Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fdml

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Energy

The only problems with aluminium are that its production consumes an gigantic amount of energy and that it is very bad for the environment.

Since the US consumes by far the largest amount of energy and did not sign the kyoto protocoll (to protect the environment) there should be not problem with that.

frem001

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
London
Carbon fibre

johnnowak said:
I wish they'd go back to plastic. It feels better and doesn't scratch nearly as easily. And maybe go back to black too. Black is a good shade for computers methinks. Or brown. Mm.

Heard a rumor that apple could be using carbon fibre casings for the new powerbook g5. Given Jonathan Ive's use of new materials this could be possible. Lets hope they come out soon along with a new version of vectorworks. :) :p

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
frem001 said:
Heard a rumor that apple could be using carbon fibre casings for the new powerbook g5. Given Jonathan Ive's use of new materials this could be possible. Lets hope they come out soon along with a new version of vectorworks. :) :p
I hope not. They would be really expensive, and they wouldn't handle the heat very well. I think they'll be aluminum, or some other not-too-expensive metal.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
So after my mini shipping date was just pushed back to May 6 from April 15th (I ordered on march 25th) I called Apple - the guy actually used the "global aluminum shortage" as an excuse for why it's gonna take 5-6 weeks for mini to get here.....WHATEVER

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
gemio17 said:
So after my mini shipping date was just pushed back to May 6 from April 15th (I ordered on march 25th) I called Apple - the guy actually used the "global aluminum shortage" as an excuse for why it's gonna take 5-6 weeks for mini to get here.....WHATEVER

Please put the time of the call, the number you called and the "rep" you spoke to.

I want it to be here - I'm going to "get something done about reps saying stupid things"

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
canadianmacguy said:
I completely agree.. the "aluminum" machines from Apple are probably just aluminum coated, so just a few microns of sprayed aluminum..
a few micron of "sprayed" aluminum?... so what now we have aluminum paint? stop the fud.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
603 said:
MacOSRumors suggests that the next PowerBooks will be made of carbon fiber... might be neat, who knows. what's next, ground effects... ? copy and paste: macosrumors.com/41004A.html

they might be wrong about carbon fiber casings, but they're right about the "Armani Suit" bit. i second the recommendations for going back to black. think not of the dull off-gray of a Dell or IBM machine... more like an inverse iBook, glossy and dangerous. it would look totally stealth.

HM, CARBON Fiber would be some move. I'm not sure that it will be good for heat dissipation, but at least it's considerably rugged. It needs to be well coated though, otherwise te fibers may unravel...

It can also break if hit on a plain straight surface. Just remember, Columbia crashed because the leading edge of the wing (carbon fiber) was cracked up from a piece of foam coming at it at high speed.

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
603 said:
MacOSRumors suggests that the next PowerBooks will be made of carbon fiber... might be neat, who knows. what's next, ground effects... ? copy and paste: macosrumors.com/41004A.html

Carbon Fiber, if the material isn't finished and some of the carbon fiber dust gets into the mobo, kiss the thing goodbye.

Would look cool though!

fishlord

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
fdml said:
The only problems with aluminium are that its production consumes an gigantic amount of energy and that it is very bad for the environment.

Since the US consumes by far the largest amount of energy and did not sign the kyoto protocoll (to protect the environment) there should be not problem with that.

guess it is a good thing that it is infinitely recycleable then. and the states backed out.. not didnt sign. but that protocol is rediculous anyways... buy other peoples extra reduction??? ya that is really helping anything.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm surprised that the idea of Apple starting to collect Aluminum for recycling at its local stores hasn't caught on yet! :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
bennetsaysargh said:
iRecycle a your local apple store :)
ships starting in May...

2007 ;)

WHat is your 'tar?

Looks like a cross between the Ally McBeal dancing baby in an epilleptic seizure and the dancing iPod girl. :D

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
rdowns said:
WHat is your 'tar?

Looks like a cross between the Ally McBeal dancing baby in an epilleptic seizure and the dancing iPod girl. :D

yep, that's it :) still have yet to have time to add in the ipod itself into it.

choogheem

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
iBrodie said:
Maybe if we send Apple enough alumnium cans they will send us some free powerbooks :D Next thing your going to hear is there is a shortage of silicone :p
As a chemistry teacher I'm appalled. :eek:
Ah yes, the wonderful metalloid element silicon. Not a mixture like silicone. But if it were silicone, you would have one waterproof portable.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
No aluminum shortage!

My father-in-law works for Alcoa. I asked him about the rumored aluminum shortage and he just laughed and said "Not hardly!"

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
US not largest contributor to world pollution

fdml said:

True... but the US is not the largest contributor of pollution. Check the charts mate.

cfiechter

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2004
No way, the Al commodities market is quite thick. If the machine were solid Aluminum it wouldn't slow production - not at $1500-$3000 ASPs....

By the way, I just dropped my Powerbook and not have a big-ass dent in the corner thanks to the Aluminum case --- not happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.