Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm selling my iPad Pro M1 11 inches after getting a great deal. I wasn't really thinking of selling it, since I'm extremely happy with it with the MK alongside.

But with the money I'll get back I'm now thinking which route to go next: new iPad Pro 11 or 12.9 with M3 or a MBA M2/M3. I have an iMac as my main medicine, but sometimes I want a more desktop OS experience, although when I'm in the couch a touch screen is the best experience.

Curious to hear what others are planning to do after their current iPad expires (whether selling it and upgrade or it breaks).

I've really embraced the iPad recently. I essentially can dock my iPhone when I'm at home and just use the iPad.

I'd probably get the 11" OLED iPad Pro. I just think that's the ideal iPad size as I like to walk around my house and use my iPad. Would eventually replace the 13" MBP with a 13" MBA when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: bondr006

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Still cannot understand why ipads and ipad pro's are so expensive, for what they are, Ipad Pro M2, the cheapest most basic is R19 200, that is just insane here in South Africa, why are ipads so expensive? The same model, 11 inch M2 Pro, 128GB storage, standard, wifi only, $799, here in South Africa it is $1100...$300 more expensive..

I cannot understand why it would be so much more expensive, so keeping devices for longer, we cannot replace every year, that is just impossible, loved the mini 2 I had, and when apps stopped updating, it really hurt, as it was so useful.. So frustrating that it is impossible to replace a silly tablet with a newer version, not like it is a computer, with keyboard, ports, etc..

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Still cannot understand why ipads and ipad pro's are so expensive, for what they are, Ipad Pro M2, the cheapest most basic is R19 200, that is just insane here in South Africa, why are ipads so expensive? The same model, 11 inch M2 Pro, 128GB storage, standard, wifi only, $799, here in South Africa it is $1100...$300 more expensive..

Part of that is probably your VAT (15%). US prices don’t include sales tax. If you apply 15% VAT, that makes the base iPad Pro 11” $920. It’s possible that your government may also collect other import duties/taxes. Another factor is Apple hedging against foreign exchange risk.

I cannot understand why it would be so much more expensive, so keeping devices for longer, we cannot replace every year, that is just impossible, loved the mini 2 I had, and when apps stopped updating, it really hurt, as it was so useful.. So frustrating that it is impossible to replace a silly tablet with a newer version, not like it is a computer, with keyboard, ports, etc..

Even in the US, most people don’t replace their devices yearly. There’s usually not enough improvements upgrading from year to year.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

That iPad is actually around $850 when you include average US sales tax of 6%. As Rui mentioned your prices might also be padded to accommodate fluctuations in the exchange rate and other duties like the import 15% tariff; Apple being an American company doesn’t have to pay any import duties in the US. It sucks when you’re on the receiving end of such things; Australia and New Zealand have it pretty bad as well.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I would really love a new ipad, something that runs fcp for ipad, but at the rate the local currency is heading, and the rising costs of everything, food, transport, rent, saving or paying for it on terms, is just nigh impossible, surely Apple could $1.50 hotdog the ipad pro, try selling it for $299, with a decent size storage, not 64GB SSD, come on that is just juvenile... Take a bath on the ipad pro, and flog the hell out of iphones...

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I would really love a new ipad, something that runs fcp for ipad, but at the rate the local currency is heading, and the rising costs of everything, food, transport, rent, saving or paying for it on terms, is just nigh impossible, surely Apple could $1.50 hotdog the ipad pro, try selling it for $299, with a decent size storage, not 64GB SSD, come on that is just juvenile... Take a bath on the ipad pro, and flog the hell out of iphones...

Great. Now I want a hot dog.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I really like the iMac + iPad combo.

The iMac allows me to do everything I need for work plus the flexibility of a large, versatile display and great speakers for media and personal enjoyment. I can work and play in one simple, clean package.

The iPad is the true portable device, allowing me to do ‘just enough’ in terms of productivity so that when I get back to the iMac it’s only a small number of steps/tasks. iPad is also very convenient as a leisurely experience, of course. I can kick back on the couch and web surf or hold the iPad up to a client at work to demonstrate something easily.

I have nothing against MacBooks and think the current lineup is excellent, but really it comes down to weighing up how you’re going to use your devices rather than the cost. Everyone’s work experiences are going to be different enough that no one setup is going to be perfect for everyone, despite what influencers want you to believe on their clickbait videos.

I’m fortunate that I can get away with an iPad for work as I mainly live in MS Office and some reference apps that, conveniently, are cross platform with native Mac apps (ie Complete Anatomy), but it’s not this simple for everyone.

iMac is also excellent value compared to a MacBook + display combo, and there’s no risk of tiring your battery prematurely for having it plugged in long periods.

