Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
That has been on my to-do list for a while, but has always been low down the list because it is rarely requested. Sorry about that. However it will rise up the list slightly as a result of your request.

that would be great. Keep up the good work, this app is the best workout-app for ios and unlocks so many things we never knew the apple watch could measure

Reactions: cfc

estesbubba

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2020
Does WOD not write weather data to Health? Other 3rd party activity apps do so hoping it's something I don't have configured correctly.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Does WOD not write weather data to Health? Other 3rd party activity apps do so hoping it's something I don't have configured correctly.
I may add weather information in the future but only if I can find somewhere that provides the data for free (which I can't at the moment).

Apple started providing it for free up to a point in watchOS 9 but I am not sure how much it would cost me after that point. The app’s business model of a one-off payment doesn’t allow for on-going costs.

Sorry about that.

Reactions: testcard

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
Restarting is the best thing to do when the action button stops working. It has always been a bit flaky.

I'm having to restart every other day now to get the action button to work again. I'm curious if other apps are having similar issues with the action button on watchOS 10.4. I sure hope Apple fixes this and then AOD issue soon.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I'm having to restart every other day now to get the action button to work again. I'm curious if other apps are having similar issues with the action button on watchOS 10.4. I sure hope Apple fixes this and then AOD issue soon.
The AOD issue is very annoying but I haven’t noticed the action button being worse since watchOS 10.4 came out. I just checked my emails and it has only been reported twice by email over the 5 weeks since it was released. Maybe another couple of reports via other sources but that is no more than in the past. Unfortunately it has always been a bit flaky.

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
The AOD issue is very annoying but I haven’t noticed the action button being worse since watchOS 10.4 came out. I just checked my emails and it has only been reported twice by email over the 5 weeks since it was released. Maybe another couple of reports via other sources but that is no more than in the past. Unfortunately it has always been a bit flaky.
This action button is driving me insane. I just lost the first 1.5miles of another run because it didn’t start the run. It’s definitely a 10.4 issue. I never had it fail in the past. When I search the net I’m not finding anyone complaining about this. I think the problem is a lot less people have Ultras and even fewer use 3rd party apps to track their runs. I’m afraid Apple isn’t going to fix this any time soon with such a small subset of users that would even be affected. What is the best way to complain to Apple about this?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
This action button is driving me insane. I just lost the first 1.5miles of another run because it didn’t start the run. It’s definitely a 10.4 issue. I never had it fail in the past. When I search the net I’m not finding anyone complaining about this. I think the problem is a lot less people have Ultras and even fewer use 3rd party apps to track their runs. I’m afraid Apple isn’t going to fix this any time soon with such a small subset of users that would even be affected. What is the best way to complain to Apple about this?
What exactly is happening? Do you have the action button configured to start a workout in WOD but it doesn't seem to start one? Does it at least show WOD or is it ignored? Or do you not look and assume that it has worked (which is often necessary in race conditions)?

Also do you have any of the Precision Start options enabled in Settings / Start Options? If "Precision Start if using Sensors" is enabled then do you have any sensors connected?

The majority of WOD users seem to have an Ultra these days and most of them use the action button but I am not hearing of repeated issues. In fact, as I say, I have not heard of any more action button issues than usual recently.

It may be worth rebooting the iPhone as well as the watch. It shouldn't make any difference but you never know. If that doesn't work then the usual next steps for strange issues are to reinstall the watch app (not the iPhone app), and failing that then to unpair the watch from the phone and re-pair it.

Note that if you do this you will then need to send the data from the iPhone app to the watch app. This can be done by going to the Settings tab and tapping File Management and then "Send Yesterday’s Watch Settings", "Send Screens to Watch” and “Send Interval Schedules to Watch”. If you want then you can also send routes or workouts individually. They can’t all be sent at once because they are too large.

In terms of complaining to Apple, as @NME42 says the Feedback Assistant is the way to go, but don't expect much help. They will probably blame the app and if I complain they will ask for a cut down version of the app which reproduces the problem (which is usually not possible for random issues, especially if they affect someone else and I can't reproduce them myself).

Hopefully a reboot/reinstall/unpair will help. Good luck!

Reactions: NME42

lange79

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
I may add weather information in the future but only if I can find somewhere that provides the data for free (which I can't at the moment).

Apple started providing it for free up to a point in watchOS 9 but I am not sure how much it would cost me after that point. The app’s business model of a one-off payment doesn’t allow for on-going costs.

