Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The Alaska is definitely a dangerous ship. Sounds like you son is having fun. Clan play is much different than Random Play. The Rules to live by I posted back in this tread are Random Battle Rules To Live By. ;)
It’s really nice to get in group of players who understand the right time to surge, versus group hugging in the back field while the enemy proceeds to take all of the zones. ?

I played some ranked battles in World of Tanks a long time ago as part of a clan and it was definitely a higher level of play. I choose to not get that dedicated in WoWS but then, I have to put up with Random Battles and people who just don’t understand tactical distancing, my term. :) Last night I was on the left flank of a battle and 2 out of 3 (I was no.3) of the battleships just drove into the solid range of the larger enemy group and were promptly killed.

I think the worst thing about WoWS structure is the ranking, when a tier 9 cruiser is so much greater than a tier 7 battleship. I don’t think they should be facing each other. My belief is at that level there should only be a 2 tier spread in battles. And even with a tier 9 battleship vs tier 9 cruiser, one on one, they can burn you down when you are getting hit with 10 shells every 5 seconds, at least it feels that way. Don’t get me started about the number of torpedoes destroyers carry. ?

Anyway, when I found myself as a 7 BB in a 9 battle, I just cruise around the backfield looking for opportunities. This is definitely a case of first seen, first killed. I managed to kill a 9 BB last night, of course he was already close to death. Then I was only one of two 8s in a 10 battle, bastards. :)

When I max out my BB lines, and if I’m still playing, most likely I’ll start working on cruisers again.

This looks interesting:

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This looks interesting:

Very interresting:
One team will have a low number (4-6) of ships of Tiers VI-VII, and the opposing team will have 6-12 ships of Tiers V-VI. The usual class symmetry between teams is also not mandatory.

This sounds like for either team to prevail will require some team work, more so than RBs. I can see the smaller team grouping into a single group to repel the larger group. Focus Fire is a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Very interresting:
One team will have a low number (4-6) of ships of Tiers VI-VII, and the opposing team will have 6-12 ships of Tiers V-VI. The usual class symmetry between teams is also not mandatory.

This sounds like for either team to prevail will require some team work, more so than RBs. I can see the larger team grouping into a single large group to repel the larger group. Focus Fire is a must.

Yes, my understanding is that this is precisely designed to teach Team Building Skills. I was not expecting Wargaming to create such a useful tool.

There is hope. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just happened to notice that they were doing Ranked Battles with Tier 8 ships. I tried twice, lost twice and although I like that they are all the same tier, in a 8v8 match, it appears the same idiots are there and you can lose much faster if you team has no clue what it's doing. :oops: I'll probably just stick with Random Battles.

nhudson

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
To bump an old thread, does anyone play the game from the MAC Wargamming centre? Im playing via bootcamp, but it annoys me having to log in and out of windows/mac sides.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With update 10.0, they have reworked Commander skills and you can have a Commander trained on multiple ships or ship types? Not sure, will look at it today. It activated on 20 Jan.

First glance it kind of looks like you can put a commander on multiple ship types, but then the question is must they be trained for a specific ship? In other words I'm looking at a Battleship Commander who has 13 skill points, that can be applied to all ship types, so even though he is a BB commander, he could be placed on a DD or a cruiser. So they talked about reduced training prices, so I'll ASSUME that he/she could be trained for 3 ships of different types? Hmm

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had a naval battle were the huge waves of torpedoes shot at me in my battleship came from invisible destroyers. I considered uninstalling this. Like World of Tanks, maybe it’s time to take a break from this too.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Well I like playing Japanese DDs because of what you just said. LOL! The spotting range is way below my torpedo range. When I play BBs I always check who the enemy is on the loading screen. Always know the enemy. And count the spotted DDs. If you see two DDs on the map and you know there must be one more always assume he is watching you. If I don't see him I always zig zag and speed up and down. Use the WASD cheat.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well I like playing Japanese DDs because of what you just said. LOL! The spotting range is way below my torpedo range. When I play BBs I always check who the enemy is on the loading screen. Always know the enemy. And count the spotted DDs. If you see two DDs on the map and you know there must be one more always assume he is watching you. If I don't see him I always zig zag and speed up and down. Use the WASD cheat.
It’s just one of those completely unrealistic game balancing features Wargamimg gave to DDs to make them competitive. I think what pisses me off the most are hugely unrealistic torpedo salvos. I could better handle 2-4 torps, not 10-20 in a salvo. I frequently zig and zag when kiting, but these freakng large salvoes it hardly makes any difference.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had an amazing day winning 7 of 9 matches playing exclusively battleships. I must have been extremely lucky to be placed on a string of random teams with actual competent players. :)

I’ve been saying that I‘ve wanted to quit this game since 2019, yet… lol. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Today got my ass handed to me... I hate this game. :D

When you get to the T9-10 level, what you get are destroyers with 20 torpedoes, and cruisers who can sit behind a smoke screen and machine gun you to death with a steady stream of bullets that burn your ship down.

This is definitely a level where you'd better be in a large group of ships together and focusing fire. The half ass approach of everyone doing their own things boils down to one pervasive tactic that wins, the largest group in a tactical fight usually wins, period, end of story.

