Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
The iPad Mini 6 screen is 85% bigger than the iPhone 15 Pro Max screen FYI.
My wife who is an Electronic Engineer calculates (because I am bad at math) the iPad Mini 6 screen to be only 35.7% bigger than the iPhone 15PM screen. Seems like you are no better at math than I am.
giggle.gif

Edit: She used the actual surface area of the screens for her calculations, not the diagonal sizes.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My wife who is an Electronic Engineer calculates (because I am bad at math) the iPad Mini 6 screen to be only 35.7% bigger than the iPhone 15PM screen. Seems like you are no better at math than I am. View attachment 2330026

Edit: She used the actual surface area of the screens for her calculations, not the diagonal sizes.

As a mathematician and having nothing better to do, I couldn't resist this, so I measured both my Mini 6 and 14 Pro Max. I measured the usable display size, ignoring black screen edges and bezels.

Mini 6: 6.9375 X 4.5625 = 31.652 sq. in.

14PM: 6.0625 x 2.8125 = 17.051 sq. in.

31.652/17.051 = 1.856 so 85% is accurate.

Edit: Overlay picture here - https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPad-mini-6,Apple-iPhone-15-Pro-Max/phones/11789,11930

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The Pro Max models have almost as much screen real estate as the iPad Mini…..
Not so. The Mini 6 has nearly twice the screen real estate of a Pro Max iPhone, albeit in a different aspect ratio. Try laying a Pro Max on top of a Mini 6 (long edge to long edge). Do the mental math and you’ll see what I mean.

Reactions: G5isAlive

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
Not so. The Mini 6 has nearly twice the screen real estate of a Pro Max iPhone, albeit in a different aspect ratio. Try laying a Pro Max on top of a Mini 6 (long edge to long edge). Do the mental math and you’ll see what I mean.
Yeah I don’t know why people insist on saying the two screen sizes are similar. Just use them both and the difference is obvious, numbers be damned.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
As a mathematician and having nothing better to do, I couldn't resist this, so I measured both my Mini 6 and 14 Pro Max. I measured the usable display size, ignoring black screen edges and bezels.

Mini 6: 6.9375 X 4.5625 = 31.652 sq. in.

14PM: 6.0625 x 2.8125 = 17.051 sq. in.

31.652/17.051 = 1.856 so 85% is accurate.

Edit: Overlay picture here - https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPad-mini-6,Apple-iPhone-15-Pro-Max/phones/11789,11930
You are right. It's not my wife's fault though, I gave her the wrong screen dimensions for the mini.
embarrassed.png

Thank you @sparksd

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
where the mini 6 and a large phone are similar is in video size, so probably those who say that they are very close mainly watch videos on their tablets

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
If anyone has an ipad pro they would love to find a new home for, that can run fcp for ipad, I would love to be the forever home, the cost of ipads and ipad pro's in South Africa is simply way beyond my ability to afford... Really keen to try fcp for ipad.. please??

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
where the mini 6 and a large phone are similar is in video size, so probably those who say that they are very close mainly watch videos on their tablets
No, not at all similar in video size.
Try actually comparing these side-by-side and you’ll see that watching video on a Mini 6 is a clearly bigger and more immersive experience than watching on a Pro Max iPhone.
IMG_0997.jpeg

Last edited:

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If anyone has an ipad pro they would love to find a new home for, that can run fcp for ipad, I would love to be the forever home, the cost of ipads and ipad pro's in South Africa is simply way beyond my ability to afford... Really keen to try fcp for ipad.. please??
Someone need to help this gentleman achieving his dream.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I admit I want both. I have a Mac Studio and older iPad Pro 12. I would love to get a newer 11” iPad Pro strictly for my art/photo work and a MBP. I had a 2015 MBP 15” that served me extremely well. I will most likely get the iPad before the MBP due to both financial reasons and hoping some small complaints are addressed by Apple. The latter, as most know, takes forever or not at all.

