Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Macrumors said:
Epochtimes reports on a global alumnium shortage this year and next.

According to one anonymous submission, tight aluminum supplies are contributing to delays in production in current and future aluminum-based Macs.

that must be why they started wrapping my lunch in wax paper! ... I was wondering about that

Parikh1234

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
LF NJ USA
Patmian212 said:
this is the most retarded rumor ever

totally agreed. This is last possible reason macs are delayed short of bill gates buying all the new macs and throwing them into the ocean or something.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Like others have said, this does seem a bit absurd. Most likely the reason for the delays (from the rumors/speculation I've read) is the processors/heat dissipation, and not an aluminum shortage.

Though this is a bit humorous. :p

El Duderino

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
psst!...havent you guys heard, they came up with a miracle cure for the heat issue and the G5 PB is coming out tomorow :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
El Duderino said:
psst!...havent you guys heard, they came up with a miracle cure for the heat issue and the G5 PB is coming out tomorow :D
What, a big yellow "Caution HOT" sticker.

With a warning that the computer may toast your nuts if placed in your lap.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Tell the person who submitted this to remove their tin foil hat.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Sun Baked said:
What, a big yellow "Caution HOT" sticker.

With a warning that the computer may toast your nuts if placed in your lap.

maybe have a special ad around christmas...
roas-ted nuts under your pow-er-book...

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
canadianmacguy said:
...the "aluminum" machines from Apple are probably just aluminum coated, so just a few microns of sprayed aluminum..
Bzzt. They're solid aluminum. Anodized, too.

WM

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
good research but ...

Sun Baked said:
Running short on aluminum scrap, so you will have to send in your beer/coke cans if you want a PowerBook. ;)

just goes to show you can find anything to support any opinion on the internet.

This was MOST LIKELY ALCOA information being fed by Merrill Lynch because they purchased a bunch of ALCOA stock for their portfolio.

To sum up:

Aluminum recycling is NOT considered "scrap" - this is called semi raw mined - which is shavings/scrap at factories - basically unused/unformed sheet metal

Recycled Aluminum is NOT part of the commodity equation. There is a considerable amount of aluminum that is recycled. At last check it was close to 60% of all aluminum formed was recycled. You can Google for better stats.

Aluminum is the MOST abundant mined metal I believe.

If this news ACTUALLY meant something, why haven't there been spikes in ALCOA or other metalurgical stocks (other than Gold) and if there have been has IT BEEN DIRECTLY related to aluminum?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
adzoox said:
This was MOST LIKELY ALCOA information being fed by Merrill Lynch because they purchased a bunch of ALCOA stock for their portfolio.
It was most likely Merrill's long term (for them) speculation forecast, due to China's increased used of the material.

I glanced at some of their numbers and it looked like they expect a minor price spike in 2005 and a drop back down in 2006.

But it wasn't an April Fool's joke... just market speculation.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
603 said:
MacOSRumors suggests that the next PowerBooks will be made of carbon fiber... might be neat, who knows. what's next, ground effects... ?

I heard Apple is adding hydrolics to the new pb's, codename: "bouncy."

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
Counterfit said:
He gets a Whammy :D
I loved that gameshow. I'd be screaming along with the contestant,"No whammy, no whammy, no whammy.....stop!"

Oh, and I agree with the returning the PBook to its roots and dumping the Aluminum for something else. They've done plastic and metal...how about rubber?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
johnnowak said:
I wish they'd go back to plastic. It feels better and doesn't scratch nearly as easily. And maybe go back to black too. Black is a good shade for computers methinks. Or brown. Mm.

Brown!?! iTurd? TurdBook? What a horrible color choice. (Well, okay, a deep dark chocolate brown would be... no. No brown.

bradz_id

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2002
Tasmania, Australia
Why was this even posted? a shortage of Aluminium will have NO effect on computers. My boat before it was fitted out was 700Kg of pure Alu! Boats and planes might see higher prices but that's it.

andale

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
This rumor is accurate!!

I have VERY reliable info directly from an Apple employee who is personally involved with the production and manufacture of ALL new Apple products, and I can assure this forum the "secondary Aluminum market shortage" is in fact responsible for MOST of the delays.

Products affected are ALL new G5 models, all new displays, all new PowerBook models, and (you heard it here first) new iMacs which feature (you guessed it!) all Aluminum enclosures.

There are certainly other rumors (heat/fan issues, etc.) which are ALSO affecting delivery dates, but the Aluminum issues are a BIG factor.

dabeatles

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2003
Macrumors said:
Epochtimes reports on a global alumnium shortage this year and next.

According to one anonymous submission, tight aluminum supplies are contributing to delays in production in current and future aluminum-based Macs.

You've gotta be ****ing kidding me.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
andale said:
How lame is THAT comment?!!
It may have sounded lame, but think about it, most people don't seem to want to believe the rumours surrounding this news article.
I'm inclined to agree with Counterfit. It very well may turn out to be true but few people will believe it until they see some 'proof'.
The most compelling evidence so far seems to be your very articulate and credible sounding post.

i_b_joshua

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Things are getting so crazy now...

The world is comming to an end :eek: :eek:

Aluminum causing the delays....

EVERYBODY START RECYCLING AND DONATING TO APPLE...

Maybe Apple should start it's own recycling company... :confused:

andale

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
Don't kill the messenger...

I've got nothing to gain from relaying this information. My contact at Apple is a long time friend and he's got nothing to gain by giving me this information. Believe me or not, this informations probability for being fact is significantly higher than most of the other posts regarding product delays, which are usually just someone's speculation, or at best, an educated guess.

Someone else referred to me not having any 'proof', and its true, I didn't record the conversation, but how about a small wager? I've never heard or read anything about new iMac designs. If new iMacs are announced and they have Aluminum enclosures, you doubters out there owe me an apology. Fair enough?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.