Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf I'm re-installing Windows, in your instructions you say VMM to be off, but that will force me to also set Cpuid1Data to same AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== value? Note the 80 byte on Cpuid1Data:
Code:
        'Kernel': {
            'Emulate': {
                'Cpuid1Data': build.unhexlify('00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 00'),
                'Cpuid1Mask': build.unhexlify('00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00')
            },

- validating config.plist...

Kernel->Emulate->Cpuid1Data requires Cpuid1Mask to be active for replaced bits!
CheckKernel returns 1 error!
I need to remove these values from configuration? I the past I always let VMM on.

From your guide:
The sample configuration includes the required setting to protect the Mac Pro from potential damage caused by UEFI Windows.
What is that setting? I think you should mention it into guide so people know, is that ProtectSecureBoot? Thank you. Edit: I did a PR to set this failsafe value to True instead of relying on users to make sure they set it, see #82.

Once I have everything identical to your install specs, I will be able to see if all Windows issues are gone. I never noticed the VMM flag needs to off, for example.

Last edited:

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
So far I noticed the following pattern:
Windows works without issues, until an upgrade occurs. Once the upgrade occurs and I'm asked to reboot, I lose Bluetooth keyboard at OC boot picker and I'm forced to use wired Mac keyboard, in order to select the Windows drive (I cannot set it anymore by default in Big Sur). Then I get the dead Windows logo, forcing me to shut down the Mac while holding the power button.

After two reboots into Big Sur, I go back to Windows disk and this time I'm prompted with an Automatic Repair logo. I get several repair options, but I select the one called "Exit and Login to Windows." The usual upgrade percent happens and I'm able to login into Windows.

What I did today different after upgrade was to download the latest Pulse RX 580 drivers and updated the Microsoft drivers that were installed. I extracted the drivers package and in Device Manager I right clicked on Radeon RX 580 and selected to update drivers, then I pointed the installer to the extracted directory.

I did all this because I did not wanted to have all the bloat added, the drivers install took quite a lot of time, at least 10 minutes, while the screen flickered several times.

Now I need to wait until next upgrade and see if the I still experience this issue.

@cdf or anyone else, what I need your help with is the /Boot/bootx64.efi clarification on Windows drive.

I've noticed this as well - each time there's an update to win 10 I'll have days of booting issues (3x failed boots then automatic repair), until it somehow stabilises and I'm able to use it without much issue. Running 20h2.

I've postponed all windows updates for now, only checking in to see if that's anything pertinent (nb, I think it'll force an update at 35 days without one) Security updates for Windows defender seem unaffected by this so, while not ideal, it's fine for now on my machine.

Reactions: TECK

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
that will force me to also set Cpuid1Data to same AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== value?
I mentioned this here:

I suppose we can invert how we treat Cpuid1Data and Cpuid1Mask...

I think you should mention it into guide so people know, is that ProtectSecureBoot?
Yes. It is set in the sample configuration and has been mentioned a few times in the OC thread already. I've made it more explicit in the guide.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf, just to clarify about the Cpuid1Data and Cpuid1Mask, should I just remove these values leaving the failsafe in place, or set them to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== during Windows install?

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@cdf, just to clarify about the Cpuid1Data and Cpuid1Mask, should I just remove these values leaving the failsafe in place, or set them to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== during Windows install?
You don't need this for Windows. This is only needed for Catalina update.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
@cdf, just to clarify about the Cpuid1Data and Cpuid1Mask, should I just remove these value leaving the failsafe in place, or set them to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== during Windows install?
The problem is that ocvalidate incorrectly assumes that if Cpuid1Data is set to something, then Cpuid1Mask should enable those bits.

To make ocvalidate happy, and still maintain a point of reference for enabling the flag later, you can set Cpuid1Data to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== and Cpuid1Mask to AAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAA==. It's the reverse of how we treated it before.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
To make ocvalidate happy, and still maintain a point of reference for enabling the flag later, you can set Cpuid1Data to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== and Cpuid1Mask to AAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAA==. It's the reverse of how we treated it before.
Got it, but I could also set it to failsafe values and it will have the same effect, right? I presume you're setting these values just for easiness of enabling later the VMM flag. With OC Plistlib Generator removing settings is not an issue, as I can have multiple setup.py files, for various installations.

