Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
This thread shouldn't be locked. If we can't have a constructive discussion then why even have a forum? If anyone criticises or critiques Apple here they just get told "go to Android", "don't use it", or "lock thread". It's absurd.

I'm an Apple Music user, and I mostly agree with the OP. The music app is an absolute mess and is a nightmare to use. However I do like how it's integrated with Apple Music so I can easily build playlists with my own music and Apple Music.

With that said, the first 4 tabs of the app are redundant to me. "For You" is pointless and mainly shows me albums I already own. The "New" tab never shows me anything interesting. I don't listen to Radio. And I still have no idea what Connect is supposed to do, but whatever it is, it does it poorly.

The actual music player itself is pretty bad for all the reasons the OP listed. I love the "Play Next" functionality but the whole design of the UI is dreadful and unintuitive. E.G. Ever tried to remove a song from "up next", you need to swipe left and click "Remove"... Except pressing on the song instantly plays it! Good work Apple!

Again, and I seem to be saying this in every post lately, user experience was clearly not a priority for Apple when designing this app. It's clearly all about pushing services not providing a good user experience.

Completely support and encourage a redesign.

Reactions: BillyMatt87

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This thread shouldn't be locked. If we can't have a constructive discussion then why even have a forum? If anyone criticises or critiques Apple here they just get told "go to Android", "don't use it", or "lock thread". It's absurd.

I'm an Apple Music user, and I mostly agree with the OP. The music app is an absolute mess and is a nightmare to use. However I do like how it's integrated with Apple Music so I can easily build playlists with my own music and Apple Music.

With that said, the first 4 tabs of the app are redundant to me. "For You" is pointless and mainly shows me albums I already own. The "New" tab never shows me anything interesting. I don't listen to Radio. And I still have no idea what Connect is supposed to do, but whatever it is, it does it poorly.

The actual music player itself is pretty bad for all the reasons the OP listed. I love the "Play Next" functionality but the whole design of the UI is dreadful and unintuitive. E.G. Ever tried to remove a song from "up next", you need to swipe left and click "Remove"... Except pressing on the song instantly plays it! Good work Apple!

Again, and I seem to be saying this in every post lately, user experience was clearly not a priority for Apple when designing this app. It's clearly all about pushing services not providing a good user experience.

Like I stated before Apple was reasonable enough to allow 3rd party music players to access the local iTunes library and allow for lock screen and control center controls. That is literally a free pass to use ANY 3rd party music player with no loss of functionality unless you subscribe to Apple Music.

Many people are gravitating toward streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music etc these days.I'm still old school enough to carry around 10GB of music on my phone. Considering how much music I listen to the native App does the job. I don't obsess over the design or usability. I also don't find it a mess or confusing.

Reactions: hojx and lagwagon

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

It should be locked because it's nothing but a rant fest by the OP who's made identical threads already and got closed. Suggesting to use another app is legit advice. Advice the OP refuses to consider.

Music app is NO different to people who use Fantasticical instead of stock Calendar, people who use Noteability instead of Notes, people who use Dark Sky or Carrot Weather instead of stock Weather, people who use Google Maps or Waze instead of stock Apple Maps.

Those people found the stock offering not to be enough so they sought out for something that works for them. Music is just another stock app that won't satisfy everyone and has 3rd party offerings just like every single other thing has.

Why complain about it endlessly when you can do as some others have done with just about every other app.

Is Google's YouTube native app terrible because some people use ProTube instead to fit their needs/wants better? No, not necessarily. It just means, just like anything in this world. If you don't like something you use something you do like.

Why use something and just be upset over it the entire time when dozens of options are available to make you happier? Makes absolutely zero sense.

Reactions: hojx

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
The rube goldberg mess that the music app became frustrated me. I couldn't wrap my head around what the music app would do for me and what exactly was required to achieve it. The mechanism for DRM handling was particularly hard for me to understand. I finally gave up and subscribed to Spotify. Spotify is easy to understand and use. I no longer care what the music app does. It is in my Useless folder on my last home page. Good riddance.

Last edited:

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Like I stated before Apple was reasonable enough to allow 3rd party music players to access the local iTunes library and allow for lock screen and control center controls. That is literally a free pass to use ANY 3rd party music player with no loss of functionality unless you subscribe to Apple Music.

So basically you're saying, in a long winded way, "if you don't like it, don't use it. Don't complain about it".

If everyone followed that logic, there would be no constructive discussion on this forum, and no changes to software or hardware would ever be made. You could even apply the same logic to yourself and this thread: "if you don't like the thread, don't post in it. There are other threads you can post in".

This forum is here to discuss Apple products and services. Many people have problems, issues, feedback, suggestions for many of these products and services.

Many people feel that the Music app is poorly designed and it doesn't fit the use case it was designed for - it's a valid discussion topic. The fact that there are other Music apps out there is irrelevant, as this discussion is about the Apple Music app specifically.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Obviously the ability is there, but definitely under emphasized to the point where Apple clearly stopped caring about that core feature and put more focus on a second-rate streaming service that will never overtake Spotify. I wish Apple would give on these online services, they either suck or are mediocre at best. The worst part is, they try to shove it down our throats. The Apple of before would never design and develop a music app as cluttered, convoluted and poorly laid out as the current version. I have trouble believing this the same company that created the iPod in the first place.

