Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
The app uses Apple’s workout system, so it is limited to the activity types that offers, which unfortunately do not include Jacob's Ladder.

However in the future I plan to allow the ability to create custom activity types that map to Apple’s types, so you could create new activity types. Custom activities are probably top of my to-do list after I have added the navigation improvements, but that will take some time.

Reactions: TherealSCDC

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I have a favour to ask the good folks on these forums. I am currently working on adding turn by turn navigation for GPX routes that contain directions. Unfortunately there isn't really a standard for storing directions in a GPX file, so every system does it slightly differently.

This means that it would be very useful for me to see some sample GPX files containing navigation waypoints. So if you use a particular app/website to create GPX files that contain turn by turn navigation then please could you send some sample files to info@workoutDoors.net. I will then try to ensure that WOD supports turn by turn navigation for GPX files created by that app or website.

Thanks!
I would be glad to cooperate. In general I prepare my tracks on Komoot site, export them in gpx (on the Mac) and import in WOD. I just add waypoints in order to prepare the course that interests me. If files prepared this way are somehow useful I’d be glad to share them.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I would be glad to cooperate. In general I prepare my tracks on Komoot site, export them in gpx (on the Mac) and import in WOD. I just add waypoints in order to prepare the course that interests me. If files prepared this way are somehow useful I’d be glad to share them.
That would be great thanks. It would be useful to see how you/Komoot store the directions in the waypoints.

Reactions: cubodado

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I have a favour to ask the good folks on these forums. I am currently working on adding turn by turn navigation for GPX routes that contain directions. Unfortunately there isn't really a standard for storing directions in a GPX file, so every system does it slightly differently.

This means that it would be very useful for me to see some sample GPX files containing navigation waypoints. So if you use a particular app/website to create GPX files that contain turn by turn navigation then please could you send some sample files to info@workoutDoors.net. I will then try to ensure that WOD supports turn by turn navigation for GPX files created by that app or website.

Just sent you one from Komoot, one from gpsies and one from Garmin Connect. Good luck!

Reactions: cfc

oric1sg

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017

Thanks!
Hi Ian,

I'm love creating my route on https://trailrouter.com/ and export it to WOD.

It has a very clean UI, very simple to use and totally free.

I've just email you the GPX file.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi Ian,

I use Komoot, Outdooractive, Garmin Connect and Bergfex for generating the gpx files I use.

If you need files, let me know.
If you can create a GPX file with navigation instructions included from any of those sources then that would be very useful thanks. Usually they are stored as <wpt> tags in the file. I don't think it is possible with Komoot or Garmin Connect but I haven't yet seen files generated by Outdooractive or Bergfex.

So far the only GPX files containing turn by turn navigation that I have seen are those created by the www.plotaroute.com website. I have been using those files to code up the functionality, in the expectation that other systems would also be able to create GPX files with navigation. However so far I haven't found any other sources of GPX with turn by turn directions, which is a bit worrying.

Many systems seem to create directions but, apart from plotaroute, I haven't found any that include them in the GPX file.

If necessary I could load TCX or FIT files. Apparently Garmin Connect includes turn by turn in FIT files, but only when it sends them to a Garmin device and not when you simply export them. So it may be possible to get FIT files with turn by turn by going via a Garmin Watch. That is obviously not very practical but if there are any other major systems which only create TBT in FIT files then it may be worth me coding up the ability to load routes from FIT files as well as GPX.

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
Yes, it does seem that Apple have broken / changed something in watchOS 10.4 that sometimes prevents the app from updating the always on display. I have managed to replicate it on one of my watches, and also on the simulator that Apple provide to developers. I tried a few things that fixed it on the simulator but unfortunately they didn't help on the device.

I have given up looking into it at the moment and I am hoping that Apple realise what they have done and fix it in a future update. I don't want to spend ages trying to find a workaround if they do fix it in the next version. But if they don't fix it then I will probably need to pause work on the new features and concentrate on how to workaround whatever they have changed.

My past two runs didn't start, and I think it's because I pressed the action button while my arm was down. So I think 10.4 did more damage than simply not updating the screen.

Edit: Actually, the action button will no longer start my run even if my arm is up. I'm restarting the watch now.

Edit2: False alarm. Restarting the watch fixed it. My action button is properly working again, even when the watch is down.

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
My past two runs didn't start, and I think it's because I pressed the action button while my arm was down. So I think 10.4 did more damage than simply not updating the screen.

Edit: Actually, the action button will no longer start my run even if my arm is up. I'm restarting the watch now.