Nevertheless, I kept things simple:
Code:
            'Emulate': {
                'Cpuid1Data': build.unhexlify('00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00'),
                'Cpuid1Mask': build.unhexlify('00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 00')
            },
I'll flip back the 00 byte to 80, once done with the install.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I used the steps listed below, to install Windows.

I formatted the target disk to exFat volume (GUID scheme) and the USB stick to exFat volume (MBR scheme). Then I copied the mounted ISO to USB disk:
Code:
rsync -r /Volumes/CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9/ /Volumes/Untitled/

I disabled the VMM flag, rebooted into USB disk and formatted the Windows drive to NTFS:

31DE968D-D4DB-4883-8901-46CAED5E0499.jpeg

I installed Windows 10 Pro:

9495C83D-0F2B-4885-9290-35523ABCB336.jpeg

I created the boot files:

19E98883-120A-4C69-BD9C-887C67D13092.jpeg

I exited Windows installer, rebooted into Big Sur, mounted the Windows disk and copied the boot files:
Code:
$ diskutil list /dev/disk0
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 499.9 GB   disk0s2
$ sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1
Volume EFI on /dev/disk0s1 mounted
$ cp -a /Volumes/Untitled/EFI/Microsoft /Volumes/EFI/EFI/
$ ls -lh /Volumes/EFI/EFI
total 9
drwxrwxrwx  1 floren  staff   4.0K 15 Feb 12:42 Boot
drwxrwxrwx  1 floren  staff   512B 15 Feb 12:42 Recovery

As you can see this did not copied the Microsoft directory. Use /Volumes/EFI/EFI/ (note the / at the end, even if you try without a / at end it will not copy the directory), this is the correct way to copy files. I had to manually create the directory and move the files into:
Code:
$ install -d -m 0777 /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft
$ mv -f /Volumes/EFI/EFI/{Boot,Recovery} /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft/
total 1
drwxrwxrwx  1 floren  staff   512B 15 Feb 12:53 Microsoft
$ ls -lh /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft
total 9
drwxrwxrwx  1 floren  staff   4.0K 15 Feb 12:42 Boot
drwxrwxrwx  1 floren  staff   512B 15 Feb 12:42 Recovery

This got me to display the Windows drive into OpenCanopy. OC did not added the Boot directory, next to Microsoft, like I had it before. That is good to know the directory was not needed and can be safely removed. Briefly, the only directory we should have inside EFI is Microsoft:
Code:
total 1
drwxrwxrwx  1 floren  staff   512B 15 Feb 12:53 Microsoft

Next, I selected the Windows disk in OpenCanopy and Windows started the initial preparation steps (Windows logo, black screen), then rebooted. Windows disk was selected by default this time in OpenCanopy, I did not have to select it.

Upon Windows disk selection in OpenCanopy, I was presented with the dreaded frozen Windows logo:

4621D7EC-DABE-4068-9218-68F60FBC09A8.jpeg

Back on Big Sur, I was presented with the warning pop-up, as usual when I deal with a disk issue (even if I restarted Big Sur without conflicts):

8D5EB363-729A-403D-99CD-BF54099DA7A2.jpeg

To fix the Windows frozen screen, I copied again the /Boot directory from USB drive and rebooted back into Windows. I was presented with the recovery options:

D3C8FDCF-DC5A-4776-8531-02D2D58F8E18.jpeg

I pressed Enter and the expected Windows setup started:

B48490CD-7A69-4B7A-AF39-70A198898F69.jpeg

Once the setup completed, I installed the Bluetooth drivers for Apple Magic Mouse 2 and Keyboard with Brigadier (iMacPro1,1 value is used to match the BoardProduct=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 value):
Code:
> brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

In Device Manager > Other devices, I right-clicked on Bluetooth device and updated the driver from following location:

1613418914022.png

To fix the Magic Mouse 2 scrolling, I right-clicked on $WinPEDriver$\AppleWirelessMouse\AppleWirelessMouse.inf and installed the driver.

That gives me a fully functional Windows 10. I will wait until next upgrade and see if I experience the same issues.

