Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Trying to decide between replacing the battery in my almost 3 year old iPhone X or getting a 12 pro.

I know my phone is almost 3 years old but it was the last time i was truly excited for a phone from apple. Anyone else feel the same? I know the specs are way better than the X's but ...

I was in the exact same position. The 12 Pro was just enough of an upgrade to make me pull the trigger. My X still runs ok, not great. The battery is garbage. I've also noticed some general performance degradation over the last couple of iOS updates. $445 trade-in credit for my X - I can't see myself selling it elsewhere and getting more $$ for that phone (not worth the the headache to sell it private party for $500-$550 or whatever). My only major gripe is the notch - very disappointing that they haven't improved on that since the X.

Overall I'm excited to get a MUCH faster phone, much better camera, better screen quality, slightly larger screen size, MagSafe is a low-key nice touch, 5g is live in my city, etc etc. Hopefully I have the self-restraint to hold this new phone for another 3+ years :)

buckethead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Hopefully I have the self-restraint to hold this new phone for another 3+ years :)

Same here! With the size so close to the X and a nice upgrade bump all around it should last just as well. Only wonder is if in the next couple of years there will be a “gotta have” improvement that did not happen between the X and 12.

scarrz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
I was in the exact same position. The 12 Pro was just enough of an upgrade to make me pull the trigger. My X still runs ok, not great. The battery is garbage. I've also noticed some general performance degradation over the last couple of iOS updates. $445 trade-in credit for my X - I can't see myself selling it elsewhere and getting more $$ for that phone (not worth the the headache to sell it private party for $500-$550 or whatever). My only major gripe is the notch - very disappointing that they haven't improved on that since the X.

Overall I'm excited to get a MUCH faster phone, much better camera, better screen quality, slightly larger screen size, MagSafe is a low-key nice touch, 5g is live in my city, etc etc. Hopefully I have the self-restraint to hold this new phone for another 3+ years :)
Where are you trading in that you get the $445 credit?

Last edited:

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
It’s a Verizon credit. I ordered my phone through the Apple website and they offered a $445 or maybe it was $440, trade credit for my X.
[automerge]1603241922[/automerge]

Attachments

• EA2D483D-CFCA-4260-9779-EC7D41ACA7DE.jpeg
    EA2D483D-CFCA-4260-9779-EC7D41ACA7DE.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: scarrz

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I am doing both.. Getting battery replaced of my day one bought iPhone X and giving it to my SO (she's upgrading from 6s Plus) and I will be ordering iPhone 12 Pro for myself.

I sent my iPhone X to Apple for replacement of battery and they sent me a replacement brand new or refurbished iPhone X. Maybe they messed it up so they had to replace it. It was at 87 percent.

Now I have an new iPhone X and an iPhone 12 Pro on the way.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I sent my iPhone X to Apple for replacement of battery, somehow they messed up and sent me a replacement iPhone X haha.

Now I have an new iPhone X and an iPhone 12 Pro on the way.
In some cases, the battery replacement fails so they give you a replacement device instead.

Eccentric Arcanist

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
I debated for a while whether to upgrade from my iPhone X to an iPhone 12 pro. I know the 12 pro is a big step up in many ways but nothing about it really wows me. However, I decided its probably a good time to upgrade in terms of the product cycle. Next year we’re likely to see promotion and the new Max sensor in the standard pro phones; but other than the usual spec bump i cant see it being much more then that (maybe power button touch ID and smaller notch?). I think the really big upgrade will be in 2022 or 2023 when hopefully we’ll finally have the notch removed and perhaps get miniLED. I can imagine Apple will target 2022 as they’re actively trying to increase repeat purchase frequency of the iphone. I think a lot of people will upgrade to the 12 lineup because of features like 5G, LIDAR and magsafe - these are all a little premature but Apple is making a push to encourage lots of people to upgrade. Releasing a big upgrade product in 2022 would then encourage those users who normally wait 3-4 years to upgrade, to upgrade after only 2. Anyway, i cant really wait until 2022/2023 for a new phone and the potential features coming next year like promotion arent really enough to make me wait. So yes, I'm upgrading!

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
In case this is useful for others:

Writing down the dimensions, as others have noted, it's quite clear it's very similar in size to the X:

Dimensions in mm, written as height, width, thickness:
iPhone X: 143.6, 70.9, 7.7
iPhone 12: 146.7, 71.5, 7.4
iPhone 12 mini: 131.5, 64.2, 7.4

With a difference of 3 mm in height, it's pretty compelling to stick with a 12 and not mini.

With iPhone X trade in ($250) and choosing 128 GB size, we have:
iPhone 12: $599
iPhone 12 Pro: $749

cnj93

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
London
Currently on the fence about jumping from my X to a 12 Pro. The battery life on my X is decent enough, especially since we're stuck at home anyway, and I haven't noticed any significant performance degradation. I think the main thing stopping me from jumping onboard this year is the lack of anything truly game-changing, at least for me (although the new design is very enticing).

