Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPhone 17 Mini Pro Edition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dszakal

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2020
How would it look like?

Let's assume Apple would release a 5.4 inch iPhone 17 Mini Pro Edition

No more <6.1 inch phone would be released before that time. SE would be also 6.1 inch.

Features would be:

• Height would be <=same as iPhone 13 Mini
  • Width would be <=same as iPhone 13 Mini
  • 5.4 inch display
  • Depth would be same as iPhone 17 Pro (6.1 inch or 6.3 inch),
  • BUT: the depth would be constant - no camera bump
  • Because of the larger depth the battery would be significantly larger than the 13 Mini's one
  • It would be at least the same price tag as the 6.1/6.3 inch 17 Pro
Would you buy this in this case (or without a case - pun intended) or not?

Reactions: No_comment

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I had a 12 mini and loved it. While I’d also love to go back to a mini, I’ve noticed my eyesight and has been getting progressively worse over the last 3-4 years. I’ve had to increase the font size on both my MacBook and iPhone 14 Pro just to comfortably read anything more than a foot away.

I can’t really imagine how cramped the mini screen would be with this same font size.

I wouldn’t count on another mini ever being released. They would have replaced the 13 mini instead of discontinuing it.

Reactions: krvld

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Original mini didn't sell well at its original price. Doubt paying just shy of $1000 would help that figure in any way.. 6.1' iPhone will be the smallest configuration available from Apple from now on.. If you look at the competition, none of them offer a device as small as the mini so it's not like they have any interest in that market either

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
How would it look like?

No more
Features would be:

• Height would be
  • Width would be
  • 5.4 inch display
  • Because of the larger depth the battery would be significantly larger than the 13 Mini's one

Depth (actually thickness is the word you’re looking for) was the same on 12 and 13 Mini as on the 6.1” equivalents. Therefore, if this imaginary phone did not have a camera bump it wouldn’t have the same thickness.

This leaves either using camera sensors/lenses which are generations behind (thus, it wouldn’t be a Pro), or making it very thick.

Even if a phone that thick is a marketable option (it isn’t), adding all the features to make it a Pro would lead to a severely compromised battery life.

As much as I loved my 12 Mini, I wouldn’t buy another, not because of the cost but because of painfully inadequate battery life.

Reactions: Timpetus

badarihp

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
How would it look like?

No more
Features would be:

• Height would be
  • Width would be
  • 5.4 inch display
iPhone Mini is packed with powerful features like Screen resolution, PPI, camera, A-chip & more...

We want to see future mini models with latest technology imbedded in it. But, I guess currently Apple is more focused on bigger screens for another 2yrs. Then, we should see if Apple has any plans for smaller screen or a fold technology.

Reactions: OJK

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
After using 12 mini for almost 3 years, I have now moved to a regular 15 and do not miss mini at all. A bigger screen and larger battery are super useful. I limited its charge to 80% and it still easily gets me through the day on a single charge.

I will be curious if Apple came up with a foldable iPhone, but for now will happily stick to 6.1”.

A Pro mini is not a feasible idea both technically and financially, as discussed in multiple threads ever since the original 12 mini came out.

Reactions: Shirasaki and krvld

WindBlast

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2023
I don't see Apple releasing iPhone mini in the next couple of years, and I don't believe we'll ever see iPhone mini Pro edition.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
No! I would not. Mini iPhones are useless to most people. Why use a phone with a screen just slightly larger than a business card? Battery life will be lousy, etc. I know it’s larger than a card, but really. What’s the fascination with a tiny iPhone? One handed use? It’s easier to loose, the camera is not pro and basic at best. An iPhone 5s still may be located…

carlitous.mx

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2023
Cancun
Maybe not a mini Pro but yes a foldable mini...

I currently own a 15 pro max mainly because of two things, the screen size and camera set yet I would gladly move to a foldable mini with one single hi-res sensor (i.e. 48mp). I think of this as a simple all-in-one design for everyday use, not for hi-end pro photographers or videographers.

Imagine one half for the electronics and the other half for full size battery. That would maybe even leave some extra space for nicer stuff like an external selfie screen (no bigger than Apple Watch) for selfie and notifications (a simple one-color-oled display with be enough for me).

Once unfolded a 5x5 inch square screen would be enough for the majority of people (I think). What about widescreen content? well there is half screen viewing or might as well get a mini iPad for that matter... again this is an all around device capable of tackling urgent matters not a workhorse replacement.

Anyway, maybe someday we'll see a foldable iPhone.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
How would it look like?

No more <6.1 inch phone would be released before that time. SE would be also 6.1 inch.

Features would be:

• 5.4 inch display
You don’t mention weight, but given your depth spec it would be significantly heavier than the 12/13 mini. Not great. Given no small-sized alternative, I would probably still begrudgingly buy it (a year later or so). But in my heart I want a phone as small and light as the OG SE.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Why are we talking about the iPhone 17 when we don’t even know what it will look like😋

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Image.jpeg

EmanuelF

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Yes, totally, if mini means 5.8" screen like the iPhone X.
Also the rumours suggest the rest of line-up will get bigger screens so would be wonderful to have something slightly smaller...

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The more I think of it, maybe the iPhone X screen would suit a "new" mini phone, and why not call it midi :)

5.8" and minimal bezels would make it feel a bit small, add a small notch or dynamic island thingy.

Reactions: EmanuelF

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
How would it look like?

Features would be:

• 5.4 inch display
In a heartbeat. I LIKE the size. I have a Nikon w/ appropriate lenses for photography and an iMac for computer tasks. I do NOT want an iPad mini with a modem for a Phone.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I like how the iPhone 12 mini and 13 mini are somewhat the spiritual successor of iPhone 5/5c/5s/SE 2016 but I think I know where this thread will end up in...

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
My pockets love the mini. My eyes don't!

Sorry to see it go, despite my inability to use one.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just looked at my iPhone XS Max while waiting for the mission to finish running.
Oh my god. Those characters are so small compared to the iPad version.
I can’t possibly believe how a mini phone would display it. I would need stylus to do accurate tapping on certain Applications at that point.
So yeah, not only I don’t need a mini iPhone, my primary device is 11” iPad Pro.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'd be happy to buy another mini, especially if it had some (all are not possible in this footprint) of the Pro features. I loved my 13 mini (actually still have it around) and while my 15 Pro is nice, it's still a bit larger than my ideal phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.