Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'll be needing a new phone in the next 6 months or so. Will be sad to leave the Apple ecosystem, but if they are still selling years old tech in the SE, I'll sadly be leaving.

The SE combines the guts of a 6s with the form factor and display of a 5s. So "years" depends on which part of the phone we're discussing. Yeah, it's older tech, because that's part of the deal - lower tech, lower price. If the tech is too low, yeah, you may as well walk. I don't think you'll have to, though.

The SE was introduced in March 2016, half-way between the introduction of the 6s and the 7. It was refreshed in March 2017, but the only change was the bump-up in storage capacity. I wouldn't expect another refresh until March 2018, at which time it would be logical to have the guts of a 7 and the display of a 5s.

Typically, the entry-level phone is the year-old model. The SE may turn out to be an exception to the tradition, rather than a continuing product. So if Apple holds true to old form, the 7 and maybe 7 Plus will be available in fall 2017 at a new, lower price, and the SE will disappear altogether from the shelves in Apple's more affluent markets (going from Special Edition for all markets to Special Edition for Emerging Markets).

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think Apple would have decided a definite plan on a replacement to the SE yet. The problem for Apple is they've got a significant number of people holding SEs and eventually those people may not decide to upgrade to a expensive iPhone 8.
If my SE falls too far behind, I'll be having a good look at the Android competition if I have to carry a huge phone anyway.

Reactions: Count Blah

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
It's not about price for me, it's about size, comfort, usability and battery life.

The iPhone 8 could be half the price, complete with its waterproof chassis, face scanning, no bezels, wireless charging, advanced 3D, touch 4K front facing camera, super Siri, no headphone jack and whatever other gimmicks they can think of to jam into it, but it still wouldn't appeal to me as much as a super fast phone with ridiculous battery life that's effortless to use in hand, is comfortable in my jeans pocket, and is easy to transport.

For me, the SE in 2017 is still the best iPhone Apple have made. Most of the gimmicks are stripped away, it does everything I need to as good as the iPhone 7 does or 8 will (if not better), I can use it for days without charging it and in my opinion, it's the last example of that amazing Apple design that we all fell in love with many years ago.

I really don't know how the SE could be improved except for maybe updating the CPU to the current/next generation, which will most likely not actually result in any real world difference outside of perhaps some intensive 3D games.

Reactions: actcyclist

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm hoping there will be a spec bump and/or price cut on the SE this year, if they don't introduce a new model. I've been waiting to buy one.

A price cut?!

I doubt that. Maybe in India. Fly there to get one...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2011
SE can be had for half of the retail price currently (if you pay attention to deal site), so why do you need a price cut?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I just got a 128 se for $28 CAD on term. I'd do that again in a second rather than pay much more for a revised version

dfgddikf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
Hi just wanted to know what the latest news is regarding a new iPhone se in 2017, my iPhone 6 is only just about alive and I'm looking to get the smaller phone for more pocketability and less slippage/droppage.

many thanks

If "SE" means a 4 inch display to you, I'd say there won't be another SE. That time is over. But if "SE" means a well-hung design with not so fresh, almost obsolent internals (2 GB in 2017!) at an affordable price, the 4.7 7s might become the new SE.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
$200 for a new 32GB SE the Verizon version on sale currently.
If it came unlocked, then it would be nice at that price. Unfortunately...
[doublepost=1499309285][/doublepost]
If "SE" means a 4 inch display to you, I'd say there won't be another SE. That time is over. But if "SE" means a well-hung design with not so fresh, almost obsolent internals (2 GB in 2017!) at an affordable price, the 4.7 7s might become the new SE.
AT a 50% price hike, no doubt.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I'd imagine a refreshed SE in March 2018 with iPhone 6's form factor in a 4" size and A10 chipset (1 generation behind iPhone X).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE was introduced in March 2016, half-way between the introduction of the 6s and the 7. It was refreshed in March 2017, but the only change was the bump-up in storage capacity. I wouldn't expect another refresh until March 2018, at which time it would be logical to have the guts of a 7 and the display of a 5s.

I'd imagine a refreshed SE in March 2018 with iPhone 6's form factor in a 4" size and A10 chipset (1 generation behind iPhone X).

There's a legal time clock on the A10 because it contains Imagination IP.

