Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
The music app is certainly disappointing for those who don't use streaming service, but I wouldn't say it is "90%" unusable. Yes, Apple will try to improve the Music app iOS 10, but I am pretty sure "improving Music app" is focusing more on streaming service. If any, the Music app will become less and less focused on personal music collection. In the end, Apple gotta push more people to subscribe to the streaming service.

But that's ok for me. At least it still does what it is supposed to do - store and play music.

I only have 3 major complaints:

1. Why does the screen turn white for a couple of seconds (sometimes as long as 10 seconds) when cellular signal changes between LTE, 3G and no signal....? Every time it refreshes, it brings me to My Music instead of the album I was playing. I even have cellular data disabled for Music app.

2. The scrubber... It's been an issue since iOS 7. That thing is so hard to grab and place it where I want! And the movement seems choppy compared to previous circular design.

3. Like OP said, I wish there were a way to customize the tabs. But then again, I wouldn't even know what to add instead of Connect and Radio... At least it would be nice not to see those.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's hilarious you mention not being able to see full track lists on every album and instead it just shows the album (when it's over 4 or more albums)

One of the big complaints (and a complaint made by the majority) during 8.4 beta when it was being redesigned was the fact that it showed all the tracks regardless if you had 1 album or 20. People complained it took forever to scroll down to the 20th album. They fixed that and made it 4 or more albums doesn't show tracks.

So now you want something that Apple fixed due to lots feedback to be reverted. I guess it's only an issue if it only effects you right? Screw the majority.

Why is that hilarious to you? I got used to and grew to like the expanded album view. I also liked that I could start one album and when that was done, it would automatically play the next one.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Why is that hilarious to you? I got used to and grew to like the expanded album view. I also liked that I could start one album and when that was done, it would automatically play the next one.

It's hilarious because something you want back got changed because of complainers (but rightfully so, because artists with many albums was dreadful having to scroll through 9 albums worth of tracks just to get to the 10th album.)

The very thing that brought on that change (complaining) is what you're doing now. Complaining. But I guess complaints are only valid if it's something YOU want, right?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I personally don't mind it, I went in to settings and turned off Apple Music, then I turned off connect in restrictions and I am able to use my music collection and browse my playlists just fine. The interface while music is playing doesn't bother me since I'm not staring at the screen while a song is playing but rather listening and enjoying the music.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's hilarious because something you want back got changed because of complainers (but rightfully so, because artists with many albums was dreadful having to scroll through 9 albums worth of tracks just to get to the 10th album.)

The very thing that brought on that change (complaining) is what you're doing now. Complaining. But I guess complaints are only valid if it's something YOU want, right?

I never said their complaints weren't valid, but I wasn't complaining about the old music app.

Also, about scrolling to the tenth album... It was as easy as flicking your finger fast and you were there in seconds. That didn't bother me.

The least they could do is put a toggle in the settings to show all albums expanded.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I never said their complaints weren't valid, but I wasn't complaining about the old music app.

Also, about scrolling to the tenth album... It was as easy as flicking your finger fast and you were there in seconds. That didn't bother me.

The least they could do is put a toggle in the settings to show all albums expanded.

The point I was making is. It did something you liked, people complained and now it doesn't. You are now the one complaining about it. Proving no matter what Apple does there will always be people to complain. The only thing Apple can do is go with the majority. Which is what they've done.

Reactions: CB1234

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
The point I was making is. It did something you liked, people complained and now it doesn't. You are now the one complaining about it. Proving no matter what Apple does there will always be people to complain. The only thing Apple can do is go with the majority. Which is what they've done.

It's somewhat ironic because my only true gripe with the 7-8.3 music app was the artist view, yeah the overall GUI was still inferior to iOS 6 but most of the functionality remained the same except for the artist view. iOS 8.4 remedied that one issue but it ruined everything else.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple did a good thing when it comes to music:

- They allowed any 3rd party music player to access your local music library
- They allowed any 3rd party music player to access the media controls on the lock screen and control center.

This leaves very little reason to use the native music player when a 3rd party music player will give you the same if not more features.

Last edited:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Because any form of dissent or criticism of the great and all-wise Apple is not allowed here, I keep forgetting that... :eek:

No. Because you keep making threads complaining about it over and over but never actually do anything to solve your own problem that is so easily fixable. I suppose being cranky and complaining is easier than using a different app and being happier.

Reactions: hojx

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Because any form of dissent or criticism of the great and all-wise Apple is not allowed here, I keep forgetting that... :eek:
Your problem is easily solved.