Unless I can snag a good deal this year, I'll probably hold out for the 13 Pro next year, which I'm hoping will have some nice screen enhancements (higher refresh rate and/or smaller notch), bigger camera sensors for the non-Max Pro model, and perhaps the return of Touch ID à la iPad Air or even perhaps underneath the display... a guy can dream, right? ?

afonsomduarte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Portugal
I’m upgrading my X to a 12 Pro as well. Currently my X is at 92% battery capacity and I have never replaced it. Have it since launch.

I’m by no means unhappy with it but since I’ll get the Pro on a carrier plan it’s not that much of a stretch. I’m also passing my X to a relative who has the original SE.

I don’t plan on switching phones again at least until they get rid of the notch entirely and bring ProMotion as well so my estimate would be ~2-3 years after getting the Pro which seems perfectly reasonable.

In the meantime it’s sold out everywhere in my area so I probably got to wait at least 2 weeks

Last edited:

wheathin

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The 12 Pro is great and definitely an improvement on battery, speed of the actual phone, camera is leaps and bounds better, and it’s great to have a bigger 6.1” screen in an iPhone almost the same size as the X. 5G is just not impressive for now as the reviews said; it will likely take a few years to meet high expectations.

I can say I missed that thrill when I first opened my iPhone X and used a phone with no home button and all screen front for the first time. That did feel revolutionary, this phone much improved feels more evolutionary but very good.

buckethead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
The 12 Pro is great and definitely an improvement on battery, speed of the actual phone, camera is leaps and bounds better, and it’s great to have a bigger 6.1” screen in an iPhone almost the same size as the X. 5G is just not impressive for now as the reviews said; it will likely take a few years to meet high expectations.

I can say I missed that thrill when I first opened my iPhone X and used a phone with no home button and all screen front for the first time. That did feel revolutionary, this phone much improved feels more evolutionary but very good.
What he said. Quite the upgrade from the X.

And the battery life improvement has been great today. At this point in the day with my X I’d be looking for a charger (93% battery health). I’m upwards of 70% yet on my new 12 Pro.

Last edited:

afonsomduarte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Portugal

Exactly, I know what you mean. The thrill is still there somewhat for me at least because of the return of the iPhone 4 industrial, straight edge design. All other points you mentioned are just a greatly appreciated bonus :)

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
With ATT giving 800 credit on a trade in I decided to go from an X to a 12 pro. I’m handing my X down to a family member and traded in an 8 to get the credit.

AFgixxer

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
The Verizon credits made me upgrade to the 12 from the X. With device credits ~$180/year + $440 trade-in value for the iPhone X, ~$190 more than Apple... makes my final price ~$10/year for 24 months or $240 for the 128GB model.

I think the intent was to get everyone to upgrade to the new plans with mmWave tech -- but they allowed this promotion without that upgrade, so I will have sub 6Ghz 5G at a very small upgrade price.

My iPhone X is still good, though I will miss the telephoto (hoping optical zoom is better w/ the new hardware).

Also... I got the blue one :).

I have Verizon too and thinking of upgrading because my x is so slow. WiFi, media scrolling.. How are you seeing such high upgrade credits? Is that the $5 every month one through the Up rewards? It shows me it will cost me $45/month for the 256gb 12Pro when I go to upgrade device. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I have Verizon Internet and cellular, which is an extra $10 a month in device credits on top of the $5 monthly.
Interestingly, Verizon online did not show me the extra $200 I had until I had a problem with my order and had to call the tele-sales line.

MZBS

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2020
Madrid, Spain
All I can say is the 12 Pro battery life is fantastic. Waaay better than my X that had a new battery.

I feel the same, first days using it with my X still with me and the Pro Battery is for example at 80% when the X is around 55% from full charge both.

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
I feel the same, first days using it with my X still with me and the Pro Battery is for example at 80% when the X is around 55% from full charge both.

Power management chip working? One of the thing doubtful is iOS14 dragging down the X performance. The new phone buying cycle time is getting faster. Exactly this is 3 years from when I got X late back in 2017.

With all that notes, I am quite happy with 12 pro performance.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
it's been a little while but anyone have regrets? still considering the $700 credit att has. my iPx has been great, 83% battery and in mint ondition. considering the 12 pro.

scarrz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
it's been a little while but anyone have regrets? still considering the $700 credit att has. my iPx has been great, 83% battery and in mint ondition. considering the 12 pro.
I went X to a 12PM, so far no regrets. The X does feel tiny now though when holding and I've become accustomed to holding along with pocket carrying the 12PM. I do love the battery life and the camera is great with the 12PM and I'm sure with the 12P also.

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Coming from Iphone X the next years Iphone 13 should be more substantial update regarding the screen and cameras.
Dude, the X camera sucks. It was a marginal improvement over the iPhone 7. The X to XS was a much bigger improvement. The XS to 11 Pro was night and day. 11 Pro to 12 Pro is probably like 7 to X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.