The wild card are destroyers who go capture zones uncontested and as a lone battleship, they will throw smoke, a huge salvo of torps your way and you are either done or close to done if they guessed right. There is something fundamentally wrong when a destroyer can out do a battleship as a matter of routine. Huntn, you might say, don't be wimpy, but it's not just the torpedoes, it's invisible destroyers, due to the sight mechanic in game. ?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
A BB is going to kill a cruiser, who is going to kill a destroyer, who is going to kill a BB. I think its a fine balance. :) It all depends on the team. First thing I say when I am in a game is "guys please stay together". If we all break up we lose. If we stay together in one or two groups we win.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A BB is going to kill a cruiser, who is going to kill a destroyer, who is going to kill a BB. I think its a fine balance. :) It all depends on the team. First thing I say when I am in a game is "guys please stay together". If we all break up we lose. If we stay together in one or two groups we win.
I'm sure you figure I disagree, it's the destroyers that are deadly to BBs which for the sake of accuracy or if not that, general enjoyment, BBsshould not be quaking in their boots when they face a DD by themselves. It should be the DD that is quaking, so Wargaming gives the DD both invisible and have 20 torp salvos... :oops: :)

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, but on the other hand, the BB should never be alone. Unless this is your playing style. Then you got to play a BB with powerfull fast firing secondaries with big range and upgrade those even more, then you have a chance to kill a destroyer by yourself. You just need one good shot. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, but on the other hand, the BB should never be alone. Unless this is your playing style. Then you got to play a BB with powerfull fast firing secondaries with big range and upgrade those even more, then you have a chance to kill a destroyer by yourself. You just need one good shot. :)

I never maneuver to be by myself if it’s possible. That is one of the golden rules. A problem is they (DDs) look like 100’ yachts. ;) My experience is that it usually takes much more than that, but yes a lucky citadel shot might do it, or 95% of it, and that actuality you’d never be trying to kill them with your main guns if they were anywhere close, but that is what we end up doing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes another rant… :p
Wargaming in WoW is now renting super ships. I’m not renting a super ship. The day you can buy a super ship will be the final nail in the coffin for pay to win at least on the WoW side. WoT went bonkers over a year ago, and yeah when I was stil playing that I spent more than a couple hundred dollars on premium tanks, when the premium tanks that actually became better than stock tanks started appearing.

Prior to that premium tanks helped you earn more credits but we’re slightly under spec as compared to the earned tanks. It became a constant stream of buy this new tank for an advantage. I finally choked off that addiction.

Actually in WoW, besides the invisible DDs with their torp salvos, which besides I’m don‘t feel good enough to play, at least am not motivated enough to apply myself at that tier, I don’t feel the need to participate in the $$$ dry dock ship scam, the one that used to say, get a ship for free (ha-ha). For most ships besides the DDs, I don’t really feel that buying a ship, besides the premiums I already own, don‘t give a significant advantage n the way WoW works but they do earn more credits.

So much more is dependent on the quality of your team and in Random battles which I mostly play it’s a total crapshoot what kind of team you end up on.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, the game is all about your team. No need to spend money to have a slightly better ship if your team is bad. I don't play enough, especially now with no Mac support, to have a buddy to play with but a DD and a cruiser, or a cruiser and a BB would be a great tag team if they play together and both know how to use their ships.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I just tried Parallels to run Windows and play WOWS on my M1 MacBook Air and what can I say, I am very impressed! It's runs smoothly and has a better fps rate than my wife's old HP Windows laptop. Wow. Parallels is so easy to install and easy to use, man I should have done this much sooner. Now I just need to wait for a discount to buy the key.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just tried Parallels to run Windows and play WOWS on my M1 MacBook Air and what can I say, I am very impressed! It's runs smoothly and has a better fps rate than my wife's old HP Windows laptop. Wow. Parallels is so easy to install and easy to use, man I should have done this much sooner. Now I just need to wait for a discount to buy the key.
Ok, call me impressed. :)

Of note I’m still playing WoWS and enjoying it, still cursing it on occasion, the usual culprits, subs with their BS homing torps, and invisible destroyers with huge torpedo volleys, unlike anything ever seen during WW2/Korea time frame, even unlikely today.

While World of Tanks sucks worse than ever… the blatant monetization, and the undermining of their classical tanks as power and armor creep run rampant. Oh, no we are not going to buff your former ”killer” IS-3, we are going to SELL you a new IS-3 variant, 🤬 Bastards…

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After playing battleships exclusively for at least 3 years, something motivated me to break out my cruisers and I’m finding them to be a refreshing change of pace. Now the length I survive in a match driving a cruiser is usually less, than when driving a battleship. Most cruisers can’t stand the pounding that a battleship can, so one of my primary motivators is to find a place to hide while shooting exposed ships, driving around behind islands.

I’m still pissed about destroyers, yesterday was killed by 8 torps from an invisible destroyer. And subs are a close second. with their homing torpedoes. In my cruiser I could easily dodge sub torps until they start curving towards me. 🤯

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I like playing all three types. When my DD gets blown to peaces the fifth time in a row because no cruisers support me then I switch to plying cruisers and support my teams DDs and hunting down enemy DDs. LOL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.