Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you choose, Xbox One X or PS4 Pro?

• Xbox One X

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 42 44.7%

• Total voters

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I would say I am platform agnostic. As I said before, I have had every platform since Dreamcast and have felt different companies ahead of the pack at different times. To me Microsoft is pretty far behind this generation. The biggest piece of evidence that dooms them in my eyes is that the two games vying for GOTY are not available on Xbox. In fact, Xbox has nothing that even approaches GOTY (for the current year) status at this point. I understand that not everyone is into the exclusives on other platforms, and in that case, the Xbox can make a fine choice. However, when you are not even in the discussion for GOTY, it makes it tough to make a lot of headway, especially when all of your games are available on PC which is even more powerful than the most powerful console ever.

From my view, the Xbox has the superior controller, better online experience, more powerful when the X arrives (though I don’t think as much more as MS wants you to believe), and Ultra HD Blu-ray. Even with all those adavantages they are getting crushed in sales. The reason is game library. Sony simply has a far superior library of games and has focused on games from the beginning of this generation. If Microsoft could match them in games, the Xbox would kill. But MS is more interested in trying to make the Xbox something people don’t want. First it was a media PC and now it’s a Windows 10 box on your TV. They need to get some games.

You keep mentioning game library, and I think you are way off on that. The gaming library is huge on the Xbox, specially with the backwards compatibility to the 360, and they are exapnding that to go back to the original xbox.

Reactions: 44267547

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
The biggest piece of evidence that dooms them in my eyes is that the two games vying for GOTY are not available on Xbox. In fact, Xbox has nothing that even approaches GOTY (for the current year) status at this point.
Out of interest, what are the two games you're thinking of?

I'd guess the game of the year candidates would include Zelda on the Wii U / Switch. Away from console games, Lone Echo - that's the first thing I've played in a few years that's totally amazed me, everyone should try it. If not that, my choice would be Prey, which is multiformat.

edit: I played the Prey demo on Xbox One but then bought it on PC so I could crank up the settings and not play at 30 fps. So there's a reason (sort of) for the Xbox One X to exist.

Last edited:

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
Out of interest, what are the two games you're thinking of?

I'd guess the game of the year candidates would include Zelda on the Wii U / Switch. Away from console games, Lone Echo - that's the first thing I've played in a few years that's totally amazed me, everyone should try it. If not that, my choice would be Prey, which is multiformat.

edit: I played the Prey demo on Xbox One but then bought it on PC so I could crank up the settings and not play at 30 fps. So there's a reason (sort of) for the Xbox One X to exist.

He's referencing Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda. Though I thought Witcher 3 was a candidate?

Xbox one X may well win some converts but it does need more games, unless there really does happen to be a real performance difference (the faux 4k vs real 4k doesn't do it).

MS get a lot of things right but I don't think they should have included the 4k Blu ray, they don't sell well and it's clear streaming is the future (and present?)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
He's referencing Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda. Though I thought Witcher 3 was a candidate?
Witcher 3 is more than two years old!

I think all new consoles from now are likely to follow the Xbox One X / PS4 Pro model. You can jump in now and get the same games with slightly better performance or you can wait a couple of years for the next upgrade but it will still be mostly the same games across the whole Xbox / PS ecosystem. Eventually they'll start trimming the oldest models from the bottom, just like Apple does.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
BaronS is correct. Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda are the two games that fighting for GOTY, although it sounds like Person 5 (PS4 exclusive) is making a lot of noise. Witcher 3 was released in 2015 I think. No Xbox (even multiplat that includes Xbox) game is seriously in contention.

As for the library argument I keep bringing up, I think it is valid. Nearly every top game is available on PS4 as well. Many of the best games on PS4 are only available on PS4. Again, if you don't like that type of game, then yeah, the gap is not a big.

Lastly, I do not see backwards compatibility to Xbox 360 and the OG Xbox to be a huge plus. Go back and play those games. Many of them do not stand the test of time. To be fair some do, but many of those already have a remastered version available on the One and PS4. I think the argument that someone will buy the most powerful (and expensive) console to play a ten year old game that hasn't been updated is a bit of a stretch.

