Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sage73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Trying to decide between replacing the battery in my almost 3 year old iPhone X or getting a 12 pro.

I know my phone is almost 3 years old but it was the last time i was truly excited for a phone from apple. Anyone else feel the same? I know the specs are way better than the X's but ...

Reactions: whizkid11

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Think this release if first one to really consider if coming from X. Good performance, camera upgrade and new design. Next years will be better than this years but not sure how much. Every year better than last so got to jump in sometime.

Last edited:

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
I guess 3-5 years cycle will help see the substantial upgrade.
I am totally against year to year update and that is the worst behaviour of consumerism. There is no substantial change yet one becomes the patroniser of toxic consumerism.
I am happy for those who can change battery and extend the life on.

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I guess 3-5 years cycle will help see the substantial upgrade.
I am totally against year to year update and that is the worst behaviour of consumerism. There is no substantial change yet one becomes the patroniser of toxic consumerism.
I am happy for those who can change battery and extend the life on.

I fully agree with you and have never understood why people upgrade phones every year.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
If you're waiting for the notch to disappear, I highly doubt that'll happen till 2022 minimum. None of the early rumours suggest such a thing in 2021. I would get the 12 pro now, so you can justify an upgrade in 2022 or 2023.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It won't be a big change in terms of form factor, but honestly the camera was a huge upgrade with the 11 series, so even if the 12 is only a slight upgrade from the 11 it will still be a big upgrade from the X. If you don't care about the camera much then you might be better off waiting another year (although next year will probably be an S cycle, but Promotion may finally come to the Pro models next year).

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I'm going to wait and cross my fingers for a 120hz display next year. I'm curious, what's your battery capacity at after using your X for 3 years. Mine is at 87% which I think is pretty great. Especially considering I wirelessly charge it every night.

Last edited:

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
Same spectrum we are. Sorry If I used wrong word. What I mean is we in same frequency.

If you're waiting for the notch to disappear, I highly doubt that'll happen till 2022 minimum. None of the early rumours suggest such a thing in 2021. I would get the 12 pro now, so you can justify an upgrade in 2022 or 2023.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I'm going to wait and cross my fingers for a 120hz display next year. I'm curious, what's your battery capacity at after using your X for 3 years. Mine is at 87% which I think it's pretty great. Especially considering I wirelessly charge it every night.
Mine at 91% with pretty much only charging when needed and not everyday.

YaBhoyB

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
iPhone X here as well. My battery percentage is struggling at 79%. I'm weighing the option to replace my screen (scratches, no cracks) and my battery, but do I really want to wait until next year or after? That's my dilemma.

Reactions: JPIndustrie

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I'm going to wait and cross my fingers for a 120hz display next year. I'm curious, what's your battery capacity at after using your X for 3 years. Mine is at 87% which I think is pretty great. Especially considering I wirelessly charge it every night.
My iPhone X battery is at 53%, which is really getting annoying (I use an Apple smart battery case to make it usable). I know I could get it replaced, but this is the first year that I've been tempted by the new phones at all, so I think I'm going to go for it. I've used an iPhone 6 Plus and 7 Plus in the past, so I am familiar with larger phones, but after using the iPhone X for 3 years I'm pretty happy with the size, so I think the regular iPhone 12 Pro is the one I'm going with.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPIndustrie

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I'm upgrading from my X to get rid of the Intel modem which is horrendous (I hope that is the problem anyway). The phone will basically not to do anything require a connection if I drop from LTE. 4G? Nothing that requires internet or mail. 3G? Forget about anything. I even have trouble making calls with anything that is not 4G LTE. So even though a better Qualcomm modem will come out next year, I am hoping the Qualcomm modem makes a big difference. Will probably try to get on Apple's upgrade plan so if next year's 13 is that much better than the 12, I can upgrade.

Reactions: Releck97

BDwy27

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Will go to iPhone 12 pro from X right now I’m on a 3 year cycle. Was 2 year cycle before iPhone 6. 6 to X now x to 12... will upgrade whenever they go notchless . Don’t believe 13 will be notchless. Also would like Touch ID back in the screen

Reactions: joelb727

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016

This is basically my logic as well. I've been on a 2yr upgrade cycle since the original iPhone, and for the first time stretched it to 3yrs with my X. I would've LOVED 120hz ProMotion on the 12's, but even though I notice and love it on my iPad Pro, I can live without it on the smaller iPhone.

I also agree that next year, the 13 will probably add ProMotion (and maybe upgraded 5G antennas / mmWave on all models) as the "S" / "tock" update, with any removal of the notch unlikely until 2022 or 2023. Which makes buying the 12 this year in a nice spot to upgrade next in 2 or 3 years at the next big step-change.

Reactions: Releck97 and gpoop

jsharpe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
I have an X with a new Apple installed battery. I had been planning on upgrading to the 12 pro but the camera difference between it and the Max has me really annoyed. I don't want the huge phone but do want the best camera. So I'm seriously considering waiting until next year on the hopes that they will equalize the cameras on the pro models. My X really still is a decent phone and I don't feel the pressure to upgrade that I've had in the past.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Trying to decide between replacing the battery in my almost 3 year old iPhone X or getting a 12 pro.

I am doing both.. Getting battery replaced of my day one bought iPhone X and giving it to my SO (she's upgrading from 6s Plus) and I will be ordering iPhone 12 Pro for myself.

Reactions: Wags

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
My X is at 96% after 3 years. Charge every night and always plug in when in the car for CarPlay.

Still can't decide if to upgrade from X to 12 Pro. The X has a huge upgrade from previous models.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
My X is at 96% after 3 years. Charge every night and always plug in when in the car for CarPlay.

Still can't decide if to upgrade from X to 12 Pro. The X has a huge upgrade from previous models.
Wow, 96%. Good battery.
The new pro looks like will be twice the performance as the X. That’s a big upgrade.

Last edited:

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I’m upgrading my iPhone X after 3 years just not sure if I’m going 12 or 12 Pro yet

81% battery, struggles to see a day out at work with heavy use even in battery saver mode, along with a few abrasions on the screen as well

Main reason for upgrading is better camera, battery, brighter display, new design

zaccor

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I’m upgrading my iPhone X after 3 years just not sure if I’m going 12 or 12 Pro yet

81% battery, struggles to see a day out at work with heavy use even in battery saver mode, along with a few abrasions on the screen as well

Main reason for upgrading is better camera, battery, brighter display, new design

I'm also coming from an X. I was dead set on the 12 pro, but looking at the 12 now. It's lighter, has almost all of the features of the pro, minus some camera stuff like lidar and telephoto. I guess form factor is a big difference too. Love the look of the stainless blue, but I'm also digging the aluminum green on the 12. The 12 is lighter, which is a bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.