Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
With both chrome, and safari, I'm seeing no more than 150 MB watching Amazon Prime (HD, 1080p)

(the browser instances are on the order of 700 meg for chrome, and 1.3 gig for Safari, but windowserver is comparatively tight.)

what video card do you have?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes Safari. I remember someone mentioned using Chrome seems better for this, but I have abandoned Chrome on Mac for a long time.

Just ran 40min Youtube on Safari. Seems not a "hard" bug in 10.13. I can't reproduce that.

Before
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 13.25.56.jpg

After
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 14.04.07.jpg

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I have been watching this thread since I first commented and I do not see any of what you are talking about. I just started 3 YouTube videos in 3 separate windows and my WindowServer memory usage went down. It started at 120 MB and dropped to 110 MB.

I do not doubt that some of you are experiencing an issue with WindowServer, but, you cannot jump to a simple conclusion that it is one thing or another.

Software is very complicated and effects in one area can have totally unexpected effects in other area’s.

Everyone here has disparate systems when it comes to both hardware and even more so with software.

Obviously I do not have a solution, but try to keep open minded when it comes to trying to pin it on a specific event or cause.

I am not being critical, just trying to help. Keep an open mind and try to find a common thread……..and I do not think that it is streaming video’s, as you seem to be focused on at the moment.

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
No, it's certainly not streaming video alone, but the issue does seem tied to windowing updates itself, which would include playing videos.

If I let things idle, just watching Activity Monitor, it doesn't go up much at all. If I start switching Virtual Desktops, I can accelerate the process. Playing a movie in Plex raises it further. About 3 MB increase every 6-7 seconds.

I've used my laptop all weekend for various things and I'm sitting at 19.13 GB Memory, 18GB Compressed (thus 1.13 'real' Mem). Unrelated, but equally annoying is my kernel_task is 4 GB 'real mem'.

If macOS is going to become a hog, it's high time they released some 32GB MBPs.

dragonware

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Over here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/32319643 someone noticed this might be related to retina display's pixel scaling setting. "default" setting seems to be fine (no memory leak from WindowServer), "more"/higher resolution results in leaking.

I have done a test and confirmed this finding: "default" resolution on my late 2013 rMBP 13'', Safari playing Youtube video for 45 minutes now, stays at 150MB. Yesterday on the "max resolution", it went from 100MB to 1.2GB in about the same period of time.

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Over here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/32319643 someone noticed this might be related to retina display's pixel scaling setting. "default" setting seems to be fine (no memory leak from WindowServer), "more"/higher resolution results in leaking.

I have done a test and confirmed this finding: "default" resolution on my late 2013 rMBP 13'', Safari playing Youtube video for 45 minutes now, stays at 150MB. Yesterday on the "max resolution", it went from 100MB to 1.2GB in about the same period of time.

Anecdotally, I can confirm this. I switched to 'Default' and played a movie (for about two minutes) to no rise in memory. Switched it back to where I had it (between 'Default' and 'More Space'), and in seconds it starts to rise again.

I get that they have the disclaimer "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance", but this is silly.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I'm up to 8 gigs here for the WindowServer in 3 hours of uptime on a 15" Mid 2015 Retina MacBook Pro with Intel Iris Pro integrated graphics running at (the majority of the time) a scaled resolution of 1680x1050.
[doublepost=1506968151][/doublepost]
I get that they have the disclaimer "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance", but this is silly.
As far as I'm aware, the latest MacBook Pros even use a scaled resolution by default.

Reactions: jerwin

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Just out of curiosity for those having this issue, is anyone running the 10.13.1 Public Beta?

I have too many windows open to install it right this sec, but would schedule some time if nobody else has tried; curious if it's something they may already know about.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Just out of curiosity for those having this issue, is anyone running the 10.13.1 Public Beta?

I have too many windows open to install it right this sec, but would schedule some time if nobody else has tried; curious if it's something they may already know about.
Haven't tried it but may do so now as I'm still in the evaluation phase with High Sierra and this certainly won't do. My productive system will remain on Sierra for the time being.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
So far so good. After more than an hour of testing on 10.13.1, the window server process remains comparatively well behaved (at ~160MB of memory used). Either I've yet to trigger the issue I was running into before or Apple might have already fixed it.

