Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have a PC laptop and the 11 iPad Pro. I use the iPad for most things - probably 90% of the time. Only open up the laptop if I need to get deep in to an excel spreadsheet. Now I am retired so that can definitely make a difference.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes, and that seems to be the issue, ipad pro almost the same as a laptop, a tablet as expensive as a laptop, why not just stick the touchscreen in the laptop, bin the ipad pro range? Hence my confusion, why 2 operating systems for what is eventually almost the same product, ok, one is touchscreen, with inferior/superioer operating system [ipad pro] and the other is a standard laptop without a touchscreen and the same superior/inferior operating system...

When the ipad was released, as a mini, it was perfect size, it was an inbetween product, inbetween phone and laptop/desktop.. Now what is it??

Anyone not happy with their ipad pro, really keen to be the forever home... It will be loved and used daily..

I like my M1 12.9 Pro and my Windows laptop (and desktop) - I don't want MacOS on any of my devices.

Khaetra

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2021
Florida
When my MacBook (circa 2014) goes I won't get another one and will replace it with another iPad. I already have a Mac mini that I do all my photo stuff on and use my iPad for everything else.

Heather1978

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2024
Tennessee
I was thinking of upgrading to a MacBook Air M2 from my iPad Air 2 (2014), which would be a huge jump for me, having never owned any other Apple products, let alone a laptop. 😅 Which I guess is why I'm here, so I'm not completely in the dark, going in.

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
May get an iPad mini ... if new ones are introduced this ... May! Ha!

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I was thinking of upgrading to a MacBook Air M2 from my iPad Air 2 (2014), which would be a huge jump for me, having never owned any other Apple products, let alone a laptop. 😅 Which I guess is why I'm here, so I'm not completely in the dark, going in.
I just bought that machine it’s excellent!!!!

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I had that combo for ages... I had the iMac set up with remote desktop so that when I was out and about with my iPad and needed to do Mac OS-type stuff, I'd remote into the iMac from the iPad. That worked well.

Now the "dynamic duo" is a base M2 Mac Mini and a base 9th gen iPad. This combo with accessories cost about the same as a base Macbook Air (and more flexible).
Still using my MBA 13” 2013, when I need it,use my 5th Gen iPad Pro , 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, + Magic Trackpad, flies, that said my next Apple Product will be a 15.3 M3 iPad Pro, 2TB SSD,+ the most Ram I can get, @74 I am done. ❤️ IOS. Glad to see you back SRacer!

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Still using my MBA 13” 2013, when I need it,use my 5th Gen iPad Pro , 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, + Magic Trackpad, flies, that said my next Apple Product will be a 15.3 M3 iPad Pro, 2TB SSD,+ the most Ram I can get, @74 I am done. ❤️ IOS. Glad to see you back SRacer!
Thanks! As much as I've been avoiding falling deeply into any one ecosystem, I've managed to find a winning formula that allows me to continue on with Apple devices at "bargain" prices.

But the last 6 months I've been working on many projects for the Kindle Scribe which have occupied a lot of my time. 😁

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks! As much as I've been avoiding falling deeply into any one ecosystem, I've managed to find a winning formula that allows me to continue on with Apple devices at "bargain" prices.

But the last 6 months I've been working on many projects for the Kindle Scribe which have occupied a lot of my time. 😁

What are you doing for the Scribe? Been loving mine since I got it.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
For me, definitely iPad.

Mostly because it is easy to carry around. I use it while lazing in bed, sloughing in my recliner or sometimes even at my desk.

My current iPad is a 1TB, 12.9 inch, 6th gen iPad Pro. Absolutely love it.

The iPad is my main computing device, and has been for some years now. Great for content consumption and more recently content creation.

It has so many potential input options, assuming you are willing to buy said accessories.

With recent developments, for certain selected models, it even has a proper output to monitor and some rudimental form of multi tasking.

All in all, perhaps the more versatile device, currently available from Apple.

Having said that, my favourite device is my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Mainly because it functions as a smaller iPad of sorts, which I literally bring everywhere with me. It is such an awesome tiny workhorse, I personally don’t have to bring any other computer when traveling overseas nowadays.

I do have a 1TB, Intel i9, Radeon Pro 5500m, 16” MacBook Pro, which I am probably going to keep for a very long time as I am still attached to windows gaming.

Honestly I hardly ever move it from my desk and can’t really see myself porting in around the apartment anymore. It sits, connected to a dell 30” monitor, which functionality makes it more of a desktop than a laptop.

If all things stay the same, will likely switch to a Mac Studio if and when it breaks down, or when Microsoft completely drops windows 10 support.

Reactions: jwolf6589

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What are you doing for the Scribe? Been loving mine since I got it.
Except for particular scenarios (like split-screen research and notetaking), the Scribe has replaced my iPad and Pencil for the majority of my digital handwritten notetaking, planning, and journaling.

