Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
I saw on the internets a way to make a charging holder out of the shipping plastic box. Looked like a good idea so I'm going to make one of those.

----------

I just started doing this and it changed my life. Waking up with the haptic is absolutely awesome. Highly recommend it.

I have my watch on silent so there is no alarm sound, just the haptic.

OMG like the old James Bond movie when it had to take a drug to act like he dies then his watch opens and has a outside haptic type arm to wake him to go save the world.
I'm so glad this works, I've been wanting to see if it did but haven't received the watch yet to test it.

mrboba1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I have a stand for my phone and watch made out of Legos after seeing that idea here on these forums. The band drapes over the top with the charging disk supported and the phone has a leaning type stand right next to it, all built on the same base.

:p

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I just started doing this and it changed my life. Waking up with the haptic is absolutely awesome. Highly recommend it.

I have my watch on silent so there is no alarm sound, just the haptic.

I just tested it now, and I'm not sure it's strong enough to wake me up from a deep sleep. I currently have an alarm for deaf people (I'm not deaf, I just hate being woken up by a blaring alarm sound) which has a vibrating disc I place under my side of the bed. I have no problems waking up with it, but it shakes the whole bed (you can actually hear it vibrating from downstairs). So I'd rather have something that just wakes me up and not my wife since we have different schedules. I'll test it out tonight and see if it wakes me up.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I just tested it now, and I'm not sure it's strong enough to wake me up from a deep sleep. I currently have an alarm for deaf people (I'm not deaf, I just hate being woken up by a blaring alarm sound) which has a vibrating disc I place under my side of the bed. I have no problems waking up with it, but it shakes the whole bed (you can actually hear it vibrating from downstairs). So I'd rather have something that just wakes me up and not my wife since we have different schedules. I'll test it out tonight and see if it wakes me up.

I was skeptical too. I even set a backup alarm on my phone just in case. I've done it everyday this week and had no problem waking up before my backup alarm went off.

4Runner2003

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Cumming, GA
Haha!! I'm sure you can find another drawer to throw that junk into lol.
Seriously though,I like it. I like being able to lay in bed and use my device. Not to mention having 3-4 things charging at one time and seeing no cords :D

Now I'll be awaiting a picture of that clean drawer with your devices plugged in

Thanks again for the idea. The longest part was actually cleaning out the drawer :). I did add a LED USB rechargeable light. It has a motion sensor so when the drawer open, the light comes on for 15 seconds.

https://flic.kr/p/tzHZDQ

https://flic.kr/p/tzJkqq

https://flic.kr/p/tzJjSb

Last edited:
Reactions: jonfarr

ianrip

macrumors 6502

Attachments

• Stand.png
    Stand.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 89

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
We saw a stand at Apple Store today for $100. Two vertical lightning connectores and 2 USB ports. Not bad but better is out there to come.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
It's on my night stand next to my iPhone on its pretty Spigen stand.
I just ordered this stand as well! I was thinking of some other options but for the price and knowing better combo stands will be out soon I decided on this one. I want my watch and phone on my nightstand. I have the link bracelet and it looks excellent on display and not hidden in a drawer. I have a 12 south stand for my iPhone that will go great with the spine. I did not like the look of the 12 south watch stand at all, though.

4Runner2003

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Cumming, GA
Ok,now that's cool!! I love the light!! Do you have a Amazon link for the light?
Haha!! That seems to be the worst part,cleaning the drawer! Lol. Looks very nice though

This is the light I bought. No telling how long it will last, but for only 13 bucks, why not :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T2JLLZ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

You came up with the best idea. The best thing is, no cables hanging out and I can always find my apple things :)

jmh286

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
I got the stand from Griffin Technology. It hides the excess cord very well, and also has a place for my phone to rest. So yes, mine sits on my bedside table each night. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.