Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I have an X with a new Apple installed battery. I had been planning on upgrading to the 12 pro but the camera difference between it and the Max has me really annoyed. I don't want the huge phone but do want the best camera. So I'm seriously considering waiting until next year on the hopes that they will equalize the cameras on the pro models. My X really still is a decent phone and I don't feel the pressure to upgrade that I've had in the past.

Next year the camera difference might increase. It’s certainly not going to be any less than this year. Next year Pro Max will be the only flagship. Pro will be lower in ways other than camera.

Pro Max will be fully wireless.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Think this release if first one to really consider if coming from X. Good performance, camera upgrade and new design. Next years will be better than this years but not sure how much. Every year better than last so got to jump in sometime.
Agree I only upgraded from X to XS because of dual sim. I have a work phone and personal number, much easier to carry around 1 phone. I really only want this phone because of the low light pictures so hopefully it doesn't let me down!

Reactions: gpoop and Wags

barrett14

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Next year the camera difference might increase. It’s certainly not going to be any less than this year. Next year Pro Max will be the only flagship. Pro will be lower in ways other than camera.

Pro Max will be fully wireless.

I read the 13 Pro will get the larger sensor that you find in the 12 Pro Max. Do you agree?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I read the 13 Pro will get the larger sensor that you find in the 12 Pro Max. Do you agree?

I don’t know. But 13 Pro MAX would be better than 13 Pro. And the difference might be more than this year. Or at least the same for sure.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Like to know how your getting $440 for a trade in for the X. The actual verbiage says ”up to $440”. Through VZW, My X 256GB was offered $228 and its in excellent shape.

https://www.verizon.com/smartphones...=CJM&cjevent=e918da58f9cf11ea82bb00740a24060b

When you click "see details" on this link you can select your phone and it will tell you trade in value. We also haven't gotten new phones so they're offering another $200 on top of that.

1603121819070.png

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
80% battery on my X so its time to upgrade and pass the X off to a family member and get the 12 pro :) have not wanted to upgrade due to crappy intel modems in past models with average reception

Reactions: slimejester

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I'm upgrading from a X to a 12 Pro Max and was curious about the improvements, so I looked through iPhone Xs, 11, and 12 spec sheets and keynotes and compiled a spreadsheet to show all of the improvements I could find. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 4.10.07 PM.png

Last edited:

MZBS

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2020
Madrid, Spain
I'm upgrading from a X to a 12 Pro Max and was curious about the improvements, so I looked through iPhone Xs, 11, and 12 spec sheets and keynotes and compiled a spreadsheet to show all of the improvements I could find. Hope this helps.

View attachment 969171

Are you not worried about the size of the Pro Max? I am also with iPhone X but I think the Pro Max is too big. I was thinking to order it because of the camera improvements but I think I could regret the size and not be easy to use it with one hand...

Reactions: buckethead

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Are you not worried about the size of the Pro Max? I am also with iPhone X but I think the Pro Max is too big. I was thinking to order it because of the camera improvements but I think I could regret the size and not be easy to use it with one hand...

I had a 7 Plus before the X, and the 12 Pro Max has the exact same width as the 7 Plus, so it should feel similar in the hand (maybe even better because I think the flat sides will be easier to grip). I do like being able to do everything on my X with one hand, but then again, I've also been annoyed at how small the X screen looks when watching YouTube videos in bed, which I do a lot of. I also work from home 100% of the time now, which makes owning a big phone less of a hassle. And one more thing... I miss the insane battery life of my 7 Plus. When I owned a 7 Plus, I would end the day with like 40% remaining, but even when my X was brand new, I would often end with only around 10%, so it didn't take long before the battery degraded a bit and I had to start charging at some point every evening.

Bonus tip: I found that having an extremely grippy case really helps you to be able to use a large phone like the 7 Plus with one hand, because you don't have to put your pinky under the bottom or wrap your fingers all the way around the far side to hold the phone, which leaves your thumb with a lot more mobility and travel distance. The Apple silicone cases are perfect for this, and I may try a Caudabe Sheath with my 12 Pro Max as well. I used an Apple leather case with my iPhone X, but I don't think that's going to work with a 12 Pro Max because it's too slippery for that holding style.

Last edited:
Reactions: AiryApple

wheathin

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I am also upgrading from an X to a 12 Pro. Staying with 256GB. I’ve had it since launch day and am also at 85%. I’m looking forward to bigger screen only slightly bigger than the X, but definitely smaller than my work XR iPhone also 6.1”, better cameras, MagSafe, and 5G if it makes a difference.

Reactions: Wags and gpoop

scarrz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
i will stay with my xs... i really like magsafe - but only the magnets are not enough for me (by now) for throwing away the xs - which does a great job..
i will look at 2021 how magsafe is developing in the daily life - become it popular or going under like 3D touch...

i take some pictures but therforei dont need the latest camera...

