarious you mention not being able to see full track lists on every album and instead it just shows the album (when it's over 4 or more albums)

One of the big complaints (and a complaint made by the majority) during 8.4 beta when it was being redesigned was the fact that it showed all the tracks regardless if you had 1 album or 20. People complained it took forever to scroll down to the 20th album. They fixed that and made it 4 or more albums doesn't show tracks.

So now you want something that Apple fixed due to lots feedback to be reverted. I guess it's only an issue if it only effects you right? Screw the majority.

The artist view is probably the ONLY improvement Apple made in the music app over the 7-8.3 version, but everything else turned to ****.

But he is right about the lack of customizable tabs. Any app that decided to removes customization (no matter how minor) and established features for no reason and doesn't bother to replace them with anything (such as landscape view and shake-to-shuffle) makes the current music app a huge downgrade in usability and intuitiveness.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The artist view is probably the ONLY improvement Apple made in the music app over the 7-8.3 version, but everything else turned to ****.

But he is right about the lack of customizable tabs. Any app that decided to removes customization (no matter how minor) and established features for no reason and doesn't bother to replace them with anything (such as landscape view and shake-to-shuffle) makes the current music app a huge downgrade in usability and intuitiveness.

So Music app is now bad because of no landscape view? (something that got a heaping pile of complaints about for a couple years and now finally removed as a result) and Shake to Shuffle? (a gimmicky remnant of the iPod Shuffle days that I doubt more than 5% of total users ever used or even knew it existed.)

Your arguments against get more ridiculous by the hour.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
So Music app is now bad because of no landscape view? (something that got a heaping pile of complaints about for a couple years and now finally removed as a result) and Shake to Shuffle? (a gimmicky remnant of the iPod Shuffle days that I doubt more than 5% of total users ever used or even knew it existed.)

Your arguments against get more ridiculous by the hour.

Who complained about the landscape mode? Everybody loved the Cover Flow interface, it was the tile interface from 7-8.3 that didn't get much love but it was better than nothing. Honestly it's a waste of the larger displays to not do anything in landscape. If people really hated the landscape mode on the music app, they could always lock the rotation.

Shake-to-shuffle was fun and useful, and you could always disable it in the settings.

The fact that Apple removed OPTIONAL features shows how little they care about their users and their personal preferences. It's now a "my way or the highway" mentality with Apple and that's arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.