One caveat with the iPad; get used to typing on the display. I don’t buy into the idea of purchasing a ‘folio’ keyboard (which in the entry iPad’s case is literally a backside case plus a magnetic keyboard, with no front option for front protection other than the thick keyboard…) for half the cost of the device, as that defeats the whole concept of the iPad being slim, light, and more affordable - in this instance just get a MBA!

However I do highly recommend Apple Pencil for writing with. I was able to pick up the new USB-C version for £65 and it’s one of the best Apple purchases I’ve ever made, absolute game changer for making notes with clients whilst holding the iPad in ‘notepad’ fashion.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I loved the ipad mini 2, yes it was expensive, but not stupid expensive, it was just the right size, I used it all the time, note taking, watching media, calendar, invoices, but now at R20 000 it is not possible to even begin to start to save, I simply cannot understand why it should cost this much, why Apple cannot try the "sell more product" for less money.. Maybe they would sell a ton, try.. please?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I probably won't get another one unless they do a big overall of the OS later on, I dont really use it much anymore now that I have a MacBook. I have a M1 Pro 11" so im sure it will still be good for quite a few more years for me anyways.

Reactions: Mainsail

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
For my purposes, the MBA and iPhone (now with larger screens) really put the squeeze on the iPad. I am not knocking the iPad. It's just kind of a niche product for me. If I took lots of notes or was an artist, it might be different. However, my handwriting is terrible, so writing on glass is not very satisfying. At this point, I pretty much only use the iPad on vacation.

If you watch the launch of the 2010 MBA (not to be mistaken with the niche 2008 MBA), which was really the first ultraportable priced for the masses and positioned as an everyday computer, Jobs describes the MBA as the result of a MacBook and iPad "hooking-up". Then, Apple introduced the iPad Pro models with expensive keyboards and other accessories. Now a fully accessorized iPad cost more than an MBA and weighs about the same. There just isn't much air gap between the products. The main differences are the OS, and that's a no brainer for me. YMMV.

Reactions: outlawarth

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
The way I see it, after the change from motorola to intel, the change from the G to the mac range...
Apple had the macbook in plastic, and the aluminium for the pro version, this was a great line up, room for innovation, then a year or 2 later the wedge macbook air, brilliant, 3 products for 3 markets...Perfect...

The ipad was a touchscreen "computer" a brilliant inbetween device, the mini was omg perfect, the only issue some idiot thought putting the "stereo" speakers on the same side was a good idea..

Then Apple went all stupid, started selling a long lineup of confusing products, airs, pros all the same size, the same specs, none of which was post purchase upgradeable.. Then a confusing line up of ipad and ipad pro, that were almost but not quite, replacement macbooks, but ran a different operating system...But then if you add a "pencil" and a keyboard, it is a macbook of some kind, but it is not a macbook, different operating system..

To really make it worse, 12 months+ no new ipads, nothing in 2023, no press release as to why, just radio silence..

The ipad/ipad pro should be extremely affordable, as a way to get into the Apple eco system, $199 for a ipad mini, and $299 for the 12 inch ipad pro, The ipad pro comes with sd card slot, upgrades done through Apple, pay the "apple tax" for upgrades, make it viable, I would have bought many over the yrs and not held onto the ipad mini 2 for 10 yrs, until zero apps are updated and it is locked out of google 100% due to security reasons..

I would buy the base model ipad pro for R2999, and over time save and buy upgrades, at R2999 for the 12 inch ipad with a 256GB SSD, paying for fcp for ipad, makes sense.. But right now, Apple is not making a cent off me..

Paying R2999, and renting, and then investing in features for fcp for ipad, plug in's sold on the app store, of which Apple gets 33% makes sense..

Costco knows that you are not going to Costco solely for the $1,50 hot dog, you are going to buy a lot more, this is call loss leading, shops have figured out that you need to sometimes sell 1 item at a loss, a great hot dog, so that folks buy other items..IKEA and the meatballs, you end up buying floating shelves, bathmats, towels and you only wanted the meatballs..

I would buy an ipad pro today for R2999, I really need the ipad pro, for fcp for ipad... But R20 000, that is just non viable, and for what reason can Apple justify this? Just open the door, selling more items for less profit is a great idea, and I doubt selling $299 ipad pro's are going to bankrupt Apple Inc.. Even selling 12 inch ipad pro with 2TB SSD and 128GB RAM for $399 will make a dent in the big Apple income...

• Haha
Reactions: blairh

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
For me, iPads and MacBooks are complementary products which do not replace each other. So accordingly, I will be buying one of each as the need arises.
Then they should behave as such, right now they are fighting each other, which is the better OS, mac or ipad OS? If you are going to allow the ipad to have keyboards and pencils, then it should run the same OS as Mac, but to have 2 different operating systems, and the same applications running on 2 competing operating systems is not the best solution....

