Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPhone 17 Mini Pro Edition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
No! I would not. Mini iPhones are useless to most people. Why use a phone with a screen just slightly larger than a business card? Battery life will be lousy, etc. I know it’s larger than a card, but really. What’s the fascination with a tiny iPhone? One handed use? It’s easier to loose, the camera is not pro and basic at best. An iPhone 5s still may be located…
This is a troll post right? For some people smaller/lighter is more desirable, especially if you're close to a Mac or PC most of the day and your phone isn't your primary computing device. And the one handed use like you mentioned. You don't have to worry about getting carpel pinky syndrome. I have a 13 mini and a 15 Pro and the 15 Pro's battery life is not that much better than the 13 mini. The only reason I like the 15 Pro over the mini is the always on display.

• Angry
Reactions: geta and Shirasaki

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
This is a troll post right? For some people smaller/lighter is more desirable, especially if you're close to a Mac or PC most of the day and your phone isn't your primary computing device. And the one handed use like you mentioned. You don't have to worry about getting carpel pinky syndrome. I have a 13 mini and a 15 Pro and the 15 Pro's battery life is not that much better than the 13 mini. The only reason I like the 15 Pro over the mini is the always on display.
Not a troll post, just curious. Just not sure why a mini is so desirable when there are several much better options out there. Better cameras, better CPU, better display…My iPhone is my main computing device, mostly. I have an iPad Pro 12.9” and I still use my iPhone more. I also have a 27” iMac that I hardly use as well. I don’t have the patience to sit at a desk to work on a computer that is stationary. I’ve seen big guys with large hands using a tiny phone.. I think, what’s wrong with this picture? My iPhone is my camera and photo editor. I suppose if one has no interest in photography, then a little iPhone used for texting and phone calls is ok if the camera hardly gets used I suppose. I don’t like using a phone one handed, too slow to use that way especially if used while driving which I see so many people doing. I know… to each their own, but I’ve spent too many years using an iPhone with a 4” to 5” screen because Apple hadn’t built a larger model until the 6 plus. So I’d NEVER go back to a small device.

Last edited:

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
current mini user, but not interested in the theoretical 17 mini pro because of the lack of a physical SIM slot

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I see absolutely no future for the Mini. I saw what happened with the mini when it was offered in the 12 and 13 series and I have to agree they were absolutely stunningly beautiful little phones and the form factor was excellent. The quality of the phone was fabulous but after offered the phone it had a low amount of folks buying the phone.

My wife has the 13 mini and she absolutely loves the form factor she can one hand the phone when needed as she is a tiny person at 4'10" and 90 pounds. The phone fits her hands great and she loves the size and shape and ergonomics but she does not like the battery being so small as she will use the phone and after about 11 hours of all day use she is hunting for the charger for it. I am still good for at least another 5 hours on my 15 Pro and both of us are light to moderate users on our phones. As my wife and I frequently travel to Asia that can be a hassle with the mini. Yes the plane does have USB plugs and good luck if it works.

When Apple developed the Mini it had to make sure that it had all the same feature set as the regular phones and the phones screen had to be as good as the regular well something had to go smaller and it was the battery and the screen, I see no way Apple would give you a brick by the time you put Pro series cameras and abilities to a smaller screen version I see that as a dud on the sales front. Also you already have the smaller Pro series phone and the that is the 15 Pro this year sorry this is why I posted the beating a dead horse earlier.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Not a troll post, just curious. Just not sure why a mini is so desirable when there are several much better options out there. Better cameras, better CPU, better display…My iPhone is my main computing device, mostly. I have an iPad Pro 12.9” and I still use my iPhone more. I also have a 27” iMac that I hardly use as well. I don’t have the patience to sit at a desk to work on a computer that is stationary. I’ve seen big guys with large hands using a tiny phone.. I think, what’s wrong with this picture? My iPhone is my camera and photo editor. I suppose if one has no interest in photography, then a little iPhone used for texting and phone calls is ok if the camera hardly gets used I suppose. I don’t like using a phone one handed, too slow to use that way especially if used while driving which I see so many people doing. I know… to each their own, but I’ve spent too many years using an iPhone with a 4” to 5” screen because Apple hadn’t built a larger model until the 6 plus. So I’d NEVER go back to a small device.
Simple - because the device is small, light and powerful, which can be used with one hand.

