Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Ok, I admit I’m older and getting a little more grouchy as the years pass, but I’m starting to dislike “shorthand” in text messages.

“Ok, c u l8tr” instead of “Ok, see you later”.

If I’m not worth a couple extra seconds, then just don’t text me.

From that Weird Al video:

You should never write words using numbers.. unless you're 7 (years old), or your name is Prince.

BL.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
A personal observation is that upspeak might only be annoying to older native-speakers of American English.
As an older native-speaker of American English... I can't refute that. But, to be fair*, lots of things annoy us. We get over it.

* "To be fair" was brought up elsewhere in this thread. I used to dislike it, then I watched Letterkenny. Now I find myself using it.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
As an older native-speaker of American English... I can't refute that. But, to be fair*, lots of things annoy us. We get over it.

* "To be fair" was brought up elsewhere in this thread. I used to dislike it, then I watched Letterkenny. Now I find myself using it.
To be fair is, to be fair, fine if it makes sense.

It is when used just as a spacer, like an umm or err.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I’ve read through this thread, and other than the standard mixup of “their” and “there”, most of this doesn’t annoy me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can see “buddy” being used condescendingly, but from someone I know (but am not friends with), such as a co-worker, I take it as it was meant to be taken: as a friendly greeting. Nothing more. ;)

“Kiddos” doesn’t bother me, but I prefer “kids”. It’s meant in the same way. Neither is technically correct, anyway. Sometimes, when I come home from work and greet my 4 and 7 year old kiddos and my 2 puppies, I’ll say “Hello, puppies, and human puppies!”

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My old Best Buy CC is with Citi.

For some reason that only they can explain, instead of Signing In/Out, you Sign On and Sign Off.

It is a website, not a walkie-talkie. Not sure why it annoys me, but it does.
We use on/off at work (although "log" on/off, rather than "sign" on/off), and I've never even considered that they could be "wrong".

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
To be fair is, to be fair, fine if it makes sense.

It is when used just as a spacer, like an umm or err.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen it used that way. I've only seen it used when someone's bringing up a point that may go against either their argument or the argument of the person whom they're responding to . . . or to give "credit where credit is due" when they're criticizing somebody.

Reactions: polyphenol

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Ok, I admit I’m older and getting a little more grouchy as the years pass, but I’m starting to dislike “shorthand” in text messages.

“Ok, c u l8tr” instead of “Ok, see you later”.

If I’m not worth a couple extra seconds, then just don’t text me.
A friend of mine absolutely despises when I send "y" for yes and "n" for no. Which means he gets a lot of y's and n's. :)

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I honestly don't think I've ever seen it used that way. I've only seen it used when someone's bringing up a point that may go against either their argument or the argument of the person whom they're responding to . . . or to give "credit where credit is due" when they're criticizing somebody.
Not sure I have ever seen it, as in written text.

But it has become quite prevalent in things like vox pop interviews and some chat.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
"Can we talk about X" as a lead in for "I'm about to try and be profound on this topic but will probably fail miserably".

"Lets unpack this" or "let me unpack this for you", great, pick up the "box" and get the F away from me.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I honestly don't think I've ever seen it used that way…
I have. It's an alternative to 'honestly' as the person is groping for the words to give you the blunt opinion you aren't going to like or want to hear. OR - in the same way by people groping for words because they are trying to defend a position or opinion that really isn't defensible.

Goes something like this: 'Well……(searching for words)…to be fair…(actual words).' Usually delivered in a very uncertain tone, the uncertainty being how you're going to receive what they are going to say, or uncertainty because they really aren't sure about the validity of their argument.

Reactions: polyphenol

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
(Insert something) has entered the chat.

^ This irks me to no end. Can’t you figure something out, like Lockheed Martin is interested in doing business with Santa? (Saw a comment in the Santa article that had “Lockheed Martin has entered the chat”)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Finally remember the word choices that bug me as of late.

Loose and choose, when what is meant is actually 'lose' and 'chose'.

