Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I agree.

I can't stand it, either.

Yes, I know.

But, I still detest this practice.
It wasn't easier in Japanese.

I remember an IBM typewriter keyboard for Japanese. What we call Roman characters fit onto three keys. The first time I actually learnt to type Japanese on the computer, I was at the Kobe University. I'm still using that technique to this day on the computer. Smartphones make it all so much easier.

I've seen Indonesian and Tagalog shortened and it's no better than English. At least with Japanese, the small characters for sounds fit into a similar space, so that it's all easier to read. The slang is another matter.

When I was in Japan, a friend left me instructions on how to get to the Shinkansen station in Tokyo, in order to travel to Kobe. I kept seeing ho-mu. I asked someone for help. No one seemed to understand. He was writing Puratoho-mu or Platform. Funny how English sneaks into Japanese.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
"U" and "ur" representing "you" and "your/you're." CAN'T STAND IT!!
Ur right, couldn't agree more.

;)

My son does that all the time; I'm slowly trying to get him to realize that some day it may have unintended consequences.

Reactions: rm5

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ur right, couldn't agree more.

;)

My son does that all the time; I'm slowly trying to get him to realize that some day it may have unintended consequences.
I've seen people write essays with those.

Years ago, there was a TV advert for Rolaids.

"How do you spell relief?"
"R-O-L-A-I-D-S"

Unfortunately, a few people took this to heart.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Saw something written on another forum today that was definitely new to me: "fam-bam". Huh? From the context I guessed that it meant "family," but still checked one of the online slang dictionaries just to be sure. Thanks, I'll stick with the perfectly decent and meaningful word "family." Sheesh!

Oh, and yes, I also dislike seeing "fam" used, too, rather than the writer or speaker taking the one or two extra seconds of time to add the three additional letters in order to properly refer to and spell "family."

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Saw something written on another forum today that was definitely new to me: "fam-bam". Huh? From the context I guessed that it meant "family," but still checked one of the online slang dictionaries just to be sure. Thanks, I'll stick with the perfectly decent and meaningful word "family." Sheesh!

Oh, and yes, I also dislike seeing "fam" used, too, rather than the writer or speaker taking the one or two extra seconds of time to add the three additional letters in order to properly refer to and spell "family."
Saw something on an online forum which asked a poster to "example it".

Ugh.

What is wrong with asking "could you give an example?", or "offer an example?", or "take an example"?

"Example" is not a verb.

Reactions: Clix Pix

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California

To be fair, "fam" is now synonymous with "dude" and no longer literally means "family" in many contexts. (I also find it annoying).

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
To be fair, "fam" is now synonymous with "dude" and no longer literally means "family" in many contexts. (I also find it annoying).
That was one of the irritating aspects of the 13 Doctor's tenure on Doctor Who, Jodie Whittaker referring to her companions as her "fam". I wish to note I actually liked her take on the Doctor and liked many episodes just hated that phrase.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Oh, yes, a heartfelt and profound amen to that.

Completely and passionately agree with you.

"Addicting" is yet another one of those expressions that sets my teeth on edge whenever my bespectacled eyes alight upon it.

What is wrong with "addictive"?
I blame IGN

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Its normally americanisms that bug me, like how solder is somehow pronounced saw-der.

But there is none worse than 'addicting'. The correct word is 'addictive.'

Also the plural of Lego is Lego.
How about unsatisfied instead of dissatisfied?

I regularly hear Naan Bread, which is Bread Bread, Chai Tea, which is Tea Tea, Polish Kielbasa Sausage, which is Polish Sausage Sausage.

Reactions: chown33

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
They have different meanings.

Unsatisfied is used in mathematical, scientific and other matter-of-fact like settings. Conditions can be unsatisfied.

Dissatisfied it subjective, it describes a metal state.

So... a mathematician may be dissatisfied if his equations are unsatisfied??? Is this not less than satisfactory? (Are there enough multiple negatives in this statement?)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They have different meanings.

Unsatisfied is used in mathematical, scientific and other matter-of-fact like settings. Conditions can be unsatisfied.

Dissatisfied it subjective, it describes a metal state.
Sorry you misunderstood, but I was asking about people confusing the two, which I hear far too often.

I'm beginning to think that the majority of English teachers don't know English and then, the movies enhance the disinformation.

Reactions: Gregg2

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
How about the suffix "ish" ?
Sure I can understand it in certain situations (i.e. words), but definitely not in expressions like "a year and a half -ish ago".

Reactions: bousozoku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.