Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Interesting.

I also have OpenCore on my MacPro5,1 running Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur (10.2.3).

Windows 10 runs very well for me once started, but every now and then when I switch from macOS to Windows in the OpenCore picker during startup I get stuck at that Windows 10 logo with black background and no white spinning circle dots under it. When this happens I force shut down the computer and start it up again and after that Windows 10 boots just fine.

I now also started get that dialog saying ”You restarted your computer because of a problem” every time I boot back into macOS. This started relatively recently – a couple of weeks ago I think. Maybe due to a Bug Sur update from Apple? 🤷‍♂️

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Interesting.

I also have OpenCore on my MacPro5,1 running Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur (10.2.3).

Windows 10 runs very well for me once started, but every now and then when I switch from macOS to Windows in the OpenCore picker during startup I get stuck at that Windows 10 logo with black background and no white spinning circle dots under it. When this happens I force shut down the computer and start it up again and after that Windows 10 boots just fine.

I now also started get that dialog saying ”You restarted your computer because of a problem” every time I boot back into macOS. This started relatively recently – a couple of weeks ago I think. Maybe due to a Bug Sur update from Apple? 🤷‍♂️
I get that message too in BS

• Sad
Reactions: star-affinity

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I get that message too in BS

I see. Did it start pretty recently for you too? I guess just ignore it for now …

I’ve noticed that if I make sure no USB devices are connected when I boot into Windows 10 it boots no problem. I haven’t had a failed boot since I started doing that.
Aha. Good to know. Would be a lot of hassle for me to to that every time though.

KingCornWallis

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2018
United States
I have to add that I feel booting an operating system that can't boot on its own is not worth the trouble. I have tried @dosdude1 latest Catalina and that works fine with OpenCore. If OpenCore were to fail it will boot on its own like Mojave. Just like Catalina, I'd wait for the finale of Big Sur before even making an attempt to use it. Secondly, as stated before, use something else for OpenCore (a USB, sole SSD or HHD). When things go bad you can just pull it, but bear in mind to remove the Windows disk before you reboot and do any fixes (avoiding Rom conflicts).

As for Windows 10...pull all other drives from the computer and install in legacy mode with the DVD. Once you confirm it os functioning correctly (booting on its own) take it out and put other drives back and configure OpenCore. Then add the legacy drive to be converted to UEFI. OpenCore should then see it.

@TECK, you may want to re-install Windows on top to fix any glitches, if any. Or, do a fresh install. I use Winclone for the EFI conversion. It literally takes seconds to do. You'll need a PC to use the drive to convert to UEFI in Windows.

I hope these thoughts were of some use.

A separate drive for OpenCore is a failsafe. Look on eBay for a small 20GB drive. I'm about to get one for myself. I'm also considering one of those micro USB to plug in the rear of the chassis. The Windows problem could be drivers, also. Windows 10 requires the original bootcamp and an iMac bootcamp if using a trackpad 2 and updated bluetooth card.

On a side note...I looked over my Syba card before installation and saw no markings for 0 and 1.
I've been following what you have been saying in particular after seeing some freezing issues after the Install Guide.

My original setup was Windows (installed via the guide) on SSD - SATA I and Mojave + OC on NVMe - PCIe 2. (Full Specs)

I am switching to Windows installed via CD on SSD - SATA I, Mojave on NVMe - PCIe 2, and OC on SSD - ODD 1. Will convert to UEFI via WinClone on my Windows Desktop.

As I have followed the guide, everything from Opencore is already configured and I am not using Bootcamp. However, I was able to install Bluetooth drivers via Snappy Driver Installer and am only missing Thunderbolt Drivers for my flashed Titan Ridge (if drivers are installed and device runs Windows freezes), that won't be in bootcamp anyhow.

1. Are you saying I need bootcamp assistant, or just the bootcamp usbstick drivers...and do I still need them if I have all my drivers?

