Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgmooij

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
Maybe it is the setting for distance alert; Under Settings, Other settings under Auto-lap it says “Laps are the same length as distance alerts (even if the distance alert is disabled).”

Right Ian?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
On the Workout tab for a run, I don't suppose that it's possible to configure the length of a "lap"?
It looks like it's hard-coded at 1 mile, but it would be nice if I could see pace/heart, etc. at smaller intervals like every 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile, etc.

I can see intervals when I have set up an Interval Run, but even then it would be nice to sub-divide by a configurable amount rather than Lap or Interval.

If this is not possible, could this go on the (long) list of future enhancements as a low priority item?
The lap length is the same as the distance alert notification frequency, so if you change that to 1/2 mile for example, then you will see 1/2 mile laps in the summary screens for future workouts.

BrianGGG

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2022
The lap length is the same as the distance alert notification frequency, so if you change that to 1/2 mile for example, then you will see 1/2 mile laps in the summary screens for future workouts.
Thanks. That’s awesome. I didn’t know this fact.

It still might be nice to add a separate Lap Length option some day ...

Reactions: cfc

WesFromParis

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
Hi,
I know a few people have reported this already. AOD freezes when my wrist is lowered. I’m on version 5.3.4, watchOS 10.4, iOS 17.4.1 with AOD enabled in the Screen Options menu. Hard rebooting the watch along with my phone didn’t help. I also tried to turn on WOD in Background App Refresh in the watch app but it didn’t change anything.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi,
I know a few people have reported this already. AOD freezes when my wrist is lowered. I’m on version 5.3.4, watchOS 10.4, iOS 17.4.1 with AOD enabled in the Screen Options menu. Hard rebooting the watch along with my phone didn’t help. I also tried to turn on WOD in Background App Refresh in the watch app but it didn’t change anything.
Yes, Apple changed/broke something in watchOS 10.4 which for some people prevents the app from updating the screen when the watch is lowered.

I have built a beta with a possible workaround for this. It rarely happens for me so it's hard to know if it fixes the issue but a couple of people are currently trying it. If it works for them then I will release it to all beta testers. If anyone is interested in trying this version before that (including current beta testers) then please let me know at info@workoutdoors.net

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
I just had a weird bug with the latest version which I haven’t seen before (using a series 7 with latest watchOS). I did a long walk (4.5 hours) and had the app track the whole thing. After I had finished and saved the workout, the WorkOutDoors menu page kept popping up on my watch every time I put my wrist down, so rather than it being the watch face it was the WorkOutDoors app despite me force closing it, it made no difference. I had to restart the watch to sort it. Not sure if you have seen this issue before?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I just had a weird bug with the latest version which I haven’t seen before (using a series 7 with latest watchOS). I did a long walk (4.5 hours) and had the app track the whole thing. After I had finished and saved the workout, the WorkOutDoors menu page kept popping up on my watch every time I put my wrist down, so rather than it being the watch face it was the WorkOutDoors app despite me force closing it, it made no difference. I had to restart the watch to sort it. Not sure if you have seen this issue before?
I have heard of this occasionally over the years but not for a few months. Glad that rebooting the watch fixed it.

Reactions: aldo82

Jenzaah

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
Is there an option to have auto-pause while swimming indoor?
It seem's that the lap time's are spot on, but the average laptime is quit off if you have some time between the laps.

I also vote for Multi-sport mode / Triathlon.
Love the app!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Is there an option to have auto-pause while swimming indoor?
It seem's that the lap time's are spot on, but the average laptime is quit off if you have some time between the laps.

I also vote for Multi-sport mode / Triathlon.
Love the app!
Sorry, that is not possible at the moment. Although in the future I may add an option to make the overall time just the sum of the lap times that watchOS provides to the app, which would effectively be an auto-pause. However watchOS only provides lap times after each lap (often a long time after the lap!) so it would seem like the time wasn't updating during the workout. It may be useful afterwards though.

Glad you like the app!

Reactions: Jenzaah

Circuitin

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
Is there any date to fix the Freeze bug? Is impossible to run with it, i have written to you a couple of days ago to get the beta fix, because that way is impossible.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Is there any date to fix the Freeze bug? Is impossible to run with it, i have written to you a couple of days ago to get the beta fix, because that way is impossible.
Did you send to the correct email address: info@workoutdoors.net? Lots of people get the .net extension wrong. I have given the beta to everyone who has asked.