Sorry about that.
Would it be possible to have the end user get an api-key for open weather then have them input that api-key into WOD?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Would it be possible to have the end user get an api-key for open weather then have them input that api-key into WOD?
I guess that would be possible but it would probably only be of use for a handful of people. So it wouldn't be worth the effort. Sorry.

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
What exactly is happening? Do you have the action button configured to start a workout in WOD but it doesn't seem to start one? Does it at least show WOD or is it ignored? Or do you not look and assume that it has worked (which is often necessary in race conditions)?

Also do you have any of the Precision Start options enabled in Settings / Start Options? If "Precision Start if using Sensors" is enabled then do you have any sensors connected?
I haven't changed any settings since getting my U2 in November. In the watch app I have the action set to "Workout", the App set to WorkOutDoors and the first press set to "Start a Workout/Run". In WOD, under start options, I have precision start enabled and precision start via action button enabled.

In the past, from the watch face I would press the action button once which would launch WOD directly to the green start button. I would wait for a HR lock and then press the action button a second time to start the run and it always worked. Since 10.4, the first click will launch to the green button but when I press the second time it just flashes a blank orange screen with no text and doesn't start and I have to press the green button with the touch screen to actually start the run. After restarting the watch it will work for a few runs and then go back to not working again. I'm trying to get into the habit of watching to make sure it actually starts but I usually forget because this was never a problem before.

Edit: I don't have any BT sensors connected.

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I haven't changed any settings since getting my U2 in November. In the watch app I have the action set to "Workout", the App set to WorkOutDoors and the first press set to "Start a Workout/Run". In WOD, under start options, I have precision start enabled and precision start via action button enabled.

In the past, from the watch face I would press the action button once which would launch WOD directly to the green start button. I would wait for a HR lock and then press the action button a second time to start the run and it always worked. Since 10.4, the first click will launch to the green button but when I press the second time it just flashes a blank orange screen with no text and doesn't start and I have to press the green button with the touch screen to actually start the run. After restarting the watch it will work for a few runs and then go back to not working again. I'm trying to get into the habit of watching to make sure it actually starts but I usually forget because this was never a problem before.

Edit: I don't have any BT sensors connected.
Thanks for the details. That does sound like the issue with the action button that I have heard of occasionally since the app was updated for the Ultra. Most reports of the blank orange screen are when using it as a shortcut but the principle is the same.

I haven’t heard of it repeatedly though. Can you think of anything you do differently with the previous workout before the one that fails to start? Maybe ending a workout in a certain way causes the problem?

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
Can you think of anything you do differently with the previous workout before the one that fails to start? Maybe ending a workout in a certain way causes the problem?

I'm really consistent with this stuff. I pause the run by hitting the action button/side button. Then I long hold, click end, and then yes to end the run. Then I click done so that it uploads to Strava. Once that is done and it drops back to the main menu, I force close WorkOutDoors by holding the side button until the power off screen comes up and then hold the crown until the app closes and it drops back to the watch face. I've done it this way for years now.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I'm really consistent with this stuff. I pause the run by hitting the action button/side button. Then I long hold, click end, and then yes to end the run. Then I click done so that it uploads to Strava. Once that is done and it drops back to the main menu, I force close WorkOutDoors by holding the side button until the power off screen comes up and then hold the crown until the app closes and it drops back to the watch face. I've done it this way for years now.
That’s reassuring for me at least because I worry that there is some obscure combination of user inputs that is not being handled correctly.

Maybe try reinstalling the watch app or unpairing the watch. I’m not optimistic that either will help but they may be worth trying as they sometimes fix random issues.

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Hey Ian, I sent you an email Saturday about an issue I’m having. Not sure if you missed it as I’m sure you get a lot of emails. I checked my junk folder to make sure a response didn’t go there. It’s about Stryd Duo. Basically I haven’t run for a little while due to injury and went to run again and WOD doesn’t show either Stryd as connected. I deleted them from both the iOS and watchOS WOD but it didn’t help. On iOS and watchOS I am able to pair them again but for whatever reason they don’t connect on the run screen. FWIW, since Saturday I’ve also discovered trying to initiate a run on the Stryd app crashes it. However, I am able to successfully complete a run using the Stryd pods and iSmoothRun. Both updating and restarting the watch didn’t fix it. I also submitted a bug report to Stryd.

EDIT: After the latest Stryd app updates it connects to the pods and can start a run without crashing. So now it seems like the issue is only present in WOD.