Apple did a good thing when it comes to music:

- They allowed any 3rd party music player to access your local music library
- They allowed any 3rd party music player to access the media controls on the lock screen and control center.

This leaves very little reason to use the native music player when a 3rd party music player will give you the same if not more features.

But hey if you want to complain for about 10 more pages before the thread gets locked, that's your choice.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
No.

Apple Music is supposed to work with music on the phone as well as streaming. It works best as a single application.

Nothing is going to be perfect for everyone. That's why the App Store exists. So that people CAN use something more to their needs or wants.

Stock apps only serve the purpose having it available and ready to use right away, the second you buy the device and turn it on for the first time.

Some people use Apple Maps (actually most people who are on a iOS device do) but those that don't find it quite as robust, download and use Google Maps. Solving their problem of the stock app not fitting their needs and using something that does.

Same can be said for just about every single app. The stock app is either good enough and fits their needs or it's not, so they use a different app that does.

Once again. That is the point and purpose of having an App Store. Puts the choice in the hands of the user to use what fits their needs. For millions upon millions of users the stock apps work and do exactly what they need. That's what stock apps purpose is, good enough for the MAJORITY. Those in the minority have 3rd party apps to satisfy them.

Apple is not going to redesign an app that they redesigned less than a year ago to satisfy you, the minority.

Why do people keep justifying the missteps Apple keeps making?They just had to shove their stream service down our throats.What about the fact that most people have their own music library and dont want all that crap in the app?I,personally,do use a third party music app ALONG with Apple Music but that doesnt excuse the terrible regression in the UI of the stock app which many people loved on early versions of iOS.Is the Music App as USER FRIENDLY as this?

touch20of20gra-100003789-medium.png

ios-6-music.jpg

Just looking at the size of those buttons and scrubber and how intuitive the OVERALL UI looks fills me with joy.

Now look at this crap.Looks like a hellhole with that tiny ass scrubber which I didnt even notice till I accidentally touched it.Everything is too damn thin and tiny and the user is completely lost in the sea of options and sliding menus everywhere

applemusicscreenshots-800x709.jpg

There is no tips or pointers on how to expand that tiny song playback bar.All of MY OWN music is stoved away like garbage in a single My Music section with substantially less options for sorting.People should just accept that when they added AM to the Music app they had to compromise the INTENDED functionality of being user friendly for those with their own library in the first place

PS-@lagwagon :What does Apple Maps do that Google Maps cant?Third Party solutions are perfect.The stock apps are not

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyMatt87

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Who complained about the landscape mode? Everybody loved the Cover Flow interface, it was the tile interface from 7-8.3 that didn't get much love but it was better than nothing. Honestly it's a waste of the larger displays to not do anything in landscape. If people really hated the landscape mode on the music app, they could always lock the rotation.

Shake-to-shuffle was fun and useful, and you could always disable it in the settings.

The fact that Apple removed OPTIONAL features shows how little they care about their users and their personal preferences. It's now a "my way or the highway" mentality with Apple and that's arrogant.
You want landscape view and shake to shuffle back, but say you want the app stripped so you can enjoy your music intuitively..

What a contradiction.
You either want more features packed into the music app, or you want it stripped, you can't have both..

Your arguments are very badly thought out

Reactions: lagwagon

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
You want landscape view and shake to shuffle back, but say you want the app stripped so you can enjoy your music intuitively..

What a contradiction.
You either want more features packed into the music app, or you want it stripped, you can't have both..

Your arguments are very badly thought out

What's the contradiction? I want Apple to return a few features they inexplicably removed. It's not like those features added any bloat the way the current music app does with the streaming service and Beats radio, Connect, etc. Yes, I would love the app to be stripped down to its original function: being an iPod player. However, those unnecessarily removed features were just natural extensions of the app, nothing tacked on.

Your argument makes no sense.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Why do people keep justifying the missteps Apple keeps making?They just had to shove their stream service down our throats.What about the fact that most people have their own music library and dont want all that crap in the app?I,personally,do use a third party music app ALONG with Apple Music but that doesnt excuse the terrible regression in the UI of the stock app which many people loved on early versions of iOS.Is the Music App as USER FRIENDLY as this?

ios-6-music.jpg

Just looking at the size of those buttons and scrubber and how intuitive the OVERALL UI looks fills me with joy.

