Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim1206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
newport wales
Hi just wanted to know what the latest news is regarding a new iPhone se in 2017, my iPhone 6 is only just about alive and I'm looking to get the smaller phone for more pocketability and less slippage/droppage.

many thanks

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hopefully, but nobody here can tell you with any certainty. If you need a new device, buy one. It won't become less functional just because a newer iteration is released.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi just wanted to know what the latest news is regarding a new iPhone se in 2017, my iPhone 6 is only just about alive and I'm looking to get the smaller phone for more pocketability and less slippage/droppage.

many thanks

AT the most they would increase memory but I would assume they will keep making the SE as long as enough people bought it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No chance.

This year it's about the new design phone. Apple isn't going to release a phone later this year that would detract you from buying the more expensive models.

You have more of a chance to win the lottery than seeing a SE2 this year.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
The A9 in the SE is plenty powerful enough to last for the next couple of years at least, so if your thinking about getting a SE then go for the current version.

If they do decide to release another SE then it won't be until next year at the earliest.

Reactions: Reno Raines

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

many thanks

There was one rumor back in May indicating an unverified leak of what the future iPhone SE may resemble. It might have reduced bezels, a more rounded design, vertical camera and a different Touch display with Ion-X Glass.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/10/iphone-se-iphone-7s-ion-x-glass-rumor/amp/

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Ming-Chi Kuo would have told us by now if there were a new SE.

The SE is a low cost device intended for India, so it doesn't make sense to refresh it this soon either.

The "leaked" SE glass back photo was debunked a while ago. It wasn't covered here probably because no one can read Chinese. But the back was Photoshopped based on the 360 Mobiles N5S handset in China.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The SE is a low cost device intended for India, so it doesn't make sense to refresh it this soon either.

The "leaked" SE glass back photo was debunked a while ago. It wasn't covered here probably because no one can read Chinese. But the back was Photoshopped based on the 360 Mobiles N5S handset in China.

In fairness, Kuo has not announced products that did launch where he didn't have insight on them before hand (or) past production leaks have been inaccurate. Although, even without Kuo's prediction, the SE was never intended to be an annual release iPhone. It's mainstream was offering a low cost iPhone for the demographic who still uses the small form factor, which Apple was wise to retain. But India also does play a role for the SE, but even in India, it's still expensive in their economy.

Also, the leaked photo came from "Weibo", which is another sketchy source with past contradictions. You mentioned it was confirmed a fake, as it's in Chinese, which I'm inclined to believe it is, but I still see the iPhone SE returning in 2018.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In fairness, Kuo has NOT announced products that did launch where he didn't have insight on them before hand (or) past production leaks have been inaccurate. Although, even without Kuo's prediction, the SE was never intended to be an annual release iPhone. It's mainstream was offering a low cost iPhone for the demographic who still uses the small form factor, which Apple was wise to retain. But India also does play a role for the SE, but even in India, it's still expensive in their economy.

Also, the leaked photo came from "Weibo", which is another sketchy source with past contradictions. You mentioned it was confirmed a fake, as it's in Chinese, which I'm inclined to believe it is, but I still see the iPhone SE returning in 2018.

Given Kuo's track record and access to Apple's supply chain, I think it's extremely unlikely he would be unaware of an iPhone SE refresh in 2017. This is the man who revealed the display resolution of the iPhone X half a year before launch. I expect he would be aware of the existence of a launch.

If there is a refresh of the SE, I would not expect one until late 2018. As you mentioned, the SE is still too expensive for Indians.

Reactions: Sunny1990

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is where I stopped reading.

It's the only product in Apple's history where it's priced cheaper in India than in U.S. And that's after the Indian reseller and Amazon India have taken their cut of the profit. Every other iPhone, whether the 5, 6, or 7 has always been cheapest in the U.S.

Apple recently built a location in India just to assemble the SE.

IDC reports India was the largest purchaser of "dumb" feature phones in 2016. Indians purchased nearly 140 million of them in 2016. That's the largest group of customers in the world who have not purchased their first smartphone.

Apple didn't introduce a $399 phone to lower its ASP on purpose.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

The raison d'etre for the SE is several.

To say the Indian market was the reason for Apple making this model is flat out incorrect.

You can continue to believe that if you want...some people believe in the tooth fairy, too. I'm not going to go out to my way to tell them differently either.

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I'm hoping there will be a spec bump and/or price cut on the SE this year, if they don't introduce a new model. I've been waiting to buy one.

Reactions: Count Blah

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I was both puzzled and pleased when Apple introduced the SE. The very reasons that made the SE an attractive offering at that time still apply today, IMO. I can see the phone remaining available for another year with very few if any changes.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'll be needing a new phone in the next 6 months or so. Will be sad to leave the Apple ecosystem, but if they are still selling years old tech in the SE, I'll sadly be leaving.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
There's already 1 more model than usual coming this year and you want a 4th model? Give it another year.
I’d actually rather get an updated SE in September 2018 instead of this year. It’s really quite adequate right now-and I’m running the iOS 11 Beta. It’s just a great little device and I think it’ll hold its own for another year, easy.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Given that it's a Special Edition phone I wouldn't be surprised if they never make a new one and just phase it out in a few years or less.

I'm not sure how special it is given Apple built a plant in India just to make the iPhone SE. And it's priced in India $100 less than in the U.S.

rennett.Timo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017

Quite amazed to hear that.
I think there will be any SE model this year. I just feel that Apple and users pay much attention to the next IP 8, not much info about SE model

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Quite amazed to hear that.
I think there will be any SE model this year. I just feel that Apple and users pay much attention to the next IP 8, not much info about SE model

Actions always speak louder than words. You don't price the SE cheaper in India than anywhere in the world and then build a plant India just to assemble the SE there unless you're following a strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.