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hey Ian, I sent you an email Saturday about an issue I’m having. Not sure if you missed it as I’m sure you get a lot of emails. I checked my junk folder to make sure a response didn’t go there. It’s about Stryd Duo. Basically I haven’t run for a little while due to injury and went to run again and WOD doesn’t show either Stryd as connected. I deleted them from both the iOS and watchOS WOD but it didn’t help. On iOS and watchOS I am able to pair them again but for whatever reason they don’t connect on the run screen. FWIW, since Saturday I’ve also discovered trying to initiate a run on the Stryd app crashes it. However, I am able to successfully complete a run using the Stryd pods and iSmoothRun. Both updating and restarting the watch didn’t fix it. I also submitted a bug report to Stryd.

EDIT: After the latest Stryd app updates it connects to the pods and can start a run without crashing. So now it seems like the issue is only present in WOD.
Sorry but I didn't get any email from you. Maybe you sent it to the wrong email address (instead of info@workoutdoors.net)?

No-one else has mentioned any problems with Stryd recently. I hope they haven't changed something in the Bluetooth protocol again. They did that in January last year and then spent 5 months either ignoring my requests for help or replying in the most unhelpful way possible. Their last response in June was to say they were too busy to help me and could I ask again in September! So I really hope I don't have to go through that again.

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with Stryd? I don't have the Duo (which was released after I added Stryd support to WOD) so it may be related to that.

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Sorry but I didn't get any email from you. Maybe you sent it to the wrong email address (instead of info@workoutdoors.net)?

No-one else has mentioned any problems with Stryd recently. I hope they haven't changed something in the Bluetooth protocol again. They did that in January last year and then spent 5 months either ignoring my requests for help or replying in the most unhelpful way possible. Their last response in June was to say they were too busy to help me and could I ask again in September! So I really hope I don't have to go through that again.

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with Stryd? I don't have the Duo (which was released after I added Stryd support to WOD) so it may be related to that.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response! Yes, it was a continuation of our last email chain (from this past November), so it didn't go to the wrong email. Maybe it went to your spam?

Either way, here are some screenshots, in case it helps. I mentioned in the email I could send a log to debug if that would help, but since I didn't start a run since Stryd wouldn't connect I'm not sure what log to send. Stryd Duo is just two Stryd pods of the latest generation released in 2022, one on each foot. Also, when I wrote Stryd about this when you and I were discussing this last Fall, they wrote back to me, "Stryd Duo pairs as a single sensor like the Next Gen Stryd does and maintains the same watch/ 3rd party compatibility."

So actually, I just changed the sensor used in WorkOutDoors from Stryd with nothing appended after to StrydX with various letters and numbers appended and now WorkOutDoors connects to the pod. Before when I had Stryd as the sensor it just kept on showing searching:
incoming-27012FCF-88DD-4D08-875A-1F820AC8A2D9.PNG

Though weirdly even now while WorkOutDoors shows both paired pods as Stryd and StrydX....
image0.png

iSmothRun shows both with their full names:
IMG_7449.PNG

This is particularly weird because when we were speaking about Stryd Duo in the Fall WorkOutDoors showed both Stryd pods with their full names:
IMG_6287.PNG

Anyway, I'm going to go on a walk later tonight and will use WorkOutDoors to connect Stryd, see if it actually is connecting to both pods and report back.

EDIT: Both pods show up correctly with recorded data from runs recorded with Stryd connected to WorkOutDoors.

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response! Yes, it was a continuation of our last email chain (from this past November), so it didn't go to the wrong email. Maybe it went to your spam?

Either way, here are some screenshots, in case it helps. I mentioned in the email I could send a log to debug if that would help, but since I didn't start a run since Stryd wouldn't connect I'm not sure what log to send. Stryd Duo is just two Stryd pods of the latest generation released in 2022, one on each foot. Also, when I wrote Stryd about this when you and I were discussing this last Fall, they wrote back to me, "Stryd Duo pairs as a single sensor like the Next Gen Stryd does and maintains the same watch/ 3rd party compatibility."

So actually, I just changed the sensor used in WorkOutDoors from Stryd with nothing appended after to StrydX with various letters and numbers appended and now WorkOutDoors connects to the pod. Before when I had Stryd as the sensor it just kept on showing searching:
View attachment 2369010

Though weirdly even now while WorkOutDoors shows both paired pods as Stryd and StrydX....
View attachment 2369012

iSmothRun shows both with their full names:
View attachment 2369013

This is particularly weird because when we were speaking about Stryd Duo in the Fall WorkOutDoors showed both Stryd pods with their full names:
View attachment 2369014

Anyway, I'm going to go on a walk later tonight and will use WorkOutDoors to connect Stryd, see if it actually is connecting to both pods and report back.

