Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I was about 13 when Valspeak got big. Moon Unit Zappa and Valley Girl and all that. My wife hates it, but I've always thought it was cool. She likes to mock me over it sometimes. :D

I was 8 when that happened.. thankfully I was a bit too young to truly get it, despite the fact that every girl in my class was hooked on Jem and the Holograms.

BL.

Reactions: eyoungren

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
One that annoys me is when people use "ecosystem" in non-ecological contexts (e.g. "the iOS ecosystem"). Another is referring to practically everything as a "device" when there are more specific words available.
Ha, I was going to say device, but I thought there couldn't possibly be anyone else that would understand.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
"Finna." When it first came into parlance, I thought it was a contraction of "finally going to." I then found out it literally just means "gonna." I don't see the point of introducing a new word that means the exact same thing as the word it replaces.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's the first time I've seen that word. It appears, from a glance at the keyboard, that it's a typo of "gonna" (the first two letters transposed one key to the left).

If people are making this typo deliberately then...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
"Finna." When it first came into parlance, I thought it was a contraction of "finally going to." I then found out it literally just means "gonna." I don't see the point of introducing a new word that means the exact same thing as the word it replaces.

I'll piggy back on that one, because while I have heard "finna", the one that also gets me is "gon'". Made famous by a song I believe is from Mary J. Blige, called "Not Gon' Cry". I get slang, but when you have a mother who has a Bachelor's degree in English, you are learning proper English.. and that ain't it. ;):p

Yes, I know what I did there.

BL.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
One that annoys me is when people use "ecosystem" in non-ecological contexts (e.g. "the iOS ecosystem"). Another is referring to practically everything as a "device" when there are more specific words available.

Ah, yes, that one sort of annoys me too because it's so overused. Also, people overusing the word "algorithm".

EDIT: Just thought of another that makes me cringe for sure: "hella" (e.g. "I was hella tired after my trip.")

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Uhhhhhhh…guilty.

Robotech Macross was my first animated Japanese television show in the form of a soap opera on American television in 1985. I would have been 14.
You were young and didn't know better.;)

I got hook because of Star Blazers, bad dubbing and all. It wasn't until 20 years later when I got to watch the original Space Battleship Yamato that I realise how bad voice acting was in the Americanized version.

The US version of Sailor Moon is atrocious too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I got hook because of Star Blazers, bad dubbing and all. It wasn't until 20 years later when I got to watch the original Space Battleship Yamato that I realise how bad voice acting was in the Americanized version.

For me it was Voltron in 1984.

Form blazing sword! 😭

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
When I was in high school it really bothered me when people called other people dawg. Just bothered me.

Today, when people say like too much it bugs me and is something I notice.

Lately, “I mean, ….” in front of a sentence bugs me and I’m seeing more and more of it. Not really sure why. Lol.

Should note: I am not one of those people who does anything about this. Meaning if someone were to call me dawg, I wouldn’t say anything (it has happened, recently, lol) - or use like, or “I mean…”. :p

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Lately, “I mean, ….” in front of a sentence bugs me and I’m seeing more and more of it. Not really sure why. Lol.

I'm guilty of overusing that introductory phrase. I'm not opposed to it, but sometimes I proofread my comments and see I've used it twice within just a few sentences, so I edit at least one out.

Should note: I am not one of those people who does anything about this. Meaning if someone were to call me dawg, I wouldn’t say anything (it has happened, recently, lol) - or use like, or “I mean…”. :p

Same here. I'm non-confrontational about things like that. Now, I will correct people who want to automatically shorten my name after I've introduced myself with my full name (which is what I go by). I do have a hangup about that.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Uhhhhhhh…guilty.

Robotech Macross was my first animated Japanese television show in the form of a soap opera on American television in 1985. I would have been 14.

That's what we were told it was called as well back in 1984! Japanimation!

Sailor Moon Crystal is a better version. It's from a couple of years ago, but updated, true to the translation, and much much better animation. I never got into Sailor Moon (US, Japanese, or otherwise) when it first came out, but Sailor Moon Crystal is good.

The one that had you scratching your heads was CardCaptors. because of the LGBTQ connotations, the US version had less than half the episodes of the Japanese versions, and had to change so much around.

For me it was Voltron in 1984.

Form blazing sword! 😭

Consider yourself lucky. We didn't get Robotech, Voltron, or Tranzor Z in the northern midwest US market, so our introduction to Japanimation was Mighty Orbots.

Back on topic: Another one that really irks me is using "awesome" for the slightest good thing. Awesome is full of being in awe. IF two people in business have two separate projects, and one gets completed, and the other person says "awesome!", I'm not really in awe of a project being completed. I'm thinking "on to the next thing".

That brings me to another thing: Business Speak. All of the corporate buzzwords used really irk me, because people use them to sound savvy in the business world, when some have no idea what they are talking about.

BL.

Reactions: eyoungren

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany
The American mis-pronunciation of niche, and its inevitable spread to other speakers of English. I don't know if this really did originate in America but it sounds like the kind of thing they would do so I'm sticking to it ;-)

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
*googles "conniption"*

People who say "conniption fits" instead of just conniption or a conniption 😁

This is similar to RAS syndrome phrases such as PIN number. It's getting better, but a lot of people I know still say that.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Consider yourself lucky. We didn't get Robotech, Voltron, or Tranzor Z in the northern midwest US market, so our introduction to Japanimation was Mighty Orbots.
I have yet to see that, but I think just about anything, even He-Man, She-Ra or Johnny Quest is preferable to Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors!

I didn't count G-Force (Ninja Team Gatchaman) though because I was way too young to get it. I was around 7 or 8 when that came out and some days faked sick for school so I could stay home and watch it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok, I admit I’m older and getting a little more grouchy as the years pass, but I’m starting to dislike “shorthand” in text messages.

“Ok, c u l8tr” instead of “Ok, see you later”.

If I’m not worth a couple extra seconds, then just don’t text me.
I was running a BBS from 1986 to 1992 and that shorthand was there then. I was 19-20 in 1990 and had 14-15 year old users at the time. Had to have 'BRB' and 'AFK' explained to me. So, this stuff just migrated to texting.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The American mis-pronunciation of niche, and its inevitable spread to other speakers of English. I don't know if this really did originate in America but it sounds like the kind of thing they would do so I'm sticking to it ;-)

I have always pronounced it as "Neesh". Is that correct?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
More phrases/errors/traits that rile me:
1) It's Lit. When being used to describe anything that isn't a flame or fire of some sort.
2) Native English speakers who suddenly don't understand the difference between 'then' and 'than', but don't otherwise appear to be dyslexic. This is 100% a 21st century thing.
3) I was / I am about to be gifted a [insert noun].
4) Today I brought a [insert noun], meaning purchased, not past-tense of bring. See 2). Again, seems to be 100% a 21st century thing.
5) Reached out / engaged with, used in the context of contacting someone to request some response or buy-in. I reached out to / engaged with Steve in Finance to request a copy of the YTD cashflow.
5) Not a phrase as such, but people who end every single sentence with an upper inflection? Like everything they say is a bloody question? Very common in SE England 'home counties' when someone from there is trying to explain something to you. It sounds belittling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.