Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm just curious to see how people are treating the watch. Personally, I think the watch will definitely be my "most personal device" and I think it will be the most important device I use instead of the iPhone, but I feel like putting it simply on my bedside table is lame

Since it is a wearable device, I'm going to make of the small drawers (actually is a jewelry drawer) in my dresser as my Apple watch drawer were I but the watch to charge every night and were I keep all the bands.

How about you guys? How are you guys treating your device and where are you going to put it at night?

Just re read my post and it's weird I know...I'm just curious lol

Mine goes inside my nightstand drawer. The cat would knock it off, otherwise. :)

mynameisjosh

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Palm Coast, FL
Mine stays on my wrist at night. Same as I did with my Pebble. I'm so used to looking at my watch at various points throughout the night that I would be lost not having it on.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
So far I've been using the case my watch came in because none of the docks I've been looking at are shipping anytime soon. Every night I have a watch, phone and iPad on my nightstand but I usually only charge the watch overnight, occasionally iPhone. I use the alarms on my phone and iPad so it would be nice to have something for all 3, right now I just have everything stacked up because I also have a lamp, alarm clock, kindle and books on there.

Yes, I need 3 alarms every morning.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
At the moment it sits on my bedside table along with my iPads and iPhone. I've bought a spigen charging stand but that won't come for a while. I also bought this little case to tide me over until my stand comes

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131495291322

Hopefully it will show up soon.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm just curious to see how people are treating the watch. Personally, I think the watch will definitely be my "most personal device" and I think it will be the most important device I use instead of the iPhone, but I feel like putting it simply on my bedside table is lame

Since it is a wearable device, I'm going to make of the small drawers (actually is a jewelry drawer) in my dresser as my Apple watch drawer were I but the watch to charge every night and were I keep all the bands.

How about you guys? How are you guys treating your device and where are you going to put it at night?

I've got a TwelveSouth HiRise on my bedside table for my iPhone6, a Lightning lead for my iPad Air and now my Watch charger, that just lays flat with my Watch on it at night (I've also pre ordered a Spigen Watch Stand).

They're all connected to a single mains charger-an Anker 5 port USB device.

The Anker unit is superb and can handle low charge (Watch) to higher capacity charge (iPhone 6 & iPads).

Great to take on holiday too, plus it's got a removable figure of 8 power lead, so easily changeable for overseas mains sockets.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Not freaking out, just crazy noticing having so many things in life that operate on lithium battery.

I would much rather having one perfect device for all my needs.

I remembered how iPhone changed the world by combining multiple devices (phone, camera, MP3 player, PDA) into one, and now we are going the other way again.

I kind of agree with you, but I don't think that the watch was ever meant to be obsolete. It is hard to argue my point of view though when phones went from big bricks to small tic tacs and now back to bigger phones lol. as long as we don't ever have to go back to buying CD's or DVD's I will be ok.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
On the nightstand charging in the bottom half of the SS box until the Kickstarter stand comes.

As was said, don't use docks as I want to use my stuff. iPhone is plugged in, but used when I'm in bed (and I've had a power strip there for many years!).

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
For now it's charging on top of my dresser. I ordered the NuDock from Indiegogo and once it comes in will be on my nightstand.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
The morning alarm is REALLY good and I highly recommend sleeping in the watch, if you have a quiet period of an hour in the evening when it would be convenient to charge it.

I'm charging between 10-11 or 11-12 at night as I'm 99% of the time sat at my computer at those times. It's not missing much movement data and my Do Not Disturb kicks in at 11pm so I wouldn't be getting notifications anyway.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Yes, I need 3 alarms every morning.

Don't feel bad, me too!

I ordered the Pad & Quill stand, but until that arrives I use the bottom of the SS case and C ring overnight, next to my charging iPhone and my Kindle. If I had more than one drawer in my nightstand then I might use a drawer, but for now the top of the nightstand works for me.

4Runner2003

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Cumming, GA
I don't like docking stations. Only because I end up wanting to play with my devices while they're charging. Obviously that's not possible while on a dock of some sorts. You ever wanted to use your phone or iPad,but have to wait for it to charge? It sucks...

I generally have my devices plugged in with a USB extension,so I can use them in bed.

With the AW I now have my iPhone,Apple watch,wireless beats,iPad Air and a PS3 controller plugged in on any given night.

So I cleaned out the top drawer.....added some brown felt....and bought a anker 50W 5 port USB charger. I mounted the anker with double sided tape. I was going to use glue for the felt,but used double sided tape. (By the way I did these same steps on the other nightstand for my soon to be wife...once she moves in it'll be ready)

Now I can charge all of my devices and still use them in bed if I wish. Or simply shut the drawer and you see no messy cords.