If Microsoft were churning out 1st party titles on par with Sony, then I would have definitely kept my Xbox. As it is, Halo is tired, I have never been a Gears fan (also tired), and racing games aren't enough to sell me a system.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
The one with the user replaceable hdd but honestly I will be waiting a bit. Sony is said to launch their new console by Christmas 18 in Japan.

My problem with consoles is easy for 400 to 500 bucks I can buy a gpu that runs most titles on high graphics for my Pc.

And when it comes down to fun and quality nothing beats Nintendo and their Mario, Zelda titles

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
They were announced at E3 and MS had many more than sony. Games don't need to be exclusive, its a silly model that's thankfully going away in the main but clearly the studios owned by SEC are only going make PS4 games.

There's some top games with visuals beyond what the PS4 pro can every hope to produce in the works.
Futures looking good on X.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
They were announced at E3 and MS had many more than sony. Games don't need to be exclusive, its a silly model that's thankfully going away in the main but clearly the studios owned by SEC are only going make PS4 games.

There's some top games with visuals beyond what the PS4 pro can every hope to produce in the works.
Futures looking good on X.
That is literally the selling point of a console. If Mario and Zelda were not exclusives, how many people would've bought a Wii U to play Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3D World when they could have bought them for PS4 or Xbox One?

I'm not going to argue that platform exclusive games are a good thing, but they exist and aren't going to go away. In general, third party exclusives are starting to dry up but some are still going to exist and first party games will of course remain exclusive. In that case, especially since so many third party games are also available on PC, it's difficult to make a case for Xbox One in the event that any PS4 exclusive game appeals to you AND you also own a PC.

If I want to play Forza or Gears of War, I'm going to be able to do that on my PC as well. If I want to play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn or The Last Guardian (just to name a few), I can only play that on Playstation. So for someone like me that owns a relative good PC, the Xbox One isn't attractive at all especially when you consider that I don't have a 4K TV.

For those that have a 4K TV and don't want to play games on their PC / don't own a PC, I can see how the Xbox One X can be quite compelling, especially with its additional horsepower. I'm hoping Microsoft can actually make use of the power of the Xbox One X and have developers make games in a way where you can see a significant difference in visual fidelity, quality and/or frame rate, more than what we've seen on the PS4 Pro. But as long as the base Xbox One is still around, most developers are still likely going to code primarily for the bottom line.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I wouldn't say its the selling point, id say its the lure.

But i've done multiple consoles in the past and I'm just not doing it again. Historically there were reasons, i.e. the completely different architecture, where as now they are on the same platform but different ends of the performance scale. I'm going with the biggest, best bad ass there is - if a developer doesn't want to bring their game/s to that platform they won't see money from me, i'll just spend it with someone else lots of good games in the pipeline. It's a business model that's decreasing and that's a good thing for gamers all around.

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
I agree the base models of the consoles are holding things back a little (plus the cpu) otherwise the one x would be a better option. I may switch if I finish my backlog and the one x shows a real performance increase on multi plats.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I currently have a PS4 and Xbox One S. I didn't bother with the PS4 Pro as I stick to the Xbox One for Multiplatform games as Live is head and shoulders above all of the other console platforms and all of my friends do the same. The xbox gamepad is also far superior to the dual shock pad.

I buy the exclusive stuff for the PS4, uncharted etc which are great games but GT has been superseded by Forza since Forza 3 on Xbox. Looking forward to the Xbox One X as I can just whip the One S out and plug the X straight in its place, hook up my external drive and away I go on my 4K tv. I use my MacBook Pro for World of Warcraft and don't really play any PC games although my son has a GTX 1080 powered rig which I occasionally have a blast on.

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
Now that the Xbox one X is available to pre-order, has anyone changed their mind or now plans to switch?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've decided to put this year's gaming upgrade fund towards a high-end steering wheel for racing games rather than a new console. I think it would have been the same even if I was into the Playstation "ecosystem" because the PS4 Pro doesn't really offer anything new, but particularly since I've got an Xbox and a PC my upgrade path is already determined. The Xbox One X gives me nothing I don't already have, so I'll be playing Forza 7 on PC with a nice new wheel.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I would imagine as the situation around games and the graphical capabilities moves forward you'll begin to see a change/shift in owners. Futures looking bright for the the X that's for sure.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
I really like the XBOX One X, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably get the PS4 Pro because of all the exclusives.