Now look at this crap.Looks like a hellhole with that tiny ass scrubber which I didnt even notice till I accidentally touched it.Everything is too damn thin and tiny and the user is completely lost in the sea of options and sliding menus everywhere

There is no tips or pointers on how to expand that tiny song playback bar.All of MY OWN music is stoved away like garbage in a single My Music section with substantially less options for sorting.People should just accept that when they added AM to the Music app they had to compromise the INTENDED functionality of being user friendly for those with their own library in the first place

PS-@lagwagon :What does Apple Maps do that Google Maps cant?Third Party solutions are perfect.The stock apps are not

A) Most people these days stream more than own. See? I can make claims without proof as well.
B) I like the UI of the new app as long as Connect is removed.
C) Third Party Solutions are not perfect.

Look, the current app needs work. Every app always needs to improve. But all I read from you is how everything Apple makes somehow sucks.

What's the contradiction? I want Apple to return a few features they inexplicably removed. It's not like those features added any bloat the way the current music app does with the streaming service and Beats radio, Connect, etc. Yes, I would love the app to be stripped down to its original function: being an iPod player. However, those unnecessarily removed features were just natural extensions of the app, nothing tacked on.

Your argument makes no sense.

If you want an application that just plays music and doesn't have the streaming service, I can find some for you. But don't ruin my Apple Music app simply because you don't use it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2990863/ios-apps/alternatives-to-apple-s-ios-music-app.html

Last edited:
Reactions: lagwagon

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

ios-6-music.jpg

Because it's not a misstep just because the minority have a personal vendetta towards anything Apple does? Or how about because we don't get so worked up and lose sleep over a bloody app?

How much of an app any one person uses is completely irrelevant. I don't use Top Charts, Explore and barely ever use Featured tabs in the App Store. By both you and the OP's logic. I should complain and make threads on a forum about how 90% of the App Store is unusable because I don't use a couple tabs or 1.5 million of the apps I don't download from it. I demand Apple splits all those tabs into separate apps! How could they be so incompetent on designing the App Store app! I'm so outraged I'm force to look at the Top Charts tab when I don't care what apps make the most money and just want to update the few apps I do download!

You're not even comparing screenshot for screenshot. The old full screen player is hideous. The new one has far more options readily available to the user. The scrubber is too far up, new one is in the middle and easier to one hand it because it's right in the middle. 1/4 of the top of the screen is cluttered with junk and blocking a pretty big piece of the album art. It's funny. OP complains about the tiny text of the Status Bar "bleeding" into the album art on the new one but is ok with a huge bar with controls blocking it? Get real.

I really don't know what to say about you getting confused about the scrubber. I can hit and scrub away 100% of the time I wish to activate it. I immediately knew where it was the day 8.4 went into beta.

I really, really don't know what to say about you getting confused about the mini player. Tap the mini player and the full screen player/controls are there. Once again wasn't anything that was confusing day one of 8.4 beta and instantly figured it out. No Google, tips or pointers were required to figure out an extremely simple thing.

P.S. You complete missed the point of why I mentioned Google Maps. Google Maps is "perfect" for you, that's fine. So is Apple Maps, perfect for others. Stock apps aren't meant to fit everyone's needs /wants. They are there to provide things right away after the phone is activated when someone buys their phone. For the majority the stock apps give them exactly what they want. For the people who do not like the stock apps, they have an App Store to find and get the 3rd party app that does give them what they want. This is why threads like this are a joke. OP would rather complain/lose sleep over an app than actually help his own situation and get an app that he likes. Missing the point of stock apps + App Store.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
You're not even comparing screenshot for screenshot. The old full screen player is hideous. The new one has far more options readily available to the user. The scrubber is too far up, new one is in the middle and easier to one hand it because it's right in the middle. 1/4 of the top of the screen is cluttered with junk and blocking a pretty big piece of the album art. It's funny. OP complains about the tiny text of the Status Bar "bleeding" into the album art on the new one but is ok with a huge bar with controls blocking it? Get real.

If I can remember correctly, you could simply to activate or dismiss the scrubber and the shuffle and repeat controls by tapping on the album art. With the current app, the transparent status bar is completely baked in, it does not go away period. Besides, that was only with the 3.5" display, with the 4" iPhone 5 display, it sat right above the album art, therefore it remained completely unobstructed. Next time, use facts and research before you post.
more_music_image-iphone.png

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If I can remember correctly, you could simply to activate or dismiss the scrubber and the shuffle and repeat controls by tapping on the album art. With the current app, the transparent status bar is completely baked in, it does not go away period. Besides, that was only with the 3.5" display, with the 4" iPhone 5 display, it sat right above the album art, therefore it remained completely unobstructed. Next time, use facts and research before you post.
more_music_image-iphone.png

I was refering to the screenshot he posted as his "evidence". Perhaps he shouldn't post a screenshot that isn't accurate to back his argument. Ignoring that he didn't even post equal screenshots to compare the two. (What does the bubbles have to do with the actual music player in his comparison? Nothing.)

