Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
That's... embarrassing when my iBook G4 that's 7 years older than it can do 360p YouTube just fine.​
I'm guessing you're using something like ten-four-fox or something? My Linux and browser on the Toshiba is too outdated which is why YouTube craps out. It can handle embedded videos in posts on forums just fine, just not the actual site. I could update Firefox but I hate any build post-quantum which would break the dozens of extensions I can't replace on that system so all it does is forum duty.

Reactions: lepidotós

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Best way would be to find a way to search for and view only embedded YouTube videos. Duckduckgo helps but it can't find everything.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
I'm guessing you're using something like ten-four-fox or something? My Linux and browser on the Toshiba is too outdated which is why YouTube craps out. It can handle embedded videos in posts on forums just fine, just not the actual site. I could update Firefox but I hate any build post-quantum which would break the dozens of extensions I can't replace on that system so all it does is forum duty.

Can’t you update the distro that is still getting updates? And install some thing like XFCE or KDE plasma and just theme it and change the Icons to give you that skeuomorphism look?

Than running distro that is old and not supported and not say the apps will not be updated.

I just look at older KDE4 not sure if it is still going on with updates but it is big on skeuomorphism.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
We are talking two entirely different Linux PCs. The one I use now is an HP that I wiped Windows 10 and put a more recent build of Linux onto, with Cinnamon and a skeuo theme. It works fine. The other is an old Toshiba that hardly ever gets use other than to play DOS games or browse forums.

Either way, I don't believe in updates after iOS 7 and Yosemite happened. I prefer to just enjoy my tech without being nagged or having my cheese moved or my UI flattened. Updates are the first thing I turn off.

Reactions: lepidotós

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
We are talking two entirely different Linux PCs. The one I use now is an HP that I wiped Windows 10 and put a more recent build of Linux onto, with Cinnamon and a skeuo theme. It works fine. The other is an old Toshiba that hardly ever gets use other than to play DOS games or browse forums.

Either way, I don't believe in updates after iOS 7 and Yosemite happened. I prefer to just enjoy my tech without being nagged or having my cheese moved or my UI flattened. Updates are the first thing I turn off.

Just use a LTS release and pick some thing like XFCE or KDE and theme it and change the Icons to skeuomorphism. And only upgrade from one LTS release to the next LTS release.

Where some thing like Gnome or elementary would be harder to do.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Oh I did far more than change the icons. I went as far as changing the apps and window controls and even more. I did it via Cinnamon as KDE refused to install, and XFCE, Fvwm, and icewm all feel too much like Windows 95. KDE in a recent test of a live Ubuntu (the newest release as yet) was about as flat as can be, widgets appeared to be GONE, and the theme engine was missing or moved where I couldn't find it. In VectorLinux 6 you just went to settings-->Appearance-->themes and searched for something like 'vista' or 'snow leopard' and a total theme was there, downloaded and one-click install. No terminal needed. Not so much today.

Screenshot from 2022-02-08 03-18-17.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.