Just because you choose to not use it/can't afford the $10 a month to use it, doesn't mean apple shouldn't implement a feature for the masses. a.k.a streaming.

I bet the real reason you complain weekly is because you torrent heaps, and hate the fact you have to spend $10 instead of $0 now.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Just because you choose to not use it/can't afford the $10 a month to use it, doesn't mean apple shouldn't implement a feature for the masses. a.k.a streaming.

I bet the real reason you complain weekly is because you torrent heaps, and hate the fact you have to spend $10 instead of $0 now.
Why should I pay 10 bucks for a cluttered laggy UI when Play Music and Spotify are hella more user friendly and smooth
[doublepost=1457350734][/doublepost]

Many people are gravitating toward streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music etc these days.I'm still old school enough to carry around 10GB of music on my phone. Considering how much music I listen to the native App does the job. I don't obsess over the design or usability. I also don't find it a mess or confusing.
By your logic,iOS and even Apple's apps should never be improved.Android has the ability to set defualt web browsers and applications.iOS doesnt.This is a very useful feature so by your logic I should just switch to Android as "majority" of iOS users supposedly dont want it

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Will it? There's no way to know.

Should it? Hells yeah!
It MUST get better, it was really good on iOS 6 and then it has been crumbling down from there. Apple Music? I'm sure that works really well, seamlessly, smooth, no lag, no problems. Offline/Local music? Not quite so. They tweaked its design, but some actions and markers are still misleading. Sometimes songs fail to appear aftern syncing, browsing animations lag sometimes, songs take a while to play when skipping, it barely handles this kind of music COMPARED to how focused it is on Apple Music, it got rid of "Cover Flow" (Last time i checked people didn't UTRA-HATED it)
It should be a separate app but why is people arguing about that?:Because it would make Offline playing look even worse
But there's only 5 guys complaining here about the app:If you think MacRumors forums are the only forum on the internet then good for you. A lot of people hated the new app and just because they aren't active or yelling 24/7 to people who likes it doesn't mean that they're happy with it or that they aren't hoping for it to change. Sure, most users seem happy in every aspect somehow, MOST but not ALL. And that "not so happy" slice is big enough for them to actually listen.
Throw the ball to a third-party app?:Why should we? It worked well on the past. Besides, Apple wouldn't really like that, if you know the company you know that for sure. That's like throwing the ball to anyone else. It is a solution, but not the propper/correct one, even though it has its advantages.
[Marketing tricks (marketing is the key in every argument based on numbers) can make a good fachade regarding who's happy according to them, like Apple Maps being supposedly used more around the world when 1)It isn't available in every country 2)It doesn't even have the core functions in most countries (That aren't big-important ones) 3)The Google Maps app being "unavailable" in lots of those(Changing the App Store country to US to get the app and then launching it shows FULL functionality)

So yeah, IMO you're right and i sahre your opinion and it must be respected and judged aside of forum rules, "reports" button, "ignore" button (It strikes popularity when users run out of arguments to keep fighting) or the typical "Still waiting for the lock"

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
So basically you're saying, in a long winded way, "if you don't like it, don't use it. Don't complain about it".

- Apple does not come to MacRumors for customer feedback on its products. This thread is merely 2 hen houses clucking away at each other until there is a thread lock or people just lose interest.
- The immediate solution to OP's complaints is to use another app until Apple gets around to "fixing" the music app (or not).

Reactions: I7guy and bilibug

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I don't obsess over the design or usability.

How could you call yourself an Apple fan and not care about design and/or usability? The obsessive attention to every tiny detail was a hallmark of the Jobs era, Forstall did his best to carry that over when Tim Cook took over but that sadly did not work out. There's no strive for perfection in anything they do anymore, the current music app definitely represents that. It's all bottom line and focus on maxing profits as long as Tim Cook remains the CEO.
[doublepost=1457371248][/doublepost]
- Apple does not come to MacRumors for customer feedback on its products. This thread is merely 2 hen houses clucking away at each other until there is a thread lock or people just lose interest.
- The immediate solution to OP's complaints is to use another app until Apple gets around to "fixing" the music app (or not).

You completely glossed over the fact that I posted the link for the feedback page, I've been repeatedly sending Apple feedback and I had recommended that many of you do the same if you're also unhappy with the current direction of the music app.

Here it is again: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
How could you call yourself an Apple fan and not care about design and/or usability? The obsessive attention to every tiny detail was a hallmark of the Jobs era, Forstall did his best to carry that over when Tim Cook took over but that sadly did not work out. There's no strive for perfection in anything they do anymore, the current music app definitely represents that. It's all bottom line and focus on maxing profits as long as Tim Cook remains the CEO.

Does the music app open? yes
Can you choose songs based on album, genre, playlist, artist? yes
Does the music play? yes

Case Closed.

Oh Wait, Billy does not approve! The music app is all messed up and unusable and it's Tim Cook's fault! :rolleyes:

Don't confuse your OCD over every little thing iOS related with being an Apple fan.

Reactions: lagwagon

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Here we go again.

Does the music app open? yes
Can you choose songs based on album, genre, playlist, artist? yes
Does the music play? yes

Case Closed.
It opens... with lag
You can choose... with extra less intuitive steps

Stop apologizing for Apple's terrible user interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.