Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you choose, Xbox One X or PS4 Pro?

• Xbox One X

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 42 44.7%

• Total voters

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
I thought it would be interesting to see where the forum users here lean, does being a Mac fan (assuming you are, since you post on here..) mean you avoid Windows and the Xbox or is it more that you see Playstation as a kindred spirit.

Please vote and post any thoughts/comments below!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I thought it would be interesting to see where the forum users here lean, does being a Mac fan (assuming you are, since you post on here..) mean you avoid Windows and the Xbox or is it more that you see Playstation as a kindred spirit.

Please vote and post any thoughts/comments below!

It's about the games...

I chose PS4 Pro (should've have gotten one) mainly because of the PSVR (big, big, fan).

XBox One X is sort of redundant if you already have a capable gaming PC...

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
It's about the games...

I chose PS4 Pro (should've have gotten one) mainly because of the PSVR (big, big, fan).

XBox One X is sort of redundant if you already have a capable gaming PC...

How many Mac users have a capable gaming pc though..

Reactions: bopajuice

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm going Xbox X, it's all about the graphic power and resolution.
PC wise you'd need to spend 800-1000 to get the same kinda results. X is a complete bargain.

What does suck is the none replaceable HDD still. MS could save some money put a smaller drive in and allow users to put in SSDs of their choice.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
The Xbox One S (and X I guess) have 4k Blu-Ray support so there's that. I feel the PS4 Pro was underwhelming and not really worth it.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
This is a good balanced review i watched yesterday

**Disclosure**, I've pre-registered now for the X

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yeah, i heard the same but the head of Sony came out and said at E3 they are going to "start looking at it soon"; which means they haven't kicked it off yet and its going to be a 2 year project meaning xmas 2019 at the earliest. I'd wager 2020 as components will have moved on by then and prices will be at the right place for a decent jump is spec over the X and pro.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yeah, i heard the same but the head of Sony came out and said at E3 they are going to "start looking at it soon"; which means they haven't kicked it off yet and its going to be a 2 year project meaning xmas 2019 at the earliest. I'd wager 2020 as components will have moved on by then and prices will be at the right place for a decent jump is spec over the X and pro.

They'll need the unit to come in at $399 plus a 50% adoption of 4K Panels...

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm ok with the price, the X is a bargain compared to a PC gaming rig.
My issue or want is SSD and replacement drives. I accept on the One you can use external drives, but its a pain. We have 3 Ones, (family room and kids have one each in their bedrooms) but i have to have 3TB external drives for each to store games long term. The main One has an internal 1TB SSD drive now which is much better than the standard internal drive 5400 HDD.

I'm looking forward to the games uplift both in terms of frame rates and quality on the X and you don't need patches unlike the pro.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
While Sony has more first party exclusives coming out soon (Detroit: Become Human, Spiderman, etc.), the Xbox One X will have the better hardware and it won't be close. Gotta look at it this way, are you more likely to play multi-plats or first-party titles? I am likely to play the following games mainly: NBA 2k, FIFA, NHL, Madden, WWE 2k, Assassin's Creed, Titanfall, Battlefield, Mass Effect, so the Xbox One X would work better for me with the higher end gaming capabilities.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
While Sony has more first party exclusives coming out soon (Detroit: Become Human, Spiderman, etc.), the Xbox One X will have the better hardware and it won't be close. Gotta look at it this way, are you more likely to play multi-plats or first-party titles? I am likely to play the following games mainly: NBA 2k, FIFA, NHL, Madden, WWE 2k, Assassin's Creed, Titanfall, Battlefield, Mass Effect, so the Xbox One X would work better for me with the higher end gaming capabilities.

This is why I will have both consoles with the PlayStation Pro and Xbox One X. PlayStation always has the more exclusive, sought after titles. Where the Xbox One X will give the gamer the edge with the most powerful gaming experience possible, assuming they have a 4K TV that will also enhance that.

Phil Spencer with Microsoft stated that The Xbox One X is not for everyone and it will bring a gaming experience that no other console will. I think this is what will separate the PlayStation from the Xbox, is they will offer two different features.

