Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Direct link to WOWS (4K overclocked). It seems acceptable (similar to 960M). But no real iGPU headroom:

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Maybe the RX 5600 will also do the 4K lows at 60fps.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lol, don’t fall the the build your own Tier 10 Puerto Rico Cruiser, to earn this boat you’d have to live on the game for the duration or buy it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lol, don’t fall the the build your own Tier 10 Puerto Rico Cruiser, to earn this boat you’d have to live on the game for the duration or buy it.

Update, this was described as a free ship. HaHa. I am pissed at War Gaming at the moment. I had read online something posted erroneously that the Puerto Rico took 32M points to build. This info was not included in game, or I missed it. Anyway as a casual player in the game, I decided that the $90 investment for build boosters was acceptable. The only problem is that the figure was not accurate and at the end of the event, my ship was not completed, and WG offered another $90 to complete the ship.

Yes they did give some other things away like two premium ships and some signals, but I would not have chosen to buy these ships on their own and I'm certainly not going to pay $180 total for a Tier 10 cruiser. And for them to be listing items as Christmas Gifts, that have to be earned is ridiculous. So War Gaming is in my dog house... as usual. Their prices have gotten ridiculous for upper tier premium ships. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since nobody replied, I am able to play World of Warships on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina. So yeah it works.
Boot Camp?

The players in this game during Random Matches wants to make me scream. The number one error is not judging tactical positioning, driving into the firing range of multiple enemy ships where they can focus fire and kill you in short order. It’s so simple but so difficult for players to figure this out. It’s not like fast reflexes will save you.

The other issue is not knowing what the strangers on your team will do, you can’t rely on them to advance when they should. On the 2 zone maps consisting of just the bases, I advocated stay grouped and let them rush to us, usually in 1s and 2s.

• I primarily play battleships. Had a situation where it was 3v2, of comparably equal ships and yet my team mates opted to run away.
  • A couple of days ago I was called a coward by a guy who thought it was prudent to rush the home base with 3 ships in it including a battleship that was 2 levels above us. o_O

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
No Bootcamp, straight from the finder.

Playing random is frustrating. Yeah. You gotta communicate a lot at the beginning, asking or telling the people what to do.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No Bootcamp, straight from the finder.

Playing random is frustrating. Yeah. You gotta communicate a lot at the beginning, asking or telling the people what to do.
I do that often, and sometimes I’m listened to and sometimes not. :) In a 2 home zone map, I’ll frequently say “let them rush to us, group up and focus fire”. Frequently the enemy blunders into range in 1s and 2s and they are destroyed quickly.

I’ll say in the typical map that has 2 home zones and 3 Capture zones, that statistically, the team that captures all three zones first has an advantage because then, the team that owns the zone can stand back and pound anyone who tries to capture said zone. So much counts on having DDs who knows what they are doing, an jnow not to try to take a zone where they are vastly out numbered.

Recently there was a battle where a DD was capturing the middle zone, and if you can get it done before the enemy shows up, great, but there were 5 enemy ships advancing on the zone, I told him to abandon, and he did. We concentrated on an end zone and won the battle. :)

If I critique myself, I am usually on the defensive side, Sometimes too defensive in a BB. I don’t rush out there because I been in so many games where I am just pounded in the last 5 min of the game. I see too often lone ships plowing into the range of 3 or more enemy ships. And because I can’t trust the competency of strangers, there are times when I should be more offensive in hindsight, but I wasn't. I place a lot of my calculation on engage or not based on pure numbers and levels of opposing ships. If it’s 2v3 of equivalent ships I’m hesitant to engage unless you can hit one, and not be pounded by all 3 in return.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
The playstyle also depends on your ship. If you play BBs your range and armour dictates your tactics. On the other hand if you are a DD your visibility and torpedo range dictates the playing style. Find the ships that fit your style and upgrade them with a corresponding captain. If you like playing defensively stay back at the middle of your team if you can. Hunt cruisers as your main goal and leave enemy BBs out unless the show the broadside. Try American or German BBs for long range fights. And make sure your favourite BB is a real full size battleship and not just a pretending battle cruiser. Oh and try to play ships, countries and classes you don’t like, just to see what they are like, what they are good for and what their weak spots are. This is very helpful to attack them next time you play your favorite BB.
[automerge]1583352641[/automerge]
Oh and BBs should stay together at the beginning. Don’t rush in alone making you a perfect target. A lone BB is the perfect practice range for the enemy. Let DDs spot for you. You can kill enemies from far away anyway. Unless you are a German BB with torpedos and great secondaries, then you can brawl after the first 10 or so minutes when the DDs are taken out. Otherwise they will just torp and light you into a sinking torch if you get your big slow BB too close.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I won 5 battles in a row this morning. Then Random Battles don’t suck so much. :D
Seriously, kamikaze players are a routine with RBs. They just don’t understand firing range and blundering into an enemy group of ship’s firing ranges.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I won 5 battles in a row this morning. Then Random Battles don’t suck so much. :D
Seriously, kamikaze players are a routine with RBs. They just don’t understand firing range and blundering into an enemy group of ship’s firing ranges.
I've not had an experience with kamikaze players yet. But then I don't play on a regular basis.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've not had an experience with kamikaze players yet. But then I don't play on a regular basis.
It’s just players who drive towards a group of enemy ships without regard for their survival or apparently knowledge of firing ranges and the entire enemy group ends up shooting at the single ship. I also call this a suicide run.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It’s just players who drive towards a group of enemy ships without regard for their survival or apparently knowledge of firing ranges and the entire enemy group ends up shooting at the single ship. I also call this a suicide run.

