Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleJuiceBox

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I'm just curious to see how people are treating the watch. Personally, I think the watch will definitely be my "most personal device" and I think it will be the most important device I use instead of the iPhone, but I feel like putting it simply on my bedside table is lame

Since it is a wearable device, I'm going to make of the small drawers (actually is a jewelry drawer) in my dresser as my Apple watch drawer were I but the watch to charge every night and were I keep all the bands.

How about you guys? How are you guys treating your device and where are you going to put it at night?

Just re read my post and it's weird I know...I'm just curious lol

Reactions: customgod227

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Tonight is the first :apple:Watch night for me so i'm going to wear to see if Taptic can save me from my constant oversleeping and waking up my partner. If not, probably on the nightstand, with my iPhone relegated to a charging deck elsewhere.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Everyday I charge my iPhone screen and speaker pointing at my bed (Night stand is right above my head.) I snuck the cord around the side of the night stand and then it goes parallel with my phone. Then when I charge the watch I plece the bland completely flat parallel with my phone with the bottom part of the ban laying on top of the charging cable. I don't know if any of this makes sense or not but I hope you can visualize this. And yes there may be a small amount of OCD with how I charge my Apple devices :D

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I've been putting it on my nightstand with my phone ... charging them both. Waiting for a stand to arrive that is set up to hold both the watch and phone ...

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Haha... adding to the total # of devices requiring daily charging :)

Now add MacBook to that list... oh my..

My MBP is already on the charger.

I have never understood why people freak out about charging their devices nightly. I plug them all in before bed... takes less than 30 seconds. I brush and floss my teeth, too, although that takes longer.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto

I have never understood why people freak out about charging their devices nightly. I plug them all in before bed... takes less than 30 seconds. I brush and floss my teeth, too, although that takes longer.

Not freaking out, just crazy noticing having so many things in life that operate on lithium battery.

I would much rather having one perfect device for all my needs.

I remembered how iPhone changed the world by combining multiple devices (phone, camera, MP3 player, PDA) into one, and now we are going the other way again.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Not freaking out, just crazy noticing having so many things in life that operate on lithium battery.

I would much rather having one perfect device for all my needs.

I remembered how iPhone changed the world by combining multiple devices (phone, camera, MP3 player, PDA) into one, and now we are going the other way again.

Not really. Phones are still all that you mention.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto

iPad: oh no, phone screen is too small, need a bigger device
Apple watch: phone is not convenient enough, need a companion device
iPhone: technically now it also includes a good enough camcorder and fitbit and good enough internet connectivity

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007

Agree... the watch is a companion device for the most part. I really think that people are having a hard time seeing this device for what it is. This device may be a failure yet but I love it

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I have a leather charging station (vaguely like these) on my dresser, with four slots. I put my phone, an iPad if needed, and my watch on there to charge. I have another slot for my bluetooth earpiece, but it isn't charging anymore, so there's an empty slot.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
iPhone: technically now it also includes a good enough camcorder and fitbit and good enough internet connectivity

Companion device... your argument that the iPhone replace a bunch of devices is correct. It does not, however, translate over in the manner that you applied it. I see what you are saying... simply that we are adding more devices when the iPhone eliminated so many.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009

Apple is missing out on a gold mine by not selling a charging caddy of some sort. I have wires all around my nightstand. I just had to install a power strip. That's ridiculous.

They could do so much better than this:

https://store.griffintechnology.com/powerdock-5-device-charger

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

You are just buying into hype with those comments. If you really do only want one device that does everything (music, email, texts, notifications, camera, video, fitness and oh yes, phone) then you already have your answer.

I have good reasons for every device I own, and I enjoy them all. If that isn't you, that's ok.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Companion device... your argument that the iPhone replace a bunch of devices is correct. It does not, however, translate over in the manner that you applied it. I see what you are saying... simply that we are adding more devices when the iPhone eliminated so many.

Correct... iPhone was a breakthrough, it eliminated so many devices...

And we are slowly adding them back, in a different way.

Looking forward to the next breakthrough to reliably merge all my computing devices into one, that's not a laptop/desktop/tablet/phone/watch.

----------

You are just buying into hype with those comments. If you really do only want one device that does everything (music, email, texts, notifications, camera, video, fitness and oh yes, phone) then you already have your answer.

I have good reasons for every device I own, and I enjoy them all. If that isn't you, that's ok.

I have them all. see my comments above.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Agree... the watch is a companion device for the most part. I really think that people are having a hard time seeing this device for what it is. This device may be a failure yet but I love it

My watch is definitely a companion device, yet it also replaces and greatly enhances a device that I have used for several years in one incarnation or another: my FitBit. No way could my phone replace the Fitbit... Not nearly as wearable. ;)

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
Between my Mac Mini and Thunderbolt display, I have enough outlets to charge my iPad, phone and now Watch. Ordered the Nomad stand as that is the closest to the Elago stands I have for my iPhone & iPad. The stand will fit just perfect under my display.
I am semi retired so have no reason for an alarm of any type next to my bed. I generally plug in my iDevices while I am working on projects before i go down and this seems to be sufficient time for them to charge before I shut down my computer.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Will you guys put it on your bedside table?

I don't like docking stations. Only because I end up wanting to play with my devices while they're charging. Obviously that's not possible while on a dock of some sorts. You ever wanted to use your phone or iPad,but have to wait for it to charge? It sucks...

I generally have my devices plugged in with a USB extension,so I can use them in bed.

With the AW I now have my iPhone,Apple watch,wireless beats,iPad Air and a PS3 controller plugged in on any given night.

So I cleaned out the top drawer.....added some brown felt....and bought a anker 50W 5 port USB charger. I mounted the anker with double sided tape. I was going to use glue for the felt,but used double sided tape. (By the way I did these same steps on the other nightstand for my soon to be wife...once she moves in it'll be ready)

Now I can charge all of my devices and still use them in bed if I wish. Or simply shut the drawer and you see no messy cords.

32e8778b6b74998e9d453883db2a9874.jpg
6ef458cb4ef0cb59654d5a7eda16b9af.jpg
0bfd72e629795b39721bb598d4457713.jpg

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Haha... adding to the total # of devices requiring daily charging :)

Now add MacBook to that list... oh my..

Well, I usually charge my iPad and iPhone during the day at the office. My Watch charges at night, for now at my working desk at home in my living room, since my bedroom has a dearth of outlets (it's an older building). Once I get a power strip for my bedroom it will move to my nightstand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.