I've been on a bit of a creative wave with a few different digital planners, a digital Rocketbook (for more flexible note connectivity), crossword puzzles and paper-n-pencil games resources, hyperlinked ESV, NKJV, and WEB Bible versions optimized for the Scribe, and a few other more ambitious things in the pipeline. I've been on the kindlescribe subreddit where I make these things freely available and discuss getting the most out of the Scribe.

As for using a kindle vs. an iPad mini for ereading, there's more to the benefits of using e-ink than "reading in bright sunlight" (which is something I never do). The matte screen eliminates glare. I'm a big fan of matte screen protectors and have them on all of my iPads, but even the best protectors aren't as good as a matte screen. If Apple were to produce an iPad with a matte option, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Because of my work and my ministry, I regularly spend 12+ hours a day behind a computer screen or backlit tablet. Being able to read (and write) on a non-backlit screen during those times is a welcomed change. It's not for everybody, but for those it IS for, there's no substitute.

I still use my iPad for reading color material like magazines, comics, and vintage catalogs.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Except for particular scenarios (like split-screen research and notetaking), the Scribe has replaced my iPad and Pencil for the majority of my digital handwritten notetaking, planning, and journaling.

I've been on a bit of a creative wave with a few different digital planners, a digital Rocketbook (for more flexible note connectivity), crossword puzzles and paper-n-pencil games resources, hyperlinked ESV, NKJV, and WEB Bible versions optimized for the Scribe, and a few other more ambitious things in the pipeline. I've been on the kindlescribe subreddit where I make these things freely available and discuss getting the most out of the Scribe.

As for using a kindle vs. an iPad mini for ereading, there's more to the benefits of using e-ink than "reading in bright sunlight" (which is something I never do). The matte screen eliminates glare. I'm a big fan of matte screen protectors and have them on all of my iPads, but even the best protectors aren't as good as a matte screen. If Apple were to produce an iPad with a matte option, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Because of my work and my ministry, I regularly spend 12+ hours a day behind a computer screen or backlit tablet. Being able to read (and write) on a non-backlit screen during those times is a welcomed change. It's not for everybody, but for those it IS for, there's no substitute.

I still use my iPad for reading color material like magazines, comics, and vintage catalogs.
Good... I have about 500 apple books (all theology) on my Mini 6. I could never go Kindle because of my massive apple books collection. I don't read in the direct sun so no problem for me. Kindle in the old days used to have great battery life so not sure if these color units are the same.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I'm selling my iPad Pro M1 11 inches after getting a great deal. I wasn't really thinking of selling it, since I'm extremely happy with it with the MK alongside.

But with the money I'll get back I'm now thinking which route to go next: new iPad Pro 11 or 12.9 with M3 or a MBA M2/M3. I have an iMac as my main medicine, but sometimes I want a more desktop OS experience, although when I'm in the couch a touch screen is the best experience.

Curious to hear what others are planning to do after their current iPad expires (whether selling it and upgrade or it breaks).
I am still using my 2021. 12.9 iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard, and the Apple Pencil and I absolutely love it. It has not hiccup at all but I definitely feel that the next iPad Pro will be my upgrade but you never know the 2022 model was not a big upgrade for me. We shall see.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I always end up selling MacBooks and sticking with the iPad. Work issue me with a laptop, I assume this is the case for a lot of people so a full desktop OS just isn’t needed for me.

I love the fact I can use my iPad as a tablet, then in portrait like an ebook and finally attached to the keyboard like a laptop. It’s so versatile.

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I always end up selling MacBooks and sticking with the iPad. Work issue me with a laptop, I assume this is the case for a lot of people so a full desktop OS just isn’t needed for me.

I love the fact I can use my iPad as a tablet, then in portrait like an ebook and finally attached to the keyboard like a laptop. It’s so versatile.
I do have a work laptop but it's windows and I don't want to put my personal information on there.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I also have a Windows work laptop, but I get along with MacOS much better. Windows is nicer these days, but Windows laptops are still terrible with the trackpad, and that makes the whole experience worst than with MacOS.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I also have a Windows work laptop, but I get along with MacOS much better. Windows is nicer these days, but Windows laptops are still terrible with the trackpad, and that makes the whole experience worst than with MacOS.
They also can't seem to get away from the command line which was called MSDOS for decades. Do you still need to boot into BIOS to change settings on PC's?

My first expedience with Windows was a major crash summer of 1989. I used Windows 3.11 my first year in College before 95 came along. I owned Windows CE palmtops which was a reduced version of Windows 9.x. They are allot better these days than they used to be, but still not as good as the Mac.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I have an M1 MacBook Pro and a 2018 12.9" iPad pro, and I use both extensively. My iPad is showing signs of wear. When it comes time to replace it, I'll need another 12.9" iPad. I hope by that time there is a 12.9" iPad Air, as I only need the larger screen; I don't need the other expensive features the pro iPads offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.