Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPhone 17 Mini Pro Edition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The camera bump is necessary for it to be a Pro iPhone, at least today.

An iPhone mini Pro sounds great in theory. It would just fit a niche market.

The only way to create a mainstream mini iPhone would be if it folded into a Pro Max form factor.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
No! I would not. Mini iPhones are useless to most people. Why use a phone with a screen just slightly larger than a business card?
Most people maybe, yet useful to some. Pocket-ability without the heft weighing your shorts/ shirt down in the Summer months for example. Not having half the phone sticking out of the jeans pocket is another.
Battery life will be lousy, etc. I know it’s larger than a card, but really. What’s the fascination with a tiny iPhone?
I get through a full day of charge. Otherwise there's also the option of the MAgSafe battery pack. People are quite aware of its battery limitations
One handed use?
Well, swipe down on any later iPhone (incl the Mini) and the screen drops down. So, not quite the argument.
It’s easier to loose, the camera is not pro and basic at best. An iPhone 5s still may be located…
Easier to loose? Please. Folks are aware of their phones in pockets without being constantly weighed down with that reminder. People also lose bits of paper and paper money out of their pockets. That's just not being careful.

But why only search for negative aspects for what, quite obviously you would never ever want as a product. A Mini Pro. Let Apple make one for those that actually want one and be happy with. It would have zero effect on your life.

Reactions: theorist9 and geta

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
Depth (actually thickness is the word you’re looking for) was the same on 12 and 13 Mini as on the 6.1” equivalents. Therefore, if this imaginary phone did not have a camera bump it wouldn’t have the same thickness.

This leaves either using camera sensors/lenses which are generations behind (thus, it wouldn’t be a Pro), or making it very thick.

Even if a phone that thick is a marketable option (it isn’t), adding all the features to make it a Pro would lead to a severely compromised battery life.

As much as I loved my 12 Mini, I wouldn’t buy another, not because of the cost but because of painfully inadequate battery life.
The 13 mini had considerably better battery life. I loved both my minis!

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Apple decide the demand for a Mini was too low to justify the production and development costs to continue to make it. The 13 Mini represented 3% and 5% of iPhone 13 sales in the US and China, respectively.

So here's an idea that could make it cost-effective for Apple to continue to produce the Mini: Just offer a new Mini, say, once every three years. That would create sufficient pent-up demand to justify the development costs. Mini buyers would then be able to upgrade every three years, which seems reasonable.

LSUstang05

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Why use a phone with a screen just slightly larger than a business card? Battery life will be lousy, etc.
Because I have short, stubby fingers. I can barely reach the other side of the screen and have a good grip on the phone. Don't care about battery life. 90% of the time I will have access to a charger throughout the day to get a top-up if needed.

What’s the fascination with a tiny iPhone? One handed use? It’s easier to loose, the camera is not pro and basic at best. An iPhone 5s still may be located…
Yes, one handed use would be great. Reachability is a gimmick that doesn't work well and hides half the screen. Easier to lose? Don't be a child and keep track of your things - it's not that hard. Camera isn't pro? Yea...that's why the question was "would you buy a PRO iPhone Mini?" Because the assumption would be it would have the pro camera's...

I would be much more willing to upgrade every year for a Mini Pro than the new phablet's Apple is keen on producing. I would also likely purchase a newer iPad if my phone screen was smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: dszakal and geta

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Maybe a Pro version of the Mini could indeed make (more) sense than a non-pro. IF the profit margin of Pro is bigger (which I would assume it is). The Mini was and always be niche (unfortunately). So maybe bigger profit margin could help.

That being said, I am surprised this petition has not been posted here yet:

Sign! ☺️

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.