As for your ‘better’ list, there is nothing the bigger iPhones can do that the Mini can’t.
And if you're serious about photography, you wouldn't use an iPhone camera as your primary device and certainly wouldn't edit your photos with it...

Options are good, but at the moment Apple choose to sale only big or maxi iPhones. :confused:

Reactions: cmcbhi

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Totally agree w/ Geta.
I like my Mini. For photography, I use a Nikon with the appropriate (changeable) glass. For a quick pic, you don't need or have time for staring at your phone while "composing".
Typing on your phone while driving should get you jailed. If you have an accident, I'll check your phone usage to see if you were texting while driving.

Reactions: geta

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Simple - because the device is small, light and powerful, which can be used with one hand.

As for your ‘better’ list, there is nothing the bigger iPhones can do that the Mini can’t.
And if you're serious about photography, you wouldn't use an iPhone camera as your primary device and certainly wouldn't edit your photos with it...

Options are good, but at the moment Apple choose to sale only big or maxi iPhones. :confused:
Well….

“As for your ‘better’ list, there is nothing the bigger iPhones can do that the Mini can’t.
And if you're serious about photography, you wouldn't use an iPhone camera as your primary device and certainly wouldn't edit your photos with it...”

This is incorrect. The larger iPhone has much better cameras, (the mini only has two average low end cameras), better CPU, the display and speakers are better. Typically the mini will have last year‘s or two years ago CPU in it because it’s cheaper to make and cheaper for Apple to reuse leftover parts from previous iPhones to make a mini.

As far as using my iPhone as my primary camera device, this is what I carry with me every day. I’m not willing carry my Sony A7RV and $2000 lenses with me everywhere. It’s just too much trouble for casual shooting and I only use them for paid jobs. I consider myself a very good photographer and I can easily match a DSLR with my iPhone when taking photos. I typically outshout everyone else that uses a DSLR with the exact same focal length as the iPhone cameras. I would not use the iPhone to photograph a wedding, but I would use it during the wedding for some shots same goes for portrait work. I edit photos on my phone every day using Lightroom mobile. I use external lighting and beastgrip lenses and rigs like the Beastgrip pro and Beastgrip cage.

Did you know the last Apple event that aired about the MacBook Pro was shot entirely on the iPhone 15 Pro Max? your expectations of the iPhone are seriously too low. The photos that I have attached I feel have proved you wrong regarding the capabilities of the iPhone. All of these were taken & edited in Lightroom mobile on my iPhone! So I guess the next time you think that it can’t be done on an iPhone, rethink it.

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4070.png

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Zorori

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Well….

“As for your ‘better’ list, there is nothing the bigger iPhones can do that the Mini can’t.
And if you're serious about photography, you wouldn't use an iPhone camera as your primary device and certainly wouldn't edit your photos with it...”

This is incorrect. The larger iPhone has much better cameras, (the mini only has two average low end cameras), better CPU, the display and speakers are better. Typically the mini will have last year‘s or two years ago CPU in it because it’s cheaper to make and cheaper for Apple to reuse leftover parts from previous iPhones to make a mini.

As far as using my iPhone as my primary camera device, this is what I carry with me every day. I’m not willing carry my Sony A7RV and $2000 lenses with me everywhere. It’s just too much trouble for casual shooting and I only use them for paid jobs. I consider myself a very good photographer and I can easily match a DSLR with my iPhone when taking photos. I typically outshout everyone else that uses a DSLR with the exact same focal length as the iPhone cameras. I would not use the iPhone to photograph a wedding, but I would use it during the wedding for some shots same goes for portrait work. I edit photos on my phone every day using Lightroom mobile. I use external lighting and beastgrip lenses and rigs like the Beastgrip pro and Beastgrip cage.

