Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Going from my launch day 64gb X to a 256gb Pro. I am mostly excited about more storage. I am always pushing 55-60gb and that is after removing photos and being selective with music. I take a lot of photos and have a lot of music.

brando123b

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Going from X to 12. 12 Pro is too heavy and the added features are fun day 1, but frankly will fade away into the background over time. I do zero AR, I'm probably tapping into 15% of my phones photographic prowess as it is...and the 12 will be a huge upgrade in camera quality as it is.

Plus it looks better than the Pro :cool:

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
The Verizon credits made me upgrade to the 12 from the X. With device credits ~$180/year + $440 trade-in value for the iPhone X, ~$190 more than Apple... makes my final price ~$10/year for 24 months or $240 for the 128GB model.

I think the intent was to get everyone to upgrade to the new plans with mmWave tech -- but they allowed this promotion without that upgrade, so I will have sub 6Ghz 5G at a very small upgrade price.

My iPhone X is still good, though I will miss the telephoto (hoping optical zoom is better w/ the new hardware).

Also... I got the blue one :).

Reactions: Smoovejayy

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I’m also going from my X to a 12 pro. It was replaced under warranty and as a result is in mint condition at 100% battery capacity. I still love the design but I really want that upgraded camera.

I was gonna wait until next year but coronavirus has taught me that I could be dead next year so why wait? Lol

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I plan to update from my X. I'm still undecided if I should go Pro Max or just Pro...
I'm concerned about the size. I had my 6 plus and got used to the size...

Reactions: Gjwilly

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I’m going from an X to a 12 pro. X is just starting to slow down a bit and the battery isn’t great anymore which always seems to happen after 2 years. I have some concern they’ll delete the lightning port next year, and I’m not quite ready for that. Two years from now I’ll find a good workaround for apple car play.

Reactions: whattodo11

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Yep. That's Me. X to 12pro- Pretty good jump in functionality now. Battery is 87%. Still good phone but will replace battery and hand down. Will enjoy a little extra screen size.. I did have an 8 plus way back I see this as "peak phone" for me. Ill try to make stretch past three now.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I am looking for a reason to upgrade from my XS Max to the 12 Pro but I am having trouble justifying the $1000. A previous poster said he was annoyed that the 12 Pro Max has the best camera and I agree with him. I want the largest sensor but I don't want the large phone.

I read a rumor that the large sensor will make its way to the Pro (non max) next year. I don't know what to do. Choosing a good upgrade cycle isn't as obvious as it used to be.

Edit - Can someone comment on whether the iPhone 11 Pro felt like a big camera upgrade over the XS? Other than wide angle lens, is there a big difference?

Last edited:

nyy13251

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2018
I’m upgrading to the pro. I’ve had the X since February 18. Battery is at 87% so I’m giving the X to my wife, which is good timing since she dropped her 6 in the toilet a few weeks ago. She needed a new phone anyways! I feel like we won’t see anything major for a few years. Honestly, what else can a phone do?!

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Trying to decide between replacing the battery in my almost 3 year old iPhone X or getting a 12 pro.

I know my phone is almost 3 years old but it was the last time i was truly excited for a phone from apple. Anyone else feel the same? I know the specs are way better than the X's but ...

I'm pretty sure you're me. I'm in exactly the same boat. Replace the battery and keep using my X, which is perfectly fine, or get a new 12 (already decided I wouldn't get the pro). Going to the Apple Store this weekend to see about the cost and process to replace the battery.

i505

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2016
New Mexico, USA
I'll be upgrading from the X to the 12 Pro. The X still works really well and recently had a battery replacement due to it bulging, so it has 100% battery health. The 12 Pro's camera system seems like a huge upgrade for me and is what sold me on the 12 Pro. I'll be passing the X on to a family member who is still using a 6s. I also tend to upgrade whenever the iPhone is redesigned. I've had the 4, 5, 6, X, and now 12 Pro.

mchas

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure you're me. I'm in exactly the same boat. Replace the battery and keep using my X, which is perfectly fine, or get a new 12 (already decided I wouldn't get the pro). Going to the Apple Store this weekend to see about the cost and process to replace the battery.