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I guess 3-5 years cycle will help see the substantial upgrade.
I am totally against year to year update and that is the worst behaviour of consumerism. There is no substantial change yet one becomes the patroniser of toxic consumerism.
I am happy for those who can change battery and extend the life on.

I agree with this, but I am one who changes phones every year. Every one else in my family only gets a new phone when theirs breaks. My brother in law bought a Samsung S8 back when I had one, he still uses his, mine was traded in a few years ago. Now I have a 11 pro which is a great little phone, and I’m very happy with it. I want to keep this one for 4 years, or until it’s not useable. Can I resist upgrading next year? I’m going to try!

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
I’m also in the same boat of going from X to 12 Pro. Could I keep my X longer? Probably. I usually update every 2 years but decided to keep the X a year longer than my usual upgrade cycle because I never do S upgrades and the 11 Pro was just not a justifiable upgrade. My X still works with some minor slowdowns here and there. What I’m afraid of is if it gets too slow that it won’t make it to the next iPhone launch also the decrease in value if I wanna trade it in. So I decided to go ahead and upgrade and trade in my X although I want to keep it.

buckethead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
I’m also in the same boat of going from X to 12 Pro. Could I keep my X longer? Probably. I usually update every 2 years but decided to keep the X a year longer than my usual upgrade cycle because I never do S upgrades and the 11 Pro was just not a justifiable upgrade. My X still works with some minor slowdowns here and there. What I’m afraid of is if it gets too slow that it won’t make it to the next iPhone launch also the decrease in value if I wanna trade it in. So I decided to go ahead and upgrade and trade in my X although I want to keep it.
I was going to keep my X for another year as it still works with slow downs here and there. And then I saw the trade-in offers.... The incentives to trade my X in through T-Mobile though was too much to pass up. NO way I could sell it for $615 now or in the future so take my phone and give me $$!!

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I'm considering upgrading my X to an iPhone 12 mini; I like the size of the X, but going up again in screen size for the 12 doesn't sit well with me (the comparisons of screen sizes that MacRumors posted was quite helpful). What are others thoughts on 6.1" vs 5.8"?

That blue is really nice. The only thing that could get me to consider a Pro is the pacific blue color, haha. For my use, the camera upgrade won't make much of a difference.

All that considered, my X battery capacity is at 92% and doesn't show much in terms of aging. Still mulling it over, I suppose.

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
I'm considering upgrading my X to an iPhone 12 mini; I like the size of the X, but going up again in screen size for the 12 doesn't sit well with me (the comparisons of screen sizes that MacRumors posted was quite helpful). What are others thoughts on 6.1" vs 5.8"?

That blue is really nice. The only thing that could get me to consider a Pro is the pacific blue color, haha. For my use, the camera upgrade won't make much of a difference.

All that considered, my X battery capacity is at 92% and doesn't show much in terms of aging. Still mulling it over, I suppose.
I think the size upgrade from X to 12 Pro isn’t as big as people are thinking it’s going to be. It’s slightly larger in body size but likely very minimal. The screen itself is probably going to look much larger. But people have put their XS and 11 Pro into cases of the 12 Pro for size comparisons and it doesn’t look like a huge size difference.

buckethead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008

I was going to do the mini also until I saw pictures of the X inside of 12 Pro cases. There are a couple of pictures in the accessories sub-forum. The 12 is barely any larger than the X which is what sold me on it. I ended up pre ordering the Pro as at 128gb it was only $120 more. Not sure I made the right call or not, but figured I would rather have the better camera than not and I do use the telephoto on my X a bit.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
If you're waiting for the notch to disappear, I highly doubt that'll happen till 2022 minimum. None of the early rumours suggest such a thing in 2021. I would get the 12 pro now, so you can justify an upgrade in 2022 or 2023.
Agreed. I don’t think it’s viable to depend on this to guide your purchasing.

Sometimes Apple just sticks to their guns about certain things usb-c (on iPhone), Face ID sensor arrays. So buy if you want the phone. If you can’t stand the notch, wait (or buy another manufacturer) but you may be waiting for some time or it will never come.

I think when a phone manufacturer develops in-screen Facial detection and in-screen fingerprint Id where there’s no lag and exceeds the current standards Apple will roll it out. But right now in-screen technology is still compromised (slight delay in Samsung flagship phones fingerprint unlock).

Maybe they’ll develop power button authentication on the iPhone but no rumors are indicating they are heading in that direction plus they are totally invested in Face ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechLord

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have an X with a new Apple installed battery. I had been planning on upgrading to the 12 pro but the camera difference between it and the Max has me really annoyed. I don't want the huge phone but do want the best camera. So I'm seriously considering waiting until next year on the hopes that they will equalize the cameras on the pro models. My X really still is a decent phone and I don't feel the pressure to upgrade that I've had in the past.
They will totally release those sensors coming from the max into the regular pro model. I guarantee it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.