Apple has said they won't be making royalty payments to IMG by 2018 which means future products won't be using A10. I wouldn't expect a SE refresh until late 2018, largely because of the drive to make SE an ultra low cost Apple smartphone for emerging economies. More importantly, Apple needs to use IMG-free chips meaning A11 or newer.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
No.
It's instantly unlocked out the box. All Verizon LTE iPhones since 2012 are sold that way.
Learn before you post false assumptions next time.

Beware the bands though, switching carriers mostly will yield quite low data speeds. Never had much luck in my locale.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
$200 for a new 32GB SE the Verizon version on sale currently.

Only for prepaid. And you can't use the prepaid model on postpaid service unless used for 6 or 12 months on prepaid. At least with GoPhone, you can use on ATT postpaid.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I really don't know how the SE could be improved except for maybe updating the CPU to the current/next generation, which will most likely not actually result in any real world difference outside of perhaps some intensive 3D games.

I'm going to be a bit restless if the camera on the SE which is 2015 (6s) quality falls too far behind the normal iPhone or Android.

If the reviews of the iPhone 8 and Pixel show the camera on the SE is now poor by comparison I'll want to switch. However, it will be a choice between the iPhone, Pixel and S8 and whichever is the smallest and lightest will probably be what I choose. The rumours of the 8 being even larger than the 7 don't look like it's going the way I want.

Reactions: yep-sure

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
All verizon LTE capable iphones are fully unlocked and will work with any carrier in the world;)

I wish I could confirm whether that was correct or not. I have a Verizon Prepaid LTE phone, which doesn't work with any of my other SIMs. Unfortunately, since it used the mini (size above nano), and didn't use a tray, when I tried a nano in it with an adapter, it got stuck. I may have damaged it getting the SIM out. So it fails because something is damaged, or because I last tried a Postpaid SIM in it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Beware the bands though, switching carriers mostly will yield quite low data speeds. Never had much luck in my locale.

It depends on the phone model and carrier you're planning on using it.
The particular SE in question has all LTE bands needed for any US gsm carrier.
Off course it's always good to do your research prior in order not to get any surprises. ;)
[doublepost=1499470069][/doublepost]
Only for prepaid. And you can't use the prepaid model on postpaid service unless used for 6 or 12 months on prepaid. At least with GoPhone, you can use on ATT postpaid.

You're comparing apples and oranges.
I was talking about a Verizon SE.
It has nothing to do with prepaid AT&T or anything you said above. Read my post again and tell me if I said anything about AT&T.
[doublepost=1499470168][/doublepost]
I wish I could confirm whether that was correct or not. I have a Verizon Prepaid LTE phone, which doesn't work with any of my other SIMs. Unfortunately, since it used the mini (size above nano), and didn't use a tray, when I tried a nano in it with an adapter, it got stuck. I may have damaged it getting the SIM out. So it fails because something is damaged, or because I last tried a Postpaid SIM in it.

If you broke the sim tray it really has nothing to do with being locked or unlocked like all Verizon LTE iPhones.
Assume whatever you want ;)

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2011
It depends on the phone model and carrier you're planning on using it.
The particular SE in question has all LTE bands needed for any US gsm carrier.
Off course it's always good to do your research prior in order not to get any surprises. ;)
[doublepost=1499470069][/doublepost]

You're comparing apples and oranges.
I was talking about a Verizon SE.
It has nothing to do with prepaid AT&T or anything you said above. Read my post again and tell me if I said anything about AT&T.
[doublepost=1499470168][/doublepost]

There is no need to bend over and giving them all the information. I mentioned the deal, they are supposed to look it up and do research for themselves. Enough said.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I for one think we have seen the last of the SE. 2018 will be restart of sorts for the iPhone line with three different bezel-less sizes being offered with OLED. The smallest of those sizes being SE-esque.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I have no doubt Apple will be looking into a small iphone to replace the SE because it sold so well, but it won't be replaced until at least Spring 2018.

Now Apple could cheap out and just stick a A10 & same 2GB of ram into the current SE body, upgrade the camera give it better Wifi and a few more LTE bands job done sell it at the current SE prices & the thing will still sell bucket loads.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
No chance.

This year it's about the new design phone. Apple isn't going to release a phone later this year that would detract you from buying the more expensive models.

You have more of a chance to win the lottery than seeing a SE2 this year.
this makes perfect sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.