EDIT: Both pods show up correctly with recorded data from runs recorded with Stryd connected to WorkOutDoors.
Was our previous email conversation on November 27th? I can't see any emails from that address anywhere since (including spam and on any device).

Just to check: you are only trying to connect to one of the Stryds? The bluetooth code in WOD was written long before the concept of Duo was introduced so it won't support connecting to both footpods at the same time.

In terms of the name, do you still see the problem if you unpair the footpods and then re-pair? I am wondering if Stryd have changed the name recently to include the unique number (which is a good thing) and that WOD is remembering the old name of the pods.

In the past Styrd was the only device I knew of that did not have the unique identifier in the name, which could cause problems in some situations, so it looks like they have fixed that but as a result you may need to unpair and re-pair.

jimmyjoy

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
IRRC there was some talk about being able to share Interval Schedules with other users. Is that feature still coming? It would be very useful for me.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
IRRC there was some talk about being able to share Interval Schedules with other users. Is that feature still coming? It would be very useful for me.
Importing and exporting schedules is on my to-do list but currently below navigation improvements (which I am currently working on) and the ability to add custom activity types. Also whatever Apple announce during their developer conference in June may affect priorities.

So it is in my plans but probably not any time soon. Sorry about that.

Reactions: jimmyjoy

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Was our previous email conversation on November 27th? I can't see any emails from that address anywhere since (including spam and on any device).

Just to check: you are only trying to connect to one of the Stryds? The bluetooth code in WOD was written long before the concept of Duo was introduced so it won't support connecting to both footpods at the same time.

In terms of the name, do you still see the problem if you unpair the footpods and then re-pair? I am wondering if Stryd have changed the name recently to include the unique number (which is a good thing) and that WOD is remembering the old name of the pods.

In the past Styrd was the only device I knew of that did not have the unique identifier in the name, which could cause problems in some situations, so it looks like they have fixed that but as a result you may need to unpair and re-pair.
Thanks, Ian. The last message from the previous conversation was 11/23/23. The last message I don’t have anything saying it bounced back. The subject line is “Stryd Duo on WorkOutDoors.”

Yes, I was only trying to connect to one of the Stryds. I had told Stryd in the Fall after speaking with you that you can only connect to one pod at a time in WOD and they said, “In this case, you can only connect one StrydX pod. This will be good enough to collect data from both pods.”

If I unpair the pod that just says Stryd with no additional unique number and scan again it just shows the pod again with no unique number. I’m not sure why it showed both with their unique identifiers in November but now only shows one. Regardless I am glad it is working.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks, Ian. The last message from the previous conversation was 11/23/23. The last message I don’t have anything saying it bounced back. The subject line is “Stryd Duo on WorkOutDoors.”

Yes, I was only trying to connect to one of the Stryds. I had told Stryd in the Fall after speaking with you that you can only connect to one pod at a time in WOD and they said, “In this case, you can only connect one StrydX pod. This will be good enough to collect data from both pods.”

If I unpair the pod that just says Stryd with no additional unique number and scan again it just shows the pod again with no unique number. I’m not sure why it showed both with their unique identifiers in November but now only shows one. Regardless I am glad it is working.
I can't see any emails about Stryd on that day. Did you maybe contact me via some other mechanism?

I also don't know why one of the Stryd footpads was reporting a name with its unique identifier back then but at least you have things working now.

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I can't see any emails about Stryd on that day. Did you maybe contact me via some other mechanism?

I also don't know why one of the Stryd footpads was reporting a name with its unique identifier back then but at least you have things working now.
Hi Ian,
I think it’s going to the right place, no? Nothing bounced back and this is the email I’ve always used for you.
IMG_7454.jpeg

BrianGGG

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2022
On the Workout tab for a run, I don't suppose that it's possible to configure the length of a "lap"?
It looks like it's hard-coded at 1 mile, but it would be nice if I could see pace/heart, etc. at smaller intervals like every 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile, etc.

I can see intervals when I have set up an Interval Run, but even then it would be nice to sub-divide by a configurable amount rather than Lap or Interval.

If this is not possible, could this go on the (long) list of future enhancements as a low priority item?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.