Last edited:

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf I completed the step-by-step Windows install, above. I'm going to enable the VMM flag now, let me know if you see anything out of ordinary or any useful information that you might want to add into your guide.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Looks good. Those hidden partitions are the EFI partitions of your disks. Seems like you've finally accepted the occasional frozen logo screen ;)

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Seems like you've finally accepted the occasional frozen logo screen ;)
Not really! :D I think I found how to fix it by copying the /Boot directory from USB drive. Or maybe it was just a coincidence, usually I have to restart many times.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Not really! :D I think I found how to fix it by copying the /Boot directory from USB drive. Or maybe it was just a coincidence, usually I have to restart many times.
I just recently got something similar to a frozen screen but I just left it alone and it booted to Windows.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@startergo I thought so also in the beginning, awhile ago. I remember once I left the frozen screen alone for 10 minutes, no change for me. I will let it alone next time and update the thread here.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
I got frustrated with the frozen logo, guaranteed to happen to me after an update. I'm starting fresh with a NVME install to check if it was something I did when I first installed it.

Cloning failed so I thought I might as well do it.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf I updated Windows 10 today, I'm stuck at frozen Windows logo and Windows is unusable no matter what I do. What can I do to fix the problem on a permanent basis?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
@cdf I updated Windows 10 today, I'm stuck at frozen Windows logo and Windows is unusable no matter what I do. What can I do to fix the problem on a permanent basis?
After three attempts you should get a different screen with the option "Press Enter to try again." It usually works then. Unfortunately, the reason for the freezing remains a mystery.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
After three attempts you should get a different screen with the option "Press Enter to try again." It usually works then. Unfortunately, the reason for the freezing remains a mystery.
That's the bizarre thing about the freezing. I used to make weekly clones of my install, swapping between them when one decided to go onto the freezing loop (multiple automatic repairs and then eventually failing) but then gave up and reinstalled the whole system onto an NVME.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf did we found a fix the for setting the Windows disk as default startup disk in Big Sur? I think this is a bug in Bug Sur, nothing to do with OC, look how the disks look, I get the message Windows disk is selected but Big Sur disk remains selected while the Mojave disk is almost invisible:

1614203068060.png

Last edited:

calmacfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
Placerville CA
I have this exact same issue. I boot Windows 10 natively off my Samsung 860 Evo SSD from the OC Bootpicker but sometimes its just locks up without the spinning progress animation even appearing. Three times and it defaults to repair mode and thankfully the last few times it's resolved itself. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes booting the same drive using Parallels from within OSX Big Sur can help resolve it when it just won't boot natively. I've been booting W10 natively without problems for a while now though. These new problems seemed to have coincided with doing the Big Sur upgrade although the latest OC or Windows updates could be the issue as well. Who knows? Seriously, Who knows?

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
These new problems seemed to have coincided with doing the Big Sur upgrade
I have the frozen logo issue since Catalina and OC 0.5.5 I think? Pretty much since @cdf released his Windows install procedure.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I have the frozen logo issue since Catalina and OC 0.5.5 I think? Pretty much since @cdf released his Windows install procedure.
Please note that the first report of the frozen logo issue predates the installation procedure by 3.5 months:

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf I remember having issues with the frozen screen when I was using the VMware install procedure. Then, I switched to your procedure because I thought if was related maybe to VMware install. I think people just did not realized it was an issue? But ya, it is possible it could be related to a specific behaviour Windows change.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
@cdf I remember having issues with the frozen screen when I was using the VMware install procedure. Then, I switched to your procedure because I thought if was related maybe to VMware install. I think people just did not realized it was an issue? But ya, it is possible it could be related to a specific behaviour Windows change.
After nearly three weeks of smooth operation I've been hit with the freezing bug once again.

Edit: after spending hours faffing about booting between BS, Mojave, and fail Win 10, I remembered I backed up the USB EFI files so I deleted Windows EFI completely and replaced them with the backup.

Boots up fine now after initially complaining.

Edit 2: had the logo freeze again but this time auto startup repair seems to fix it and it's been OK after.

Also have a nagging popup about my hardware changing and needing a restart but I'm not sure if that's due to the EFI files (unlikely) or my GPU as I had been uninstalling the AMD drivers to try the AMD PRO drivers as I've had driver crashing again (before last night's booting issues).

Another note, system restore fails and safe mode fails to boot no matter what I try so I'm going to have to look for another backup solution.

Also, tried parallels last night and that didn't fix it. VMware fusion refuses to load due to the XSAVE requirement (documented elsewhere). Might try Parallels again now that I've fixed the booting..... so expensive though after the trial.

Edit 3: the AMD PRO drivers seem a little odd, but saving some of my undervolt/overclock/fan settings for the vega. I've turned off fast boot and that seems to have fixed it somehow (or maybe the restart did)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.