Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
midwit - a definition.
we are besieged by midwits in today's society.
i.e. politicians of all ilks who think they know what’s best for the rest of us when, in fact, the opposite is true.
midwits …
And, unfortunately, also, techbros of all ilks who also seem to suffer (sorry, @rm5), from a similar delusion.

And, unlike politicians, (who can, after all, be dismissed by the electorate), some of these rather delusional techbros are accountable to nobody other than themselves, yet some of them wield enormous power and considerable influence, which unfortunately, is not confined to their actual area of expertise.

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
When I was a trainer (CAD), I would never ask my students: "Do you understand?"
Instead, I would ask: "Was I clear enough?"
Subtle, but well meant.
I would say that "Do you understand?" is way too open for interpretation and incomplete and therefore should never be used in any context. Understand what? The importance of understanding?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
And, unfortunately, also, techbros of all ilks who also seem to suffer (sorry, @rm5), from a similar delusion.

And, unlike politicians, (who can, after all, be dismissed by the electorate), some of these rather delusional techbros are accountable to nobody other than themselves, yet some of them wield enormous power and considerable influence, which unfortunately, is not confined to their actual area of expertise.
While working as a software developer for an aerospace company, the president of the company asked me to give him access to file maintenance. I said "No. If you have need of information, we can run a report or I can create a program that you can use to check information." and he replied "I'm the president of the company." and I replied "We need to have a strict path to changes and if someone who isn't authorized is making changes, we can't find the problem. The answer is no."

J.A.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2023
I AM NOT SUFFERING.
I am.

But not so much from my disabilities, but rather how I'm treated for having disabilities. Right now, I have a hostile GP and have no choice but to continue seeing him for 'care'. I have no social life because I had no choice but to move to an underprivileged area because I couldn't afford to live elsewhere. I have no means to develop beyond or escape this situation because my disabilities mean I can't access the same opportunities as 'normal' people and yet get punished for not being capable enough to access those opportunities. It's a vicious feedback loop.

It always stuns me when 'normal' people rage against accommodations for disabled people for numerous reasons, but the one that bothers me the most is that the entire ****ing world is an intrinsic support mechanism for them. Disabled people are just asking for a miniscule fraction of support that will enable them to live a non-miserable existence, and yet are made to feel like being treated as 'special' for any accommodations gained. Yeah... we're not special. It's everyone else who is getting all the special treatment. Take away all the inbuilt support structures for them and see how ****ing well they do.

Anyway, whatever, words matter. Use them wisely.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I am.

But not so much from my disabilities, but rather how I'm treated for having disabilities. Right now, I have a hostile GP and have no choice but to continue seeing him for 'care'. I have no social life because I had no choice but to move to an underprivileged area because I couldn't afford to live elsewhere. I have no means to develop beyond or escape this situation because my disabilities mean I can't access the same opportunities as 'normal' people and yet get punished for not being capable enough to access those opportunities. It's a vicious feedback loop.

It always stuns me when 'normal' people rage against accommodations for disabled people for numerous reasons, but the one that bothers me the most is that the entire ****ing world is an intrinsic support mechanism for them. Disabled people are just asking for a miniscule fraction of support that will enable them to live a non-miserable existence, and yet are made to feel like being treated as 'special' for any accommodations gained. Yeah... we're not special. It's everyone else who is getting all the special treatment. Take away all the inbuilt support structures for them and see how ****ing well they do.

Anyway, whatever, words matter. Use them wisely.
I had a high-function autistic woman who was buying some items on her own and she didn't have enough money. I treated her the way I'd treat anyone else. I marked down one of the ice cream tubs, so we wouldn't have to throw out three of them. Then, she still came up a couple of dollars short, and I just paid.

The next day, her parents brought her into the store to complain. My (bad) boss said to me that I told her that the young woman looked homeless, and that I would pay. I would never say something like that. I could see that she was trying to explore her independence and treated her as such.

I always treat people the way I want to be treated. Why can't it be this way with everyone?

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 08.12.34.png

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
My (bad) boss said to me that I told her that the young woman looked homeless, and that I would pay. I would never say something like that. I could see that she was trying to explore her independence and treated her as such.

I always treat people the way I want to be treated. Why can't it be this way with everyone?
Oh what the hell?! Yes, that is precisely what was happening - she was, as you put it, "exploring her independence."