Did you know the last Apple event that aired about the MacBook Pro was shot entirely on the iPhone 15 Pro Max? your expectations of the iPhone are seriously too low. The photos that I have attached I feel have proved you wrong regarding the capabilities of the iPhone. All of these were taken & edited in Lightroom mobile on my iPhone! So I guess the next time you think that it can’t be done on an iPhone, rethink it.

View attachment 2318267

View attachment 2318268

View attachment 2318266

View attachment 2318276

View attachment 2318275
" I consider myself a very good photographer and I can easily match a DSLR with my iPhone when taking photos. "
One of these statements is not true. IF you can "easily" match a DLSR with your iPhone, you are not very good with your DLSR.
Your Sony is "good" but no match for my Z9. And a $2000 lens will not buy you good Nikon glass.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
" I consider myself a very good photographer and I can easily match a DSLR with my iPhone when taking photos. "
One of these statements is not true. IF you can "easily" match a DLSR with your iPhone, you are not very good with your DLSR.
Your Sony is "good" but no match for my Z9. And a $2000 lens will not buy you good Nikon glass.
You’re missing the point. I’ve been a photographer since 1989. I know what I’m doing. I’m not stating the fact that buying an expensive Camera makes me a good photographer. The camera is just a tool. Just like a firearm, buying an expensive firearm does not make you a good marksman. Photographs are made. The photographer has to understand lighting, composition, know how to pose people, know when and where the best lighting is and being able to recognize the lighting as being good enough for a dramatic portrait or scenic shot. Location is not the best approach, it’s the lighting. If you don’t understand any of these, then you’ll never be an accomplished photographer. you also need to be able to think and see like your camera sensor sees. No scene is going to be over exposed when you take the photo and knowing how to adjust your exposure compensation before you take the shot in order to come away with a good photo.

If you really want to test your skills, go buy a used Nikon or canon film camera, buy some film and shoot film for a few weeks and you’ll find out real quick how difficult some photography is especially when you can’t see the preview image after taking it. Now, maybe you understand how I think and know that I can out shoot anybody on a DSLR with my iPhone. I’m not trying to be cocky, I’m just saying that I have decades of experience, so if you want to put me to the test, go for it.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
If you really want to test your skills, go buy a used Nikon or canon film camera, buy some film and shoot film for a few weeks and you’ll find out real quick how difficult some photography is especially when you can’t see the preview image after taking it. Now, maybe you understand how I think and know that I can out shoot anybody on a DSLR with my iPhone. I’m not trying to be cocky, I’m just saying that I have decades of experience, so if you want to put me to the test, go for it.

I almost exclusively shoot scenery and/or telephoto lens required shots and I've not been able to get anything even close to my DSLR with my iPhone. Same for my cave photography, which requires long-exposure (ten second plus) with remote lighting. I've sure tried, though.

I have a Minolta film camera I still use from time to time. Been shooting since about '95.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I almost exclusively shoot scenery and/or telephoto lens required shots and I've not been able to get anything even close to my DSLR with my iPhone. Same for my cave photography, which requires long-exposure with remote lighting.

I have a Minolta film camera I still use from time to time. Been shooting since the early 90s.
Yeah I understand that. I use my DSLR when needed. Regarding the iPhone, I often have to shoot manually using third-party apps to control my focus and my exposure, etc..

Cave shots can be taken with the iPhone. Use the even longer app in frame averaging mode & in RAW & you can accomplish much! You could easily light paint using that app.

Here’s a fellow that I follow on Instagram that lives in California and he works for Adobe, he uses the iPhone & shoots with mobile exclusively & Profoto flashes. you should check out his Instagram. Even if you don’t have Instagram, you can still view his profile online.

https://instagram.com/dr_brown

Reactions: Sorinut

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Well….

