Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an Apple Tablet?

• Yes

Votes: 95 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 33.1%

• Total voters

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'll buy it but only if I can run 2.2.1 on it. 3.0 is just too slow. :rolleyes:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
If I can run Final Cut Pro on it easily then maybe, but otherwise its not for me... It will just be a toy.
Now if apple made new mbp and mac pros then the answer would be yes ;)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'll buy it but only if I can run 2.2.1 on it. 3.0 is just too slow. :rolleyes:

That only runs on the iPhone. I've heard that Mac OS 7.6 is what the Tablet will run best with, but it's coming out with 10.6 for some crazy reason (productivity or some crap like that?). I won't buy unless I can downgrade.

Oh, and it has to have a little "i" in front of it.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If it has the right price point, spec then maybe...

If that happens then I guess Im never going to get an i5 iMac:(

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I voted yes. But when I did that I was in my own little world, where the tablet did everything I wanted it to (it even made ice-cream). I also had lots of money.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
No, I would not. But I wouldn't buy any tablet at the moment.
The reason is, people can barely read my handwriting; if I use it to take notes, I find it unlikely any tablet would be able to.

If it were a hybrid that folded into a normal laptop - than yes I would consider it.

Did you every try a Newton? I found that the Newton worked better with my cursive scrawl than it did if I tried to print clearly. Remarkably well, in fact.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I'll buy one even if it's simply a giant iPod Touch - - I'd love to interact with the internet and apps on a bigger touch surface. If Apple adds other cool features, well that's just gravy...

(Imho, I think many people are underestimating how much of a game changer a large scale touch interface will be.)

RGREN

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
in aborder state
Would I buy the new tablet

It would have to be a MAJOR disappointment (features, applications) for me to forego buying one as soon as it is available.

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Probably not.

What I want:

A device, priced between $500 and an entry-level MacBook, that is a media device. That is, it's designed to be a really good ebook reader, movie and music player. Preferably with Apple doing for ebooks what they've done for music and movies.

I already have an iPhone; I don't need a bigger one.

I already have two Apple notebooks; I don't need a third.

What I don't need is something that's more than an iPhone, less than a full-blown computer. I also don't need a full-blown computer in tablet form.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Depends - I wouldn't buy it right away. I would probably wait about 6 months - see what the deal is with the tablet - and wait for an upgrade (so about a year rather than 6 months), a bit of a price drop if it was coming and then get it. The iphone was like $500 or $600 dollars when it came out and now you can get it for 99 or for 199, depending on whether you get the 3g or 3gs.

Basically I'd wait to see if it was just a beautiful product that no one really had a use for but just admired (kind of like the Cube).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Depends - I wouldn't buy it right away. I would probably wait about 6 months - see what the deal is with the tablet - and wait for an upgrade (so about a year rather than 6 months), a bit of a price drop if it was coming and then get it. The iphone was like $500 or $600 dollars when it came out and now you can get it for 99 or for 199, depending on whether you get the 3g or 3gs.

Basically I'd wait to see if it was just a beautiful product that no one really had a use for but just admired (kind of like the Cube).
The iPhone price drop that you are talking about came two years after the product went on sale. Furthermore, it was due to the fact that AT&T increased its subsidy.

As a general proposition, Apple products do not follow the price trajectory assumed in your post. If you see a price drop, then the logical assumption is that a newer more powerful revision is coming soon. It also makes no sense to hold off because you want Apple to get the bugs out first. Version 1.0 Apple products tend to work very well on Day 1. For something like the iPhone or the upcoming slate, bug fixes are distributed electronically.

What it gets down to is this: The only reason to hold off the purchase of a new Apple product is to wait for a specific model that is not jet available. If the model slate that you want is available on Day 1, then pack a picnic basket, get in line, and have fun.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I would only buy it if the price is under $700. Even then, it's hard to justify something like this. It's not a phone, which I will use everyday. It's probably not going to run Mac OS X (rumors) so I won't get a "full computer". If it has a 3G modem, I'll buy it in an instant. I could install Skype or whatever VOIP software and use it as a phone.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
The iPhone price drop that you are talking about came two years after the product went on sale. Furthermore, it was due to the fact that AT&T increased its subsidy.

As a general proposition, Apple products do not follow the price trajectory assumed in your post. If you see a price drop, then the logical assumption is that a newer more powerful revision is coming soon. It also makes no sense to hold off because you want Apple to get the bugs out first. Version 1.0 Apple products tend to work very well on Day 1. For something like the iPhone or the upcoming slate, bug fixes are distributed electronically.

What it gets down to is this: The only reason to hold off the purchase of a new Apple product is to wait for a specific model that is not jet available. If the model slate that you want is available on Day 1, then pack a picnic basket, get in line, and have fun.

Point taken - you're right - the iphone became cheaper because it got subsidized more. But I still think some products get cheaper after a bit of time like say the ipod touch. Also - I still do think it's best to wait about 6 months or a year after an Apple product is out - there are bugs which need to be fixed. The iphone didn't work well at first and I know software updates clear it but why deal with it when you're paying so much.

Anyway - you clearly know more than I do about this stuff, so I'm not going to argue further and expose more ignorance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.