ImageImageImage

That is a really good idea. Now I will be cleaning out the drawer that only collects junk and do this :)

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007

Most definitely bedside table (night stand). I'm waiting on my Nomad Stand now. I don't like plugging mine in to charge until I am closing my eyes to sleep, so beside the bed is the best place for it. I sometimes lay in bed and read/look at phone and if I plug it in at my computer, when I'm laying in bed without it, it doesn't seem right. So, I like to leave it on until just before bed when I don't feel like walking to my computer to plug it in.

I don't see why that's lame. I feel like it should go on my wrist as soon as I wake up and stay on it until I am done with the day.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
That is a really good idea. Now I will be cleaning out the drawer that only collects junk and do this :)

Haha!! I'm sure you can find another drawer to throw that junk into lol.
Seriously though,I like it. I like being able to lay in bed and use my device. Not to mention having 3-4 things charging at one time and seeing no cords :D

Now I'll be awaiting a picture of that clean drawer with your devices plugged in

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
The morning alarm is REALLY good and I highly recommend sleeping in the watch, if you have a quiet period of an hour in the evening when it would be convenient to charge it.

I'm charging between 10-11 or 11-12 at night as I'm 99% of the time sat at my computer at those times. It's not missing much movement data and my Do Not Disturb kicks in at 11pm so I wouldn't be getting notifications anyway.

Is the morning alarm sound and vibration or just haptic touch? Because I think that would be an absolutely awesome way to wake up, just through haptic touch (if it's powerful enough to wake me up).

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I remembered how iPhone changed the world by combining multiple devices (phone, camera, MP3 player, PDA) into one, and now we are going the other way again.

Yes and no. The major reason the iPhone was able to offer so much functionality was due to its general-purpose nature as opposed to the devices it replaced. The same holds true for most of what we're now adding again. Except I think we're figuring out that while a lot of functions can be combined into single devices of a certain form factor, there's not the one form factor well suited for offering all possible functionality.

So I would say the transition went somewhat like this:

lots of specialized devices in different form factors, each optimized for its functionality
->
(more or less) a single general-purpose device in a single form factor that is very much a compromise for a lot of the functionality it offers
->
a few general-purpose devices in different form factors where each is optimized for a certain subset of all possible functionality

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
So I cleaned out the top drawer.....added some brown felt....and bought a anker 50W 5 port USB charger. I mounted the anker with double sided tape. I was going to use glue for the felt,but used double sided tape. (By the way I did these same steps on the other nightstand for my soon to be wife...once she moves in it'll be ready)

Now I can charge all of my devices and still use them in bed if I wish. Or simply shut the drawer and you see no messy cords.

Awesome set up!
Congratulations on the upcoming marriage, too!

If I wasn't a potential candidate for the TV show "Hoarders", I would try a cord solution like yours.
I fear my side drawer will never be that free of clutter. Then again, I'm at 18 years of marriage and five kids - maybe your drawer will look more like mine a decade from now. ;)

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Yep, mine is on my bedside table with my iPhone as I have an outlet only about a foot away from my nightstand to keep it plugged in. Not sure where else I would even leave it...kitchen where I have a charger is too open with a lot of windows facing in, office is upstairs and too far away if I needed it for some reason, no place in living room to charge it as my outlets are behind furniture, my jewelry/ other watches are kept in my walk in closet, but no outlets there either.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yes, definitely. I preordered a nice aluminum watch stand from Spigen.

I've got a glass-covered nightstand that will just slip slide the watch off if I don't use the WSB for friction. It also helps to put it on top of my iPad with the leather case. But man this seems like some electronics stacking. I've seen a couple of mentions of that stand, but I'd like to wait on some reviews. $20 doesn't seem bad, but I'm worried about it tipping over without me feeling the weight distribution first.

If anybody has solutions for rigging up a decent charging center for iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and (sometimes) a MacBook Air, I would love to hear about it. I've got four white cables coming from the wall and I have to fiddle around to find the ends to know which is which.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Awesome set up!

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage, too!

If I wasn't a potential candidate for the TV show "Hoarders", I would try a cord solution like yours.

I fear my side drawer will never be that free of clutter. Then again, I'm at 18 years of marriage and five kids - maybe your drawer will look more like mine a decade from now. ;)

good point! I'm guessing once I have kids and a few years under my belt,this picture will be the last memory I have of a clean drawer. Lol!

Congrats on the 18 years of marriage. I hope to one day be in your shoes. And thank you

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Is the morning alarm sound and vibration or just haptic touch? Because I think that would be an absolutely awesome way to wake up, just through haptic touch (if it's powerful enough to wake me up).

I just started doing this and it changed my life. Waking up with the haptic is absolutely awesome. Highly recommend it.

I have my watch on silent so there is no alarm sound, just the haptic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.