Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it'll be replaced in mid-2018 and will switch to the form-factor of the current iPhone 7 - perhaps retaining more of a slab design since I think that's one of the big draws of the SE. It's the next logical step in my own little theory that there won't be a 7s line launching in the Autumn - just the iPhone 8 redesign.

With the iPhone 8 expected to pack a much larger display, perceptions would shift. The new model's screen size becomes the norm, and the iPhone 7-sized display will feel smaller than it does now by comparison.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
It would be nice if Apple continued to offer a 4” screen option with the latest spec (excluding maybe one or two minor features like force touch) at a lower price. The SE was a smart move by Apple, at a time where iPhone sales started to stall a bit they released a phone that is iconically iPhone and which children could actually ask their parents for without being laughed at. It’s also a good phone for adults like myself who don’t really want the latest and greatest hardware all the time but have been quite happy with the Apple ecosystem over time and have no desire to give up all the software benefits of iOS. But with the 10 year anniversary this year I can see Apple focus on the flagship (Apple historically focus’ on one thing at a time).

If Apple did do an SE2, should they still use the same iPhone 5 chassis ?

Old design aside, I still see the current SE having many benefits:

* battery life better than 5s, 6, 6+, 6s and on-par with 6s+ and 7s+ in all tests and similar to 7 in some tests.
* better on-screen frame rates due to te lower resolution (similar to the 7 vs 7+).
* lighter in weight and nicer to hold
* can reach all areas of the screen with one thumb if you’re a child or have short thumbs.
* storage options up to 128Gb for less than £500.
* looks like an iPhone 5 so less likely to get stolen and less noticeable (not going to be questioned about your phone decision so much).
* all core functions of the flagship iPhones except haptic-feedback/force-touch (who actually uses this?), waterproofing and optical image stabilisation P3 calibrated photos.
* smaller battery so charges quicker of any 5W USB charger.
* cheaper to replace if lost of damaged
* good typical business phone where photography and screen quality is not important but a secure OS and consistent model is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: yep-sure
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.