Telling someone to use facts and research before posting is rich coming from you.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Telling someone to use facts and research before posting is rich coming from you.

Well I don't see you doing it, so who are you to talk? If you're so happy with the current music app and think it's absolutely perfect and Apple doesn't deserve even the slightest amount of constructive criticism, then why are you posting in this thread? I am legitimately concerned about the declining quality of iOS and its core apps, I don't sugarcoat things the way most do here. Stop ignoring the elephant in the room and go back to living in your "Apple is perfect and can do no wrong" fantasy world.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well I don't see you doing it, so who are you to talk? If you're so happy with the current music app and think it's absolutely perfect and Apple doesn't deserve even the slightest amount of constructive criticism, then why are you posting in this thread? I am legitimately concerned about the declining quality of iOS and its core apps, I don't sugarcoat things the way most do here. Stop ignoring the elephant in the room and go back to living in your "Apple is perfect and can do no wrong" fantasy world.

I never said it was absolutely perfect. I'm not the one who is in the minority of hating a stock app so much I need to make numerous threads complaining over and over about it and lose sleep over for hating it so much.

You constantly miss the whole point of how things work in the real world. No app or any piece of software will suit the needs of everyone. That's literally impossible. Stock apps aren't supposed to be the end all of apps for that specific task. They are there so that someone buying the product has something to use right away. For the majority (not you) they fill all the purposes of those tasks just fine, fulfilling its purpose. For the minority (you) the small amount of people who want something else have 3rd party apps tailored to satisfy them. So how about you get facts and research before kicking and screaming about something you refuse to rectify on your own, when ALL the tools are available to you to do just that.

Making new threads on the same topic over and over after your old ones get closed doesn't and won't change a thing. It's completely pointless.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I never said it was absolutely perfect. I'm not the one who is in the minority of hating a stock app so much I need to make numerous threads complaining over and over about it and lose sleep over for hating it so much.

Who says it's a minority? It's not as universally loved and accepted as you believe it is. A lot of friends that I've talked to have either ditched their iPhone (like I've recently done and I actually don't miss it anymore), stopped using it for music or probably won't consider buying another iPhone anytime soon.

The irony of your statement is that the previous music app was quite adequate for most users and performed its primary function extremely well: playing your music library as if it were an iPod. I mean wasn't that one of the original tentpole features of the iPhone?

Now, to fully use the app, you need to give Apple $10 every month. That feels like something Microsoft would do during the Steve Ballmer era. Why are so many Apple fans content with Tim Cook essentially turning Apple into Microsoft in terms of product and business strategy? The hypocrisy is strong with them...

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who says it's a minority? It's not as universally loved and accepted as you believe it is. A lot of friends that I've talked to have either ditched their iPhone (like I've recently done and I actually don't miss it anymore), stopped using it for music or probably won't consider buying another iPhone anytime soon.

The irony of your statement is that the previous music app was quite adequate for most users and performed its primary function extremely well: playing your music library as if it were an iPod. I mean wasn't that one of the original tentpole features of the iPhone?

Now, to fully use the app, you need to give Apple $10 every month. That feels like something Microsoft would do during the Steve Ballmer era. Why are so many Apple fans content with Tim Cook essentially turning Apple into Microsoft in terms of product and business strategy? The hypocrisy is strong with them...

So a lot of your friends (people in your circle who are probably like minded and why they're in your circle to begin with) makes up the hundreds of millions of iOS users? Get real. I didn't say it was universally loved. Reading comprehension man. I said the majority, which means most out the hundreds of millions of iOS users find it works just fine for them (IE anywhere from adequate to great)

The Music app still plays your music like an iPod. You keep arguing that like the ability to play music is gone.

You do not need to pay $10 a month to fully use the app. If all you need to app to do is play your music, then for your needs you're fully using the app by playing your music. Wether other features are in there or not and wether you use them or not is 100% irrelevant.

Keep losing sleep over it. I'll keep listening to my music.

Reactions: -BigMac-

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
The Music app still plays your music like an iPod. You keep arguing that like the ability to play music is gone.

Obviously the ability is there, but definitely under emphasized to the point where Apple clearly stopped caring about that core feature and put more focus on a second-rate streaming service that will never overtake Spotify. I wish Apple would give on these online services, they either suck or are mediocre at best. The worst part is, they try to shove it down our throats. The Apple of before would never design and develop a music app as cluttered, convoluted and poorly laid out as the current version. I have trouble believing this the same company that created the iPod in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.