Reactions: wchigo

Larry_Gilmore

Suspended
Oct 11, 2017
Both are really awesome and popular game console. But I like PS more than Xbox. PlayStation gamepad it's very easily for playing the game. I can easily use PS gamepad more than Xbox and PS4 gamepad and design are really awesome and graphics also. :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
That is literally the selling point of a console. If Mario and Zelda were not exclusives, how many people would've bought a Wii U to play Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3D World when they could have bought them for PS4 or Xbox One?
A lot more than you think. The average PS4 fan does not favour overly bright non serious games like what Nintendo (mostly) puts out. They favour the more realistic or more gritty style of game.

Also Nintendo understands (like Apple does) what vertical integration of siftware and hardware ingtegrated together is and how that helps both shine.

My vote would go to the PS4 simple because it has a wider range of exclusives and games not on the Xbox the the Xbox has exclusives.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I have always been a PlayStation player starting with the very first generation. I still own PS4, but I also have an Xbox One S. Both are great, but I really like the Xbox better and cannot wait to play with Xbox One X.

Elite controller + XBX + 4K HDR TV = Best console experience ever, in my opinion. Adding a gaming rig with Oculus Rift and Steam to the mix is just the cherry on top.

Why do I like the Xbox better?

It started with external storage (something PS4 corrected). The operating system, user interface, ability to connect the cable box, and the lack of forced updates made it much better for me. Turning on PlayStation for a quick NHL 17 game only to be told you must update the console in order to play is bogus. Plus, Xbox handles background app updates much more smoothly. Even major updates are done when the console is not in use. You return to a console that is ready for you. Xbox Live is more stable and reliable, in my opinion. Xbox Game Pass is vastly better as you actually download the title for super smooth gameplay. Streaming on PS4 was always choppy (I have Comcast Blast, so plenty of bandwidth). Game Pass costs 1/2, too. Plus, I get it free anyway (and you can, too).

Last, being able to stream Xbox games to PC, being able to remotely turn on the console to install a game, so it’s ready after work, is really great.

Elite controller is possibly the best one on the market today. Love it.

Being able to play 4K HDR movies is also a plus.

The only reason why I am keeping PS4 is the Uncharted series. Best games ever made. I won’t be renewing PS Plus even though I do think that PlayStation seems to offer better monthly “free” games an average. I just rarely play it now. Both Xbox Live and PS Plus deliver awesome value. Can’t go wrong with either one.

But this is why a lifelong PS fan is now waiting for the Scorpio preorder to ship. Xbox won me over...

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
You've got to be one of the only people I've ever heard say the user interface is better on the One than PS4.
I was always an XBOX fan over PS, but this generation, MS seems to be going out of their way to destroy the XBOX dashboard and interface, swapping usability with adverts and tucking useful features behind menus after menus.

It's a shame as years ago on the 360 they had the dashboard absolutely spot on.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I've just bought a One X Project Scorpio edition. My last console was the original PS3 back in 2007 so thought it was time I got a new one. A friend has a PS4 Pro and I was a bit underwhelmed by it. I did a lot of research and the XBox One X swung it for me with the sheer power and graphical capability for a console.

So far games I have are (only had it a week)

Assassins Creed Origins
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Game of the Year Edition
Star Wars Battlefront II
F1 2017
Minecraft (for the ankle biters)
Rise of the Tomb Raider

So far I've been mightily impressed with it.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I am absolutely loving One X and have not even turned on the PS4 in months. The One S is also still getting used and the way save data syncs via cloud is smooth and seamless. I love it. It's a fantastic console.

Plus, Microsoft just announced that all new exclusives -- Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 will be available on launch day on Game Pass on day one. I got the annual subscription free through Bing rewards. So, now I will get three $60 launch titles free... How could I possibly find time to play PS4?

Reactions: AFEPPL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.