The ipad/ipad pro should be touch only.. The ipad/ipad pro, once you attach the keyboard, it becomes a smaller macbook, you get into the habit of using the ipad with a finger, then you get a bit lazy, a bit tired, or distracted, pick up the macbook air, damn finger prints all over the screen..

• Sad

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I'm selling my iPad Pro M1 11 inches after getting a great deal. I wasn't really thinking of selling it, since I'm extremely happy with it with the MK alongside.

But with the money I'll get back I'm now thinking which route to go next: new iPad Pro 11 or 12.9 with M3 or a MBA M2/M3. I have an iMac as my main medicine, but sometimes I want a more desktop OS experience, although when I'm in the couch a touch screen is the best experience.

Curious to hear what others are planning to do after their current iPad expires (whether selling it and upgrade or it breaks).
Depends on your needs. Both laptop and iPad are useful for me.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Then they should behave as such, right now they are fighting each other, which is the better OS, mac or ipad OS? If you are going to allow the ipad to have keyboards and pencils, then it should run the same OS as Mac, but to have 2 different operating systems, and the same applications running on 2 competing operating systems is not the best solution....

The ipad/ipad pro should be touch only.. The ipad/ipad pro, once you attach the keyboard, it becomes a smaller macbook, you get into the habit of using the ipad with a finger, then you get a bit lazy, a bit tired, or distracted, pick up the macbook air, damn finger prints all over the screen..
I don't agree. Why would I ant MacOS on my iPad? Makes no sense... iPads are much cheaper than MacBooks for a reason.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I don't agree. Why would I ant MacOS on my iPad? Makes no sense... iPads are much cheaper than MacBooks for a reason.
Ipads are not much cheaper at the bottom of both macbook laptops [air and pro] and ipad pro, not here in South Africa, maybe in the USA it is cheaper, but here in South Africa, the ipad and the ipad pro are the same expensive price...

It only really gets stupid expensive for the more powerful laptops example and wow, ipad pro and the macbook pro...insane
ipad pro m2, 2TB SSD:R54 000 [same ipad in the US $2199 or R42 000] R12 000 more expensive...
MacBook Pro 16-inch | Apple M1 Pro | 2TB SSD - Silver : R 59 999

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC

Just because Apple (along with other vendors) sells keyboards for iPad does not mean we have to buy them. These devices are additional options for customers (and additional profits for Apple).

I know many people who use their iPads strictly as tablets (the 12.9 iPad Pro’s large software keyboard makes this quite doable, and if rumors of a forthcoming 12.9 iPad Air are true, also affordable). When used in this way there is no fight between the platforms. Just as there are things that can only be done, or done better on the Mac, the same is true for iPad.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Just because Apple (along with other vendors) sells keyboards for iPad does not mean we have to buy them. These devices are additional options for customers (and additional profits for Apple).

I know many people who use their iPads strictly as tablets (the 12.9 iPad Pro’s large software keyboard makes this quite doable, and if rumors of a forthcoming 12.9 iPad Air are true, also affordable). When used in this way there is no fight between the platforms. Just as there are things that can only be done, or done better on the Mac, the same is true for iPad.
Definitely. Like reading books on my Mini 6.

Reactions: prospervic

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Ipads are not much cheaper at the bottom of both macbook laptops [air and pro] and ipad pro, not here in South Africa, maybe in the USA it is cheaper, but here in South Africa, the ipad and the ipad pro are the same expensive price...

It only really gets stupid expensive for the more powerful laptops example and wow, ipad pro and the macbook pro...insane
ipad pro m2, 2TB SSD:R54 000 [same ipad in the US $2199 or R42 000] R12 000 more expensive...
Comparing iPad Pro to MacBook Pro (equal comparisons) I see a $600 difference.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, and that seems to be the issue, ipad pro almost the same as a laptop, a tablet as expensive as a laptop, why not just stick the touchscreen in the laptop, bin the ipad pro range? Hence my confusion, why 2 operating systems for what is eventually almost the same product, ok, one is touchscreen, with inferior/superioer operating system [ipad pro] and the other is a standard laptop without a touchscreen and the same superior/inferior operating system...

When the ipad was released, as a mini, it was perfect size, it was an inbetween product, inbetween phone and laptop/desktop.. Now what is it??

Anyone not happy with their ipad pro, really keen to be the forever home... It will be loved and used daily..

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon

We get, you live in South Africa and the prices there are really high… that's bummer, but what to do.
You got few options if you really want Apple product - buy used devices, save up, or once you are in holiday in foreign country buy there.

Back to the subject, iPads (Mini 6 for me) and laptops are completely different machines that compliment each other. Each one having its own usage, and as long as i can afford, i’ll have both of them.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
For me, iPads and MacBooks are complementary products which do not replace each other. So accordingly, I will be buying one of each as the need arises.
I totally agree. I even think that iPads were made for 10,2ish usage, meaning, not for keyboard usage. I think that for that, a laptop is way way way better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.