Apparently some (older) people still don't know how to treat people with respect though. Y'know what? I can kind of give all those people who bullied me in school a break, because they were still young. I can understand that. However, I simply cannot understand incidents like what happened a few weeks ago, when someone said about the nastiest garbage I'd heard in years.

Anyway, I feel like I'm derailing this thread, so one simple bit of advice - choose your words carefully, no matter who you're talking to.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia

I like how this forum replaces banned words with their Khoisan (I presume) equivalents.

But yes, in a cut-throat society like ours the vulnerable are the first to suffer, subject only to the ebb and flow of general affluence and soothed a little by the conscience and morality of a few.

J.A.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2023
I had a high-function autistic
To be clear, I'm not mentioning this to chastise or 'correct', merely to offer information that you and others may not be aware of.

In neurodivergent communities the terminology of function levels is, though not universally, generally considered to be demeaning. The rationale behind this is complex and nuanced so I don't want to go into it here, I just thought I'd point it out as something to consider.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
To be clear, I'm not mentioning this to chastise or 'correct', merely to offer information that you and others may not be aware of.

In neurodivergent communities the terminology of function levels is, though not universally, generally considered to be demeaning. The rationale behind this is complex and nuanced so I don't want to go into it here, I just thought I'd point it out as something to consider.
Thanks. I had worked with two such individuals who referred to themselves in this manner. I meant no offense.

On the other hand, my adoptive dad had Alzheimer's Disease and I had to become skilled at non-verbal communication, and used that later to help the non-verbal in my check lane to make the best of their experience.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I've found that people are very consistent to them. Horoscopes, on the other hand, are usually crap.

Aren't horoscopes and the zodiac part of the same system - Astrology?

Anyway, since the system started, the whole night sky has precessed one sign around, so we are all off by one whole sign now.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Aren't horoscopes and the zodiac part of the same system - Astrology?

Anyway, since the system started, the whole night sky has precessed one sign around, so we are all off by one whole sign now.
Horoscopes are generally not made with any more accuracy than reading tea leaves or Tarot cards. There may be some who can make them worthwhile, but generally, I haven't seen that. Numerology is like these. That's why Dionne Warwick added an "e" to her name at one point.

Zodiac signs are set, whether they've actually shifted or not, I have noticed a consistency in certain attributes of people in those signs.

Whether you can actually use the knowledge (or believe) to your benefit is something else entirely.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Horoscopes are generally not made with any more accuracy than reading tea leaves or Tarot cards. There may be some who can make them worthwhile, but generally, I haven't seen that. Numerology is like these. That's why Dionne Warwick added an "e" to her name at one point.

Zodiac signs are set, whether they've actually shifted or not, I have noticed a consistency in certain attributes of people in those signs.

Whether you can actually use the knowledge (or believe) to your benefit is something else entirely.

But, what you are saying there is that as the heavens precess, then the characteristics of one zodiac sign shift to the next.

Reactions: bousozoku

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

Long ago, in order to form an opinion about horoscopes, I decided to dig in deeper.
So I bought a number of books, Ephemeris, and studied them all. Of course I learned to draw personalized horoscope charts.

So, one day, I worked out the horoscope of my sister in law's firstborn - a girl who was 3 or 4 years old at the time. If I remember correctly, it was a 4-5 page document, quite specific and detailed. Instead of reading it, the parents decided to safely store it away, only to pick it up after about 10 years. This is when the father came to me and said: "You are a dangerous person"...
One of my wife's co-workers (a woman that I never met) appeared to be interested in horoscopes. So she asked if I would make the horoscopes of her two children - which I agreed upon. Later, when reading my text, she got confused until she discovered she had switched the birth dates of her children. After setting things right, all became clear and frighteningly correct...

What to think?
I believe we are surrounded by gigantic magnetic fields from Outerspace, but also from our own planet Earth. Speaking of which, I studied geopathology as well.
If anything, I find it all fascinating enough to not just wave it away as silly (or worse).

Just my opinion, folks ;-)

Reactions: bousozoku

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Astrology is essentially a massive exercise in the confirmation bias. It's basically the confirmation bias as a system.

I guess I'm also put off by the idea that we shouldn't judge someone by their race, gender, appearance, religion, or where they were born, but we absolutely should judge them by when they were born; in fact, that tells you all you need to know about a person.

In before "what a [insert sign] thing to say!" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.