Edit2: False alarm. Restarting the watch fixed it. My action button is properly working again, even when the watch is down.
Restarting is the best thing to do when the action button stops working. It has always been a bit flaky.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I have a request: Add a "rucking" workout.
That should be possible in the future when I add the ability to create custom activity types, but unfortunately that won't be for a while.

lukino30

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
Hey i was wondering if it is possible to use garmin hrm pro plus as cadence sensor while running ? Because there is that option and i think its more accurate than using sensor on wrist. TIA

lukino30

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
Hey i was wondering if it is possible to use garmin hrm pro plus as cadence sensor while running ? Because there is that option and i think its more accurate than using sensor on wrist. TIA

Its working but at the beginning it counts wrong steps. Any fixes ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4287.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 48

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Its working but at the beginning it counts wrong steps. Any fixes ? Thanks
That looks more like an issue with the sensor. WOD doesn't do anything different at the beginning, so maybe the sensor just takes a while to start counting steps. The graph at the bottom seems to indicate that.

Having said that, when I added the sensor functionality I don't think there were heart straps that provided cadence, so it has never been formally tested. I plan to revisit the sensor functionality at some time, and will probably look into this sort of thing then, but there are a few higher priorities at the moment. Sorry about that.

lukino30

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
That looks more like an issue with the sensor. WOD doesn't do anything different at the beginning, so maybe the sensor just takes a while to start counting steps. The graph at the bottom seems to indicate that.

Having said that, when I added the sensor functionality I don't think there were heart straps that provided cadence, so it has never been formally tested. I plan to revisit the sensor functionality at some time, and will probably look into this sort of thing then, but there are a few higher priorities at the moment. Sorry about that.
Thanks for your asnwer. I was confused because there is higher step count but lower cadence so its probably true that sensor needs some time to work properly. This HR strap should be able to monitor cadence but Im not sure if only through ANT+ or even BLE

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for your asnwer. I was confused because there is higher step count but lower cadence so its probably true that sensor needs some time to work properly. This HR strap should be able to monitor cadence but Im not sure if only through ANT+ or even BLE
If it does provide cadence then it will only do that if you have specifically connected to it via the Sensor settings in WOD.

lukino30

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
If it does provide cadence then it will only do that if you have specifically connected to it via the Sensor settings in WOD.
I connected it for HR and cadence. It can be connected even for pace but I have read that its better to use it just indoors cause GPS is much more accurate. Anyways thanks for your time and for this awesome app.

BrianGGG

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2022

Thanks!
I don't know if it will help, but I just sent a sample GPX from the RunGo app. I use this web and iPhone App to plot routes, and it is capable of providing turn-by-turn if I use RunGo to capture my run (which I never do as I am committed to WorkOutdoors).

dtmace2

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
hi workoutdoors team,
I was just wondering if its possible to get a bullet point roadmap of what the next few updates will be?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
hi workoutdoors team,
I was just wondering if its possible to get a bullet point roadmap of what the next few updates will be?
The next version will have various navigation improvements. After that the ability to create custom activities and to import interval schedules are the next features on my list.

However Apple's developer conference is in a couple of months (early June) so whatever they announce may change my priorities after the navigation version.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Sorry for the OT: with my AW I always seem to fail to get the right cadence. When I am running with friends we sometimes try to have the same pace, usually they have Garmin watches and I have AW. In the end they have an average cadence higher than 170 while mine is around 160. Same happens when I use a metronome to stay in the right pace. WOD is very useful to configure screens where cadence is shown, when I check it usually seems ok or close but the average is almost always lower than displayed cadence. I am a bit taller than the average but not to justify this difference (184cm). Do you think cadence on AW is lower than it should be or simply wrong?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Sorry for the OT: with my AW I always seem to fail to get the right cadence. When I am running with friends we sometimes try to have the same pace, usually they have Garmin watches and I have AW. In the end they have an average cadence higher than 170 while mine is around 160. Same happens when I use a metronome to stay in the right pace. WOD is very useful to configure screens where cadence is shown, when I check it usually seems ok or close but the average is almost always lower than displayed cadence. I am a bit taller than the average but not to justify this difference (184cm). Do you think cadence on AW is lower than it should be or simply wrong?
Maybe you are also having problems where the sensor (in this case the watch) takes a while to start registering your steps. It's not something I have heard of from the watch sensor but this would explain why the average seems lower than the cadence reported during a workout.

Please send the wkt file for a sample workout to info@workoutdoors.net and I will take a look. To do this tap the Export button 3 times quickly.

leescottdavis

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
I saw a video on Youtube just last week about step tracking, which ultimately affects cadence calculations and Apple Watches were tracking slightly below actual, but Garmins were consistently high, so it's probable you're both wrong, but your Garmin friends more so.

Reactions: cfc and cubodado

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Hi,

Is there a possibility to automatically format the name of the activity? Now, the default name is f.e. Friday Evening Run. But it would be great if I could automatically add the distance I just ran in the activity name...

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi,

Is there a possibility to automatically format the name of the activity? Now, the default name is f.e. Friday Evening Run. But it would be great if I could automatically add the distance I just ran in the activity name...
That has been on my to-do list for a while, but has always been low down the list because it is rarely requested. Sorry about that. However it will rise up the list slightly as a result of your request.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.