Sure if you compare it to the latest iPhone version, but you should compare the 13 Mini CPU to iPhone 13, 13 Pro and 14 models…

I know how powerful the new iPhone cameras, but for quick ‘shooting on the go’ photos even the ‘old’ 13 Mini cameras are fine.

As for taking photos, still prefer using my old and trusty Canon AE1 and EOS 5 over newer digital cameras. There is some kind of “magic” about taking photos with film that digital cameras can’t reproduce…

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
My first camera was a Yashica 4x4 that I bought in 1960. Film, in case you didn't know. Ive been developing my own B&W and color since that time. I wanted an Exacta but couldn't afford it. My first SLR was a Nikormat FT (poor man's Nikon F). I then bought a Nikon F w/ good Nikon glass. After several ensuing Nikons, I bought a D2hs and decal "processing" Images on a computer. Revolutionary!
then a D800, now a Z9.
So I have taken and processed a few images myself.
But, as ToddH has said, a camera is just a tool. And the best camera is the one you have with you.
However, the workman is also only as good as his tools. Resolution is determined by the quality of the glass and the size of the image capture sensor. An iPhone 15 has a very small sensor (9.8x7.3mm = 71.5 sq mm). A full frame DLSR has a 24mm X 35mm sensor (864 sq mm). The resolution of the two imaging systems are not in the same ballpark.
Plus, one has to jump through many hoops, Apps and lower quality add-ons to get images with an iPhone that a good DLSR can surpass by itself.
If one cannot surpass an iPhone with his DSLR, I’d suggest he might need to hone his DLSR skills.
When I see the pro sports and land scape photographers using only iPhones, I might change my mind.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Sure if you compare it to the latest iPhone version, but you should compare the 13 Mini CPU to iPhone 13, 13 Pro and 14 models…

I know how powerful the new iPhone cameras, but for quick ‘shooting on the go’ photos even the ‘old’ 13 Mini cameras are fine.

As for taking photos, still prefer using my old and trusty Canon AE1 and EOS 5 over newer digital cameras. There is some kind of “magic” about taking photos with film that digital cameras can’t reproduce…
I shot film for years. I remember going to the local park taking pictures of wildlife and nature with my Nikon FM2 and everything was going great. I got close to the wildlife, landscape was perfect and then I realized that my camera didn’t have any film in it. UGH!!! I was slightly irritated because I didn’t check my camera before I started. Then when I went back to try and recapture all of what I missed, none of the animals were around the lighting had changed for the landscape and it didn’t look as nice etc.. I’m glad I don’t shoot film anymore, it was such a pain to take and get developed and then you had to wait to see if it came out good and if it didn’t, you had to go back and do it again if possible. Film was the worst for Astrophotography because of the reciprocity failure. Film had to be hypered with hydrogen and nitrogen for 24 hours to keep it sensitivity over a several hour exposure and I didn’t have the equipment to do that with. However, with digital, I don’t have to worry about that anymore because digital cameras for astronomy have come a very long way and produce such amazing results nowadays.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I shot film for years. I remember going to the local park taking pictures of wildlife and nature with my Nikon FM2 and everything was going great. I got close to the wildlife, landscape was perfect and then I realized that my camera didn’t have any film in it. UGH!!! I was slightly irritated because I didn’t check my camera before I started. Then when I went back to try and recapture all of what I missed, none of the animals were around the lighting had changed for the landscape and it didn’t look as nice etc.. I’m glad I don’t shoot film anymore, it was such a pain to take and get developed and then you had to wait to see if it came out good and if it didn’t, you had to go back and do it again if possible. Film was the worst for Astrophotography because of the reciprocity failure. Film had to be hypered with hydrogen and nitrogen for 24 hours to keep it sensitivity over a several hour exposure and I didn’t have the equipment to do that with. However, with digital, I don’t have to worry about that anymore because digital cameras for astronomy have come a very long way and produce such amazing results nowadays.