And the one that really does me in is 'costumer' instead of customer.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Lots of words and phrases bug me at this time of year.
Merry Christmas being number one on that list.
My wife and I (very busy with work this year) left most of our shopping till the last week before the holidays and wow… I realize why I never did that before. We ordered most of our stuff for in store pickup and WOW. Marshalls had a line that wrapped AROUND the entire store. Meanwhile the PA system was singing: “This is the most wonderful time of the year!” - while people were screaming at each other, yelling at the staff, in a horrible mood, most with a few tiny little items in their carts. Lol. We got in/out in about 3 mins (in store pickup) but I’ve never seen a line that long in my life (not even on Black Friday). Felt pretty bad for the staff.

Out of genuine curiosity - very curious why Merry Christmas being the #1 thing on your list that bugs you. If you don’t mind explaining, I’d love to hear (because of curiosity sake, no other reason). If you’d rather not explain, 100% cool. Your statement reminded me of what I experienced just a few days ago (above). Lol. I imagine the in store staff hated Christmas Music.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wife and I (very busy with work this year) left most of our shopping till the last week before the holidays and wow… I realize why I never did that before. We ordered most of our stuff for in store pickup and WOW. Marshalls had a line that wrapped AROUND the entire store. Meanwhile the PA system was singing: “This is the most wonderful time of the year!” - while people were screaming at each other, yelling at the staff, in a horrible mood, most with a few tiny little items in their carts. Lol. We got in/out in about 3 mins (in store pickup) but I’ve never seen a line that long in my life (not even on Black Friday). Felt pretty bad for the staff.

Out of genuine curiosity - very curious why Merry Christmas being the #1 thing on your list that bugs you. If you don’t mind explaining, I’d love to hear (because of curiosity sake, no other reason). If you’d rather not explain, 100% cool. Your statement reminded me of what I experienced just a few days ago (above). Lol. I imagine the in store staff hated Christmas Music.
We lost our daughter 7 Christmas’s ago. So I no longer celebrate it, acknowledge it or partake in it in any way. It’s just another day.
But I never enjoyed the commercial side of Christmas. At least I don’t have such stressful shopping trips to worry about. All my Christmas shopping is done for my entire lifetime.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Overused/misused words in MacRumors articles:
Drop​
Seed​
form factor​
price point​
deep dive​
hands-on​
appears to be​
probably​
suggests​
indicates​
likely due to​

Miscellaneous words:

physicality - the more syllables <> sophistication​
it is what it is​
at the end of the day​
living the dream​
synergy​
Paradigm shift​
Literally​
American people…​
Settled science​
Covid​
supply chain​
systemic​
All options are on the table​
I’m not gonna lie to you…​
Not a joke…​
I’m serious…​
Here’s the deal…​
Tribal​

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
We lost our daughter 7 Christmas’s ago. So I no longer celebrate it, acknowledge it or partake in it in any way. It’s just another day.
But I never enjoyed the commercial side of Christmas. At least I don’t have such stressful shopping trips to worry about. All my Christmas shopping is done for my entire lifetime.

I am very sorry to hear that. That kind of loss would be devastating on any calendar day let alone one so tied to celebrations and that has an extended 30 day build up. Thanks to @BigMcGuire for asking, admittedly I made assumptions about your first post and am rightly embarrassed that I didn't consider other circumstances.

Here's hoping you and yours have a peaceful day.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I am very sorry to hear that. That kind of loss would be devastating on any calendar day let alone one so tied to celebrations

One thing my wife asked me while we were dating was if I was going to propose, that I not do it on any holiday. In case something went sideways, she would not want that memory at a holiday.

Sadly sometimes life intervenes and does bad things around holidays anyway.

Thinking of you @Apple fanboy & Mrs. AFB and hoping this seasons gets past you as quickly as possible. Hope she feels better soon as well.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
"guest" instead of "customer".....ok, a hotel can get away with it, but not retail stores

"dropped" instead of "released"...."dropped" used to mean something was discontinued and no longer available

"kids" bother me....those noisy selfish little creatures, not the word

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Merry Christmas
Met a number of people who object to that. Mostly on the basis that "merry" means drunk. However etymologically questionable that claim!

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Met a number of people who object to that. Mostly on the basis that "merry" means drunk. However etymologically questionable that claim!

Sober Christmas! 😉

Just thought of another word that makes me cringe: "delish" (for "delicious") . . . . ughhh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.