I‘ve done it twice in the 4yrs I’ve been playing. I run it in BootCamp in Win 10 on a 2017 iMac i5 3.8ghz 32g ram and a Radeon 580. I get great performance as long as I keep the BootCamp drivers up to date on AMD’s site. Both times were a calculated decision to take out another BB and payed off, but they were isolated. I’m in a Clan with my 2 sons. I play strictly British and German BB’s. One for when I’m in the mood to burn others to the bottom, the other when I want to have a slugfest.

Never noticed this thread before as I must admit Mac and Gaming don’t really connect with me. Just happened to pop in this afternoon. Then I noticed the Original Poster, and thought I’d chime in. ?

I agree with all your posts. Do you ever play Ranked? I’m in the current season with the HMS Lyon. I don’t do well in Tier IX/X matches. I prefer to stay around Tier 5-7. I play the HMS Iron Duke quite a bit. I have no Tier X ships at all.

It‘s fun when I play with my sons one is a BB player, the other is Mr. Heavy Cruiser. They are mountains above me in their strangely. Wargaming does irritate me in many of their actions. The Russian BB’s are ridiculously OP.

What line of BB’s do you favor?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
My top list: I love the fast and stealthy torp spitting Japanese DDs, Fubuki and Akizuki are great. Love the light British cruisers like Danae and Emerald cause they just feel like big DDs although they are fragile as glass. I love the German fast firing all angles cruisers like Königsberg and Nurnberg for hunting down and surprise oneshotting other cruisers from across the map. The great Commonwealth cruiser Perth I got in a supercontainer is a fire starting torch like no other but thin like paper. And I love big fat German BBs like Bayern and Tirpitz when I am in the mood for heavyweight fights and close range brawls.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I‘ve done it twice in the 4yrs I’ve been playing. I run it in BootCamp in Win 10 on a 2017 iMac i5 3.8ghz 32g ram and a Radeon 580. I get great performance as long as I keep the BootCamp drivers up to date on AMD’s site. Both times were a calculated decision to take out another BB and payed off, but they were isolated. I’m in a Clan with my 2 sons. I play strictly British and German BB’s. One for when I’m in the mood to burn others to the bottom, the other when I want to have a slugfest.

Never noticed this thread before as I must admit Mac and Gaming don’t really connect with me. Just happened to pop in this afternoon. Then I noticed the Original Poster, and thought I’d chime in. ?

I agree with all your posts. Do you ever play Ranked? I’m in the current season with the HMS Lyon. I don’t do well in Tier IX/X matches. I prefer to stay around Tier 5-7. I play the HMS Iron Duke quite a bit. I have no Tier X ships at all.

It‘s fun when I play with my sons one is a BB player, the other is Mr. Heavy Cruiser. They are mountains above me in their strangely. Wargaming does irritate me in many of their actions. The Russian BB’s are ridiculously OP.

What line of BB’s do you favor?
I play all lines but my best win rates tend to be in the German line, right now exclusievly battleships. That said, in a recently acquired tier 9 Iowa, a good ship that I currently have a 75% win rate which is very unusual. I expect as I get in more battles with it, my win rate will fall to a more normal range of winning 35-60%.

I have some serious critiques I previously mentioned. Destroyers capable of 10-20 torpedo salvos is just nuts. I hate’m This was for game balancing and imo it’s seriously unrealistic. When I play a session when I lose 3 battles in a row, I normally take a break Until the next day.

I think 3 tier games are a bad idea especially when you are in the bottom tier of the match. I think the worst is being an 8 with tier 10s. You never want to be leading, because virtually everyone will shoot at you as the low tier ship.
[automerge]1588295217[/automerge]
My top list: I love the fast and stealthy torp spitting Japanese DDs, Fubuki and Akizuki are great. Love the light British cruisers like Danae and Emerald cause they just feel like big DDs although they are fragile as glass. I love the German fast firing all angles cruisers like Königsberg and Nurnberg for hunting down and surprise oneshotting other cruisers from across the map. The great Commonwealth cruiser Perth I got in a supercontainer is a fire starting torch like no other but thin like paper. And I love big fat German BBs like Bayern and Tirpitz when I am in the mood for heavyweight fights and close range brawls.