Fully understand the advantage of using DSLR over film as well as using iPhone in certain situations. In the end its just tools and you have to choose the best one for your needs.

Its convenience having good camera 24/7 in your pocket whenever you need without the hassle of carrying heavy bag full of lenses with couple of bodies everywhere, but to say iPhone cameras are as good (or better) is a bit of a stretch... maybe for Fbook or Instagram its sufficient for the average Joe, but not for professional work.

Like Cmcbhi said, maybe I change my mind the day I’ll see professional photographers only using iPhones with tiny lenses and digital zoom for their work.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Fully understand the advantage of using DSLR over film as well as using iPhone in certain situations. In the end its just tools and you have to choose the best one for your needs.

Its convenience having good camera 24/7 in your pocket whenever you need without the hassle of carrying heavy bag full of lenses with couple of bodies everywhere, but to say iPhone cameras are as good (or better) is a bit of a stretch... maybe for Fbook or Instagram its sufficient for the average Joe, but not for professional work.

Like Cmcbhi said, maybe I change my mind the day I’ll see professional photographers only using iPhones with tiny lenses and digital zoom for their work.
Sure the iPhone has its limits, but it’s still a very capable camera. You have to remember that the iPhone camera and any useful camera is just a tool. In the hands of a seasoned professional photographer, there are no Limits. Too many people put limits on their equipment & themselves and fail to maximize the equipments capabilities. Have you pushed the iPhone far enough yet to see for yourself? Do you limit your equipment? Do you limit yourself? If you say no, your negativity tells me otherwise. 20”x30” prints from the iPhone's 48mp sensor look no different than a DSLR 20x30” print using the same FL lens. Nose-to-nose maybe, but it’s difficult to tell. I “Choose” to use the iPhone more than my Sony at the moment. The Sony is reserved for some professional work that I get paid for and when I need a long lens or take long exposures of the night sky to capture galaxy clusters and nebulae. The iPhone 15 pro max holds its own and packs a punch. I have taken family photos with my iPhone that matched the quality of Sony A7RIII I used to own.

The last Apple event that aired covering the MacBook Pro was filmed entirely on the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Could you tell.. I’m sure you didn’t notice and like most people, didn’t have a clue. Those were professional photographers using the iPhone, now you can change your mind. I understand that you don’t like the iPhone camera and enjoy putting it down, but I like it and will continue to like it. I will also continue to post amazing photos I have taken with it on this forum. Have a good evening….

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
About the last Apple event.
"Those were professional photographers using the iPhone,.....
Todd, do you just possibly think that those professional photographers were ORDERED to use the iPhone? since Apple WAS paying them and all.
".. now you can change your mind."
Nope. Not until I see freelance professionals who sell their workusing the iPhone out of their own choice, not coerced by Big Tim.
Checkout the latest sports event and tell me how many of those who sell their photos are using iPhones.
Like I said, you can jump through Apps/hoops, hang all sorts of junk on the iPhone to try to see what you can do; but the lenses themselves are not comparable, let alone the camera.
Just for grins, why not show up at the next wedding you are PAID to photograph with only an iPhone to document the event and tell us how it goes.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
About the last Apple event.
"Those were professional photographers using the iPhone,.....
Todd, do you just possibly think that those professional photographers were ORDERED to use the iPhone? since Apple WAS paying them and all.
".. now you can change your mind."
Nope. Not until I see freelance professionals who sell their workusing the iPhone out of their own choice, not coerced by Big Tim.
Checkout the latest sports event and tell me how many of those who sell their photos are using iPhones.
Like I said, you can jump through Apps/hoops, hang all sorts of junk on the iPhone to try to see what you can do; but the lenses themselves are not comparable, let alone the camera.
Just for grins, why not show up at the next wedding you are PAID to photograph with only an iPhone to document the event and tell us how it goes.