2. Also, can I just transfer my OC configuration from my Mojave drive to the new SSD in ODD 1, Or would I need to delete some drivers/driver references?

3. You mention configuring OC after installing windows via CD...what all would that entail?

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I now also started get that dialog saying ”You restarted your computer because of a problem” every time I boot back into macOS.
The fix is to shutdown your Mac, then start it normally, the error message will be gone. Restarting the Mac will make persist that message forever, definitely a bug IMO.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
On a side note...I looked over my Syba card before installation and saw no markings for 0 and 1.
Look at the red circle I made, CH0 is circled and you can see CH1 next to second connector.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 10.33.02 AM.png

Reactions: nobullone1964

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
My Mac stability has dropped completely off a cliff when gaming in win10. Either the AMD driver crashes (tried official, official pro, bootcamp drivers red, and bootcamp drivers blue) or the whole system crashes into black screen with fans on full blast.

Stress testing doesn't pick anything up or cause a crash so I'm wondering what else is wrong with it.....

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
My Mac stability has dropped completely off a cliff when gaming in win10. Either the AMD driver crashes (tried official, official pro, bootcamp drivers red, and bootcamp drivers blue) or the whole system crashes into black screen with fans on full blast.

Stress testing doesn't pick anything up or cause a crash so I'm wondering what else is wrong with it.....
Not sure what's going on in your case, but I had stability problems in Windows 10 which gave a sudden freeze or black screen (when gaming) and it didn't get well until I got a replacement for the AMD RX 5700 XT graphics card I have.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Not sure what's going on in your case, but I had stability problems in Windows 10 which gave a sudden freeze or black screen (when gaming) and it didn't get well until I got a replacement for the AMD RX 5700 XT graphics card I have.
I fear that is what's going on with my Vega as I'm getting sudden freeze and black screens.

Maybe I'll try low power BIOS and see what it does.

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
Are you all experiencing problems while using hardware acceleration? Or is there a mixture of the two config files? Basically, I'm wondering if HWA may be the culprit due to AMD drivers and it's software settings conflicting with the OpenCore setting.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Are you all experiencing problems while using hardware acceleration? Or is there a mixture of the two config files? Basically, I'm wondering if HWA may be the culprit due to AMD drivers and it's software settings conflicting with the OpenCore setting.
I've been using Martin Lo's OC files with HWA but i thought that only affected MacOS?

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Might try Parallels again now that I've fixed the booting..... so expensive though after the trial.
I refuse to use Parallels, that is why I bought a separate NVMe. I never liked running an OS inside another OS.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
I refuse to use Parallels, that is why I bought a separate NVMe. I never liked running an OS inside another OS.
Actually buying another NVME to make periodic clones of the system might make more sense now that you've reminded me lol

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
There is something interesting I noticed in Windows 10, once the frozen logo event occurs. After the 3rd reboot, I can access Windows but my Apple Magic Keyboard and Mouse2 are not functional anymore. This occurred twice, so far.

I have to plugin a wired keyboard to login, then remove the non-functional Apple hardware from the list of Bluetooth devices, turn off/on the little green switch on each device, then discover the devices back.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
There is something interesting I noticed in Windows 10, once the frozen logo event occurs. After the 3rd reboot, I can access Windows but my Apple Magic Keyboard and Mouse2 are not functional anymore. This occurred twice, so far.

I have to plugin a wired keyboard to login, then remove the non-functional Apple hardware from the list of Bluetooth devices, turn off/on the little green switch on each device, then discover the devices back.
Hasn't happened to me but I don't have the updated WiFi+BT card, was just using the built in BT2.0 which had really a weak signal, until I bought a USB Bluetooth 5.0 dongle and used that instead.

calmacfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
Placerville CA
Ran into this again today after a few weeks of no issues. It was installing an update in windows and it then refused to restart past the Blue Logo. I went into OSX and the same Windows partition booted no problem in Parallels. I noticed that the CMP was now defaulting to the windows partition on the Opencore bootpicker instead of my OSX drive on reboot so I reaffirmed the startup disk in OSX as the OSX NVME drive. The next time I booted Windows natively it started right up. Not exactly sure what caused the issue or how it resolved itself. I did see some Windows users on another forum discussing a similar issue with Windows 10 having a brain fart and forgetting which drive to boot from during an update so maybe it’s related.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
@calmacfan same thing for me, Windows drive defaults after frozen screen. I have to manually set the macOS drive as default.

calmacfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
Placerville CA
Really went to town on this issue last night. I ended up following the instruction in the Opencore Read Me file regarding mounting the Windows NONAME/EFI partition via Clover Config, renaming the partition and dumping the Opencore Boot and OC folders into the Windows EFI Folder. I followed the instructions but on reboot the Windows Blue Logo screen still got hung up. I reversed all the Windows EFI changes including the NONAME renaming back to how I found it apart from the BOOTX64.EFI file which I left as was, dumped from the original Opencore folder replacing the original windows one. When I restarted to the Opencore bootpicker and rebooted the Windows partition it booted no problem. I’m starting to wonder if the Windows Blue Logo hang up issue is related to a corrupted BOOTX64.EFI file/Opencore issue/conflict. I don’t know much about that EFI file but I’ve rebooted a few times now and it seems to be sticking. I’d yanked all of my Opencore Mac drives earlier as well and just booted with the Windows SSD in the CMP. That booted with Zero problems as well but wanted to take over as the sole OS which caused me some headaches. Any thoughts?

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Really went to town on this issue last night. I ended up following the instruction in the Opencore Read Me file regarding mounting the Windows NONAME/EFI partition via Clover Config, renaming the partition and dumping the Opencore Boot and OC folders into the Windows EFI Folder. I followed the instructions but on reboot the Windows Blue Logo screen still got hung up. I reversed all the Windows EFI changes including the NONAME renaming back to how I found it apart from the BOOTX64.EFI file which I left as was, dumped from the original Opencore folder replacing the original windows one. When I restarted to the Opencore bootpicker and rebooted the Windows partition it booted no problem. I’m starting to wonder if the Windows Blue Logo hang up issue is related to a corrupted BOOTX64.EFI file/Opencore issue/conflict. I don’t know much about that EFI file but I’ve rebooted a few times now and it seems to be sticking. I’d yanked all of my Opencore Mac drives earlier as well and just booted with the Windows SSD in the CMP. That booted with Zero problems as well but wanted to take over as the sole OS which caused me some headaches. Any thoughts?
For what it's worth, when I get a frozen windows boot that isn't repairable via its own auto repair, a refresh of the windows efi boot files (saved from the USB backup during install) usually fixes the boot for me until the next time it brain farts.

I've noticed it'll happen more often after windows updates.

Reactions: calmacfan

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I’m starting to wonder if the Windows Blue Logo hang up issue is related to a corrupted BOOTX64.EFI file/Opencore issue/conflict.
Pretty sure this is not the case, that is because after 3 consecutive reboots, a Windows repair screen show and I can boot find into Windows. I checked the bootx64.efi file and it is unchanged.

D3C8FDCF-DC5A-4776-8531-02D2D58F8E18.jpeg

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
a refresh of the windows efi boot files (saved from the USB backup during install) usually fixes the boot for me until the next time it brain farts.
Reboot 3 times, it will work without changing any files the 4th time.

calmacfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
Placerville CA
My Windows install wouldn’t take my MS Password so Auto Repair/System Recovery was a complete dead end. Eventually it wouldn’t even go to the full recovery menu and just dumped me straight into the Startup Repair path which again wouldn’t engage because Windows refused to take my confirmed MS Password. Frustrating.

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
Ah yeah I know, that's what I usually do, but sometimes it'll loop back to the "freeze+reboot x3 + auto repair" again, and again, and the only fix I found for me was to redo those files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.