Btw, this post is by way of iPad using the Apple Magic Keyboard.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I admit I want both...Btw, this post is by way of iPad using the Apple Magic Keyboard.
Almost all of my non working, retired friends currently use only 1 or 2 personal devices, a phone and a tablet. Few ever use either a desktop or laptop. Same goes for all my grandkids, ages 7-21... they (the kids) also all have a gamebox though. Not sure that means anything other than everyone's requirements are different :)

Tom

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Almost all of my non working, retired friends currently use only 1 or 2 personal devices, a phone and a tablet. Few ever use either a desktop or laptop. Same goes for all my grandkids, ages 7-21... they (the kids) also all have a gamebox though. Not sure that means anything other than everyone's requirements are different :)

Tom

They are different. I've been retired 10 years now and use an M1 12.9, cellular Mini 6, 14 Pro Max, laptop, desktop, and Kindle Scribe. No inclination to replace one with any of the others.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
They are different. I've been retired 10 years now and use an M1 12.9, cellular Mini 6, 14 Pro Max, laptop, desktop, and Kindle Scribe. No inclination to replace one with any of the others.
I said my retired friends… I’ve been retired 24 years now and use a Samsung S23, iPad Air 5 (5G and Magic Keyboard), iPad Mini 6 (5G), Samsung S8 Ultra Tab, Samsung S9 Tab, HP Dragonfly Pro, HP Z2 G5, Xbox, Kindle Oasis and Paperwhite.

Currently I use either the S8 Ultra Tab or S9 Tab about 90% of the time pretty much replacing everything but the phone, Xbox, and Kindle’s for actual use; everything else I play with occasionally for entertainment to keep current. :)

My friends mostly have older iPads and Nintendo Wii’s. I’m inclined to replace them. 🤣

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: phrehdd

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No, not at all similar in video size.
Try actually comparing these side-by-side and you’ll see that watching video on a Mini 6 is a clearly bigger and more immersive experience than watching on a Pro Max iPhone.
View attachment 2330761
Yeah, was comparing to my mini 5 which has much larger bezels and a 4:3 aspect ratio, forgot that the mini 6 has small bezels and wider ratio

Reactions: prospervic

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I cant get any real work done on a tiny display....I tried going ipad only for portable work and it was not that great for me, at minimum I need a 14-16" laptop for that and the ipad is regulated as a secondary device. I love flipping around the internet kicked back with the ipad or doing some reading or occasional simple game. I can answer emails or whatever with it but I am 100% in windows based software for the design work I do plus I have a home office with a dell precision workstation and 32" monitor so it is my workhorse for anything I need.

Frankly, I could do EVERYTHING with a laptop and have only one device. But I cannot depend on only one device for work related stuff or bill paying those things are just too important to risk a potential break down.

I also wouldnt buy anything less than the pro version ipads with the faster refresh rate displays even though i dont really use the ipad for other than simple tasks, the smooth scrolling is worth the cost imo . I only use an ipad in tablet mode, no keyboards for me.

Reactions: phrehdd

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Odd question to me, trying to imagine a world where I would abandon one device (iPad) to work exclusively with another device type (laptop). Financially constrained? Some misguided vision of saving the planet (you could probably cut waste long term by other means)? Authoritarian dictatorship? In my mind while there is some overlap, the two devices have different uses they are optimized for. Content creation and content consumption.

Even when I travel by plane where light weight is a premium I carry BOTH a laptop (MBA 15) and an iPad Pro. When at a meeting or answering a lot of email, the MBA comes out. If I am just reading, browsing or watching movies the iPad comes out. And on occasion, the iPad doubles as a second screen for the MBA if I really want to put the windows users at the table to shame.

At home it is even worse (for those that think a person only needs one device). At home I have another computer (Mac Studio) for heavy lifting (video and photography hobby), and a second iPad (the iPad mini for reading in bed, the iPad Pro lives in the living room by the couch). And yes, I have the iPhone Pro Max 15, but that screen is great for quick answers off the internet or quick reads of short emails, but too small for protracted reading for me.

And thats my bare minimum set up. Two computers, two iPads, one iPhone Pro Max.

reality its more like three computers (I have a MBP 16 when I want to travel with max computing power) and a third iPad (Pro 12.9) when I want the largest screen experience.

But if I ever find myself in a regime that can dictate to me only one device? Going to have to stick with the laptop running MacOS. Not for the better keyboard (it is) or larger screen (it is), but oddly enough, because of the file management system. I have literally over a 100,000 documents on my computer and sorting through all those with iPadOS would be

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I agree with @G5isAlive - if you can afford it, get devices that serve your needs. I have multiple laptops and desktops for various reasons. My iPad serves its specific purpose because my needs (as I alone see them) dictate what device is best to use...

Then there are regular threads here in the forums of wifi vs cellular iPads which get absurd because everyone overlays their own beliefs and needs on each other.

As George Carlin once said, "Anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac, and anyone who drives slower is a moron." This board is full of that thought process.

R

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.