I’ve had automotive photography mass printed in a few magazines using only an iPhone.
The quality is there if you use the raw files and edit the 48mp file.

This video also shows the quality that can be had…

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
I’ve had automotive photography mass printed in a few magazines using only an iPhone.
The quality is there if you use the raw files and edit the 48mp file.

This video also shows the quality that can be had…

Quoting from 3:27 in the attached video:
"...you should have expected that the dedicated camera takes way higher quality images......."
BOOM point proven. The quality is NOT there. Just look at the detail and noise shown by the videographer.
You can take adequate pics with an iPhone but a dedicated camera is better. Also the comment about the relative size of the sensor is mentioned, but swept over.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Sure the iPhone has its limits, but it’s still a very capable camera. You have to remember that the iPhone camera and any useful camera is just a tool. In the hands of a seasoned professional photographer, there are no Limits. Too many people put limits on their equipment & themselves and fail to maximize the equipments capabilities. Have you pushed the iPhone far enough yet to see for yourself? Do you limit your equipment? Do you limit yourself? If you say no, your negativity tells me otherwise. 20”x30” prints from the iPhone's 48mp sensor look no different than a DSLR 20x30” print using the same FL lens. Nose-to-nose maybe, but it’s difficult to tell. I “Choose” to use the iPhone more than my Sony at the moment. The Sony is reserved for some professional work that I get paid for and when I need a long lens or take long exposures of the night sky to capture galaxy clusters and nebulae. The iPhone 15 pro max holds its own and packs a punch. I have taken family photos with my iPhone that matched the quality of Sony A7RIII I used to own.

The last Apple event that aired covering the MacBook Pro was filmed entirely on the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Could you tell.. I’m sure you didn’t notice and like most people, didn’t have a clue. Those were professional photographers using the iPhone, now you can change your mind. I understand that you don’t like the iPhone camera and enjoy putting it down, but I like it and will continue to like it. I will also continue to post amazing photos I have taken with it on this forum. Have a good evening….

There is nothing negative in my answers… I know how capable iPhone cameras are, and I love using them for what they are. In the end it all depends on the person using them... that's why even the 'old' 13 Mini is still capable device for daily usage.

Like you said, for real work (when you get paid) or for specific tasks you’ll use your professional equipment, but for casual usage, like taking family photos or shooting on the go, iPhone will be your chosen tool because it's more convenient carrying around and still can get good results. And in a certain situations im sure you can reproduce photos taken with DSLR with iPhone, but lets see what will be the result when you need to capture moving animal 100m away from you, or MotoGP bike that flying at 300km/h…

As for Apple event, it didn’t blow me away to change my mind… and I still prefer having small and light iPhone then carrying over sized 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: ToddH

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
Some people get bent out of shape just thinking about a small iphone.
I had a iphone 15 Pro for about 3 days before I sent it back. It was too big.
The main reason I got the 15 Pro was for its longer FL lens, but it wasn't worth it.
Having great capabilities in a small package is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: Zorori and cmcbhi

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
There is nothing negative in my answers… I know how capable iPhone cameras are, and I love using them for what they are. In the end it all depends on the person using them... that's why even the 'old' 13 Mini is still capable device for daily usage.

Like you said, for real work (when you get paid) or for specific tasks you’ll use your professional equipment, but for casual usage, like taking family photos or shooting on the go, iPhone will be your chosen tool because it's more convenient carrying around and still can get good results. And in a certain situations im sure you can reproduce photos taken with DSLR with iPhone, but lets see what will be the result when you need to capture moving animal 100m away from you, or MotoGP bike that flying at 300km/h…

As for Apple event, it didn’t blow me away to change my mind… and I still prefer having small and light iPhone then carrying over sized 15 Pro Max.
Agree.
I use my iPhone Mini for spur-of-the-moment pics that I would miss if I went for my DLSR. If I want real quality, I pick up the Nikon.
I prefer the Mini form factor because it fits my pockets and hand better. Personal preference.

Reactions: ToddH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.