For myself DDs are the hardest ship type to play. You really need to know what you are doing to consistently do well in them. in some battles you can just reak havoc in them if you are good.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I play all lines but my best win rates tend to be in the German line, right now exclusievly battleships. That said, in a recently acquired tier 9 Iowa, a good ship that I currently have a 75% win rate which is very unusual. I expect as I get in more battles with it, my win rate will fall to a more normal range of winning 35-60%.

I have some serious critiques I previously mentioned. Destroyers capable of 10-20 torpedo salvos is just nuts. I hate’m This was for game balancing and imo it’s seriously unrealistic. When I play a session when I lose 3 battles in a row, I normally take a break Until the next day.

I think 3 tier games are a bad idea especially when you are in the bottom tier of the match. I think the worst is being an 8 with tier 10s. You never want to be leading, because virtually everyone will shoot at you as the low tier ship.
[automerge]1588295217[/automerge]

For myself DDs are the hardest ship type to play. You really need to know what you are doing to consistently do well in them. in some battles you can just reak havoc in them if you are good.

I agree on the 3 Tier issues. I've been in that Tier 8 scenario before. This has been a Wargaming issue since the beginning. They have tried to make things better in patches over the years but it's never been fixed. The Iowa is nice. I stopped the American line at the Colorado. I like it quite a bit with the engine mod. It has the big 16" guns and you don't get stuck in those 3 Tier scenarios you mentioned. The American BB's are tough to citadel and have good broadside fire power in close. You'll enjoy the Iowa. 75% is a nice percentage. If you take all 1234 matches I've played over the past 4 yrs I'm around a 48% average. I do better in Clan play and Ranked when it's below Tier IX. My largest issue is still ending up off by myself and getting punished by a DD. I need to stick closer to other BB's earlier in a match, but it's hard for me.

I've tried DD's a few times. I won a T-61 in a crate last fall wich is a pretty boss DD. I just could not get into the style of play with a DD. I tried like 2 dozen battles. Guess I'm just not a Torp Guy. I've never been good at embracing the strategy of Concealment. I prefer the in your face style of play. ;)

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

The Perth is a fun ship if you can stay afloat. My Tirpitz (B) is my favorite German BB. Play the Gneisenau quite a bit as well. Although I still find British HE the most satisfying. I love burning ships to the bottom in my my Iron Duke at the lower levels and my Monarch and Lion at the upper levels. My youngest son is constantly trying to get me to Tier Up to the Conqueror but I think Tier IX will be it for me.

My oldest plays a few IJN ships, no DD's though. ....and yes, the firing rate of the Konigsberg is addicting. My oldest will tell you all day long how magical his Des Moines is though. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I agree on the 3 Tier issues. I've been in that Tier 8 scenario before. This has been a Wargaming issue since the beginning. They have tried to make things better in patches over the years but it's never been fixed. The Iowa is nice. I stopped the American line at the Colorado. I like it quite a bit with the engine mod. It has the big 16" guns and you don't get stuck in those 3 Tier scenarios you mentioned. The American BB's are tough to citadel and have good broadside fire power in close. You'll enjoy the Iowa. 75% is a nice percentage. If you take all 1234 matches I've played over the past 4 yrs I'm around a 48% average. I do better in Clan play and Ranked when it's below Tier IX. My largest issue is still ending up off by myself and getting punished by a DD. I need to stick closer to other BB's earlier in a match, but it's hard for me.

I've tried DD's a few times. I won a T-61 in a crate last fall wich is a pretty boss DD. I just could not get into the style of play with a DD. I tried like 2 dozen battles. Guess I'm just not a Torp Guy. I've never been good at embracing the strategy of Concealment. I prefer the in your face style of play. ;)
If you ever get a North Carolina, that is an significant adjustment in aiming lead. If you normally lead a ship by 15 clicks, for the NC you have to lead by 20, this is because the shells arch way up in the sky as compared to adjoining Tier US battleships, which I think is just a way Wargamimg used to try to make this ship harder to play.

I’ve found that fast battleships ships are a distinct advantage. I love the Gneisinau and the Scharnhorst.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
If you ever get a North Carolina, that is an significant adjustment in aiming lead. If you normally lead a ship by 15 clicks, for the NC you have to lead by 20, this is because the shells arch way up in the sky as compared to adjoining Tier US battleships, which I think is just a way Wargamimg used to try to make this ship harder to play.

I’ve found that fast battleships ships are a distinct advantage. I love the Gneisinau and the Scharnhorst.

Thanks, yes, my sons warned me about the height trajectory of the shells. ;)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Figured out what I can do with Nvidia PhysX and Surround. Now I can play WoWS on two 27" monitors for a combined resolution of 3840x1080. Very cool to use both monitors and see so much more on each flank.

Just some random screenshots from today.

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.05.01 - 18.50.31.88.png
World of Warships Screenshot 2020.05.01 - 18.55.53.42.png
World of Warships Screenshot 2020.05.01 - 19.06.32.61.png
World of Warships Screenshot 2020.05.01 - 19.06.54.84.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.