Reactions: rbrian and nviz22

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Xbox.

Heavy into skyrim and fallout 4 and sony got idiotic with how bethesda allows mods to run (no external resources, no scripting, etc). Which...basically wipes out most of the good mods out there I use already. Future proofing....a new ES or FO comes out next 2 years history will repeat.

Not optimistic about creative club (paid dlc they will have as a service, kind of like mods but not) and its success rate to gamble on sony. Pessimism stems from most mods I use are the ones most use. they are either ports (only original mod authors can submit, MA's of what I use in skyrim either left the game long ago, did not redevelop for SE and stayed oldrim....or have no interest in console porting) or would not be allowed anyway.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
This is why I will have both consoles with the PlayStation Pro and Xbox One X. PlayStation always has the more exclusive, sought after titles. Where the Xbox One X will give the gamer the edge with the most powerful gaming experience possible, assuming they have a 4K TV that will also enhance that.

Phil Spencer with Microsoft stated that The Xbox One X is not for everyone and it will bring a gaming experience that no other console will. I think this is what will separate the PlayStation from the Xbox, is they will offer two different features.

I am considering the Xbox One X over my Xbox One S for the specs. I play my Xbox the most since I love Halo MCC and play with my friend at least 3 times a week online. My 4k TV is a solid model that offers HDR, so I can always upgrade to the One X. I just got the Switch right now to compliment my 3DS.

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
I am considering the Xbox One X over my Xbox One S for the specs. I play my Xbox the most since I love Halo MCC and play with my friend at least 3 times a week online. My 4k TV is a solid model that offers HDR, so I can always upgrade to the One X. I just got the Switch right now to compliment my 3DS.

If you’re a big halo fan and have a 4K TV then the Xbox one x is made for you.

For me, I think unless there are more games I want to play I’m not sure it can get ahead of the PS4 and switch.

Plus remote play works on a Mac for ps4 but not for the xbox.

Loved the 360 though so we’ll see.

Reactions: nviz22

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Right now I have a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S, and honestly, I'm pondering dumping my Xbox and using the $500+ on building a small gaming PC.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I have my PS4 Pro currently and it pairs nicely with my 4K/HDR TV. It's a good console, but the Xbox X is going to be great and I will pre-Order on day one. So many promising titles coming out in 2018 that will test the true potential of the Xbox X. The only problem for me is waiting for all these amazing titles not out for another year.

Reactions: nviz22

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
One X for me.

I am drawn more to their eco system and offerings such as EA Access, much better deals, and also their Games with Gold blows away PS+.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Between the two, PS4 Pro for sure. Sony's line up of exclusives like Bloodborne, Horizon and Persona (just to name a few) cannot be gotten anywhere else and they appeal to me. Microsoft's exclusives are hit and miss for me and you can get a lot of their exclusive games like Forza and Gears of War on PC now, so there's really little to no incentive for me to buy any iteration of the Xbox One

Reactions: 0928001

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
One X for me.

I am drawn more to their eco system and offerings such as EA Access, much better deals, and also their Games with Gold blows away PS+.

Can you expand on why your drawn to their ecosystem, I'm interested as assume your a mac user. Thanks!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Can you expand on why your drawn to their ecosystem, I'm interested as assume your a mac user. Thanks!

I thought I expounded on that a bit when I explained the EA Access, better deals and games with gold being a vast superior product than PS+ imo and I own both platforms.

I just prefer the XB complete package.

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
I thought I expounded on that a bit when I explained the EA Access, better deals and games with gold being a vast superior product than PS+ imo and I own both platforms.

I just prefer the XB complete package.

EA Access is definitely a great deal if you play a lot of EA titles. Their ecosystem is essentially windows though, you don't quite get the full benefits being a mac user (no streaming games, no universal games etc)

I'd have thought most mac users would be drawn to the PS4.

I prefer the Xbox controller and the brand feels a little more mature but windows & ecosystem are more negatives than positives (to me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.