Alternatively DM me your email address and I will add you to the beta program.

lukino30

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
Hey. I am using Stryd as power and cadence sensor and this gets exported to Apple fitness app but in WOD it seems to be ok, also cadence and power is same in Apple Fitness as in WOD. Any ideas ? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hey. I am using Stryd as power and cadence sensor and this gets exported to Apple fitness app but in WOD it seems to be ok, also cadence and power is same in Apple Fitness as in WOD. Any ideas ? TIA
Sorry about that. The vertical oscillation and ground contact data in Apple's system when using Stryd is strange. It is a problem with the way the app is interpreting the data from Stryd. I spent most of last year asking them for help with it and they were as unhelpful as possible.

I eventually got a workaround that fixed most of the problems but that is the only one remaining. I will fix it at some time (even if I make the app use the data from the watch instead of from Stryd) but it isn't high on my to-do list at the moment. Sorry.

In the meantime please use the data in WOD instead of in Apple's Health system.

lukino30

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
Sorry about that. The vertical oscillation and ground contact data in Apple's system when using Stryd is strange. It is a problem with the way the app is interpreting the data from Stryd. I spent most of last year asking them for help with it and they were as unhelpful as possible.

I eventually got a workaround that fixed most of the problems but that is the only one remaining. I will fix it at some time (even if I make the app use the data from the watch instead of from Stryd) but it isn't high on my to-do list at the moment. Sorry.

In the meantime please use the data in WOD instead of in Apple's Health system.
Okay I will. Its not that big of a problem just wanted to know if its problem on my side or just general problem among many users. Thanks for quick reply and have a nice day.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Glad to hear it. So will it be corrected in the next version ?
Thanks a lot
Hopefully. So far everyone who has tried it has reported success.

However I probably won't release it soon because the early indications are that Apple have changed/broken something in the watchOS 10.5 beta, which makes the complications not appear. So I will probably hold fire to see what happens on that front and if they do not fix it in a future beta then I will release a version with both workarounds (assuming I can workaround the watchOS 10.5 issue).

Reactions: Miggui

co05

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2024
Hi! I have recently been using Workoutdoors to replace Apple Workout previously. I am very happy with the application, however when I look at the GPS track of my outings, I observe that the track is not natural, there are several zig-zags, while with Apple Workout the track was more straight and natural. The metrics are however consistent so it is not a big problem, but where can this problem come from in terms of the GPS trace?

I show examples with screenshots: the first is a GPS track from Workoutdoors, the second is a GPS track from Apple Workout.

IMG_9500.png IMG_9501.png

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi! I have recently been using Workoutdoors to replace Apple Workout previously. I am very happy with the application, however when I look at the GPS track of my outings, I observe that the track is not natural, there are several zig-zags, while with Apple Workout the track was more straight and natural. The metrics are however consistent so it is not a big problem, but where can this problem come from in terms of the GPS trace?

I show examples with screenshots: the first is a GPS track from Workoutdoors, the second is a GPS track from Apple Workout.

View attachment 2372787 View attachment 2372788
Apple's native workout app smooths the track after the workout to make it look better. This doesn’t affect the distances during a workout because the smoothing is done afterwards and also because both apps use the pedometer anyway (although you also have the option to switch to use GPS in WorkOutDoors).

The smoothing algorithm has improved a lot over the years but still sometimes cuts corners etc. I prefer to show the raw GPS positions as reported by watchOS. Although this is partly because the sort of smoothing that Apple does is very complex and beyond what I could do!

co05

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2024
Apple's native workout app smooths the track after the workout to make it look better. This doesn’t affect the distances during a workout because the smoothing is done afterwards and also because both apps use the pedometer anyway (although you also have the option to switch to use GPS in WorkOutDoors).

The smoothing algorithm has improved a lot over the years but still sometimes cuts corners etc. I prefer to show the raw GPS positions as reported by watchOS. Although this is partly because the sort of smoothing that Apple does is very complex and beyond what I could do!

Okay, thank you very much for the explanation. It's true that it's purely cosmetic, the measurements seem completely realistic. Thanks a lot!

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
That’s reassuring for me at least because I worry that there is some obscure combination of user inputs that is not being handled correctly.

Maybe try reinstalling the watch app or unpairing the watch. I’m not optimistic that either will help but they may be worth trying as they sometimes fix random issues.

So for what ever reason, this issue has completely gone away. It hasn't failed to start a single run since I posted here a few weeks ago. I haven't made any changes to settings, haven't done any OS updates and I haven't changed my routine. I'm hesitant to even report because my next run will probably fail. Hahaha

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Is it possible to export a workout to f.e. csv or excel? I like to compare multiple runs in graphs to see my progress

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Is it possible to export a workout to f.e. csv or excel? I like to compare multiple runs in graphs to see my progress
Sorry, that is not possible. As far as I know there is no standard format for csv files containing workouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.