Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
Video editing.

Any tech video, any review you watch on YouTube has video editing as a benchmark, probably because that's all they do and know, but fail to realize that the world doesn't revolve around video editing, any product they review or talk about, they'll tell you how good/bad it is at editing videos.

I've heard those two words so much that it makes me roll my eyes.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Almost all of these.

Some seem to make perfect sense:

Texan
Alaskan
etc.

Some are just plain stupid:

Connecticuter
Illinoisan
Massachusettsan
Michiganite
New Hampshirite
New Jerseyite (even looks stupid!)
Utahn (LOL, what?)

Yes I know this is an irrational hatred but why can't we just say "residents of X" and be done with it!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Almost all of these.

Some seem to make perfect sense:

Texan
Alaskan
etc.

Some are just plain stupid:

Connecticuter
Illinoisan
Massachusettsan
Michiganite
New Hampshirite
New Jerseyite (even looks stupid!)
Utahn (LOL, what?)

Yes I know this is an irrational hatred but why can't we just say "residents of X" and be done with it!
I thought that it was Michiganer and Jersey Boy/Jersey Girl.

Indiana's Hoosier that supposedly came from "Who's here?" is just strange.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When anyone writes - or uses, or utters - "whazzup?" as an opening gambit, because they are either too lazy, or think that they are too cool, to write these words out fully.

Anyway, whenever anyone (invariably male, no woman of my acquaintance has ever used this appalling form of address) - addressed a communication to me commencing with "whazzup?" rather than disposing me kindly towards them, instead, I invariably harboured bleak and dark thoughts of homicide.

Reactions: Chuckeee

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
When anyone writes - or uses, or utters - "whazzup?" as an opening gambit, because they are either too lazy, or think that they are too cool, to write these words out fully.

Anyway, whenever anyone (invariably male, no woman of my acquaintance has ever used this appalling form of address) - addressed a communication to me commencing with "whazzup?" rather than disposing me kindly towards them, instead, I invariably harboured bleak and dark thoughts of homicide.
I used to write "Wassup" when I entered the chat room back in the 1990s, so sue me. Every byte counted.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: icanhazmac

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

I don't mean to be insulting but are you aware of the TV commercials that started that usage? IIRC you are across the pond and may not have seen them.

budweiser wassup commercial​

Probably doesn't make it any better for you but its usage is probably more pop-culture versus lazy.

I used to write "Wassup" when I entered the chat room back in the 1990s, so sue me.

I still use it on occasion, with my homies, to @Scepticalscribe 's point I don't think I have ever used it to greet the ladies.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
With pleasure.

This is torturing the English language.

And I loathe it, abominate it, detest it.....and want to murder whoever strangled the lovely language of English by such deliberate and criminal ill usage.
I torture every language by molding or moulding them into one.

• Haha
Reactions: chown33

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't mean to be insulting but are you aware of the TV commercials that started that usage? IIRC you are across the pond and may not have seen them.

budweiser wassup commercial​

Probably doesn't make it any better for you but its usage is probably more pop-culture versus lazy.

I still use it on occasion, with my homies, to @Scepticalscribe 's point I don't think I have ever used it to greet the ladies.
I am very much aware of what started this, worse, I actually remember it; (and allow me to add that I also detest Budweiser, the beer, although I am partial to the venerable Czech ancestor or progenitor).

That doesn't alter the fact that this ("whazzup", or "wassup") is a massacre of language (my mother also used to curse, fluently, whenever this ad appeared on TV), an appalling abuse of language (in my personal opinion).

Anyway, anyone who thought to address me in such terms received very short shrift.

Why not use words, proper words, instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I am very much aware of what started this, worse, I actually remember it; (and allow me to add that I also detest Budweiser, the beer, although I am partial to the venerable Czech ancestor or progenitor).

That doesn't alter the fact that this is a massacre of language (my mother also used to curse, fluently, whenever this ad appeared on TV), an appalling abuse of language (in my personal opinion).

Anyway, anyone who thought to address me in such terms received very short shrift.

Why not use words, roper words, instead?
When appealing to sports fanatics, can you speak rationally and fluently and be understood?

When i was going into the chat room, it was at 1200 bps and every byte counted. Saving space on the telephone line was important.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When appealing to sports fanatics, can you speak rationally and fluently and be understood?
That is a defence for something that (given the thread title) cannot be defended.....

Now, if we were posting in a sports thread, perhaps one might arrive at a different conclusion (although I probably wouldn't, as I really dislike and detest this expression).
When i was going into the chat room, it was at 1200 bps and every byte counted. Saving space on the telephone line was important.
Indeed.

However, it remains (to my mind, and ear, and eye) an abomination.

• Haha
Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That is a defence for something that (given the thread title) cannot be defended.....

Now, if we were posting in a sports thread, perhaps one might arrive at a different conclusion (although I probably wouldn't, as I really dislike and detest this expression).

Indeed.

However, it remains (to my mind, and ear, and eye) an abomination.
Call me a chav, if you like, though I've been called a "public school prat", which was one of my favourite moments, considering that I've never even been to England.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Call me a chav, if you like, though I've been called a "public school prat", which was one of my favourite moments, considering that I've never even been to England.
I find it interesting that the insults that are thought to (culturally, or socio-economically) "sting", or offend, or wound, more, tend to be based on - or, derive from - assumed social class in the UK, whereas ethnicity and race feature in similar terms found (or used) in the US.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I find it interesting that the insults that are thought to (culturally, or socio-economically) "sting", or offend, or wound, more, tend to be based on - or, derive from - assumed social class in the UK, whereas ethnicity and race feature in similar terms found (or used) in the US.
True. "Right foul git" isn't exactly horrid in contrast to some of the more bigoted strings of names I've been called at times.

At those times, I'm ready to laugh and reply "You'll have to do better. I was called names like that when I was five years old. They're not all that difficult to accept now."

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Just finished following an online workshop, where the teacher not only kept repeating himself but also added "Again..." each time he did. Maybe he does it unconsciously but for an audience it can be interpreted as insulting.
I mean, does the speaker think the listener is stupid, so he needs to repeat everything in order for him to understand?

Reactions: bousozoku and rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just finished following an online workshop, where the teacher not only kept repeating himself but also added "Again..." each time he did. Maybe he does it unconsciously but for an audience it can be interpreted as insulting.
I mean, does the speaker think the listener is stupid, so he needs to repeat everything in order for him to understand?
Perhaps the teacher was not an especially good public speaker; many of those who understand their subject matter well and have mastered it professionally are unable to to impart it to others in an engaging and interesting and informative manner.

However, as someone who once toiled at the educational coalface myself, I will say that repeating - reiterating, - key points a few times in the course of a class, or lecture, or seminar, is a well known pedagogical trick, for, your audience will not remember this key material (or points) otherwise.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Perhaps the teacher was not an especially good public speaker; many of those who understand their subject matter well and have mastered it professionally are unable to to impart it to others in an engaging and interesting and informative manner.

However, as someone who once toiled at the educational coalface myself, I will say that repeating - reiterating, - key points a few times in the course of a class, or lecture, or seminar, is a well known pedagogical trick, for, your audience will not remember this key material (or points) otherwise.
I had a maths instructor do that. I understood the term the first time. Each additional time gave me additional information to confuse me. I ended up with a failing grade, as did most of my class mates.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Does anyone know what the hell "OwO" is? I've been seeing it so much lately, yet I have absolutely no clue what it means, if anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.