Just replaced the battery on my X. It costs around $70 and takes an hour with an appointment.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Just replaced the battery on my X. It costs around $70 and takes an hour with an appointment.

With the carrier credits you can get a new phone for almost free, if not totally. But the X is still a great phone too!

Reactions: jsharpe

mchas

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
With the carrier credits you can get a new phone for almost free, if not totally. But the X is still a great phone too!

Yea, still on the fence about upgrading but I figured I would replace my battery either way. I don’t like the thought of being locked in for 2.5 years, I would rather sell my X or give it to someone and not be stuck with a contract.

I still like my X quite a bit. No huge reason to upgrade other than just enjoying newer technology.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have an X with 84%, barely 3 hours screen on time and lagging when shooting video. Other than that it is in great condition but I really feel that it's time for an upgrade. It's been a loyal tool but 12 pro max here I come.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
TX DC
I am looking for a reason to upgrade from my XS Max to the 12 Pro but I am having trouble justifying the $1000. A previous poster said he was annoyed that the 12 Pro Max has the best camera and I agree with him. I want the largest sensor but I don't want the large phone.

I read a rumor that the large sensor will make its way to the Pro (non max) next year. I don't know what to do. Choosing a good upgrade cycle isn't as obvious as it used to be.

Edit - Can someone comment on whether the iPhone 11 Pro felt like a big camera upgrade over the XS? Other than wide angle lens, is there a big difference?

At an evening concert I saw the two cameras recording the performance, one was XS, other was 11 Pro, and that 11 Pro was much clearer and sharper. It’s significant.

if the substantially larger sensor and sensor shift makes it’s way into the pro next year... that would be a big urge to upgrade. A part of me hopes it get’s that, but a part of me says no since I want to hold on to this phone for a few years before upgrading.

Last edited:

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I’m going from an X to a 12 pro. X is just starting to slow down a bit and the battery isn’t great anymore which always seems to happen after 2 years. I have some concern they’ll delete the lightning port next year, and I’m not quite ready for that. Two years from now I’ll find a good workaround for apple car play.

it’s obvious, the MagSafe will have a usb connector so you can still CarPlay. Only dumb thing is the circle on MagSafe is huugee compared to a cable, unless you buy a new car with wireless CarPlay.

scarrz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
The Verizon credits made me upgrade to the 12 from the X. With device credits ~$180/year + $440 trade-in value for the iPhone X, ~$190 more than Apple... makes my final price ~$10/year for 24 months or $240 for the 128GB model.

I think the intent was to get everyone to upgrade to the new plans with mmWave tech -- but they allowed this promotion without that upgrade, so I will have sub 6Ghz 5G at a very small upgrade price.

My iPhone X is still good, though I will miss the telephoto (hoping optical zoom is better w/ the new hardware).

Also... I got the blue one :).

Like to know how your getting $440 for a trade in for the X. The actual verbiage says ”up to $440”. Through VZW, My X 256GB was offered $228 and its in excellent shape.

Last edited:

PFox78

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
My X still runs like a dream. I got the battery replaced with AppleCare last year and have more than 92% remaining still. It’s still speedy and runs very well. Nothing like the older phones (4, 5) used to be after 2-3 years. Makes it very hard to go out and spend another small fortune on a phone. I’ll probably wait until next year, with the smaller notch and ProMotion display.

Reactions: alphaswift

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

It's $80 to replace the battery

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013

I have the XS Max and ordered the 12 Pro. I’m upgrading for the better modem, update to camera, additional storage and better screen. Had some Verizon Device dollars and plan to sell my xs max once my new phone gets here. Seems like a decent upgrade for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.