Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Perhaps the teacher was not an especially good public speaker; many of those who understand their subject matter well and have mastered it professionally are unable to to impart it to others in an engaging and interesting and informative manner.
I find that it's usually those with a lifetime's experience that has the most difficulty explaining. They're so unconsciously competent (four stages of competence) that it's as natural as breathing. Return of the Jedi, where Luke under goes Jedi training. Using the force was second nature to Yoda, which was why he told Luke...
a591c21d89b1215f87f9c8db58a8dc62.jpg

Erm...yeah. Very helpful instructions there, ya sawed-off runt.:rolleyes:

Any DIY'er who has tried to lay tiles themselves knows the fustration of no being able to lay the tiles straight or even. When you watch a pro do it, it looks so easy, effortless even. Even after hands on instructions by the pro, I still couldn't lay the tiles flat. Stage 2, conscious incompetence.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Does anyone know what the hell "OwO" is? I've been seeing it so much lately, yet I have absolutely no clue what it means, if anything.
Some people believe that the would of OwO is supposed to make a woooo or oooo sound, however it is most commonly pronounced oo-woo. The two O’s in the emoticon are meant to represent wide eyes, while the w represents a happy, content mouth. Therefore, this expression can show a facial expression of happy excitement.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thanks for your explanations, @Chuckeee and @Mousse !

I'm literally one of the most uneducated and uncultured people on this planet, especially when it comes to things like that, so thanks!
Some of the emoticons come from the Japanese keyboard, so they'll seem foreign to anyone outside of Asia. Before the emoji existed, emoticons helped convey that sort of response.

Reactions: rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had a maths instructor do that. I understood the term the first time. Each additional time gave me additional information to confuse me. I ended up with a failing grade, as did most of my class mates.
Well, it may not have worked for you, but, firstly, not all students understand (or remember) everything the first time that they hear it, and secondly, in general, it does tend to work rather well as a pedagogical tool.

Reactions: bousozoku

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Well, it may not have worked for you, but, firstly, not all students understand (or remember) everything the first time that they hear it, and secondly, in general, it does tend to work rather well as a pedagogical tool.
There is a concept (theory?) that to effectively remember something new you need to be exposed to it “4 times, 4 different ways”. Unfortunately, many presenters only address the “4 times” and just repeat the exact same lecture point the exact same way, while ignoring the “4 different ways”. The “4 different ways” could include: stating, showing, reading, examples, writing, listening, etc.

Reactions: bousozoku and rm5

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Some people believe that the would of OwO is supposed to make a woooo or oooo sound, however it is most commonly pronounced oo-woo. The two O’s in the emoticon are meant to represent wide eyes, while the w represents a happy, content mouth. Therefore, this expression can show a facial expression of happy excitement.
Makes more sense than my guess:
OwO = owl with bent-up beak
OvO = owl with intact beak
O^O = owl with intact beak looking up

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
There is a concept (theory?) that to effectively remember something new you need to be exposed to it “4 times, 4 different ways”. Unfortunately, many presenters only address the “4 times” and just repeat the exact same lecture point the exact same way, while ignoring the “4 different ways”. The “4 different ways” could include: stating, showing, reading, examples, writing, listening, etc.
Huh, I actually didn't know that! All I know is that by far the best way to retain information is to take notes by hand. Probably a combination of that, along with what you're talking about could work really well.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
There is a very logical explanation for this theory. The listeners are usually quite diverse and are at different stages of their lives, have different education and life experiences. The power of the true "words of wisdom" is that no matter where you are at this stage of your life you will always take away something that will benefit you. There is no need to try and "overstretch yourself" in order to "get it".

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Does anyone know what the hell "OwO" is? I've been seeing it so much lately, yet I have absolutely no clue what it means, if anything.
I just googled it, and found:

"OwO" is an emoticon that is often used to convey a sense of curiosity, surprise, or excitement. It is typically represented by the letters "OwO" with wide, open eyes and a mouth that forms a small "o" shape. In internet culture, it is often associated with the furry fandom and anime communities.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
There is a very logical explanation for this theory. The listeners are usually quite diverse and are at different stages of their lives, have different education and life experiences. The power of the true "words of wisdom" is that no matter where you are at this stage of your life you will always take away something that will benefit you. There is no need to try and "overstretch yourself" in order to "get it".
Repetition is fine by me, I understand.
It's mostly the word "Again" that annoys me because what I sometimes hear is:
"Let me repeat myself because you may have not listened to what I said before, or you're just too plain dumb to understand" :confused:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Repetition is fine by me, I understand.
It's mostly the word "Again" that annoys me because what I sometimes hear is:
"Let me repeat myself because you may have not listened to what I said before, or you're just too plain dumb to understand" :confused:
I think "repetition" can also be used in order to get you in a "transcendental meditation" state in order to better connect with your subconscious mind.

I like the concept that it is much better to be present at the lecture in a "half asleep" state than not be present at all(subconscious mind never sleeps). So I guess there is a deeper meaning for punishing students for not being present in classes. It is a different story if a student is simply not interested in the subject though.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I just googled it, and found:

"OwO" is an emoticon that is often used to convey a sense of curiosity, surprise, or excitement. It is typically represented by the letters "OwO" with wide, open eyes and a mouth that forms a small "o" shape. In internet culture, it is often associated with the furry fandom and anime communities.

Should note that "OwO" is to be distinguished from "UwU", the latter of which is more associated with "cuteness" (where the U's represent closed eyes).

Reactions: Chuckeee and rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Like, what I'm kind of about to do is, like, I'm gonna pull the trigger on this bad boy, and what I'll do next is, like, make it my daily-ish driver. o_O
YOOOOOOO, OH MY GOD!! I cannot WAIT to unbox this bad boy! It's the "new" (actually very old) MacBook Pro, and it's a BEAST! I'm like so excited to show it to you guys, but first, a word from our sponsor, NordVPN!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Like, what I'm kind of about to do is, like, I'm gonna pull the trigger on this bad boy, and what I'll do next is, like, make it my daily-ish driver. o_O

YOOOOOOO, OH MY GOD!! I cannot WAIT to unbox this bad boy! It's the "new" (actually very old) MacBook Pro, and it's a BEAST! I'm like so excited to show it to you guys, but first, a word from our sponsor, NordVPN!
Bravo, both of you.

If there was an icon to suggest applause, I would have clicked on it.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Guys... I don't know what to do anymore - I just saw "jelly" in a comment (as a substitute for jealous). I think that might be the most atrocious slang I've ever seen.

Like, what do I do now??? That's just unfathomably bad. I have no words for how bad that is. I think that transcends all others in this thread in terms of just maximally cringy, awful, words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.