Reactions: djcristi and Morgon

dragonware

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
So far so good. After more than an hour of testing on 10.13.1, the window server process remains comparatively well behaved (at ~160MB of memory used). Either I've yet to trigger the issue I was running into before or Apple might have already fixed it.

Is this a retina display and you have selected the "max" resolution?
[doublepost=1506990289][/doublepost]
No, it's certainly not streaming video alone, but the issue does seem tied to windowing updates itself, which would include playing videos.

If I let things idle, just watching Activity Monitor, it doesn't go up much at all. If I start switching Virtual Desktops, I can accelerate the process. Playing a movie in Plex raises it further. About 3 MB increase every 6-7 seconds.

I've used my laptop all weekend for various things and I'm sitting at 19.13 GB Memory, 18GB Compressed (thus 1.13 'real' Mem). Unrelated, but equally annoying is my kernel_task is 4 GB 'real mem'.

If macOS is going to become a hog, it's high time they released some 32GB MBPs.

32GB MBP, that's a good speculation with this bug. Now that's not a bug, but a feature! :)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Is this a retina display and you have selected the "max" resolution?
Yes, a Retina display. Not the maximum resolution but the one in between "Default" and "More Space". Same computer and settings as described in post #37. Running at (pixel doubled)1680x1050 for a good 5 hours now (on the public beta of 10.13.1) and window server RAM usage is hovering around 200MB currently. I can check whether 1920x1200 will make any difference.

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Yes, a Retina display. Not the maximum resolution but the one in between "Default" and "More Space". Same computer and settings as described in post #37. Running at (pixel doubled)1680x1050 for a good 5 hours now (on the public beta of 10.13.1) and window server RAM usage is hovering around 200MB currently. I can check whether 1920x1200 will make any difference.

How is it now that you've had a few more hours? The rise is seemingly slower, but I'm at 261MB RealMem where I was at about 200 after installing 10.13.1. Obviously more time is needed for me to really determine, but since you're ahead of me by a bit, wanted to see what your experience has been.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How is it now that you've had a few more hours? The rise is seemingly slower, but I'm at 261MB RealMem where I was at about 200 after installing 10.13.1. Obviously more time is needed for me to really determine, but since you're ahead of me by a bit, wanted to see what your experience has been.
I had to shut the machine down a few hours later unfortunately, but everything still seemed fine at that point, with window server RAM usage only fluctuating at a low level within a narrow corridor, even at 1920x1200.

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
I am increasingly confident that 10.13.1 at least helps, if not outright fixes things.

The height of my RAM usage was about 280MB, but looking at it now, it's at 173 - therefore, I believe macOS is finally doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Reactions: tkermit

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Since upgrading to High Sierra, I've noted WindowServer has become quite the RAM hog on my 15-inch, Mid-2014 rMBP.

Performance is currently okay, but I'm wondering how high this will go. It's also interesting that I am only using 13 GB RAM, but 4 specifically in Swap (give us 32GB machines already, Apple!). It's been running (with some migrations between home and work, where I have two DisplayPort monitors) for about 2 days, 10 hours according to 'uptime'.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Your memory pressure is in the green. I say do not worry.

Swap can, and will, always be used depending on what software you have. There are a few programs out there that even my 128GB Windows 10 machine has some stuff going to swap. Here is a good explanation. https://serverfault.com/questions/796492/page-faults-with-128gb-ram

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
I can confirm that I am also having this issue after 'fresh installing' from Sierra to High Sierra on a MacBookPro10,1

Console.app constantly keeps reporting this:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.displays.MirrorDisplays): Service only ran for 0 seconds
Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

72rjsO8.jpg

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Console.app constantly keeps reporting this:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.displays.MirrorDisplays): Service only ran for 0 seconds
Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Same thing here, including on 10.13.1. I don't think that's directly related to the window server memory issue though.

Morgon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Your memory pressure is in the green. I say do not worry.

That was only because it was a relatively fresh reboot. I was already 4 GB in swap, which is not good, no matter what memory pressure claims. I normally leave my machine up for weeks at a time with development tools and Chrome tabs running. Not having a process consume 18GB is always a goal to strive for.

workerbee

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Just when I was getting a bit annoyed at my MBPs WindowServer gobbling up ~16GB of RAM and started looking for causes (YT and Plex videos) and hopefully solutions (set retina resolution to non-scaled), here they are, reliably as ever on macrumors.
Well done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.